Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Enos Shenk posted:

They're also pretty terrible. My old man is a mailman, they HATE these trucks during the winter. See how the front tires are farther into the fender than the rear tires? Yeah, the front wheelbase is narrower. And it's a rear-wheel drive vehicle. So what happens is in snow the front tires plow out a little mound that lines up perfectly with the rear drive wheels. They're also pretty light in the back, so they get stuck in a couple inches of snow. Apparently they never bothered to test them in snow conditions.

In Alaska the postal service gets Jeep Cherokees. I assume other parts of the US that get significant persistent snow do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Jeoh posted:

Someone already created a chengguan mod. Increases taxes based on the amount of parked cars. It's awesome.

Link?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Enos Shenk posted:

They're also pretty terrible. My old man is a mailman, they HATE these trucks during the winter. See how the front tires are farther into the fender than the rear tires? Yeah, the front wheelbase is narrower. And it's a rear-wheel drive vehicle. So what happens is in snow the front tires plow out a little mound that lines up perfectly with the rear drive wheels. They're also pretty light in the back, so they get stuck in a couple inches of snow. Apparently they never bothered to test them in snow conditions.

The steering linkage likes to fall apart too. On the upside they're ludicrously durable. I saw one after it had taken a rear-end hit by a 50mph driver, it looked like you could get it back in service with a bit of dent-hammering.

My mother is a letter carrier, so I'm familiar with many of the LLV's faults. Wasn't aware of those snow problems, however, since we live in California. These days she is wondering what is gonna fall apart first, her increasingly arthritic knees (4 years to retirement!) or her LLV.

xzzy posted:

In Alaska the postal service gets Jeep Cherokees. I assume other parts of the US that get significant persistent snow do the same.

A variety of Jeep is actually what the LLV replaced, but yeah, I'm sure somewhere like Alaska they'd definitely get nice modern ones that can handle the conditions. Down here in Central California most new letter carrier vehicles are minivans of some kind (Dodges I think). According to my mom they're arguably less popular (not right hand drive, more cramped, less efficient cargo usage) except for one critical difference that is very popular, they have air conditioning.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 20, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Hubis posted:

I'm going to chalk this up to "Finns are Weird".

Speaking of traffic-based services people should mod into their cities...

An execution bus?

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I am absolutely loving this game. Trying to find workable traffic solutions is way more interesting then I ever would have thought.

That being said how do you get industry to develop late game? I have a city of about 110k with like 4% unemployment and even if my people want industry, they won't actually work at the jobs in a newly zoned area. I just get "not enough workers" icons on pretty much every building. Seems like the level 3 buildings are fine but the level 1 buildings get permastuck at level 1 since no one wants to work there.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

TheGreySpectre posted:

I am absolutely loving this game. Trying to find workable traffic solutions is way more interesting then I ever would have thought.

That being said how do you get industry to develop late game? I have a city of about 110k with like 4% unemployment and even if my people want industry, they won't actually work at the jobs in a newly zoned area. I just get "not enough workers" icons on pretty much every building. Seems like the level 3 buildings are fine but the level 1 buildings get permastuck at level 1 since no one wants to work there.

You just need a lot more workers.

I've found I have trouble filling new jobs if my unemployment is less than 10%~ or so.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

xzzy posted:

They still drive the crappy mailbuses here in ND in the winter.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

TACD posted:

This is the first game in a long, long while that has me excited enough to be thinking about it a lot when I'm not even playing it. I'm only just started my first 'proper' city (having done one mucking about how-does-this-work OH-MY-GOD-CURVED-ROADS city) and I'm having a blast making cute little neighbourhoods and watching everything grow.

I am eagerly waiting a full British conversion mod so I can have mini roundabouts, British road markings and piss-scented underpasses scattered around my downtown.

Also, please keep posting pictures of road junction abominations, I love them all.

I want british style roads too, mini roundabouts would make things a lot easier. Hopefully when tunnels come in the next patch it'll let you make tunnel paths to create pedestrian underpasses.

This is my main ugly junction area. I should really tear it all down and make proper looking junctions but last time I did that traffic ground to a halt.

Also I loving love the first person mod way more that I thought I would. First time I walked over a hill out in the country to see across the whole city was amazing. I'd love to see it at night too.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Longbaugh01 posted:

It was the last patch, and no, but if you find out please let us know. I mentioned it when it first started, but no one seemed to care.

I've been doing some experimenting but have made zero progress on a fix :(
A fresh install of the game did nothing, reinstalling the LUTs doesn't work, and it even applies to new ones that have never been installed before.
Anyone know how to submit a bug report?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I'm curious- has anyone attempted vehicle or pedestrian mods to add to the pool of available vehicles/sims? It would be super cool if I could get a TTC or GO! Train/Bus skin, and I'd also love to see goofy cim additions.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Am I correct in thinking that downloading buildings from the workshop fucks up your achievements, etc like any other mod?

I know there's a cheev mod, just wondering

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

Am I correct in thinking that downloading buildings from the workshop fucks up your achievements, etc like any other mod?

I know there's a cheev mod, just wondering

Buildings and anything else that falls under "assets" works fine with cheevos.

If it's a growable building it'll even automatically show up randomly in the appropriate zones.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

I'm not sure what conditions I fulfilled to do this but I wish I could replicate it at will, it would be pretty helpful!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Use the Fine Road Heights mod and you can do that all the time. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413678178&searchtext=fine+road+heights

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

watch out they're coming for you :tinfoil:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

beerinator posted:

I have the chrome extension "Earth View from Google Maps" which grabs an interesting satellite view image from google maps and displays it on your new tab page. It's often a shot of a section of interstate or overhead view of a suburb and since Cities Skylines came out I always catch myself pausing whatever I'm doing and study the image looking for inspiration.

This is really cool, I just spent like 15 minutes refreshing a new tab

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

give me thread posted:

Can I just say - this looks flippin amazing!

So for all the squares you can't zone/build on because "it's ont a perfect grid", did you fill it with trees? Also, got any more pics please?

It's not mine, it's some dude's pic that I saw. Here's my attempt to emulate it, which of course neither looks as cool nor works as well:

Note the large pileup near the bottom. I've been trying to do this city without subways because trains look so much cooler, but I'm nearing 75k pop and my roads can't take much more.

Pretty proud of my trash facility in the upper left, though. Keeps garbage trucks flowing smoothly to every point in the city.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Domattee posted:

As others have said this is standard signage on the continent and means you have priority. Side roads have to have stop/yield signs so they know that the other road has priority and won't take someones right-of-way and cause a crash. (In Germany at least this is a legal requirement and if the city fails to provide it it has to cover any accident costs)

As a North American, I don't understand what the point of the priority sign is. We just... wouldn't have a sign on the priority route, and then we'd have yield or stop signs on the secondary road. What would a European do upon approaching an intersection that has neither a yield, a stop, or a priority sign, and how does it differ from how they would drive if there were a priority sign?

This is exactly why I don't drive in Europe...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PT6A posted:

As a North American, I don't understand what the point of the priority sign is. We just... wouldn't have a sign on the priority route, and then we'd have yield or stop signs on the secondary road. What would a European do upon approaching an intersection that has neither a yield, a stop, or a priority sign, and how does it differ from how they would drive if there were a priority sign?

I think all it does is confirm that yes, you do have priority. We simply have a stop sign where you need to stop and it's assumed the priority road knows it has priority via not having a stop sign. The priority sign just confirms it so there's no confusion. At least that's what I assume. They also like to actually paint lines on the intersection its self to clearly show who has priority.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Morpheus posted:

Were you listening to me, Neo? Or were you looking at the woman in the red dress?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
We don't really think of it as priority in the US. Stop is obviously giving priority to through traffic, but I think on the books most (some? Just where I took drivers Ed?) jurisdictions yield signs are based on first past. I say on the books because culturally yield signs either mean step on it, or this is a stop sign, depending where in the country.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
I made some islands

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

gently caress you, I was just about to post that. :mad:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Trainz :thumbsup:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

There's a UPS distribution center between me and downtown, and in the morning the road from there to the freeway is just UPS truck after UPS truck with some normal traffic in-between.

I keep picturing them with donuts on top and wondering which Ice Cube Factory they're delivering goods to today.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

I think all it does is confirm that yes, you do have priority. We simply have a stop sign where you need to stop and it's assumed the priority road knows it has priority via not having a stop sign. The priority sign just confirms it so there's no confusion. At least that's what I assume. They also like to actually paint lines on the intersection its self to clearly show who has priority.

That actually makes sense. I forgot that we can also have uncontrolled intersection, which are just bad news all around (how many people do you suppose actually know the right-of-way rules for one of those, given the behaviour we see at 4-way stops).

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Streamed this from my laptop to my Surface Pro 3. Oh god Im never going to get to sleep again

Fire
Apr 20, 2015

by XyloJW
I have had a lot of fun with this game. The fluid mechanics must have been a massive pain to program but it was worth it.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

PT6A posted:

If he doesn't have a priority sign he would probably assume normal right-of-way rules apply and give the side-road to his right priority, who is giving it to the main road, leading to a whole lot of gesturing and nobody moving.

I haven't driven in America before but do people seriously struggle with basic right-of-way there?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Here, it's simple. If there's no sign, no line across the road... you have no reason to stop. Keep driving as though the side streets aren't there. If you don't have a give way or stop sign, they do.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 21, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Domattee posted:

If he doesn't have a priority sign he would probably assume normal right-of-way rules apply and give the side-road to his right priority, who is giving it to the main road, leading to a whole lot of gesturing and nobody moving.

I haven't driven in America before but do people seriously struggle with basic right-of-way there?

every loving day

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

PT6A posted:

The annoying thing with priority signs (the yellow diamond) is that they don't appear at the intersection, but at the start of the road that has priority. I presume it's because it's not a 'you have priority on this crossing' sign, but a 'you have priority all along this road' sign.

Obviously I forget to pay attention to those a lot so by the time I get to an intersection I have no clue if I'm on a priority road or not.

My standard modus operandi is that when I'm on a bigger road I assume that I have priority. I think a lot of people do the same.

Here's a bunch of signs:

http://wegcode.be/wetteksten/secties/kb/wegcode/250-art67

and their meaning:

67.2: when there is a B9 sign, this sub-sign can be added to it at the crossing. Makes it clear which road exactly is the priority road.

B1: yield
B3: yield in X meters
B5: come to a complete stop and yield
B7: B5 in X meters
B9: priority road
B11: end of priority road
B13: end of priority road in X meters
B15: priority. the horizontal line can be changed depending on the actual geometry of the roads
B17: yield to cars on your right, cars on your left have to yield to you
B19: small road, yield to cars coming the opposite way
B21: small road, cars coming the opposite way have to yield to you
B22/23: bikes can go through a red but have to yield to anything else on the road

67.4.1: extra sign to indicate that 2-wheelers can come from both directions
67.4.2: extra sign to indicate that the first sign only applies to 2-wheelers

The 'right on red' thing that exists in the US doesn't exist here. (Except for bikes when the B22 or B23 sign is there.) But in cases where that would be useful and space allows there's just a small road where you can bypass the red light entirely. Obviously you'd have to yield to other traffic then.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

That sounds.. unnecessarily complicated.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Ugh guys is that traffic engineering thread in A/T still around so you can go stink it up with your nasty "real life" traffic scenarios? You're ruining my immersion.

PS yes, American drivers are complete bumblefucks when it comes to right of way. Even when they do know who has it, half the time they insist on being "polite" and waving the wrong person into the intersection first. Like when someone wants to make a left turn, the opposing traffic will politely gesture to the turner to go ahead, confusing everyone else (especially pedestrians!)

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Or even better, when there are two oncoming lanes, the driver in the closer lane is waving your left turn through, completely oblivious to the traffic correctly using its right of way in the other oncoming lane. Then they get frustrated when you don't turn.

Generally, though, the politeness is at four-way stops, and can really screw things up, particularly when we decide that four way stops need eleven incoming lanes, which is terrible even when people aren't screwing it up.

EDIT: Never mind, you're right, this isn't the A/T thread. Probably shouldn't be reading the two back-to-back.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Or even better, when there are two oncoming lanes, the driver in the closer lane is waving your left turn through, completely oblivious to the traffic correctly using its right of way in the other oncoming lane. Then they get frustrated when you don't turn.

Generally, though, the politeness is at four-way stops, and can really screw things up, particularly when we decide that four way stops need eleven incoming lanes, which is terrible even when people aren't screwing it up.

EDIT: Never mind, you're right, this isn't the A/T thread. Probably shouldn't be reading the two back-to-back.

It'd still better than when the person they're waving through does take the turn, and winds up hitting you instead. :argh:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

There are shitheels here that will wave you in then gun it in an attempt to collect on insurance.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

People in America get really mad at you when you refuse their politeness and strictly adhere to the right of way. It's kind of hilarious. Like how dare you turn down this NICE THING I DID FOR YOU?! nevermind that going out of turn puts people at risk.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I just messed with my pop gen dam and my city god flooded with poop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
After an inadvisably-placed dam, apparently it was "HEY EVERYONE LET'S DRIVE THROUGH THE FLOODED INTERSECTION" time