Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

good news everyone, disney said none of the eu happened, so you don't have to be traumatized anymore. the thing this thread is about isn't real. it's like a bad dream. but you're awake now.

yet the books still exist and you can buy them, so they're actually real, which is something people have a hard time understanding

just because you're an atheist doesn't mean the bible doesn't exist in literature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Fetus Tree posted:

yet the books still exist and you can buy them, so they're actually real, which is something people have a hard time understanding

just because you're an atheist doesn't mean the bible doesn't exist in literature

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

My reaction to the new Star Wars trailers are "yep, that sure looks like another Star Wars movie. hopefully it will be good. if not, eh, it's not like a bad star wars thing is new"

it actually looks good

they could easily gently caress it up, but it kind of seems like they are looking at the reason that star wars was popular, and unlike george lucas, came to the conclusion its about characters more than lightsabers

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

i'm not saying they're actually all good or great, and the comment was mainly directed at the people that are going 'OH NO MY EU IS GONE', no it isn't. if you enjoyed reading them just because they're de-canonized doesn't mean you didn't ever enjoy reading them

i personally don't give a gently caress, primarily for the reasons ive stated

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Eonwe posted:

it actually looks good

they could easily gently caress it up, but it kind of seems like they are looking at the reason that star wars was popular, and unlike george lucas, came to the conclusion its about characters more than lightsabers

Yeah, the trailer does look pretty cool but I'm still withholding judgement.

I think I'm less excited for the actual movie as I am really curious to see how it turns out and what direction they take it in. Because it could be good, it could be a spectacular gently caress up, I dunno. It'll be interesting to find out.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

To be fair, some of the EU is much more readable than most of the bible.

Some of it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Now the average Star Wars EU fan is no better than the average Star Trek EU fan.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Out of morbid interest how is the new Star Wars Disney continuity books turning out to be? I have to admit any entire Tarkin book not tied to any EU poo poo seems kind of enticing.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Okay, I liked parts of Tarkin and Heir and New Dawn. They aren't aggressively bad but none of them stand out as good either. They all drag in parts and have some bad writing but I'd say I liked them all about as much as other recent books like Kenobi or Plagueis. Heir to the Jedi has a bit towards the end I won't spoil (it's still kinda new) that felt lazy and lame as poo poo, but I was liking the book till then so it ended up as a wash.

Heir has some really odd bits where OT characters discuss PT events like the clone wars which is super weird cause most of the OT books I've read were written long before the prequels so things like the clone wars and Jedi Knights are treated as vaguely as possible. Was odd hearing Luke directly reference "newer facts" if that makes any sense.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 21, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cnut the Great posted:

George Lucas made a character named Chewbacca (nickname Chewie), a loner character named Han Solo, a hero character named Luke Skywalker (named after himself), and an evil villain named Darth Vader (darth sounds like dark except with a weird sound on the end, and vader is short for invader).

but B.J. Dart or Darth Insanicus or whatever are somehow beyond the pale. newsflash: they're all loving retarded names springing from the diseased mind of a permanent child. the first two movies were good by accident but they were populated by retarded, one-dimensional stock characters with cringeworthy names and simple, predictable character arcs.

what eveyrone doesn't seem to understand is that Star Wars is Bad. the EU and the prequels are bad because they are 100% Star Wars in every way, and STar Wars is a loving terrible idea. Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back were flukes, and even they were only good, not great. they are very entertaining movies but they aren't great cinema.

Star Wars was ruined because george lucas wouldn't let it die back in the 80s, not because he somehow changed it for the worse. only once you understand this solemn fact can you be relieved of the burden of your disappointment. i dislike Lucas because of the terrible trends he inspired in mainstream cinema, not because he ruined Star Wars. i don't really care about Star Wars per se, and neither should you, if you are an adult

This is all very true IMO

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gammatron 64 posted:

These people aren't that excited either, they are overacting for views.

Doubt it, the whole thing was done pretty spontaneously between two shows (they do a 24/7-Twitch station, I caught that part live), grabbing whoever had time. They are just really, really big OT-Star Wars fans. The guy second on the left repeatedly talks about how he can't wait for his son to finally be old enough to watch the OT and similar hardcore fandom stuff. He did the morning show on the next day and spent another hour about how the trailer blew him away (and how he doesn't like the Marvel superhero movies...).

But then, I watch their stuff for over ten years now, so I'm probably biased.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Okay, I liked parts of Tarkin and Heir and New Dawn. They aren't aggressively bad but none of them stand out as good either. They all drag in parts and have some bad writing but I'd say I liked them all about as much as other recent books like Kenobi or Plagueis. Heir to the Jedi has a bit towards the end I won't spoil (it's still kinda new) that felt lazy and lame as poo poo, but I was liking the book till then so it ended up as a wash.

Heir has some really odd bits where OT characters discuss PT events like the clone wars which is super weird cause most of the OT books I've read were written long before the prequels so things like the clone wars and Jedi Knights are treated as vaguely as possible. Was odd hearing Luke directly reference "newer facts" if that makes any sense.

Cool, I figure for using a free audible credit that Tarkin will have to be pretty awful for me to be really annoyed and it's mostly to pass a day at work.

I know before the sale there was a Lucas Story Group in charge of managing materials across the universe, what does Disney have in place? It does seem while they're launching a ton of stuff they are trying to keep it cohesive at least for the first few years or movies.

Edit: Sweet it has music and sound effects and good voice acting...not bad.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 21, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Well that's preferable to how the old EU handled the PT, in which Luke spends an entire book series watching Revenge of the Sith (I'm not making that up).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirPhoebos posted:

Well that's preferable to how the old EU handled the PT, in which Luke spends an entire book series watching Revenge of the Sith (I'm not making that up).

:lol:

Did he rent a copy or see a play or something?

Richslode
May 2, 2013
The Star Wars Cinema Discusso thread has been closed. Expect the talk in this thread to be mainly about droid rights from now on.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

SirPhoebos posted:

can you elaborate on what you mean by this

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Richslode posted:

The Star Wars Cinema Discusso thread has been closed. Expect the talk in this thread to be mainly about droid rights from now on.

I'm pretty sure we can drown all that poo poo out.

Also via a very boring day and access to wookiepedia I learned that yes...droid rights were a thing in the EU.

Fetus Tree posted:

can you elaborate on what you mean by this

Yes, please. Did Luke use HoloRedBox?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Richslode posted:

Thank God. Now if only they could close down every thread in CD

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
IIRC correctly it was in the trilogy with Bug Orgies. r2-d2 had all it inside him the entire loving time, and finally let's luke see it 50 years after it happened. (It was not a good book series)

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

bunnyofdoom posted:

IIRC correctly it was in the trilogy with Bug Orgies. r2-d2 had all it inside him the entire loving time, and finally let's luke see it 50 years after it happened. (It was not a good book series)

every time i think this poo poo can't get any dumber

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

God I think you're right. Doesn't he show him footage of...younglings lmfao

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
God, I read thos books when I was like 17 and even then I thought it was poo poo.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Richslode posted:

Also why do Star Whores droids not have the three laws

or did they get 1.)Crush 2.)Kill 3.)Destroy instead

0.) dismantle yourself

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

If R2 actually had all that info in him the entire time he's the galaxy's biggest rear end in a top hat. I mean c'mon gently caress that guy. Watched Luke try to bang his sister. Let him think his dad is dead. Worst friend.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I want to know why there are so many droids who can't talk "basic." Seems like an rear end in a top hat design choice.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

muscles like this? posted:

I want to know why there are so many droids who can't talk "basic." Seems like an rear end in a top hat design choice.

beeb boot beeee boooo booo bzzzzzzt*

*don't droidspeak-shame

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just thought of something funny, in Episode 1 Anakin builds 3PO for his mom and then in Episode 4 Uncle Owen says he doesn't have any use for a protocol droid.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Clicked this thread for the first time immediately thinking of the loving Jedi Prince series and sure enough picture #1 is fuckin' Trioculus and Zorba :cripes: I'm mad that I even know what either of their stupid, stupid names are. Why does a Hutt have a beard? Why?

I read that entire series cover to cover when I was a kid because I was a little sperg who completely refused to read Star Wars books any way other than in chronological order. Even in my little-kid state where I didn't know how to tell if something was bad yet I could tell the entire series was a loving shitstain abortion and I kept reading it all the way through anyway, because :spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

I dunno, I guess I thought other books that took place later in time would make references to events from the loving Jedi Prince series, the quintessential linchpin of Star Wars history, and I'd be confused if I hadn't read it firsthand. I never even made it all the way to the Thrawn trilogy because I kept getting bogged down in complete bullshit like Jedi Prince or Splinter of the Mind's Eye, holy poo poo I am so mad at kid-me right now :mad:

Rogue Squadron was p good poo poo though

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
did you at least read the AC crispin han solo books

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fetus Tree posted:

did you at least read the AC crispin han solo books

Yes but I only remember them in a really vague way because I was honestly too young to be reading them at the time

THAT's when I should have been reading the loving Jedi Prince series

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There are two characters in Jedi Prince who have three eyes. One is Trioculus. His name means "three eyes." The other one is Triclops. His name means "three eyes." Both of them are claimed to be the son of Emperor Palpatine (who had two eyes), and both of them have names denoting how many eyes they have.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 22, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

loquacius posted:

There are two characters in Jedi Prince who have three eyes. One is Trioculus. His name means "three eyes." The other one is Triclops. His name means "three eyes." Both of them are claimed to be the son of Emperor Palpatine (who had two eyes), and both of them have names denoting how many eyes they have.

that always confused the ever living gently caress otu of me

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

loquacius posted:

Triclops was a white-haired mutant with three eyes, one being on the back of his head, and sported scars on his temples from electroshocks administered by the Galactic Empire. He was trained to be an Emperor's Eye but Palpatine considered him one of his greatest failures, and had him imprisoned. He languished for years in an Imperial prison on Kessel, fathering a son, Ken, with a former Jedi named Kendalina.

"The Grand Moffs refuse to admit officially that Triclops exists. They believe he's insane, and they’re terrified that if he's ever set free, he might take over as ruler of the Empire, and destroy everything in the galaxy, including them!"
―Ken

"Triclops is the deepest, darkest secret of the Empire. The only Imperials who know of his existence are the most powerful members of the Imperial ruling class, such as the Grand Moffs."
―Ken

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 22, 2015

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I refuse to believe an EU character exists with a name as pedestrian as Ken

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Don't worry, it's only Ken because his mom's name is Kendalina

Kendalina

Also the Grand Moffs all fly around together on one ship called the Moffship because the Jedi Prince series was loving terrible

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Ken was a male Human who was the son of Triclops and a "Jedi Princess" named Kendalina, therefore supposedly making Ken the grandson of Emperor Palpatine and a "Jedi Prince."

"Just Ken. I was never given a last name by the droids."
―Ken

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loquacius posted:

Clicked this thread for the first time immediately thinking of the loving Jedi Prince series and sure enough picture #1 is fuckin' Trioculus and Zorba :cripes: I'm mad that I even know what either of their stupid, stupid names are. Why does a Hutt have a beard? Why?
Hey buddy of equally bad judgment in Hutt related reading.

I knew when I saw that pic on the first cover that it seemed...oddly familiar, but I couldn't figure out why until you mentioned Zorba. Turns out that yep that was the one EU book I read as a kid. I remember finishing it and then bugging a person who was really into Star Wars (I'd say I'm in third grade at this point) when the next book would come out. Thankfully I lost interest and stopped checking....I guess I should be very happy.

Oddly enough the cover never set off alarm bells, I think the fact it had Han Solo on it and a Hutt out for revenge, carbonite...and was under 130 pages, was all I needed and for the life of me besides the Hutt winning Jabba's place back in a card game...all I can even remember.

:lol:
Poor Lando got clowned bad though.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Sate Pestage

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
how the gently caress does smg not only insist that avengers have bad cinematography to the point of posting it screenshot by screenshot but somehow apparently praised tpm's blocking???

my stand is both are poorly done but still idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
also i still like terry's transformer essay but she's very nice about the entire having a viewpoint and wanting to share it thing, instead of smg's king of poo poo mountain attitude

• Locked thread