Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

The keynote speaker for the Prescott S. Bush Dinner in Stamford Connecticut this year: Marco Rubio :drat:

It's good practice for him to start speaking under a Bush banner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

FAUXTON posted:

Is it a function of exposed conductive unshielded area? Like telegraph wires weren't exactly EM shielded back then, so their length resulted in that kind of effect?

We don't shield high voltage long range power lines because it'd be so thick and heavy that you couldn't suspend them and the shielding on the ones in your back yard or whatever is nowhere near thick enough to make any difference in this case.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I kind of figured it was a reference to this

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Joementum posted:

Coming this summer from the publishers of the Rand Paul comic book.

He's being crushed by his family name. Accurate.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

If you want to know why an EMP is pitched as this huge pants making GBS threads terror that ignores the realities of their creation or effect, consider the framework of the messaging that paints it as the huge pants making GBS threads terror

When the neutron bomb was first introduced, it was referred to as the capitalist bomb. Because (on paper) it completely wiped out the people (the workers, the labor) and left all the machines (means of production) and wealth (capital) intact and ready for use as soon as you walked in and carted off the corpses.

The theoretical EMP bomb would be the exact opposite. All the workers would be fine, but the automated manufacturing lines, the high frequency trading networks, the debt records, those would all be toast. All of a sudden the important people would be the ones who can work with their hands and grow some food, or purify water, or build houses.

Or you know, the people with the guns like it has always been.

Did everyone just watch Goldeneye or something?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ralepozozaxe posted:

He's being crushed by his family name. Accurate.
I'm going to wager this is what the comic is actually about. Poor Jeb Bush, held back by his family legacy, but he's totally different you see because

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

We don't shield high voltage long range power lines because it'd be so thick and heavy that you couldn't suspend them and the shielding on the ones in your back yard or whatever is nowhere near thick enough to make any difference in this case.

We don't shield high voltage short range transmission lines either - the only thing better than air as an insulator is a vacuum.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Solar doom? Better do something about it.

This?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3VTgIPoGU

Better not mention that in my gubermint :colbert:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

We don't shield high voltage short range transmission lines either - the only thing better than air as an insulator is a vacuum.

Copper thieves make pretty good insulators.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

Copper thieves make pretty good insulators.

That is in fact empirically proven false, but since this isn't the OSHA.mov thread, I'll let you search live leak for yourself.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tsa posted:

Or you know, the people with the guns like it has always been.

Did everyone just watch Goldeneye or something?

Turns out a hoarder shack full of guns is useless when your dumbass SUV don't drive anymore from 50 miles outside the city.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Is Martin O'Malley going to primary Hillary from the left???

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2015/04/20/400447308/omalley-americas-economy-needs-sensible-rebalancing-not-pitchforks

That would be neato.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

I'm going to wager this is what the comic is actually about. Poor Jeb Bush, held back by his family legacy, but he's totally different you see because

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Munkeymon posted:

Good to know. I guess the best protection against something like that is just being able to keep that current from wrecking generation facilities? Is that one of the things huge circuit breakers like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIkNY5xjy5k are for?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
nevermind.

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 20, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

We will have a woman president, and no sexists will take that away.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Nintendo Kid posted:

Turns out a hoarder shack full of guns is useless when your dumbass SUV rascal scooter don't drive anymore from 50 miles outside the city.
Fixed.

Do solar chargers work off the borealis? So if it was bright at night you could use one of those little portable jobbies to juice up batteries?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SubponticatePoster posted:

Fixed.

Do solar chargers work off the borealis? So if it was bright at night you could use one of those little portable jobbies to juice up batteries?

Photovoltaics work off any old light source but Borealis light isn't going to be charging anything anytime soon, and it isn't going to just be stuck on bright forever.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

SedanChair posted:

I kind of figured it was a reference to this

Close.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Venusian Weasel posted:

A modern repeat would gently caress up our transmission infrastructure pretty badly, just because it would require hard shutdowns of generation plants, and in places where we can't isolate the grid from generation the induced current will flow back in and mess with the generation hardware.

So it would be kind of like Jurassic Park, except global and without dinosaurs?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Deep Hurting posted:

So it would be kind of like Jurassic Park, except global and without dinosaurs?

No we have the dinosaurs, we just elect them to office here. :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

No, it's definitely the other one, because whenever a scientists yells at him about how stupid he is it gives him strength.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile, in Washington, D.C.....

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I don't know if its been posted but the Atlantic did a good longform article on ISIS. http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

Worth a read if you don't know much about their motivations or how they fit into the dynamic of Al-Qaeda and other jihadists

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, in Washington, D.C.....

Pretty sweet kicks you got there, Bill :whatup:

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

So, you remember two months back when Jeb's CTO got fired for his history of being a jackass on Twitter?

He's now rolling out an app, called Clear, that lets you see your history of being a jackass on Twitter.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Boon posted:

Solar doom? Better do something about it.

This?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3VTgIPoGU

Better not mention that in my gubermint :colbert:

Something about those deep sounds from that glacier calving caused like a primordial dread feeling in me. I guess that's what it's like to know you're going to die.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Interesting. It'd be an uphill battle, but he'd have a better shot than Bernie.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

Whenever your worst arzy tendencies begin to surface, I want you to remember this.

Wow I just looked over this, pretty impressive numbers. Basically evenish numbers among men, and gaps among women in the 20-30 percent range, and greater crossover in her direction than the other way for pretty much all the candidates.

Let's see more "if she can't satisfy her man how can she satisfy America" image macros! :allears:

Edit: I'd love to see what the splits are among GOP women voters.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Tobermory posted:

So, you remember two months back when Jeb's CTO got fired for his history of being a jackass on Twitter?

He's now rolling out an app, called Clear, that lets you see your history of being a jackass on Twitter.

quote:

“The most challenging part of this is determining which tweets are actually offensive, and that’s something that will take a while to get really good at,” Czahor said.

Czahor, who moved to California after college to test his hand at improv comedy at The Groundlings while working at Internet start ups, maintained that the offending comments that cost him the Bush job were meant to be good-natured. “I was telling jokes with my friends and they were completely tongue-in-cheek and completely harmless,” he said. “But years later after I had forgotten about them, they’d been pulled out of context and it looked terrible.”

“Most people don’t know that halloween is German for ‘night that girls with low self-esteem dress like sluts,'” one, now-deleted tweet read. “When I burp in the gym I feel like it’s my way of saying, ‘sorry guys, but I’m not gay,'” said another.

:jerkbag:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

“Most people don’t know that halloween is German for ‘night that girls with low self-esteem dress like sluts,'” one, now-deleted tweet read. “When I burp in the gym I feel like it’s my way of saying, ‘sorry guys, but I’m not gay,'” said another.

In what context do these look good? At least to anyone except the GOP?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm sure Czahor will have as promising a career in stand up comedy as he did as a political consultant.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tobermory posted:

What are the chances that the app also phones home with a log of everything that you discover and delete this way? This guy may end up de facto head of the Republican Party if he can concentrate dirt this easily.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReidRansom posted:

Interesting. It'd be an uphill battle, but he'd have a better shot than Bernie.

Well, the point isn't to win, which he can't. I read through Michael Lewis' Trail Fever yesterday (fun, short read about the 1996 campaign) in which he makes the point that the winner of the campaign steals the best ideas from the losers. By the end of '96, Dole was running on the protectionism of the Buchanan campaign, the tax plan of the Forbes campaign, and the militarism of the Dornan campaign. Clinton, of course, stole from everybody.

O'Malley's goal would be to advance some concrete legislative goal(s) and get Hillary to adopt it, maybe making himself a credible future candidate in the process, or getting him on the list for HUD Secretary.

That said, he might think he can win, but his only real impact will be getting Hillary to buy into part of his agenda.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
By the way, the funniest part of Trail Fever was when one of the candidates (businessman Morry Taylor) was informed by his staffer that Alan Keyes had checked out of the hotel and told the front desk to charge his stay to the Taylor campaign.

Staffer: "He said, 'Taylor's paying for this'".

Staffer 2: "Jesus...."

Taylor: "That's right. Jesus told Alan it was OK."

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

Well, the point isn't to win, which he can't. I read through Michael Lewis' Trail Fever yesterday (fun, short read about the 1996 campaign) in which he makes the point that the winner of the campaign steals the best ideas from the losers. By the end of '96, Dole was running on the protectionism of the Buchanan campaign, the tax plan of the Forbes campaign, and the militarism of the Dornan campaign. Clinton, of course, stole from everybody.

O'Malley's goal would be to advance some concrete legislative goal(s) and get Hillary to adopt it, maybe making himself a credible future candidate in the process, or getting him on the list for HUD Secretary.

That said, he might think he can win, but his only real impact will be getting Hillary to buy into part of his agenda.

Yeah, part of me already knew that to be the case, but optimism and such gets in the way. If Hillary steals from Bernie and O'Malley and Warren though, great. I just don't trust she'd actually do any of those things.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Going back to talking Iraq, our complete lack of a grand strategy for ensuring hegemony, our complete lack of any strategic objective in Iraq, our ignoring tactical goals for the occupation like securing weapons, and out being really good at taking down a conventional enemy but not handling an unconventional one, I really recommend Thomas P Barnett's 2005 TED talk on it. 24 minutes, well worth your time; even if you disagree with the goal of a grand strategy of international hegemony or his proposal for ensuring it, he does a great job outlining the series of failures going back decades that made the problems we are having all but inevitable.

http://www.ted.com/talks/thomas_barnett_draws_a_new_map_for_peace

This didn't get enough love. Barnett had a very unique way of looking at things. If you can track it down, he gives a speech on CSPAN at one of the service academies as well in about the same time frame, a more extensive version of the TED talk. I don't know that I buy his solutions, but he identifies a number of the factors that have led the US to its current state of international affairs.

It does make me wonder what Iraq would have looked like if the Green Zone was staffed by someone other than the Liberty U Alumni Network.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Wow I just looked over this, pretty impressive numbers. Basically evenish numbers among men, and gaps among women in the 20-30 percent range, and greater crossover in her direction than the other way for pretty much all the candidates.

Let's see more "if she can't satisfy her man how can she satisfy America" image macros! :allears:

Edit: I'd love to see what the splits are among GOP women voters.

I fully expect those gaps to close significantly as campaign season moves forward. There seems to be a fearful narrative among Democrats/liberals (especially around here) that Hillary is going to lose to whichever jerkoff announces this week. I posted that as a response to current hand wringing about these early "scandals": she's still polling great and while we can argue about the predictive value of such early polling, there are no indicators that show she's in any kind of danger, outside of serious entrail divinations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

I fully expect those gaps to close significantly as campaign season moves forward. There seems to be a fearful narrative among Democrats/liberals (especially around here) that Hillary is going to lose to whichever jerkoff announces this week. I posted that as a response to current hand wringing about these early "scandals": she's still polling great and while we can argue about the predictive value of such early polling, there are no indicators that show she's in any kind of danger, outside of serious entrail divinations.

Oh, yeah. I don't think a Hillary win is guaranteed, nor do I expect her to win in a double digit laugher necessarily, America just isn't wired that way anymore with the built in polarization of the electorate. I fully expect the gaps to narrow especially as one candidate is chosen and promoted by the GOP. But this kind of data has a fair amount to say about the baseline electorate we are starting with. The GOP should be really concerned about that gender gap, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cphNpqKpKc4

~ Tim Miller, spokesman for Jeb Bush on whether Jeb has ever attended the Bilderberg conference.

• Locked thread