Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mcqueen posted:

Put a Depo intercooler and Turbosmart BOV on the FoST.

The intercooler is awesome, huge, and heat soak is no longer an issue. Will just boost all day long.

The BOV is dumb and serves no purpose with the stock turbo. I just had a gift card and like loud noises.

Loud noises are the best purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
That reminds me, if anyone wants bov noise somewhere between aftermarket intake and boomba (loud) on a FiST, the mini cooper s bov fits perfectly and can be had for $30 shipped on Ebay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTdaJbMTP3w

Not my video or car, I personally find a drop in filter and open airbox gives just enough sound.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr.Caligari posted:

Not my video or car, I personally find a drop in filter and open airbox gives just enough sound.

That's what I did on my FiST. I had an intake for a while but it made some weird sounds (along with some awesome ones) but I replaced it with a k&n filter in the factory air box and now it sounds perfect.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

Dr.Caligari posted:

Likewise on my FoST. I slapped in a Green filter and left the airbox open and am liking the more aggressive sound over stock.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm getting too old. I kind of really like that the FoST is so quiet. I commute over 100 miles per day in it, so I just like that it's comfortable and quiet as a daily driver.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Locator posted:

I'm getting too old. I kind of really like that the FoST is so quiet. I commute over 100 miles per day in it, so I just like that it's comfortable and quiet as a daily driver.

The sound I like the most is the turbo 'tisss' noise after getting a little boost and taking my foot off the throttle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KakerMix posted:

The sound I like the most is the turbo 'tisss' noise after getting a little boost and taking my foot off the throttle.

For some reason, a Buick Regal Turbo had the best turbo noises of any car I have driven recently - it was very quiet, other than the turbo. Sounded great.

likely the turbo was breaking completely GM build quality hehe

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It's hard to even tell that my TDI has a snail under the hood. Although the amount of noise it makes at the intake when you stand on it is hilarious. It sucks sooooooo much air at WoT.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I've owned 23 cars including my FiST and never once have I had curb damage in my 18 years of driving. The FiST's wheels are a magnet to damage. I feel like a moron driving around with curbed wheels, but the silly low profile tires and the fact that the edge of the rim sits about an inch from the road makes it nearly impossible to avoid in Los Angeles. Hopefully I'm not the only one.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BoostCreep posted:

I've owned 23 cars including my FiST and never once have I had curb damage in my 18 years of driving. The FiST's wheels are a magnet to damage. I feel like a moron driving around with curbed wheels, but the silly low profile tires and the fact that the edge of the rim sits about an inch from the road makes it nearly impossible to avoid in Los Angeles. Hopefully I'm not the only one.

Yep, curbed mine ever so slightly in the first week of owning it then over the next year apparently did it again several more times even though I never felt it. Both front and rear passenger side.

KakerMix posted:

Things like this would drive me up the loving wall. My father in law dealt with a 'suddenly heater full blast' in his 2013 Chevy Truck. And we're in south Florida.

bobfather posted:

Are you joking? Electrical gremlins are the worst sort. Bring your car back to your dealer and have them sort that poo poo out.

I may have overstated how often the heater actually comes on seemingly at random, it's only happened 3 times in 15 months of ownership. Each time it seemed to happen when turning left while getting on a specific freeway on-ramp near my old apartment. Maybe I'll take it in to have them check it out but it's really not a big deal. Just a thing that happens.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've curbed my Speed, because I suck.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

When I'm off work I will make you both feel better. I've curbed mine at least twice and have damage to 2 (if not 3) out of 4 rims. The first time I did it I knew immediately and felt sick. I totally avoid street parking or parking near curbs in parking lots now. I'm terrible car stuff.

Off topic, but what is the threads thoughts on the Caliber SRT4? I never hear it mentioned. The body styling looks like a 16 year old was given a body shop, blank check and a base model Caliber and told to get to work. Is the engine the same as in the Neon SRT?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dr.Caligari posted:

When I'm off work I will make you both feel better. I've curbed mine at least twice and have damage to 2 (if not 3) out of 4 rims. The first time I did it I knew immediately and felt sick. I totally avoid street parking or parking near curbs in parking lots now. I'm terrible car stuff.

Off topic, but what is the threads thoughts on the Caliber SRT4? I never hear it mentioned. The body styling looks like a 16 year old was given a body shop, blank check and a base model Caliber and told to get to work. Is the engine the same as in the Neon SRT?

I don't know anything about it, but it's base is a Caliber and that's reason enough to brush whatever comes from it right off.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I bought a 2012 GTI about a month and a half ago, and yeah, I managed to get curb rash on day two. Not that there wasn't a bit on the wheels already, but c'mon, one day later? :(

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I guess two different ones damaged on that one occasion.

I also knocked this piece of trim loose when I did a little off roading.

I have no business having a new car

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The only wheel I have ever curbed is my current set of 19s. I was leaving an ATM and the island was about 6 foot longer than I assumed it was. That one hurt. Luckily the wheels have a stainless steel lip, so a bit of 800 grit and some polish and you'd never know.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I got a breedt BOV for my fiesta for ai secret santa and I just got around to installing it, but holy poo poo it's just way too loud and obnoxious for me - anyone want it?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm usually pretty good about not curbing wheels. It happens every now and then though.

Got some new tires on the Golf today. Continental Extreme Contact DW. Figured I might as well grab some summer tires even though I'll take an mpg hit.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Test drive the 2015 FoST tonight. The car is nice but the thigh bolsters on the recaros are really prominent and narrow.

How much do they loosen up and how quickly?

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

TKIY posted:

Test drive the 2015 FoST tonight. The car is nice but the thigh bolsters on the recaros are really prominent and narrow.

Im 6'3 205 and I got used to it by the next day. I dont know if over time I broke them in, or I got used to them, or both. I love them now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

I'm usually pretty good about not curbing wheels. It happens every now and then though.

Got some new tires on the Golf today. Continental Extreme Contact DW. Figured I might as well grab some summer tires even though I'll take an mpg hit.

Loved those on the Golf.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

TKIY posted:

Fwiw, the 2015 FoST Recaros are substantially cushier than the 13-14.

You'll get used to them and they'll get used to you.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

fknlo posted:

I'm considering these for my A3. Any idea on treadwear? Normally I just buy some sticky summers but they'll burn up on my long commute now.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

fknlo posted:

grab some summer tires even though I'll take an mpg hit.

Summer tires increase fuel consumption?

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Voltage posted:

I got a breedt BOV for my fiesta for ai secret santa and I just got around to installing it, but holy poo poo it's just way too loud and obnoxious for me - anyone want it?

I would love it! What do you want for it?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

AnimalChin posted:

Better grip gets me to put my right foot down more, thus consuming fuel. Maybe it's the same for him. Either that or perhaps he's got some low rolling resistance eco tires on there and putting proper summer tires on will get rid of the eco-ness.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

smooth jazz posted:

Fwiw, the 2015 FoST Recaros are substantially cushier than the 13-14.

You'll get used to them and they'll get used to you.

Like more padding and less aggressive?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

AnimalChin posted:

I think I've read that and I would assume so over a lower rolling resistance tire. I could be completely wrong though.

8ender posted:

I'm considering these for my A3. Any idea on treadwear? Normally I just buy some sticky summers but they'll burn up on my long commute now.

Not sure, but they seem to be a pretty popular replacement on TDI's, so it can't be too terrible. The only real complaints I've seen are about "soft" sidewalls and how they suck in snow.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

BrownieVK posted:

I would love it! What do you want for it?

If you pay for shipping it's yours, email me allidoistype at gmail dot com. I still have to take it off but I should have time this weekend.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

8ender posted:

I run DWS and have about 30k on them now. They have probably another 5-10k on left on them, but I also ten to abuse them. I'd be lucky to get 20k out of DW. I have yet to actually push past the limits on the DWS.

Also, the DWS was my "winter tire" for the first 2 seasons I had the TDI and they're great in the snow for an all season. Nothing compared to my WinterExtremes though.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 21, 2015

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

howling_mad posted:

Like more padding and less aggressive?

More padding with softer leather. The bolsters, while the same shape, have more give to them.
It's not subtle.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

smooth jazz posted:

More padding with softer leather. The bolsters, while the same shape, have more give to them.
It's not subtle.

Hmm, it'll be interesting to see how they hold up. I guess I need to sit in a 2015 to really get an idea for the changes.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

howling_mad posted:

Hmm, it'll be interesting to see how they hold up. I guess I need to sit in a 2015 to really get an idea for the changes.

It doesn't help that I was test driving a Genesis the week before I drove the FoST. The Genesis interior is like sitting in a strippers lap.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

The Genesis interior is like sitting in a strippers lap.

Full of glitter and trucker sweat?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

fknlo posted:

Full of glitter and trucker sweat?

Uncomfortable and vaguely dirty even at the beginning?

Also, all you guys with curbed wheels: every FiST/FoST I see here in socal has gouges in the wheels.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
My GTI came with all-season tires, but I live by the coast in North Carolina. Could I use Summer tires year round? Or get some summer tires and use the all-seasons as my "winter" tires?

Hi I'm new to cars. I've been driving pickup trucks for the past 2 decades.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Summer tires are kind of a misnomer; they will work well in everything but snow/ice.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

AnimalChin posted:

My GTI came with all-season tires, but I live by the coast in North Carolina. Could I use Summer tires year round? Or get some summer tires and use the all-seasons as my "winter" tires?

I drove in Raleigh during the nasty-rear end winter (for the south) we had in 2013 on summer tires. You'll be fine with "summer-only" tires.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

AF posted:

Summer tires are kind of a misnomer; they will work well in everything but snow/ice.

Better way to describe them. They work well above freezing and best above 80. Winter tires are mainly for when its 45 and below. Which isn't exactly an issue in the Carolinas I'd imagine. Well at least not outside of those 3-4 days a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

AnimalChin posted:

I'm in jacksonville and was worried about it with my FoST. No problems this past winter.