Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Does all of Fusion Reborn count as a scene?

But main series, the part where Gohan teaches Videl to fly and use Ki because I sat there with my video tape of that scene rewinding and trying to follow the instructions over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All the Gohan in school/with Videl scenes, yeah.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

projecthalaxy posted:

But main series, the part where Gohan teaches Videl to fly and use Ki because I sat there with my video tape of that scene rewinding and trying to follow the instructions over and over.

I did this too as a kid

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Brony Hunter posted:

What's your favourite DBZ scene? My favourite is the one where Goku shouted loudly then punched a dude

Piccolo fighting Imperfect Cell so well that Cell had to run away. Also Tien holding off Semi-Perfect Cell with multiple Tri-Beams

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
18 kicking the smug out of Vegeta. Even if its just temporary.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

goku going ss3 is also p.rad

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Namtab posted:

goku going ss3 is also p.rad
Especially when he apologizes for it taking so long.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my favorite dbz part is dende

anything with dende in it

because he owns

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if goku were serious about beating beerus he'd just have some people nearly kill him over and over imo while dende heals him

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Eonwe posted:

if goku were serious about beating beerus he'd just have some people nearly kill him over and over imo while dende heals him

I dunno why they didn't just do that with every villain tbh

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

In no particular order:

Piccolo shooting Raditz and Goku with the special beam cannon

Trunks loving up Frieza and King Cold

Goku beating up Nappa

Krillin using solar flare to escape Dodoria

Recoome being unstoppable

Tao Pai Pai killing general Blue with a lick to the forehead

Piccolo firing a mouth laser through Goku

Officer Black shooting Commander Red

Piccolo Sr killing Shenron

Android 13 kicking Goku in the dick

Cooler getting shot into the sun

Vegeta ripping of 19's arms

Yajirobe killing and eating Piccolo sr's henchman

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7ONwQEKVwQ

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Amorphous Blob posted:

Android 13 kicking Goku in the dick

he punched him in the dick

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Truly, Earth's greatest champion.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
hm my favorite scenes...

i really like gohan vs cell kamehameha struggle and vegeta attacking cell leading into that. it was rather sick. cell was the first bad guy that i remember seeing as a "new" arc bc of the anime repeating a billion times before that on freeza. but like they have this insane battle, gohan is losing, the kamehamehas are drawn like all savage and insane, not like the normal blasts which were all clean cut and like straightforward energy beams, the two of them were just unleashing, everyone is saying thanks to goku who is dead now and how gohan is worth fighting for bc goku was a great pal... then when it looks like its at its darkest, vegeta comes in, helping out being a team player bc he was so pissed off his son died and gohan wins.

other than that, i like when they fight recoome, bc that whole time namek had a really good feeling that like the heroes were insanely outclassed. vegeta goes insanely all out against recoome, doing all these strategies, getting in all these solid rear end hits, and it looks like he has him.. then recoome does that funny pose thing and hes missing teeth but not even hurt. all of a sudden he's doing the most brutal wrestling moves on vegeta who is struggling as much as he can but its like no use. when i was a kid i def. felt like a sigh of relief when goku came and finally saved them all.

probably third favorite is the whole fight vegeta vs goku, just like goku throwing everyhting to the wall, and yeah hes outclassed but hes enjoying the fight too bc finally someone is giving him a real, cosmic level challenge. the two of them get so insanely beat up, its like nothing in the series before or after, they're just broken but vegeta has so much power and integrity, getting up time and time again..all a sayain has is his pride...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hail Satan.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Gohan is a chip off the old block

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8wSdFqdLlY

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

I like that 1; the coach sounds so forced
2; That scene starts with the super serious music to show how REAL BUSINESS this is.

Also 3; One of the students is Recoome. Like just straight up the same voice.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I completely forgot about Colonel Violet but she's cool as hell.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Why is that coach's voice sooo not matched to his body?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Gohan's lack of actual social skills combined with his superhuman abilities makes his adventures in high school really the best thing in the series.

Also, Xibanya, I hope you continue your effort posts about DB art, I really enjoy them, especially since I am rereading the manga at the moment.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Stallion Cabana posted:

2; That scene starts with the super serious music to show how REAL BUSINESS this is.

I dunno if it's the same in Japanese, but the fact that the high school episodes still had all of the DBZ trappings like the SUPER DRAMATIC Narrator is the best.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I have to wonder how the Red Ribbon Army even formed to begin with, Red's the worst leader ever.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I have to wonder how the Red Ribbon Army even formed to begin with, Red's the worst leader ever.

[CHARISMA]

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Favorite scenes in Dragon Ball, in no order:

1. King Piccolo Goku fight, especially when Goku kicks the poo poo out of drum's face and does that famous staredown at King Pic.

2. Master Roshi giving up against Tien. That's a really powerful scene that gets very little love in this thread.

3. Goku/Vegeta beam standoff. Beautiful art there.

4. Vegeta fighting and finishing off Zarbon, in particular the final blow.

5. Goku landing on Namek and wiping out the Ginyu Force. This scene is a love it and hate it scene, though. It's awesome Goku is back (helped out by this being the point where they have started making new episodes finally), but it's also awful with how Goku's momentum comes to a screeching halt with the Ginyu fight.

I've intentionally left out any Android/Cell/Buu parts because imo the quality of the series drops off considerably after Freeza

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Alas poor Black, you just had one too many bad days at the office.

He doesn't have any!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

my favorite dbz part is dende

anything with dende in it

because he owns
you mean little green right?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
This feels like a microcosm of every 80s/90s sports movie.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

facebook jihad posted:

Favorite scenes in Dragon Ball, in no order:

1. King Piccolo Goku fight, especially when Goku kicks the poo poo out of drum's face and does that famous staredown at King Pic.

2. Master Roshi giving up against Tien. That's a really powerful scene that gets very little love in this thread.

Hell yeah.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
The best scene in DBZ as a kid who grew up watching it on Toonami was when they (loving FINALLY) dubbed the rest of the Frieza saga and could actually show episodes past Goku taking out Recoome.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
NOTHING beats Goku going SSJ first time. I refuse to hear otherwise.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Captain Q posted:

The best scene in DBZ as a kid who grew up watching it on Toonami was when they (loving FINALLY) dubbed the rest of the Frieza saga and could actually show episodes past Goku taking out Recoome.

the jeice and burter fight had been built up into something huge and legendary in my mind because of the delays and it ended in like two seconds

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

sharktamer posted:

NOTHING beats Goku going SSJ first time. I refuse to hear otherwise.

Eh, while I think that the SSJ got increasingly less cool as time went on, Gohan going SSJ2 is also pretty greatly staged, at least in the anime. Truth be told, that is on of those scenes that actually work better animated, the manga made it look too similar to Goku's first transformation. Who would have known that Japanese pop music can sound that epic?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think all of the pre-Buu saga first reveal transformations work pretty well as a whole, except maybe Future Trunks' transformation against Frieza (which is kind of a victim to sorta lovely writing as a whole regarding his reveal).

Vegeta showing up and saving Goku from #19 was pretty great, especially when we get the pay off of his supreme confidence going down the shitter when #18 annihilates him.
Gohan's first transformation feels like a pretty strong pay-off and something of a turning point for Gohan, though it's probably the weakest of the three of Goku, Vegeta and Gohan.

I don't really like Trunks just showing up and making a mockery of Frieza after that arc and being super convenient in general, so that might colour my perception of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
We're talking about the best scenes, but what would you say the best overall fights are? Best artistry, best choreography, best at creating a tone and atmosphere, et cetera.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

1. Goku vs Jackie Chun
2. Goku vs Frieza
3. Goku vs Purple
4. Gotenks vs Buu
5. Goku vs either Piccolo from what I can remember

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Wait I also really like 18 vs Goten/Trunks, Goku vs Vegeta, Vegeta vs 19, Vegeta vs 18, and Goku vs Tien.

Dragonball rules you guys

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Up to the training with Mr Popo part of the Piccolo Jr Saga, and I can see why Abridged makes Popo be creepy. Especially him just making the bizzare rear end Goku Doll.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Aurain posted:

I think all of the pre-Buu saga first reveal transformations work pretty well as a whole, except maybe Future Trunks' transformation against Frieza (which is kind of a victim to sorta lovely writing as a whole regarding his reveal).

Vegeta showing up and saving Goku from #19 was pretty great, especially when we get the pay off of his supreme confidence going down the shitter when #18 annihilates him.
Gohan's first transformation feels like a pretty strong pay-off and something of a turning point for Gohan, though it's probably the weakest of the three of Goku, Vegeta and Gohan.

I don't really like Trunks just showing up and making a mockery of Frieza after that arc and being super convenient in general, so that might colour my perception of it.

I disagree about Vegeta. His transformation was a cool moment, but compare to either Gohan or Goku, it lacked the emotional weight they had. Though the 18 beat down foes kind of relegates that though, I agree. Vegate getting punked is never not great. I do feel the same about Trunks though, however, to me, it is on the same level as Vegeta's transformation. A cool moment, or better mysterious, but over all it lacks the impact the Son transformations had.

But the entire Freezer coming back thing was a mistake in my opinion. If Toriyama really wanted to use him again, it would have been cooler if he started a full-scale invasion of earth than simply attack with a single ship. Now that would have been a reason for Trunks to travel back in time.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think Xibanya should put all these posts in a blog or something because her analysis is really interesting and I'd love to show it to people without having to fish through pages in an SA thread.

I also feel like DBZ is a fantastic manga but really kind of a lovely show. I'm told One Piece is the same way. I never saw One Piece, but I started reading the manga and it reminds me of early Dragon Ball stuff a lot. I think when it comes to the Shonen genre, a good rule of thumb is "don't watch the anime, just read the manga" as the horrendously slow pace of Shonen Jump anime series make them drat near unwatchable. The exception to the rule is of course Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and that's because they waited like 30 years to actually adapt it rather than trying to do it at the same time.

• Locked thread