Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Even if your publisher knows (and I've met a few people who know who KJ Parker is) that doesn't mean they'll tell the world. So yeah, hush hush.

Some pseudonyms are purely for market purposes, and exist only to fool bookstore algorithms! Everyone knows Mira Grant is Seanan McGuire, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

thehomemaster posted:

Well now I have a question: how do you remain pseudonymous?

Like, surely you have to be paid with your real name, or do publishers just keep hush hush?

Sometimes publishers keep things hush hush. Sometimes publishers or others gently caress things up:

quote:

The Solicitors Regulation Authority has also issued a written rebuke to Christopher Gossage, of Russells solicitors, who confided to his wife's best friend that Robert Galbraith, author of The Cuckoo's Calling, was really one of the most famous and wealthy authors in the world.
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/dec/31/lawyer-uncovered-jk-rowling-robert-galbraith-fined-cuckoos-calling

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Stephen King created Richard Bachman so he could release more than one book a year, which I guess wasn't kosher in the 70s and 80s if you were a popular author.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

which I guess wasn't kosher in the 70s and 80s if you were a popular author.

What? Why was this?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

angel opportunity posted:

What? Why was this?

No clue, just what I found on the Bachman wiki page so it could be bullshit.

quote:

At the beginning of Stephen King's career, the general view among publishers was that an author was limited to one book per year, since publishing more would be unacceptable to the public.

edit: actually that comes straight from King's website -

quote:

I did that because back in the early days of my career there was a feeling in the publishing business that one book a year was all the public would accept but I think that a number of writers have disproved that by now.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 20, 2015

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Is there anything out there remotely like the Fallout and Wasteland games?
I know about the Silo saga and the Wasteland KS novels.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Some pseudonyms are purely for market purposes, and exist only to fool bookstore algorithms! Everyone knows Mira Grant is Seanan McGuire, for instance.

Also to trick unwary book buyers. When I worked in a bookstore, I noticed how all the authors shelved near or around Dan Brown suddenly had covers that looked eerily similar to the DaVinci Code.

Also known at the video store "Transmorphers" effect.

:v:

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

General Battuta posted:

They're also used if an author is very 'branded' in one genre and wants to expand to another without risking upsetting or misleading their existing fan base. Nora Roberts, who mostly does romance, writes near-future sci fi murder mysteries under the pen name J.D. Robb. Even though it still clearly says "WRITING AS" on the cover, and the books are shelved in a different part of the library, there would still be the occasional little old lady picking one of them up without paying attention and getting an unpleasant surprise.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

ravenkult posted:

Kim Stanley Robinson's The Wild Shore comes to mind, as do parts of Leibowitz.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I always figured that K.J. Parker was a pseudonym of Kij Johnson. I assume anything that K.J. Parker puts in bios or interviews is fake, intended to obfuscate the trail.

From my understanding, Kij grew up in either Minnesota or Iowa, and would have been a young adult during the huge farm crisis that hit in the early 80s. Tons of family farms, many which had been in the same family for generations, were failing. It really hit the area between her birthplace and college hard.

Even if the failed farm didn't happen to her family personally, she likely would have known people drastically affected by it. I live in southern Minnesota and people still occasionally talk about how bad it was, enough where I don't think it's weird when it keeps coming up in casual conversation.

Also, I could see wanting to use a pseudonym to avoid complications with her editing career, as the implication I've gotten from discussion concerning their identity is that the person is known within the industry and keeping their identity hidden makes a lot more sense if they aren't an author, but are involved at a high level on the editorial side.

Finally, the initials.

I'm probably wrong, but I'm used to that. I am looking forward to finding out tomorrow.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

ravenkult posted:

Fritz Leiber’s novella The Night of Long Knives. I got the impression when I read it that it may have inspired some of the elements from Fallout.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Azathoth posted:

I always figured that K.J. Parker was a pseudonym of Kij Johnson. I assume anything that K.J. Parker puts in bios or interviews is fake, intended to obfuscate the trail.

From my understanding, Kij grew up in either Minnesota or Iowa, and would have been a young adult during the huge farm crisis that hit in the early 80s. Tons of family farms, many which had been in the same family for generations, were failing. It really hit the area between her birthplace and college hard.

Even if the failed farm didn't happen to her family personally, she likely would have known people drastically affected by it. I live in southern Minnesota and people still occasionally talk about how bad it was, enough where I don't think it's weird when it keeps coming up in casual conversation.

Also, I could see wanting to use a pseudonym to avoid complications with her editing career, as the implication I've gotten from discussion concerning their identity is that the person is known within the industry and keeping their identity hidden makes a lot more sense if they aren't an author, but are involved at a high level on the editorial side.

Finally, the initials.

I'm probably wrong, but I'm used to that. I am looking forward to finding out tomorrow.

This makes a lot of sense (Johnson's publishing history even sort of matches up with Parker's) and would be really cool as I'm a big fan of Johnson, but their writing styles aren't even close. Johnson's prose is way more ornate, and she uses Japanese mythology as a touchstone while Parker seems to base everything she writes around the Roman/Byzantine empires. It could be possible but I'd be shocked.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
^^^^ Curse you.

Azathoth posted:

She doesn't really read like KJ Parker, though. Even the short stories.

Me, I have no idea who it is.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Well, poo poo, Christmas came early this year! Not quite sure how to feel about this; I'm a giant fan of Parker's work, so this has me wondering if this is gonna be like the day when we find out Santa Claus isn't real.

Still, if we must speculate, I'd always assumed Parker was Tom Holt's wife, if not Holt himself. They were both solicitors, a job neither of them liked, they live in the same area, and Holt's always the first name that comes up when people discuss Parker. His comic fantasies don't read like Parker's work, but I read one of his earlier historical-fictional duologies (Goatsong and The Walled Orchard, the memoirs of a comic playwright living in Athens during the Peloponnesian War) and they're very reminiscent of Parker. Same sort of protagonist, same handling of battles, same ironizing worldview that inadequately hides a faint despair over the folly and absurdity of Man...

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

My left-field, uniformed guess is that its going to turn out to be some moderately popular, well-respected female author who has zero connection to SF/F and writes in another genre entirely. Someone like Kate Atkinson or Hilary Mantel.

Or it's Vox Day.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Watch it turn out to be someone completely out of left field, like J.M. Coetzee, or R.A. Salvatore. Or J.K. Rowling.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Admittedly, the vastly different styles is pretty damning to my argument. I think such connections as I drew could be drawn for any number of potential authors. I find such speculation fun, in its own way.

Popular Human posted:

My left-field, uniformed guess is that its going to turn out to be some moderately popular, well-respected female author who has zero connection to SF/F and writes in another genre entirely. Someone like Kate Atkinson or Hilary Mantel.

Or it's Vox Day.
Comedy option: Margaret Atwood got so pissed at having her work lumped into SF/F that she started writing depressing as gently caress SF/F under K.J. Parker to mess with genre fans.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Or J.K. Rowling.
I want this to be true so goddamn bad.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
After this there'll be no more secrets left in SF/F, apart from exactly how fat Greg Egan is.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I mostly want KJ Parker to come out as some ridiculous hack, like John Ringo or Larry Correia.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
All I know for sure is I'm not KJ Parker.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

All I know for sure is I'm not KJ Parker.

Me neither.

edit: Though to be fair, this is exactly what I would say if I were KJ Parker and wanted to keep my identity a secret.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Watch it turn out to be someone completely out of left field, like J.M. Coetzee, or R.A. Salvatore. Or J.K. Rowling.

RL Stine

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Azathoth posted:

I want this to be true so goddamn bad.

Never gonna happen, but it would be funny as hell to watch Parker become the top-selling fantasy writer literally overnight.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
KJ Parker
JK Rowling

JK...KJ

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
KJ Parker..

Parker..

ar... er...

Harper...

Harper Lee???

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up. Book 2 of the Revanche series is up and available.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WFDFR80

Same dude who did the Daniel Faust series, but this series is so much more incredibly bleak.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I just finished reading A Colder War and want to read more things like that - should I continue on with Charles Stross? I want to feel the terror of the ancients. Let me know if I should move this to the COSMIC HORROR thread instead.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hedrigall posted:

After this there'll be no more secrets left in SF/F, apart from exactly how fat Greg Egan is.

He doesn't read as a super fat dude. No one who personally goes on a sightseeing/research trip to Iran can be that fat.

Edit: He's also a vegetarian.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 21, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
A colder war is most similar to his "Laundry Files" in setting. But nothing else he's written is really quite like it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Missile Gap isn't bad. Not a perfect fit, but pretty good all the same.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
KJ Parker is clearly Stanislaw Lem writing under an assumed name after having faked his death. The SFWA can't reject him now!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Phobophilia posted:

He doesn't read as a super fat dude. No one who personally goes on a sightseeing/research trip to Iran can be that fat.

Edit: He's also a vegetarian.

Oh, I assumed because he's never been sighted and doesn't attend conventions etc, that he was like a 800 pound bedridden dude emailing new books to his agent every few years.

... but seriously, he's a great writer.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ravenkult posted:

I want to say that there was a poo poo-ton of post-apocalyptic stuff published back in the 1980s and before, but right now I can't actually think of any titles worth recommending. Lots of it was unmemorable crap, I'm afraid.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
On the Beach
Damnation Alley
This Immortal

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Seconding On the Beach (Nevil Shute) for post-apocalyptic.
Alas, Babylon (Pat Frank) and Day of the Triffids (John Wyndham) are also great. Day of the Triffids has some pretty good prescient technology considering it was written before Sputnik or much of the Cold War. Both of these cover a more extended decay period than On the Beach.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 21, 2015

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

ravenkult posted:

I just read the Harlan Ellison short story "A boy and his dog", which apparently inspired a great deal of post-apoc fiction (fallout included).

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

rchandra posted:

Seconding On the Beach (Nevil Shute) for post-apocalyptic.
Alas, Babylon (Pat Frank) and Day of the Triffids (John Wyndham) are also great. Day of the Triffids has some pretty good prescient technology considering it was written before Sputnik or much of the Cold War. Both of these cover a more extended decay period than On the Beach.

Add "Earth Abides" to the list. That one is a really moving novel,

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just a heads up. Book 2 of the Revanche series is up and available.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WFDFR80

Same dude who did the Daniel Faust series, but this series is so much more incredibly bleak.

Woot. Thank you. Been looking forward to this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hedrigall posted:

Arthur C Clarke invented the geostationary communication satellite. Greg Egan invented something for it to orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Iron Lung posted:

I just finished reading A Colder War and want to read more things like that - should I continue on with Charles Stross? I want to feel the terror of the ancients. Let me know if I should move this to the COSMIC HORROR thread instead.

For me, Tim Powers' Declare, though different in style, produced very much the same subject-matter sensations as A Colder War.