Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Big Willy Style posted:

Sandy us usually short for Sandra and Alexsandra, I thought Sandy Mitchell was a chick at first too.

Me too! I was like "Wow, women are writing WH40K-books, how cool!" Then I was severely disappointed. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
The first Gaunts books are certainly outclassed by later Abnett writing, but not to the point where I would call the first bad by comparison. If someone is able to read The Founding and not be hooked they may as well stop...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Libluini posted:

Me too! I was like "Wow, women are writing WH40K-books, how cool!" Then I was severely disappointed. :argh:

Sarah Cawkwell has a couple full-length novels out. They're not really that special but not awful eitehr.

LabiaBadgerTickler
Feb 12, 2014

by Ralp

Serpentis posted:

Abnett has written an awful lot of one-offs I'd love to see sequels to, to be honest. Double Eagle being the top of the list - I still have the hardback with the two pages about the suicide printed in reverse order kicking around.

I'm not the biggest Abnett fan, but I did love Titanicus.

With the age black library is now, I'd have thought that they would be more focused on creating some books for adults to read. For me, at lot of the books are aimed younger teenagers who just want to see space marines twatting space marines. I've found it really hard to justify buying a Black Library novel recently. Not to mention the current state of the Horus Heresy novels. I know this is a basically a money making machine for them but really? loving 3 anthologies in a row that add nothing to the actual Heresy itself?

gently caress right off.

Plus, they can go gently caress themselves with their novellas as well. £30 for a limited edition never to be reprinted again book is fine. What's not fine is waiting 2 years and re-printing the story in a £7.99 anothology book like the first White Scars novella. It's an insult.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You seem to be hoping, as we all did once, that GW would focus on having a quality range of products to suit all levels of interest rather than trying to sell the most possible plastic spacemans to Jim McAverage 12 year old boy, who walked into the store on his birthday with bulging pockets and will leave, never to be seen again, with no money and instead a pile of plastic that will almost certainly never be assembled, painted or played with, leaving Jim to wish in later years that he hung onto that money to spend on booze or cocaine or something.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 20, 2015

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Poor girl...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mange Mite posted:

Sarah Cawkwell has a couple full-length novels out. They're not really that special but not awful eitehr.

Nik Vincent has also done some 40K stuff. She's Dan Abnett's wife.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Im with the above posters i use to love buying black library novels when they were priced at mass market book value. I am so confused by 30$ for teen fiction. Its barely passable when its written by Abnett or ADB even then i would only pay 7.99 for it.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Greataval posted:

Im with the above posters i use to love buying black library novels when they were priced at mass market book value. I am so confused by 30$ for teen fiction. Its barely passable when its written by Abnett or ADB even then i would only pay 7.99 for it.

Or how about audiobooks straight to download for a mere 34 euros per MP3.

Geeze I thought PC gaming was an expensive hobby at times. Black Library audiobooks ranks somewhere around "snorting gold dust" as expensive habits goes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Looking at the prices on Audible (now owned by Amazon), that's about a 50% mark-up on what a similar length book would cost if you bought one there, of course you could get it even cheaper by using a Audible credit.

Of course we can't do a direct comparison because the special snowflakes that are Black Library books are far to refined to be sold on the most popular audiobook site in the world.

Edit: I have to agree with the complaints about the Horus Heresy as well. The stalling is just becoming insulting. Books like The Damnation of Pythos which don't advance the storyline an iota are bad enough. The fact that it was also tedious rubbish whose plot would barely stretch to have covered a novella doesn't help the situation any.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 20, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deptfordx posted:

Looking at the prices on Audible (now owned by Amazon), that's about a 50% mark-up on what a similar length book would cost if you bought one there, of course you could get it even cheaper by using a Audible credit.

Of course we can't do a direct comparison because the special snowflakes that are Black Library books are far to refined to be sold on the most popular audiobook site in the world.

Edit: I have to agree with the complaints about the Horus Heresy as well. The stalling is just becoming insulting. Books like The Damnation of Pythos which don't advance the storyline an iota are bad enough. The fact that it was also tedious rubbish whose plot would barely stretch to have covered a novella doesn't help the situation any.

As I understand it, a large part of the holdup is that Abnett is booked for Master of Mankind, which is supposed to be the next overall plot-advancing story, and Abnett's busy with non-40k stuff these days.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Nope, that's on ADB's plate: https://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/heresy-black-legion-chatter-in-the-mail-this-morning/

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Oh dear god I can't believe the Lion punched Nemiel's head off

What the christ. This character has been through two books already and is well established and this is how his story ends?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Gav Thorpe is a very bad writer who has no idea of subtlety.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Zephyrine posted:

Oh dear god I can't believe the Lion punched Nemiel's head off

What the christ. This character has been through two books already and is well established and this is how his story ends?

Yeah I was super surprised at that, especially as I hadn't read Fallen Angels yet. Maybe he'll pull an Eidolon and get stitched back together.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah I was super surprised at that, especially as I hadn't read Fallen Angels yet. Maybe he'll pull an Eidolon and get stitched back together.

And it does absolutely nothing to carry the plot. Just "Here's an established character, Whoops now he's dead and lets never mention it again"

I thought the story was building up to him facing his cousin since they had gone down such radically different paths.

It feels like the author hasn't even read the previous. His Nemiel nothing like the person in previous books but I just assumed it was a character arc.

Now it looks more like the authors are playing the "three word game" Previous author spends two books on a character, then they hand over the book and the latest one goes "and then his head fell off and he died" back to you.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 21, 2015

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
It is acknowledgement of how poo poo those 2 DA books were.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Big Willy Style posted:

It is acknowledgement of how poo poo those 2 DA books were.

Those books left me with a ton of question. Like why Luther and Zahariel were banished. Something that hopefully receives a very sensible answer later on.

Or how I was probably half way through the first book before I had any idea what the culture on Caliban was like.

First they're knights fighting dangerous monsters with swords and armour. I could accept that.

But then they had guns... Alright I guess... Maybe they're some sort of flintlock pistol. Except the guns had magazines and how are they even maintaining or making ammunition for these things?

Then all of a sudden the knights are out in the forest and one knight talks to another knight through his helmet vox. Which turned everything around again because as far as I knew there wasn't even electricity on this world but now they have power armour, bolt guns and vox units.

Also there's the whole thing where the people living "on" Caliban refer to themselves as living "on" Caliban. People who live in places refer to themselves as living "in" places, not "on" places. Tourists are "on" places.

A person from Ireland does not refer to themselves as living "on" Ireland while a tourist may have been "on" Ireland. An Irish person lives "in" Ireland.

The people living there express themselves as if they just just landed on the planet last week. Except that Caliban is all they know or have ever known. Terra is just an old myth as far as most people are concerned. And why does Zahariel make a monologue about how harsh and unfair life on Caliban is? It's the only life he has ever know. He has nothing to make a comparison to in order to judge Caliban as unreasonable harsh.

Oh and why would someone living in Caliban refer to a Lion as a "Calibanite Lion"? Wouldn't that just be a "Lion"?

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 21, 2015

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Voyager I posted:

I read a Cain omnibus and it was pretty good for a laugh, but my god how many times is she going to recycle the "Cain volunteers for nominally dangerous assignment far away form where he anticipates main action > Cain uncovers additional, vastly more dangerous enemy plot > Cain is forced to engage and overcome newly discovered threat at great personal risk, is celebrated for heroism" structure?

Having only read the first ominbus, I am going to assume the answer is "every time".

George MacDonald Fraser managed it for what 12 or so flashman books and they are all literally exactly that, and they are all brilliant. Sandy's not as good, cain is no flashman and the grim dark future is no 19th century, but they're fun. That's what they're supposed to be. Just that. A good pulp read. They aren't supposed to be anything else.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Zephyrine posted:

Or how I was probably half way through the first book before I had any idea what the culture on Caliban was like.

First they're knights fighting dangerous monsters with swords and armour. I could accept that.

But then they had guns... Alright I guess... Maybe they're some sort of flintlock pistol. Except the guns had magazines and how are they even maintaining or making ammunition for these things?

Then all of a sudden the knights are out in the forest and one knight talks to another knight through his helmet vox. Which turned everything around again because as far as I knew there wasn't even electricity on this world but now they have power armour, bolt guns and vox units.

They're not fighting in medieval times

They have power armour and stuff from before the Age of Strife, just no way of making new stuff, only repairing it. Probably best not think too hard about the ammo

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

They have power armour and stuff from before the Age of Strife, just no way of making new stuff, only repairing it. Probably best not think too hard about the ammo

Don't think too hard about their ages, either. Aren't they around 10 or 11 when their training starts?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Skarsnik posted:

Or the horses they ride

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Skarsnik posted:

But the story makes it seem like medieval times for a very long time.

They're knights in stone fortresses who ride horses while wearing armour and wielding swords.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Zephyrine posted:

Also there's the whole thing where the people living "on" Caliban refer to themselves as living "on" Caliban. People who live in places refer to themselves as living "in" places, not "on" places. Tourists are "on" places.

So you would say that you live in Earth?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Zephyrine posted:

Those books left me with a ton of question. Like why Luther and Zahariel were banished. Something that hopefully receives a very sensible answer later on.

A person from Ireland does not refer to themselves as living "on" Ireland while a tourist may have been "on" Ireland. An Irish person lives "in" Ireland.

The people living there express themselves as if they just just landed on the planet last week. Except that Caliban is all they know or have ever known. Terra is just an old myth as far as most people are concerned. And why does Zahariel make a monologue about how harsh and unfair life on Caliban is? It's the only life he has ever know. He has nothing to make a comparison to in order to judge Caliban as unreasonable harsh.

Oh and why would someone living in Caliban refer to a Lion as a "Calibanite Lion"? Wouldn't that just be a "Lion"?

Caliban is a planet, dude.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Zephyrine posted:

But the story makes it seem like medieval times for a very long time.

They're knights in stone fortresses who ride horses while wearing armour and wielding swords.

Yeah that was the point, its a common SF trope to depict an ancient or primitive society whilst showing them to have a few pieces of advanced technology to play around with. That's basically the whole set up of the Dune books, a Feudalistic society (thanks to robot rebellions) but with atom bombs and lazers. Quite a few words in the Imperium are depicted as ye Olde but with Laz-locks or a functioning communications rely and space port while the rest are turn of the century farmers or spear wielding tribes.

The gradual reveal of the power armour and the like is supposed to be a surprise, one of the few things those books did well in my opinion.

Fried Chicken posted:

Or the horses they ride

I just assumed they were descended from the horses the original colonists brought with them.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fried Chicken posted:

Or the horses they ride

Power horses

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Baka-nin posted:

I just assumed they were descended from the horses the original colonists brought with them.

Allow me to clarify - the horses they ride while wearing multiple tons worth of power armor. The horses that aren't squashed flat by this. Those horses

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Those horses were raised or bred from stock that lived in much higher gravity enviorments and so as such have no problem carrying a few tons on their back.

:agesilaus:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Zephyrine posted:

This is the number one, all time biggest warning sign that an author is bad. You see it constantly in Scifi & fantasy, across film, TV, and literature. It is so obvious, so stupid, and so lazy. And yet it endures. It is the mistake of thinking that you cannot have something with a familiar name because that isn't exotic enough, so you stick a random planet (or whatever) name on to make it more distinct. It's loving silly. Either make up a totally unique name, or just call it a loving lion.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Fried Chicken posted:

Allow me to clarify - the horses they ride while wearing multiple tons worth of power armor. The horses that aren't squashed flat by this. Those horses

Yeah most breeds of horses are better at bearing weight then humans, which is why we ride them and use them to carry our stuff. If a human can carry a weight and still be able to move then there's no reason a horse couldn't. Granted it wouldn't be winning the Grand National or anything. I can't remember did the books say how much the armour weighed or did it just say the horses were armoured?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Obviously the horses also wear power armour.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
"There are no horses on Caliban."

:tinfoil:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah most breeds of horses are better at bearing weight then humans, which is why we ride them and use them to carry our stuff. If a human can carry a weight and still be able to move then there's no reason a horse couldn't. Granted it wouldn't be winning the Grand National or anything. I can't remember did the books say how much the armour weighed or did it just say the horses were armoured?

The soldiers don't carry the weight of the armour. The armour has gyros and things that whirr all the time and give them additional strength.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Don't forget about it making your teeth itch too.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

DirtyRobot posted:

"There are no horses on Caliban."

:tinfoil:

People, the solution is obvious. The 'Horses' are two guys in their own power armour in pantomine horse costumes.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Those aren't horses! You're just banging a couple of coconuts together!

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Terra is only a model.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Baka-nin posted:

1) humans aren't bearing the weight of the armor, the power armor is. That's why it is power armor
2) horses don't bear multiple tons on their spine when we have them carry our stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I don't think their power armor was anywhere close to approaching Astartes armor. I doubt it was multiple tons - I doubt Terminator armor is even a ton.