Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Ugh :barf:

I can see how vaping tobacco might be good for people who want to quit cigarettes or chewing products but then there's probably 2x as many people who do this and are basically doubling down on their addictions.

"But its LITE beer..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So I passed a Ford Ranger in traffic. As I went by, the passenger side window came down and a huge billow of smoke came out. Cigarette, Cigar, 420, Vape, or meltdown? I'll never know for sure, but it was definitely :stonk:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

So I passed a Ford Ranger in traffic. As I went by, the passenger side window came down and a huge billow of smoke came out. Cigarette, Cigar, 420, Vape, or meltdown? I'll never know for sure, but it was definitely :stonk:

Today is 4/20/2015. You know exactly what it was.....

....the car burning down.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

steam punk robot penises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCfHSH_v4sw

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sigma X posted:

My friend and coworker, who I've known for 8 years at this point, switched from smoking to vaping about two weeks ago. I don't know what a "normal" amount of vaping is, but I know she's taking 5-8 long pulls about every 8-10 minutes at this point.

i know for me using 6mg/ml juice i would take one to three big hits every minute for 10-15 minutes at a time.

i vaped the equivalent of 2 - 3 packs of cigs a day

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

No kidding -- that's exactly what it looked like

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

holy poo poo this is amazing

and also why i never hung out at shops

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Geirskogul posted:

That's better.

I have nothing else to do here in Cuba. Give me paint ideas.

1500quidporsche posted:

Its still nicotine though which is my primary problem. I don't want to go through life needing something every 30 minutes.

How's that oxygen doing for you? :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Nicotine is regarded by some as carcinogenic :v:

i just gave my brother my ecig so here's to hoping that helps the temptation go away. Even though i woke up feeling better today now that I'm stressed out studying for finals all i can think about is pulling out my vape and hitting it for a very long time

bend
Dec 31, 2012
I should probably try and quit again this week. I usually end up failing when the missus starts in about being a grumpy prick though, which amazes me since she quit last year. Still, not her fault I can't manage it, I think i'll take the vapor genie and disappear into the bush for 8 hours a day, might help avoiding people.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Bentley is now in country, and should be here in a weeks time. :boom:

I went straight from radiation to hiking for three hours with the dog, i think i have actually overdid it. came home and slept for 3 hours. the weekends rc racing went pretty good considering i have not testet the car since january, and never on astro for this chassis. I even got to wreck the day (and buggy) of a idiot who ignored blue flag rules :unsmigghh:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So, Freiburger has kinda been hinting a lot about the possibility of them doing a Hellcat swap on the Roadkill Charger, and they uploaded this about half an hour ago:

That's the old 440 from the Charger on that pallet. This is gonna be awesome :getin:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

How's that oxygen doing for you? :v:

Nicotene, now as neccessary as oxygen :v:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Nicotene, now as neccessary as oxygen :v:

It sounds stupid but that's pretty much how I've rationalized smoking. For the longest time I was convinced I would instantly be bad at everything if I quit smoking.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/20/automakers-gearheads-car-repairs/

Hahaha gently caress no.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

All those jokes about Apple making cars, but the real threat was automakers turning into Apple. HOW HAVE WE BEEN SO BLIND

But yeah, HA if this actually goes anywhere.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

from my cold dead hands

I mean, car driving does cause tens of thousands of deaths per year, we should probably put more restrictions on it, maybe keep people from buying supercars especially if they have black interiors and manual transmissions. Modification should be strictly illegal without justification and a notary stamp.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

from my cold dead hands

I mean, car driving does cause tens of thousands of deaths per year, we should probably put more restrictions on it, maybe keep people from buying supercars especially if they have black interiors and manual transmissions. Modification should be strictly illegal without justification and a notary stamp.

Evil Black Racecar?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

from my cold dead hands

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Yeah, they can gently caress right off.

I do appreciate the article specifically mentions the GM ignition switch issue right after quoting GM's concerns. :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Yup brother's timing belt is snapped. There's loose belt teeth floating around the engine bay and in the street. That's three cars out of action since Friday afternoon. That's enough, things can stop breaking now.

I know we have a few midwest people in this thread. Any of those have experience in power distribution, liquid/air cooling or high power density computing? Dad's been trying to fill a position for a while and has asked me to mention it to people I know. Position is in Chippewa Falls, WI. Thought I'd toss it out here. Anyone interested PM me.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 20, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sadly after the experience with my loving "Commodore", the manufacturers are going to get to that point anyway. I've bought the last new car I will ever have, I can see where this is all going wether we like it or not. Well gently caress em, no more money from me.

Like they will care anyway, people that want to work on cars are already an endangered species, selling an appliance to the vast majority who only want appliances makes much more money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Like they will care anyway, people that want to work on cars are already an endangered species

Seriously. Spent a few hours blasting down the freeway with my old man in his C63, and as our conversations invariably do, it turned to whatever poo poo we've been doing on our cars. I mentioned doing a fairly straightforward ATF change on my WJ, and he comes back with what he had to do to change the ATF in the C63:

That's right, instead of a funnel you now need a special tool to fill the loving transmission. At least it's one you can fabricate since it's basically the same principle as a DIY pressure bleeder for brakes, but this is still the way things are going.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Land Rover did one better and you actually need to vacuum out the old oil in order to do an oil change on the latest LR4 and Range Rover. :psyduck:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Saw Electric Wizard last week, tonight's plans are shaping up nicely :getin:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, called into work again.

Not complaining, I need all the hours I can get.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Holy balls I didn't realize they were touring! It'd be super rad if they did a set that was Dopesmoker in its entirety.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Dude look at the date and only tour stops listed hahaha

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I love living here. My roommie and I are smoking a blunt in the living room when are landlord comes over with a tray full of burgers and hotdogs from his kid's party.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Chicagoons - I have arrived and in need of food. Help a car-less goon find some decent food. Any good burger joints near The Mart?

Edit: going to head towards this place called "vinyl". Will report back.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 21, 2015

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

That is so awesome. Enjoy the show!

I'm fighting a fever today which is annoying, but the day just got better when I realized I'd somehow missed a new episode of Project Binky. Yay! :yotj:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

Latest regular car reviews is up. It's a grand national this week.

Yeah that was one of his better videos. I'm sort of shocked dude has done so well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Almost all the parts for the 3D printer that I've 3D printed are complete :getin:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

CommieGIR posted:

Almost all the parts for the 3D printer that I've 3D printed are complete :getin:

Oh poo poo, this is how the revolution begins. It's printers printing printers today, tomorrow machines making machines, the day after global apocalypse :tinfoil:

I really really want to get a 3D printer one day, they look like so much fun to tinker with, and think off all the problems you could solve by just printing the part you need.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bajaha posted:

think off all the problems you could solve by just printing the part you need.

..out of really brittle, coarse plastic. Neat for prototyping, or if you want to make a positive for a mold or something, but it's not like you can just print a replacement mechanical part most of the time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

..out of really brittle, coarse plastic. Neat for prototyping, or if you want to make a positive for a mold or something, but it's not like you can just print a replacement mechanical part most of the time.

Not essentially true, if you change the infill and shells properly, they are perfectly usable. Not to mention, add a heated bed and you can print with Nylon or ABS as well:

http://www.matterhackers.com/3d-printer-filament-compare

I'm actually printing the Belt Gears right now, and the extruder feed gears are also printed.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I was thinking more along the lines of making small interior trim pieces, gauge holders, replacing broken plastic pieces. Solutions to small problems, and applications where they're unlikely to be under much stress. Even around the house it would come in handy.

The other applications you mentioned (proto, and molds) would be pretty useful. Plus there's probably quite a few more problems that become that much easier if you have a 3D printer handy. Once we get 3D printers that can make more robust products, that's going to be truly revolutionary.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CommieGIR posted:

Not essentially true, if you change the infill and shells properly, they are perfectly usable. Not to mention, add a heated bed and you can print with Nylon or ABS as well:

http://www.matterhackers.com/3d-printer-filament-compare

I'm actually printing the Belt Gears right now, and the extruder feed gears are also printed.

Those are pretty low-stress parts, but you're right that I was thinking mostly of PLA.

E:

Bajaha posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of making small interior trim pieces, gauge holders, replacing broken plastic pieces. Solutions to small problems, and applications where they're unlikely to be under much stress. Even around the house it would come in handy.

The other applications you mentioned (proto, and molds) would be pretty useful. Plus there's probably quite a few more problems that become that much easier if you have a 3D printer handy. Once we get 3D printers that can make more robust products, that's going to be truly revolutionary.

I'm not sure the resolution would be good enough for finished little plastic trim bits, but maybe it is. Wouldn't you rather have a desktop li'l CNC mill, though?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Raluek posted:

desktop li'l CNC mill

Those... are surprisingly cheap, I was expecting much more than $2k - $3k ish for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
It's really a cost barrier more than anything. Laser sintered parts can robust, but the process and materials are not cheap. FDM/FFF works pretty well when you design the part for the process as opposed to trying to print a part that was designed for injection molded.

• Locked thread