Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Cnn reporting us moving to intercept iranian ships, apparently to search for weapons. Cnn reporting intercepting 7-9 iranian ships, unkown if intent to board. If they enter yemeni territory will be borded.

Im seeing this closed caption at the gym, anyone got some info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Nuclear weapons and arming rebels called separate issues by state dep

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
who is D&D backing

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
In'sallah we will bathe the middle east in cleansing nuclear hellfire regardless

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Shooting Blanks posted:

Get the popcorn, ISIS and Taliban declared jihad on each other supposedly.

http://www.khaama.com/isis-taliban-announced-jihad-against-each-other-3206

No matter who you root for, you feel guilty!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Kiryen posted:

No matter who you root for, you feel guilty!

Senator Harry S. Truman posted:

If we see that Germany is winning we ought to help Russia, and if Russia is winning we ought to help Germany, and that way let them kill as many as possible although I don't want to see Hitler victorious under any circumstances.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

go3 posted:

who is D&D backing

The oppressed Muslims

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well this is interesting:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/20/politics/iran-united-states-warships-monitoring/

So Iran wants to arm the Houthis, and we are backing the Saudis?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Frosted Flake posted:

Have you not been following this thread or news aside from fox news?

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Frosted Flake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X05XBgHMkSc

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I just didn't think the US would intervene. I know there's the whole Sunni-Shia proxy war, but I thought there was a general hands-off policy, in light of the deal with Iran.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Boy how bout that Iran deal though

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Shooting Blanks posted:

Get the popcorn, ISIS and Taliban declared jihad on each other supposedly.

http://www.khaama.com/isis-taliban-announced-jihad-against-each-other-3206

Hot drat. :getin:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

go3 posted:

who is D&D backing

Anmerica

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Fister Roboto posted:

Earlier this month. Cadet was found wounded in his room, he died in the hospital, and they said it didn't look like suicide. Then they basically said "nope, it's totally suicide, nothing to see here, move along".

Then a couple days ago his mom went missing in one of the local parks. They found her body on Saturday.

e: http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Mother-Of-Deceased-AFA-Missing-Family-Seeking-Publics-Help-300084461.html

Don't forget there's been something like 3 or 4 "attacks" on some of the running trails so the leadership basically ordered everyone to use the buddy system at all times outside the actual campus or cadet areas or whatever.

Best Friends posted:

The funniest ideological conflict in the world today is between the houthis, who hold 9/11 being a Jewish American plot to destroy Muslims as their core foundational belief, versus al Qaeda , who believe they did 9/11. Yemen right now is a giant war about who really hates America and Israel more with both sides considering the other to be effectively Mossad agents. It's like if a conspiracy message board became an active, Allah loving conflict zone.

I posted several weeks ago that our policy in Yemen now should be sit back and watch AQAP/the Sunnis and the Houthis kill each other. We should just make sure to drone whoever appears to be getting the upper hand so as to keep the conflict going for as long as possible.

But then the loving Saudis had to get involved and now we're helping them in their war on Shi'a because IRAN or something. And of course by "helping" I mean we're providing the bombs, fuel, and all the intel as well as tanking, C2, and CSAR support...so basically we're doing everything except physically dropping the bombs. But nope, we're not fighting a war in Yemen, we're just providing "logistical and intelligence support."

I'm really looking forward to the leaps in logic they have to use to justify not going as hard after AQAP once they've put the Houthis down.

Frosted Flake posted:

I just didn't think the US would intervene. I know there's the whole Sunni-Shia proxy war, but I thought there was a general hands-off policy, in light of the deal with Iran.

Like I said, we are literally waging a full blown air war in Yemen other than the fact that Saudi airplanes are doing the actual bomb dropping.

I would say that also we're not directly involved in the blockade because that's a Saudi/Egyptian show but welp

e: Frontline did a feature on Yemen a week or two ago that's pretty well done. Nothing mind blowing if you've been following the conflict(s) in any sort of detail over the last several months/years but if you're looking for a primer on where things sit and how we got to now it's about the best thing out there in common media. I watched it with my dad, and afterwards we were having a discussion about the history of Yemen and how it's had more than a few conflicts (I was specifically talking about the Egyptian intervention that went so badly for them that one historian said something along the lines of "Vietnam could have very well been called 'America's Yemen.'") Anyway, I googled "Yemeni Civil War" to look up some details on that specific conflict and holy loving lol

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 21, 2015

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
our policy should be just buy oil from whatever wacko currently controls it let them use the money to kill each other

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Don't forget there's been something like 3 or 4 "attacks" on some of the running trails so the leadership basically ordered everyone to use the buddy system at all times outside the actual campus or cadet areas or whatever.

It's kind of bizarre reading Academy cadets talk about it. There's a lot of "we're not supposed to talk or speculate about things" going on that seems fairly out of the ordinary. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but why then is the Academy having such a hard time stating clearly what's happened? If it's a random attack then why are they saying the cadet was "found injured", and if it was a suicide then why aren't they calling it a terrible tragedy and announcing all calls and counseling?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 21, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
There's probably an ongoing investigation.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Then say there's an on-going investigation. We aren't making it up when we say that USAFA's public statements on the matter were literally "well a cadet was injured and then died and it seems a little odd" followed by "IT WAS A SUICIDE--NOSHING EXTRAORDINARY HAPPENED" followed by silence.

I mean this isn't surprising considering it's a) the AF and b) USAFA but still

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Spicy Guacamole posted:

The articles are saying it's not a criminal one, apparently, which makes it weird in the context of the "attacks" going on unless they're completely unrelated.

I dunno why I'm so curious about this, I guess I just get the feeling they found the kid in the center of a blood pentagram or something. How much investigation does a suicide need?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
gentlemen this could be it, we may be thru the looking glass here

when the bombs start falling, just know it was an honor posting with you all :flashfap:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Airborne aaaand...?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Ukrainian Army.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

The whole thing has just been an enormous clusterfuck. A friend of mine who teaches at the Academy said that the funeral service was atrocious, with the chaplain saying wonderful things to the parents like "I know your pain, my daughter died too" and "don't blame yourselves".

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

gentlemen this could be it, we may be thru the looking glass here

when the bombs start falling, just know it was an honor posting with you all :flashfap:

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

Jesus loving Christ, and we are just stuffing our dicks into this hornets nest?

The Orgasm Sanction fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 21, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Intel5 posted:

Because nobody wants to be responsible for ignoring the formation of the next 9-11 producing Al Qaeda hosting Islamic extremist state.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

That looks like the parade field from the joint multinational training facility near Kiev. The 173rd has been participating in yearly joint exercises there for years. I went myself years ago.

Edit: phone posting quoted the wrong post

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 21, 2015

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Waroduce posted:

Nuclear weapons and arming rebels called separate issues by state dep

...until proven otherwise.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Godholio posted:

Airborne aaaand...?

Kazinsal posted:

Ukrainian Army.

In Ukraine.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
it's never your ukraine, it's a ukraine

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Don't worry, Canadian troops will be there soon too!

Because apparently we LOVE cockwaving as of late!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Intel5 posted:

we love the crazies

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

Don't worry, Canadian troops will be there soon too!

Because apparently we LOVE cockwaving as of late!

Ugh, I know. Harper better not get another five years in 24 Sussex.

If someone has to fire the first shot of WW3 I hope it's a Canadian, just to mix it up a bit and make everyone go "wait, what?" before we receive the all-loving thermonuclear hug.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

all-loving thermonuclear hug.

Namechange pls.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Will you guys apologize right before all the nukes go off?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
We'll set up a Tim's like we did at Kandahar so everyone has a nice place to watch the fireworks from.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Sweet, I know where I'm going for front row seats to the apocalypse.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Mike-o posted:

Will you guys apologize right before all the nukes go off?

"Uhh. Mr. Putin, I have a communique from the ambassador from Canada."

"Let me see it pleb."

*Dear Mr. Putin,

I regret to inform you that the great nation of Canada has elected to expend our nuclear arsenal on various targets within the Russian locale.

I'm terribly sorry to do this to you, but you might want to get into your bunker. The first missile will reach Moscow in 5 minutes.

Again, my sincerest of apologies Mr. Putin.

Your Buddy,

The Canadian Ambassador to Russia*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I just don't get why we're going to Ukraine. It's like having a cock-waving contest between Mandingo and Doug McKenzie.

• Locked thread