Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
So was DKCR3D and that doesn't even look relatively poor. Xenoblade actually looks incredibly bad. Not in a nit-picky way or an over-exaggeration either, but an actually horrid looking game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

noirstronaut posted:

So was DKCR3D and that doesn't even look relatively poor. Xenoblade actually looks incredibly bad. Not in a nit-picky way or an over-exaggeration either, but an actually horrid looking game.

It's not a pretty game but it's not nearly that bad what the heck.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dkcr3d is a sidescroller. the optimizations that alone can produce are amazing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ImpAtom posted:

You do know Dark Souls isn't the answer to every problem, right? It is extremely good for the type of game it is but it isn't what you're necessarily looking for if you want to play an RPG.

My favorite spergy japanese RPG is better than your favorite spergy japanese RPG.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

noirstronaut posted:

3D game with huge environments doesn't look as good as focused 2D game on a linear path. News at 11.

No poo poo. Xenoblade is absolutely massive in a way DKCR isn't, and it sacrifices a lot of close up graphical fidelity to achieve it. Take a look at some screenshots of the areas you traverse in the game, they're enormous and filled with stuff.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 20, 2015

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's several design aspects that work in DKCR's favour, in terms of wrangling it down to the 3DS specs. The camera position is always fixed and most individual elements are pretty small relative to the screen size, so many models and textures (especially in the background) can be simplified without looking appreciably worse.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Zore posted:

3D game with huge environments doesn't look as good as focused 2D game on a linear path. News at 11.

No poo poo. Xenoblade is absolutely massive in a way DKCR isn't, and it sacrifices a lot of close up graphical fidelity to achieve it. Take a look at some screenshots of the areas you traverse in the game.

Your answer is basically "well, there's stuff in it" but I'm trying to find out why it looks horrible graphically alone. Did cramming everything they needed to on the game mean the game had to look horrible in the process? If that were the case, why didn't we see something that was multiple releases or hell, being Nintendo, multiple cartridges.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's not a pretty game but it's not nearly that bad what the heck.

It's absolutely horrible.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

Your answer is basically "well, there's stuff in it" but I'm trying to find out why it looks horrible graphically alone. Did cramming everything they needed to on the game mean the game had to look horrible in the process? If that were the case, why didn't we see something that was multiple releases or hell, being Nintendo, multiple cartridges.

The problem is processing power, not physical space.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

noirstronaut posted:

Because the issue is how much stuff is on screen at once, not how much total is packed into the cartridge.

how do you not understand this.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Zore posted:

you have to put it in words he can relate to. try likening it to an emulator or flash cart

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I would assume trolling but they have a relatively clean rap sheet.

Lots of moving stuff in a 3D environment with a free moving camera is more processing intensive than a game with a fixed side view of a 2D-plane with relatively static backgrounds. It's like asking why Star Fox looks like poo poo compared to Super Mario World.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zore posted:

He's noirstronaut

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nintendo should put Dark souls on the 3DS. The game might need multiple cartridges but aside from that what could possibly be a problem?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

lol

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Lots of moving stuff in a 3D environment with a free moving camera is more processing intensive than a game with a fixed side view of a 2D-plane with relatively static backgrounds. It's like asking why Star Fox looks like poo poo compared to Super Mario World.

But it doesn't

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

noirstronaut posted:

Why does Xenoblade visually look horrendous?

It actually looks really fuckin sick and is a window into a fantastic and stimulating world filled with inspiring visuals and breathtaking adventure. Eat a dick, fucklord.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, either I'm terrible at installing Decalgirl skins or the skins are a tremendously lovely waste of money. Either way, I regret wasting money on one.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

They're really not very good. Most decals aren't.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ive seen them come out pretty well so you're probably just bad at stickers

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
noirstronaut you are an incredibly stupid piece of poo poo

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Awesome! posted:

ive seen them come out pretty well so you're probably just bad at stickers

It's entirely possible. Although the feel of my fingers so much as brushing against the edges creates a sensation not entirely unlike styrofoam grinding against styrofoam, so I'm not sure it would have helped if I wasn't.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Technogeek posted:

It's entirely possible. Although the feel of my fingers so much as brushing against the edges creates a sensation not entirely unlike styrofoam grinding against styrofoam, so I'm not sure it would have helped if I wasn't.

It takes some finesse to get it looking really good but having your particular..... problem.....would most definitely contribute to making it harder to put on. I'm getting shivers just thinking about the way you described the sensation.....and not in a good way....

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Finally got ahold of a New 3DS, it feels nice in the hands and the screen is just a tad better (the whites seem better). I hope I don't regret upgrading but I did decent in my freelance work this month and I wasn't exactly short on cash so whatever, we'll see. On that note, my blue XL (with the CPP) is on sale at SA Mart.

I got the black one because I think special editions are dumb and the color I chose expresses this sentiment effectively enough. :colbert:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Wamdoodle posted:

It takes some finesse to get it looking really good but having your particular..... problem.....would most definitely contribute to making it harder to put on. I'm getting shivers just thinking about the way you described the sensation.....and not in a good way....

It's only the edges, though. The actual flat parts aren't nearly that bad.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

KingSlime posted:

I got the black one because I think special editions are dumb and the color I chose expresses this sentiment effectively enough. :colbert:

The MH4 New 3DS owns and I will never sully it with a decalgirl skin

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Help Im Alive posted:

The MH4 New 3DS owns and I will never sully it with a decalgirl skin

I agree with this, mostly because it came with MH4.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

But it doesn't

I take it back, if you're honestly claiming this:

looks better than this:

you're definitely trolling unless your eyes are broken.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So does anyone else love the music in Pokemon Shuffle? It's so chill. Except for the stupid mega evolution music, which sucks and overrides everything else.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I hate the music in Pokemon Shuffle, I almost always turn it off

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Taint reaped aga- *does a double take* Wh...what?!?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tender Bender posted:

Taint reaped aga- *does a double take* Wh...what?!?

I find it really annoying :shrug: it is pretty chill, though, I will agree with that.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Chiming in (like oh so many goons) to say that I absolutely LOVE Xenoblade.

I missed it when it came out on the Wii, but made sure to grab the 3D version. It also helps that for pretty much my entire life playing games, I've always liked portables way more than consoles.

It's absolutely scratching an itch that I had for a while, I really enjoy the battle system, and I love how much freedom you have regarding doing/not doing side stuff.
And the quality-of-life stuff is just huge! auto-refilling HP, Instant quest rewards, changing time whenever, save anywhere, fast travel. The list goes on and it just makes it so easy to enjoy.

I'm at about 4.5hrs of play, just got to Gaur Plains. I know very very little about what happens in the story and can't wait to see where it goes.
(Also, it looks fine. Sure some textures are blurry but nothing close to hampering enjoyment)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I want a shiny new game to take advantage of my shiny new console, backlog be damned! Majoras Mask or Xenoblade?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

KingSlime posted:

I want a shiny new game to take advantage of my shiny new console, backlog be damned! Majoras Mask or Xenoblade?

Are you up for a short, but sweet adventure or a long and grand tale with a massive scope? I'd say grab either game because it's probably going to be stupidly rare in a few years and resale prices will go up the wall, but that's probably true of both games.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Majora's Mask utilizes absolutely none of the new XL except for the c-stick controlling the camera but at least it doesn't look like rear end. Xenoblade is fun though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Xenoblade looks pretty bad in cutscenes and if you stand still and look around, but it looks fine if you're moving and aren't paying too much attention.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

greatn posted:

Xenoblade looks pretty bad in cutscenes and if you stand still and look around, but it looks fine if you're moving and aren't paying too much attention.

poo poo probably doesn't taste that bad if you shove it down your throat and try not to taste it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Your posts are pretty solid if you don't read them.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

noirstronaut posted:

poo poo probably doesn't taste that bad if you shove it down your throat and try not to taste it.

Christ, man. It's fine if you don't like the game, but seriously, I'd rather have a game like Xenoblade- with massive environments with lots to see and explore that looks a little rough around the edges, than a beautiful, graphically polished game that's all linear brown corridors and boring gameplay because we sunk all the budget into making the graphics pretty.

Yes, you can have both, but so often developers just pour all their money into the graphics and forget they're making a game and not an interactive movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
It feels like nobody that has homepass set up has streetpass enabled for xenoblade, despite me seeing a ton of people playing it. :(