Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

I'm not sure the resolution would be good enough for finished little plastic trim bits, but maybe it is. Wouldn't you rather have a desktop li'l CNC mill, though?

My company is getting ready to purchase a 3D scanner, and I'm going to use it to scan and replicate the broken trim pieces in my Audi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
If they're broken how do you fix them? Import the scans into Inventor then edit them to correct tolerances, there?

e: An old family friend got me an in for a technical writing position with a local embedded systems designer. They want writing samples. I've never really done any technical writing per se, just technically inclined pieces for the college paper and a few other small things. Hopefully the good ol' boy discount will be enough to at least get me an interview. I know I can do the job based on what they've told me the day to day is, but knowing and convincing someone else are two completely different things. :sigh:

e2: I should note I have a journalism degree so I'm sorta there, and its an entry level position so, hopefully, I'm just psyching myself out.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 21, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well, Thursday night trip to Chicago is canceled due to no coworkers available to cover for my Friday. That sucks balls. But now on Thursday I'm going with Dad to look at another property he's interested in, an old grocery store. And it has a loading dock and room inside for multiple cars. I hope he tosses an offer on this one as he's said I'll be welcome to store a car or two (OR TEN) over there. And then we're going to the BMV to get the title transfer started so I can get the Golf in my name and plated.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just played the first few missions of GTA5. I accidentally killed a cat and I absolutely love Lamar.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

If they're broken how do you fix them? Import the scans into Inventor then edit them to correct tolerances, there?

Glue the trim piece that broke, scan it, and then clean it up in AutoDesk

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Dinner was a moderate success. Pulled pork, Hefeweizen and people watching.

Hotel internet is loving terrible though. Thank god for cellular capable tablets.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Glue the trim piece that broke, scan it, and then clean it up in AutoDesk

Is autocad/inventor really a single thing now? Jesus. I feel old and I'm 20 loving 4. I haven't seriously used either since highschool but I've played with 2013 and it seems like they've (badly) combined the two.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Is autocad/inventor really a single thing now? Jesus. I feel old and I'm 20 loving 4. I haven't seriously used either since highschool but I've played with 2013 and it seems like they've (badly) combined the two.

http://www.123dapp.com/

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Autodesk did something not lovely. gently caress me. Splice the mainbrace.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Worked for a little under 3 hours at the Hut.

$40 in tips alone. That's what I'd usually make in 2 days at Jet's.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

SoCal Goons, on a Saturday in June, I'm looking to drive from the Bay Area to Glendora. Probably leaving at like 6am and getting into Glendor at like noon or one.

What's a good scenic and fun route?

Just glancing at Google Maps, it seems like Angeles Forest Hwy (N3) to Angeles Crest Hwy (South, Hwy 2) seems like a good bet. Google Maps Link. Yay, nay, other options?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I used to drive to Big Willow a lot (north of palmdale) and always went that way, but coming from the bay there it's not very direct. If you do go that way, upper or lower Big Tijunga are good options, so is going up to the top of mt wilson.

I'd say maybe drop down from bakersfield and go down 33 and then from thousand oaks go across mulholland and then down stunt or tuna canyon. Will put you on pch in malibu.

edit for another idea:

Cut across santa clarita to sand canyon, to little tijunga, the go over and up big tijunga to angeles forest highway and then back down angeles crest (or up a little). Those roads are more fun that the part of angles forest coming out of palmdale and lets you to avoid those shitholes altogether.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 21, 2015

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah that was one of his better videos. I'm sort of shocked dude has done so well.

He's got some witty stuff to say and a mishmash way of editing but his shtick works so why not make the vids while the getting is good.

Also a lot of :dong: innuendo. A lot

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Going through my homework stuff.

Holy poo poo A+ covers a lot of really, really asinine poo poo that 99% of people in IT will never have to think of. I don't give two shits about the physical size of an ATX motherboard, goddamnit; I'll know what motherboard I can just by looking at the motherboard already in the case. :corsair:

I've blown through all the quizzes assigned so far without even thinking much (and done well on them), but it turns out I don't get my homework hours if I don't sit through all the videos. And if I leave them running in the background while in class, I don't get the hours. :argh: So I've just got them running in the background.

I don't think I'll really learn anything until I get to Network+ (especially since A+ is still focused on Win7), but they're having to teach to the person who's never touched a keyboard lowest common denominator.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Make sure they're actually running, a lot of them won't count down time if you switch to another tab (but you can open them in another window just fine!)

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Going through my homework stuff.

Holy poo poo A+ covers a lot of really, really asinine poo poo that 99% of people in IT will never have to think of. I don't give two shits about the physical size of an ATX motherboard, goddamnit; I'll know what motherboard I can just by looking at the motherboard already in the case. :corsair:

I've blown through all the quizzes assigned so far without even thinking much (and done well on them), but it turns out I don't get my homework hours if I don't sit through all the videos. And if I leave them running in the background while in class, I don't get the hours. :argh: So I've just got them running in the background.

I don't think I'll really learn anything until I get to Network+ (especially since A+ is still focused on Win7), but they're having to teach to the person who's never touched a keyboard lowest common denominator.

I took the A+ a couple of years ago and it was still asking a wide variety of questions on floppy disks, among other old tech poo poo that Ive never used again and can't remember. Printer stuff mostly. I'd say its easy but parts of it are so out of date that it wrapped back around to being hard.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Great Beer posted:

I took the A+ a couple of years ago and it was still asking a wide variety of questions on floppy disks, among other old tech poo poo that Ive never used again and can't remember. Printer stuff mostly. I'd say its easy but parts of it are so out of date that it wrapped back around to being hard.
Took the A+ in October. 0 study, almost perfect scores, 2% relevant to today's systems.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

I don't think I'll really learn anything until I get to Network+

Honestly I'd skip network+ and go straight to a CCNA. You can do 90% of the labs with GNS3 and a self study guide and the other 10% with a cheap 2600 series router and 2950 managed switch, then pay $300 to sit for the 200-120 composite exam.

CCNA will land you a higher paying network administrator/engineer job a lot faster than net+.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CCNA is included.

My issue is I really, REALLY don't learn well outside of a classroom setting. Online or self taught, I only teach myself what I absolutely need to know to keep poo poo from going up in flames (then panic when things do go up in flames). That's the best case. And my knowledge turns into dust if someone sneezes on it.

They also pay for all exams, even stuff not included in the classes, even if I fail and have to re-take, so that comes in kinda handy.

Again, a lot of it is targeted at babby's first time touching a keyboard, so these first couple of months will be stupid boring for me (I'm already almost a month ahead on labs). They're already holding a job fair next month, but I don't want a job fair that lands me a job intended for A+, I want an actual admin job (I'd be fine starting as junior admin). I make nearly $20/hour now at the Pizza Hut I'm at right now on good nights, and $12/hour on bad nights (obviously before accounting for car expenses, but I made $40 in tips/mileage after driving right at 50 miles tonight, plus my hourly wage - a touch under 3 hours).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 21, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

quote != edit :downs:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Great Beer posted:

But at least now you know your IRQs and hardware serial port addresses, which is totally relevant to know by heart and not just something you can look up if you ever happen to need it! :downs:

Also, gently caress printers. gently caress them to hell forever. It's goddamn 2015, why is printing still completely bullshit and unreliable?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I'm getting a shitload of threatening texts from former coworkers over me not finishing out my 2 weeks. Seriously, what in the living gently caress? IT'S A loving PIZZA SHOP THAT PAYS MINIMUM WAGE, WHY DO YOU CARE THAT SOMEONE FOUND A BETTER JOB YOU FUCKSTICKS?!?!

One of them included a phrase "I'll beat your human being queer rear end into the ground if I ever see you again" (and yes, I filed a police report over that).

My city is one of few in Texas that has passed an ordinance banning discrimination based on sexual orientation (which the state is trying to overturn - Texas has always been "the feds can't do poo poo to us, it's all local for us", yet, they want to ban the cities from making their own laws :rolleyes: )

I was supposed to go turn in my uniforms tomorrow. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOT HAPPENING NO WAY IN HELL! I've emailed the owner and asked if I can hand over my uniforms to him instead. In the email, I offered to mail them with delivery confirmation, and stated if I don't hear back by the weekend, they go in the trash. My payroll has already been authorized, and it's illegal to withhold payroll over uniforms here anyway.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So I'm getting a shitload of threatening texts from former coworkers over me not finishing out my 2 weeks.

:wtc:

That is seriously hosed up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
So what is even the deal with your habit of jumping ship from pizza place to pizza place every few months? Just a while ago I remember you gushing about how much better Jets was run than the place you came from; that the people were super chill and you made so much more money than the old place that was dicking you around. Now, you're moving to a new place, because you're making crap money and the old place is dicking you around? Is this going to happen again in 3 months? Is the grass really greener?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I jumped from a very, very slow Pizza Hut (one that tried to be a dine in, buffet, full bar, drive through, delivery, and carry out) to a much busier Pizza Hut (delivery and carry out only). The area manager got pissed off about it since I did it without his approval, and told me to get lost, since I did it in a way that undermined his authority.

I jumped ship to Jet's. I drove far less, and at first, it seemed like I was making more, simply because I drove less. But after watching how many miles I drive, I drive just as much as my last pizza hut, but average 1-2 orders an hour, instead of 4-6.

I'm working with a bunch of people I've worked with before, in a fairly densely populated delivery area. It wasn't my decision to leave Pizza Hut last time; I was told to leave because I tried to transfer to another store in a way that the area manager didn't like. I went to Jet's, was promised at least 18 orders a day, and wound up with 3-8 a day.

I only worked at that particular Hut for 2 weeks, and only because when I put in my 2 weeks at my original store, I got fired immediately. The area manager let me finish out my 2 weeks with my original manager in his new store.

Jet's does have much better food, but I was making absolutely zilch there. I was lucky to get 5 orders on a busy day.

The people were chill as hell, until I put in my 2 weeks, then it turned into hostile central.

I hope to be out of this rate race in another 6 months.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
If it makes you feel any better STR, I've got an interview in the morning for a bakery position. Corporate IT work is making me miss food service.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Also, gently caress printers. gently caress them to hell forever. It's goddamn 2015, why is printing still completely bullshit and unreliable?

Lots of moving parts made as cheaply as possible, used frequently, and need software that supports a wide variety of file types and operating systems while still needing to maintain a high degree of precision.

Regular printers aren't so bad, save for some poor documentation by the installer or manufacturer. Label printers though? gently caress those. All of the above problems but they're expensive so they never get replaced. Ever. I once had to rig up one from 1999 to a win7 box. No drivers existed, so the only solution was a VM running a copy of win 2k we had lying around. This was deemed not fast enough so I recommended buying a new printer. They said no and had me hook it up to the box running the HVAC controls for the building that used win 2k. They then complained about having to switch computers to print labels. :downs:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I just got off the phone with Verizon. I was trying to downgrade to just internet.

Nope, apparently I agreed to a new 2 year contract in February! Except I didn't, and I asked at least 5 times "this will not extend or renew any contracts, correct?".

Several phone calls later, and a lot of "dude, please understand I'm not upset with YOU, it's your company I'm upset with, so please don't take my anger personally, it's NOT directed at you, but WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON", they're going to pull the recording. They've voided the contract, but also removed all discounts (bumping my internet to nearly $150/mo by itself). And apparently even though I've asked 4 times for a return shipment box for an unused cable box, I'm getting dinged for it.

I'm trying to knock it down to just internet with them. Every person I've ever spoken with at Verizon said that would never be a problem. Apparently now it is.

Time Warner's top of the line cable package, with 2 cable cards, 2 tuning adapters to go along with said cable cards, HBO, Showtime, and 1 HD box, is $85/month.

I need the upstream speed I get from FiOS, and for that matter, full retail on the internet package I have is HALF of what Verizon is telling me my new rate is.

:fuckoff:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Has anyone tried the 'street 5.0' series of pads from Hawk? Looks like they came out recently.

E: wait it's just new new HPS
pads. I thought it was a new application.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 21, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

"If you guys care this much about a lovely pizza shop, you seriously need to re-evaluate your lives. Peace out losers."

Anyways, you gotta love being the first one to use the port-a-potty after the poo poo-Sucker leaves. Today is off to a good start.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Super Aggro Crag posted:

"If you guys care this much about a lovely pizza shop, you seriously need to re-evaluate your lives. Peace out losers."

Anyways, you gotta love being the first one to use the port-a-potty after the poo poo-Sucker leaves. Today is off to a good start.

By the time they took the port-a-bog off our site for our house build, the tradies were sitting on two pieces of 4x2 on top of the seat because the splinters were preferable to exposing skin to the horrors of that plastic, and the extra 2" of clearance were needed too

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Movers coming today. Wife gets to supervise. I am scared. Someone hold me.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I may have driven like an rear end in a top hat this morning.

Between the Journey on Pandora and the BMW logo on my car, it was inevitable.

I'm sorry, other commuters.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Started The Killing yesterday on Netflix. This is pretty drat good.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

angryhampster posted:

Started The Killing yesterday on Netflix. This is pretty drat good.

Original Danish goodness or watered-down American remake?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

jamal posted:

I used to drive to Big Willow a lot (north of palmdale) and always went that way, but coming from the bay there it's not very direct. If you do go that way, upper or lower Big Tijunga are good options, so is going up to the top of mt wilson.

I'd say maybe drop down from bakersfield and go down 33 and then from thousand oaks go across mulholland and then down stunt or tuna canyon. Will put you on pch in malibu.

edit for another idea:

Cut across santa clarita to sand canyon, to little tijunga, the go over and up big tijunga to angeles forest highway and then back down angeles crest (or up a little). Those roads are more fun that the part of angles forest coming out of palmdale and lets you to avoid those shitholes altogether.

This was exactly what I was looking. Thanks!

Think I'll hit Little/Big Tujunga on the way down, from 5. Then the next day, do Mulholland and whatnot to Santa Barbara. Take 101 home. Make a loop of it. Should be a good weekend.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Original Danish goodness or watered-down American remake?

The American one. Is the Danish one better?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ah man, the A+. Brings back memories :allears:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

This is what happens when you only have 1 closet in the building with multiple runs over 300'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Most entry level certs are useless and we don't hire based upon certs or what trash tech school you went to.

I have zero certs and I turned out ok.

CCNA is where poo poo starts to become useful.

• Locked thread