Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

gently caress wordpress for not supporting postgres i guess. gently caress all PHP apps and mysql. node and mongo forever. thank you
same but asp dot net and mssql forever, or oracle i guess if ur webserver has a client

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

PleasureKevin posted:

gently caress all PHP apps and mysql and node and mongo forever. thank you

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

PleasureKevin posted:

...i guess because i decided to move to heroku, which meant converting from mysql to postresql...

literally no one thinks dbs are interchangable except you lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Heroku provides a thing for migrating from badsql to good sql

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
does heroku even support mssql?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

does heroku even support mssql?

Not really as far as I know. The closest thing we've got is AWS RDS MySQL authentication instructions, which I guess could maybe work with AWS RDS' mssql also. There also doesn't seem to be add-ons for it.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

int foo = *(int*)(&value);

c#
value is a float
enjoy

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
spent most of the day deleting lovely code i wrote years ago and replacing it with the obviously good and correct code i should have written in the first place

i look forward to repeating the exercise in another few years

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
wordpress is literally the worst for so many reasons, not least because there's basically no way to work on it as a team because it stores 75% of its configuration in the database and then plugin authors spit their configuration in a million different non-standard locations

driving me nuts atm

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I can't really imagine the use case for WordPress that requires a team of developers

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
what is the terrible programmers thread's opinion on clojure? i really like the idea: a lisp! on the JVM! woo!

but in practice it seems that clojure is constrained by the imperative nature of Java APIs to the point that it doesn't really make sense to use it

like if you want to write in a file, in common lisp you'd do something like this

code:
(with-open-file (stream "file.txt" :direction :output)
  (format stream "HELLO~%"))
where as in clojure you'd need to create additional state to accomplish the same thing

code:
(def stream (java.io.PrintWriter. "file.txt"))
(.println "HELLO")
(.close stream)
i must be missing something, maybe i should finish that clojure book

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lisp is stupid

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I can't really imagine the use case for WordPress that requires a team of developers

a ba, a developer, and a designer which is our frequent team makeup. designer does theme frontend, developer writes theme plugins/includes, and ba does configuration, etc.

it's all dumb and bullshit and i hate it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Barnyard Protein posted:

hmm, i wonder what literally the first google hit for "clojure with-open-file" might relate to

like, even java has this functionality now

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Soricidus posted:

hmm, i wonder what literally the first google hit for "clojure with-open-file" might relate to

like, even java has this functionality now

oh cool thanks

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

hey idiot programmer here. which is better design. let's say i'm making a twitter clone and need an API to get people's posts:

1. /tweets/USER-NAME/recent
  2. /tweets/USER-ID/recent
  3. something else

i wanna go with USER-ID so people can change their user name, but is it bad to expose that for some security reason? no right? OK

KARMA! posted:

literally no one thinks dbs are interchangable except you lol

um they are both SQL?

Blinkz0rz posted:

wordpress is literally the worst for so many reasons, not least because there's basically no way to work on it as a team because it stores 75% of its configuration in the database and then plugin authors spit their configuration in a million different non-standard locations

driving me nuts atm

same but i'm also the plugin developer

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

hey idiot programmer here. which is better design. let's say i'm making a twitter clone and need an API to get people's posts:

3. something else

twitter does it by having 2 different names, one username that is immutable and a name that can be changed at will

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Awia posted:

twitter does it by having 2 different names, one username that is immutable and a name that can be changed at will

actually you can change both, but changing your regular one fucks everything up cause then no one can find you? also, twitter has user id's exposed too, it's in the page source if you look.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

but should i use the mongo _id field for their ID for make another ID.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

actually you can change both, but changing your regular one fucks everything up cause then no one can find you? also, twitter has user id's exposed too, it's in the page source if you look.

oh well then, i just assumed you couldnt change one because thatd be weird

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

PleasureKevin posted:

its not about security it is about SEO i'm pretty sure

if you're googling for pleasurekevin clone-tweets the links with clone-[twitter.com and pleasurekevin in the url are gonna get a lil boost that a user id-haver will not be able to enj0oy

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Corla Plankun posted:

its not about security it is about SEO i'm pretty sure

if you're googling for pleasurekevin clone-tweets the links with clone-[twitter.com and pleasurekevin in the url are gonna get a lil boost that a user id-haver will not be able to enj0oy

this is just for the API, though, not user-facing url

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Barnyard Protein posted:

what is the terrible programmers thread's opinion on clojure? i really like the idea: a lisp! on the JVM! woo!

but in practice it seems that clojure is constrained by the imperative nature of Java APIs to the point that it doesn't really make sense to use it

like if you want to write in a file, in common lisp you'd do something like this

code:

where as in clojure you'd need to create additional state to accomplish the same thing

code:

(.println "HELLO")
(.close stream)

you already got one snarky answer but here's another

just write your own god drat with-open-file macro and then you never have to see the interop bits

if you're writing pure clojure you aren't "constrained" by anything in the JVM. and in the reverse case, where you have some nice java lib you'd like to use in your program, if you're writing Common Lisp you're hosed, but in clojure? no problem

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Blinkz0rz posted:

driving me nuts atm

the only good way to use wordpress is to render it to static pages

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

PleasureKevin posted:

3. something else

i wanna go with USER-ID so people can change their user name, but is it bad to expose that for some security reason? no right? OK

um they are both SQL?

same but i'm also the plugin developer

if its just for an api take some json poo poo for an id to a single url or something

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Dessert Rose posted:

just write your own god drat with-open-file macro and then you never have to see the interop bits

wisdom

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Barnyard Protein posted:

code:

code:
(.println "HELLO")
(.close stream)

clojure's cool, i prefer common lisp.

http://www.braveclojure.com/ is a pretty good read if you want something brisk.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

PleasureKevin posted:

but should i use the mongo
no

not even once

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

PleasureKevin posted:

um they are both SQL?

not really. in the event you actually think that, pretty much any db has its own extensions on the sql standard that are incompatibe w/ each other most often then not. like the available types, trancactions, whatever just google difference mysql postgres

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

that's why wordpress is so loving egregious because pdo exists for a goddamn reason and instead they use mysqli lmao

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
don't even get me started about wordpress. my biggest pet peeves are no namespacing (for 5.2 compatibility i guess) so plugins randomly cause collisions and crash. and no error handling built in so any plugin or theme can crash everything. and the hooks system turns everything into a crazy spaghetti rube goldberg machine.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
hosting a live, dynamic wordpress means with 100% certainty you will get hacked

friends don't let friends host dynamic wp content

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
there are no good cms's. the same could be said of drupal, joomla, whatevs. at least with wp you have lots of good themes and plugins available. bsd do you recommend using cloudflare and/or varnish?

i actually need to help someone make a portfolio site and i have lots of wp experience but would like to try something non-terrible. but it needs to have an easy cms interface for the person. i'd rather not use squarespace or the like. any recommendations?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

DimpledChad posted:

don't even get me started about wordpress. my biggest pet peeves are no namespacing (for 5.2 compatibility i guess) so plugins randomly cause collisions and crash. and no error handling built in so any plugin or theme can crash everything. and the hooks system turns everything into a crazy spaghetti rube goldberg machine.

agreed wordpress is garbage but everything else out there is flaming garbage with a poo poo pile on top

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
can't you compile wordpress to a static site? what is there to lose, websites don't need comments any more

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

if i want to host a static site what is the cheapest thing that's a cloud service thinger

assume i have the domain already

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Share Bear posted:

if i want to host a static site what is the cheapest thing that's a cloud service thinger

assume i have the domain already

i too am curious

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i presume that is setting up an s3 bucket then pointing my dns records at it?

http://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

github pages maybe?

https://pages.github.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
does anyone have any experience with concrete5? it's another php cms, but looks like it has a (relatively) non-horrbile architecture/codebase. uses symfony/doctrine.

• Locked thread