Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Cake Attack posted:

they have good shows but the service itself is trash

Unusably so or just kinda obligatory 'this poo poo sux'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they can be pretty inconsistent with actually putting up the shows they have, and the player is bad

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Razzled posted:

Not sure if this quite belongs here but is funimation's stream service worth it? I already pay for crunchyroll, but funimation's price is low enough that I wouldnt' mind doing a year's worth in addition if the library is worth it. Currently I want to watch Arslan and Maria, but do they have older stuff too?

I find I use it enough to justify the cost, especially since they've gotten more aggressive about picking up good stuff seasonally. But yeah, the player, queue, &c. kinda suck.

Razzled posted:

The latter.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Cake Attack posted:

they can be pretty inconsistent with actually putting up the shows they have, and the player is bad

Ah alright, I'll give the free trial a whirl then and see. Thanks!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Razzled posted:

They are straight up incompetent and I always go right to fansubs for anything they pick up.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

They are straight up incompetent and I always go right to fansubs for anything they pick up.

It's better to not pirate things.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I get the frustration with lovely service, but if I can easily pay for something where I can just press 'play" and the video plays, then I'm more or less happy. After watching shirobako I feel especially bad when I don't pay for the media I consume. And I'm too cheap to buy lots of expensive blu rays, so streaming sites are a happy medium for me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's better to not pirate things.

I willingly pay for Crunchyroll. They're not perfect, but they are decent and pick up a good number of good shows and I sometimes read their mangas.

I refuse to give Funimation any of my money, on the other hand, because it would feel like I'm being ripped off.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bad Seafood posted:

Probably means the scene between Kyoya and Haruhi after dinner.

I did, yeah. It was a really uncomfortable scene that ruined the entire episode for me and my friends when we watched it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ViggyNash posted:

This is a loving lovely attitude to have and I don't feel bad for calling you out on it.

"Hmmm yes, I can use this service which pretty much does work but the people behind it kinda suck at doing it, or I can just steal poo poo so the people who make my funny cartoons now get 0 of my dollars instead of a tiny bit. There is nothing wrong with this attitude at all"

I bitch about Funimation, but I've told them numerous times about features I want to see and can suck up paying 40$ for something that's only a bit lovely in the hopes that they listen to the feedback. If it was the 8$ a month plan that was the only thing they had ever offered, yeah, I'd be right there with you. However the service is now cheap enough, and decent enough that if it's available in your area, you have no excuse except the fact you like to steal anime and feel smug about it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

I get the frustration with lovely service, but if I can easily pay for something where I can just press 'play" and the video plays, then I'm more or less happy. After watching shirobako I feel especially bad when I don't pay for the media I consume. And I'm too cheap to buy lots of expensive blu rays, so streaming sites are a happy medium for me.

There's a free trial, so give it a shot.

You'll notice that it's missing stuff thats in every other streaming service, as there's no queue which basically means you have to remember what shows you're watching and which episode you're on, but that's not necessarily a deal breaker. It's only slightly more convent than pirating the same subs from some other source, but now that they've worked out their video issues (you'll notice some real bad compression artifacts on older shows, but newer stuff and stuff they reuploaded recently don't have the problem) it's less of a ripoff.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

The Devil Tesla posted:

There's a free trial, so give it a shot.

You'll notice that it's missing stuff thats in every other streaming service, as there's no queue which basically means you have to remember what shows you're watching and which episode you're on, but that's not necessarily a deal breaker. It's only slightly more convent than pirating the same subs from some other source, but now that they've worked out their video issues (you'll notice some real bad compression artifacts on older shows, but newer stuff and stuff they reuploaded recently don't have the problem) it's less of a ripoff.

Ah that makes sense. I am intending on re-watching Escaflowne so I guess that will be the litmus test regarding the compression/artifacting issue you mentioned.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
For all of the bitching I've done about Funimation. They've released apps on the Ps3 and Ps4 now. The Ps4 one works quite good for the most part, AND it also has a queue feature! It's kinda broken because it doesn't remember the last episode you watched (which is dumb) but at the very least you can see what shows you told yourself you're going to watch. The Ps3 app didn't have this feature. So they have been getting better! Once the shows actually goes up as well, they generally don't tend to get delayed unless it's on the Japanese end from that point on.

Razzled posted:

Ah that makes sense. I am intending on re-watching Escaflowne so I guess that will be the litmus test regarding the compression/artifacting issue you mentioned.

Funimation has licensed this, but it's not on their streaming site yet (yeah you could use the old materials probably floating around but why? because there is HD release out now). I assume it's a materials issue. Seeing as how Bebop is the only thing from the Bandai rescues that has gotten a release so far. So Escaflowne unfortunately IS a show you have to pirate at the moment. As there's no physical release available anymore either.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 14, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

You got me all excited about Escaflowne being available for streaming but it isn't :(

This is a demonstration of the other thing people hate about Funimation: they nab a rescue license and take their sweet time making it available anywhere. There's a bunch of cool stuff, like Harhui and Outlaw Star, that they have the license for but are sitting on. Like it's easy to understand why, as it's disks that make them most of their money, there's no rush to put out an older show, and both the streaming release and the disk becomes more popular when they can piggyback off of each other's hype. But it's super obnoxious!

But yea when I say older I mean on the service for a longer time. Cowboy Bebop got added a few months ago and looks great, and I assume that when Escaflowne comes it'll look great too.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Funimation does have a list function now, and they also have apps on 360, PS3, and PS4 and I'm pretty sure they're working on Xbox One too. The web player's still kinda meh, but the console players are actually pretty decent, there's worse things to spend 8 bucks a month on.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Devil Tesla posted:

Like it's easy to understand why, as it's disks that make them most of their money, there's no rush to put out an older show, and both the streaming release and the disk becomes more popular when they can piggyback off of each other's hype. But it's super obnoxious!

I highly doubt it's that Funimation wants to wait on discs until they put it out, more that its an old show that, lets be honest, isn't in HUGE demand so they aren't in any rush to get all the materials for the show as fast as possible. I have no doubt we'll see streaming episodes pop up before a physical disc release. I believe Bebop had streaming available beforehand as well. Let's face it, new releases make more money so that's what their focused on and Escaflowne is worked on when they're not working hard on the new stuff.

TARDISman posted:

Funimation does have a list function now, and they also have apps on 360, PS3, and PS4 and I'm pretty sure they're working on Xbox One too. The web player's still kinda meh, but the console players are actually pretty decent, there's worse things to spend 8 bucks a month on.

It's even less than 8 bucks a month now if you buy a year package. It's close to 3 bucks a month for sub only, and around 4 for full access. So yeah, the prices are stupid cheap now and it's a good deal for what they offer.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just wish funi's 360 player would keep me properly logged in, ever since i switched to sub-only i have to log out and back in to get it to acknowledge i'm a paying customer.

Still better than stealing imo.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

I highly doubt it's that Funimation wants to wait on discs until they put it out, more that its an old show that, lets be honest, isn't in HUGE demand so they aren't in any rush to get all the materials for the show as fast as possible. I have no doubt we'll see streaming episodes pop up before a physical disc release. I believe Bebop had streaming available beforehand as well. Let's face it, new releases make more money so that's what their focused on and Escaflowne is worked on when they're not working hard on the new stuff.

Rescue licenses do show up before the release day of the disks, but never before the new disks are available for pre-order. You're right about there not being a rush, but many of the shows we're waiting on have been in Funimation's hands for years, it's very unlikely that they couldn't have easily gotten it up sooner. They're just waiting for the right moment where they can make the most money.

I don't particularly begrudge them for being a business, but when a show has been on streaming and has to be taken down because Funi licensed it (Haruhi) you are allowed to be a little frustrated.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Here's some manga I've read and enjoyed recently about relatively realistic characters with psychological/societal problems:

In Clothes Called Fat
Flowers of Evil
Welcome to the NHK (the novel)
No Longer Human
I Am a Hero (the first few volumes)
Goodnight Punpun

Any recommendations for stuff in a similar vein?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Saeku posted:

Here's some manga I've read and enjoyed recently about relatively realistic characters with psychological/societal problems:

In Clothes Called Fat
Flowers of Evil
No Longer Human
Goodnight Punpun

Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Davincie posted:

Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa

This is simultaneously one of the most hilarious, depressing, idiotic and inspiring things I've ever read, it's p good.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Saeku posted:

In Clothes Called Fat
Flowers of Evil
No Longer Human
Goodnight Punpun

I'm terrible at remembering the names of series in japanese, but I really liked the one about the road-worker who falls for a delinquent girl who works in a machine-shop. Unfortunately, the translation stopped. Still worth reading though. Maybe not as issues driven as that stuff.

Himizu is worth reading as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You're talking about Sekitou Elergy.

It's still one of my all-time favorites, and is a shame that translations stopped(I think only 5 of the 15-20 volumes got scanlated so far), but the spot it leaves off at is at least a decent ending point.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Any light hearted laid back comedies along the lines of Barakomon and Kokkuri-san that a whole bunch of drunk people would find fun to watch?

There was a "something about a rich man who lives under a bridge" that I loved into but eh looking for something else.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Daily Lives of High School Boys and Nichijou are your best bets.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Working!, Working!! and, coming next season, Working!!! (note the different amount of exclamation points). Also ServantxService.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun!

coathat
May 21, 2007

Arakawa under the bridge is great.

Yall should watch Chocolate Panic Picture Show.

sivo
Dec 2, 2003
Life is but a dream

Saeku posted:

In Clothes Called Fat
Flowers of Evil
No Longer Human
Goodnight Punpun

Came to ask the same thing, try Kokou no Hito

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
As a Mexican dude who used to play basketball while in elementary and middle school, I grew up watching (and absolutely loved) Slam Dunk. Although I started with the anime instead of the manga, to this day Takehiko Inoue is still one of my favorite mangaka and every time a new volume of either Vagabond or Real becomes available, I make an effort to get them as soon as possible.

While the drawing style and overall tone from what little I've seen of the Openings and that thing concerning Japanese Lunch Time suggests a rather different tone, is Kuroko's Basketball gonna scratch that particular basketball anime itch? Or am I better off forgetting about finding another basketball anime?

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
i like some mecha anime, but not all. macross frontier is anime as gently caress (aaf for short) but I thoroughly enjoyed it and macross plus. knights of sidonia is pretty great and i'm looking forward to the next season on netflix.

are there any gundam series that would be the definitive one to watch or head & shoulders above the rest? recap movies are also acceptable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the movies of the original gundam series if you want, well, the original. the original tv series is pretty much inferior to those, the pacing in the movies is a lot better.

war in the pocket if you want a small series about a small conflict

turn-a gundam if you want the best gundam has produced

g gundam if you want the mecha equivalent of a bad 80s kung-fu movie

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Necronomoticon posted:

i like some mecha anime, but not all. macross frontier is anime as gently caress (aaf for short) but I thoroughly enjoyed it and macross plus. knights of sidonia is pretty great and i'm looking forward to the next season on netflix.

are there any gundam series that would be the definitive one to watch or head & shoulders above the rest? recap movies are also acceptable.

Turn A

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Necronomoticon posted:

Wing

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Necronomoticon posted:

Turn A and/or 08th MS Team.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Are there any animes with an overt Captain Planet style eco message aside from Ghibli stuff?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Are there any animes with an overt Captain Planet style eco message aside from Ghibli stuff?
Mushishi?

Wolf's Rain, maybe.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arjuna if you really want to go overboard with it.

I don't recommend it, mind you.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
that one episode of Star Trek TNG where they all started to take some chemtrail conspiracy theorist seriously and decided to instate a warp 6 speed limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, Arjuna. But, as mentioned it's not so good.

Spoiler alert: don't use pesticides, the bugs will only eat the bad parts of the plants.

• Locked thread