Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So, apparently Popcorn Time is now available for iOS, installable without a jailbreak, but not via the App Store. How does this work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Enterprise cert, which will probably be revoked now.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
That makes sense. I was trying to figure out what black magic was happening here.

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.

Rye Bread posted:

Is there anything similar to Drive Autosync (on Android), where if I connect to wifi it will automatically upload new pics/files to Google Drive?

Check out PhotoSync and see if it will do what you want, at least for pictures.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Enterprise cert, which will probably be revoked now.

It's already revoked, and may have been revoked from the beginning, but they've found a loophole.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/popcorn-times-piracy-app-sneaking-onto-iphones/

quote:

Before installation, Popcorn Time’s iOS Installer also asks the user to put the target phone into “airplane mode,” cutting off its ability to communicate back to Apple’s servers. That additional safeguard, says Zdziarski, is intended to prevent the phone from checking the certificate against a list of valid and revoked certificates held by Apple. The Popcorn-Time.se developer confirmed in an email that the team is in fact using revoked or expired enterprise certificates for the installation, though it’s not exactly clear how merely putting the phone into airplane mode can trick it into accepting those old and invalid certificates.

I sense a new upcoming release of iOS that will outright refuse to install enterprise signed apps without network access, period.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
So how is this iCloud Photo Library thingy? Is there any reason to use it if you're already using Dropbox to backup your photos (and have it accessable on all devices)?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Xabi posted:

So how is this iCloud Photo Library thingy? Is there any reason to use it if you're already using Dropbox to backup your photos (and have it accessable on all devices)?

Not unless you want to donate money to apple for extra storage.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's bad and I hate it. Some people like it though.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Honestly I'll probably use it once my Dropbox promotion from Loom runs out because it does the one thing I really want: keeps them off of my SSD. I wish there was an easy way for me to periodically back up full res copies to an external drive though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Microsoft One Drive

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I love OneDrive, particularly because I have unlimited storage space on it. :unsmigghh:

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
nm, wrong thread

Spatule fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 13, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Does the Amazon music app kill anyone else's battery? My 6+ died really fast yesterday with the Amazon app using the most of the battery, and I wasn't even streaming but playing my offline library.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Does the Amazon music app kill anyone else's battery? My 6+ died really fast yesterday with the Amazon app using the most of the battery, and I wasn't even streaming but playing my offline library.

Did you just download the app and start using it?

Has this been the behavior for a while if you've been using it longer? Did it just start after the 8.3 update?

Another thing to check is to see if it's using location services. Some apps that use location services are buggy and ping your location way too often. I'm looking at you Facebook.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I just downloaded and started using it yesterday. It's not using location services at all, just wondering if anyone else noticed it.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
Does anyone have a good app for tracking TV shows that you watch? I'd like something where I can set up all the shows I watch, what episode I'm on, and push notifications when a new episode comes out too.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Hey! I'm looking for a great white board app. My friends and I have just started playing D&D, but some of us are Skyping in to do so. It would be great if there was essentially a "doodle chat" we could all be in so the DM could draw maps or upload maps and draw on those. iPad support is necessary. Anyone know of anything like this?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

rear end Catchcum posted:

Hey! I'm looking for a great white board app. My friends and I have just started playing D&D, but some of us are Skyping in to do so. It would be great if there was essentially a "doodle chat" we could all be in so the DM could draw maps or upload maps and draw on those. iPad support is necessary. Anyone know of anything like this?

Roll20 maybe? I think they added iPad and Android tablet support.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are there any YouTube apps that have 60FPS support?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

GeauxSteve posted:

Does anyone have a good app for tracking TV shows that you watch? I'd like something where I can set up all the shows I watch, what episode I'm on, and push notifications when a new episode comes out too.

TeeVee does new episode notifications. And probably more. It goes free every now and the .

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/teevee-2-your-tv-shows-guru

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

I just downloaded and started using it yesterday. It's not using location services at all, just wondering if anyone else noticed it.

I've never noticed that before. I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling, because maybe something got hosed up.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

Bummey posted:

TeeVee does new episode notifications. And probably more. It goes free every now and the .

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/teevee-2-your-tv-shows-guru

I'll give it a look. Its only got 2 stars though so I'll probably wait until its free again instead of 2.99. Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is anyone having serious problems with google play music since 8.3? It takes forever to click on music now and it's a total gamble as to whether or not it'll play a song or album. I'm on a 5s

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is anyone having serious problems with google play music since 8.3? It takes forever to click on music now and it's a total gamble as to whether or not it'll play a song or album. I'm on a 5s

Just used it last night on my 5 with no issues.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gah. I tried a reinstall and I'm still having issues.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

GeauxSteve posted:

I'll give it a look. Its only got 2 stars though so I'll probably wait until its free again instead of 2.99. Thanks!

After I downloaded it several months ago I it set up to notify me of a bunch of shows I'm interested in but realistically will never get around to watch because I don't have a tv subscription. It pings me several times a week and seems to be working fine, but I don't really use it behind dismissing the notifications. Maybe there's more functionality I don't know about that isn't working well, or something, I don't know.

I do remember it had some problems where it failed to update show data but that was fixed in the last update.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know I'm preaching to the choir (or more aptly, complaining to folks who can't do anything about it...) But something tells me Facebook gives no shits anyway.

What the gently caress is the deal with how badly Facebook/Paper destroys the quality/fidelity of an uploaded video?

I shot a video today of about 5 Blue Herons making the most insanely aggravated noise at a Bald Eagle who had stolen their hard-built nest... and when I upload it via Paper, it might as well be a goddamn abstract painting. And didn't there used to at least be (on the Computer version of Facebook) an HD toggle which made it a touch better? (but still abysmally bad.)
Now I don't even see that.

Seriously.. has Facebook ever broached this topic? I think I've even sent them email complaints. Maybe I should bug them on Twitter publicly. Are they even ON Twitter?! Lol!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You need to turn Upload HD videos on in your iOS settings
Settings -> Facebook -> Settings (under the logo) -> scroll down to Video and toggle Upload HD video.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You need to turn Upload HD videos on in your iOS settings
Settings -> Facebook -> Settings (under the logo) -> scroll down to Video and toggle Upload HD video.

Good tip! I did not know that. However I use Paper and do t have FB installed so those settings are not there.

I installed FB and toggled that HD setting on. Do we know if that "affects" Paper, too?

I assume if it turns out it does, I have to leave FB installed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have no idea, Paper isn't available in my country 😔

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I would assume not, I don't think video quality is a cross application setting. Paper is still very much a side project for Facebook, so don't be surprised if it has some weird limitations for many cases.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Facebook app doing something poorly? I don't believe it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Paper is a good app, it's just not as fully-featured as the regular app.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Paper is a good app, it's just not as fully-featured as the regular app.

by not as fully featured do you mean it uses less than a few hundred megabytes of space? because that'd be nice. I just use the Facebook web app because the native app is so awful

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno. I have 64 GB so I don't really worry about app sizes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The new update for Google Play Music fixed my woes :D

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
The wunderground app got updated and is finally 6+ optimized. I'm sure a lot of folks moved on to other apps but If you've stuck with it now's a good time to open it for (probably) the first time in months. Widget isn't sluggish garbage anymore either.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wattershed posted:

The wunderground app got updated and is finally 6+ optimized. I'm sure a lot of folks moved on to other apps but If you've stuck with it now's a good time to open it for (probably) the first time in months. Widget isn't sluggish garbage anymore either.

Oh, boy. Here we go...

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
I do what I can.