Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kenny Logins posted:

Good Old Games is having a pretty decent sale on IE games for the next 18 hours or so. It's cheaper (80% off) to buy the whole bundle, but there's still a decent (60% off) discount on individual titles, which include all the games we're talking about in this thread.

$4 CAD each on my end, pretty drat decent indeed.
Following up on this, the sale appears to be going for longer than what I originally indicated, though probably no more than a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Thaddius the Large posted:

Yeah, path finding sucks, there's no way around that one.

They did fix it by adding in the pathing options in the original games. I felt like although it wasn't 100% after that it was definitely far better.
Somehow the EE broke the pathfinding again.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Somewhere along the way in BG2 my Kensai lost his kit and is now a plain fighter, despite still having 3 uses of Kai. Yay now I can wear armor?

ed: Hm, looks like I lost it somewhere between level 12 and 15. Oh well, now I can dual wield since I'm not dependent on One Weapon Style for extra AC.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 19, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ah, Spellhold in BG2. Why put in a few riddles and puzzles when you could put in FIFTY THOUSAND?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Seriously, someone at Bioware had a raging boner for terrible riddles.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I have mountains but am flat, I am made of paper or cloth but you don't wipe your mouth or rear end with me.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Is it stars? No, wait! It's death, isn't? It's always death!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I like the riddles tbh

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Haha oh man I just obliterated the Shadow Dragon in BG2. It only had enough time to get off its opening dispel magic when it spotted one of my summons. Feels great considering how much trouble that fucker gave me when I first played years ago.

Also very much enjoying my shiny new -12 AC thanks to the engine losing my kensai kit.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I decided to recruit Haer Dalis, and I did the quest where you save him from the dimensional prison.

The toughest part was defeating the warden. What I did was buff the party with Bless, Chant, Haste and Draw Upon Holy Might, all in conjunction. One thing I hate is that (unless I'm missing something) the game never tells you what enemies are immune to what damage types. The warden was immune to slashing damage, so my fighter couldn't attack him at close range, so I had the whole party attack him with range attacks. It took a few tries, but I finally beat him, only losing Jaheira, who I was able to resurrect right after.

In one attempt, I managed to beat him, but Aerie died and Minsc was petrified. I was able to resurrect Aerie, but before she could undo the petrification on Minsc, he exploded. The reason I bring this up is because I find it odd, since I'm playing on Normal, where perma-death is disabled.

I also have a few annoyances regarding magic: The first is with protection against magic. The majority of spells (at least the ones I have) that protect against magic only extend to the caster, but not to the rest of the party.

Another is how spells don't always seem like they're effective. In the warden fight, I had Aerie try casting Silence, but the was still able to cast spells at me. I checked the log to see if the spell had been interrupted or if the Warden was immune, but I didn't see anything (maybe I missed it.)

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

The toughest part was defeating the warden. What I did was buff the party with Bless, Chant, Haste and Draw Upon Holy Might, all in conjunction. One thing I hate is that (unless I'm missing something) the game never tells you what enemies are immune to what damage types. The warden was immune to slashing damage, so my fighter couldn't attack him at close range, so I had the whole party attack him with range attacks. It took a few tries, but I finally beat him, only losing Jaheira, who I was able to resurrect right after.
Pretty sure he isn't immune to slashing, just that he has Stoneskin and a few other buffs.

Max Wilco posted:

Another is how spells don't always seem like they're effective. In the warden fight, I had Aerie try casting Silence, but the was still able to cast spells at me. I checked the log to see if the spell had been interrupted or if the Warden was immune, but I didn't see anything (maybe I missed it.)
Almost all casters are scripted to ForceSpell Vocalize if silenced so all that does is slow down his casting.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

In one attempt, I managed to beat him, but Aerie died and Minsc was petrified. I was able to resurrect Aerie, but before she could undo the petrification on Minsc, he exploded. The reason I bring this up is because I find it odd, since I'm playing on Normal, where perma-death is disabled.

That only protects party members from exploding and dying permanently if they get hit for too much damage. I can never remember if its -15% or -15 HP, but a hit that would take them lower than that (i.e. on 5HP and get hit for 21 damage) makes them explode.

Its strange that he exploded, petrified people only do that if they take damage. It can happen on the easiest difficulty though.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

fong posted:

That only protects party members from exploding and dying permanently if they get hit for too much damage. I can never remember if its -15% or -15 HP, but a hit that would take them lower than that (i.e. on 5HP and get hit for 21 damage) makes them explode.

Its strange that he exploded, petrified people only do that if they take damage. It can happen on the easiest difficulty though.

DoT that didn't wear off when he got petrified?

Also he wasn't technically in the party since petrifaction automatically removes the character from the party, hence no 'splode protection. (P sure it's -15 hp.)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Corvinus posted:

Pretty sure he isn't immune to slashing, just that he has Stoneskin and a few other buffs.
I just assumed it was immunity to slashing damage since I was attacking with a Long Sword.

razorrozar posted:

Also he wasn't technically in the party since petrifaction automatically removes the character from the party, hence no 'splode protection. (P sure it's -15 hp.)
Yeah, when Minsc got petrified, his portrait disappeared from the party lineup.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah, when Minsc got petrified, his portrait disappeared from the party lineup.

That's always the case, otherwise if you had no de-petrify spells you could get trapped in areas ("you must gather your party before venturing forth"). Its an engine restriction, basically.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

fong posted:

That's always the case, otherwise if you had no de-petrify spells you could get trapped in areas ("you must gather your party before venturing forth"). Its an engine restriction, basically.

Makes sense.

Some other things I wanted to touch on:
  • I found a site (http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php/Baldur%27s_Gate) that's helped me understand the mechanics a bit better. I was amazed that at Level 21, a Fighter ends up with a THAC0 of 0. If you reach that point, do you manage to hit every time, or does it just balance out with late game enemies that have a high armor class?
  • Since I'm playing BGT, I checked a save from the start of BG2, and I realized that Imoen's class didn't change in the transition from BG1 to BG2. When she rejoins the party, should I dual-class her as a mage, or should she just remain a thief?
  • Right now, I'm thinking about temporarily dropping Yoshimo and replacing him with Jan . The only reason I want to do that is because I plan on getting up the Silver Pantaloons. This walkthrough describes the method to acquire them without losing reputation, and it requires skill in Pick Pocket. Should I stick with that party change? I have to check again, but I think Yoshimo is around Lvl.12, and when you get Jan, he's a Lvl.8 Thief, Lvl. 7 Illusionist.

There were a couple of other things I wanted to bring up or ask about, but I can't remember them all at the moment.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Max Wilco posted:

Makes sense.

• I found a site (http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php/Baldur%27s_Gate) that's helped me understand the mechanics a bit better. I was amazed that at Level 21, a Fighter ends up with a THAC0 of 0. If you reach that point, do you manage to hit every time, or does it just balance out with late game enemies that have a high armor class?
  • Since I'm playing BGT, I checked a save from the start of BG2, and I realized that Imoen's class didn't change in the transition from BG1 to BG2. When she rejoins the party, should I dual-class her as a mage, or should she just remain a thief?
  • Right now, I'm thinking about temporarily dropping Yoshimo and replacing him with Jan . The only reason I want to do that is because I plan on getting up the Silver Pantaloons. This walkthrough describes the method to acquire them without losing reputation, and it requires skill in Pick Pocket. Should I stick with that party change? I have to check again, but I think Yoshimo is around Lvl.12, and when you get Jan, he's a Lvl.8 Thief, Lvl. 7 Illusionist.

There were a couple of other things I wanted to bring up or ask about, but I can't remember them all at the moment.
THACO refers to what number you have to roll under (on a d20) to hit AC 0. By the end of BG2 Shadows of Amn you can easily get your fighters below AC -10 meaning a THAC0 of 0 means a 50/50 shot of hitting them. Late game enemies (in SoA) tend to wear heavier (magical) armor so tend towards having sub-zero AC. In other words, tends to balance out, leaving aside magical protections against normal/magical weapons which make mages all but mandatory.

By the end of Throne of Bhaal I had my eleven Archer at a -27 THACO. It was really neat.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Makes sense.

1) THACO minus AC is the number you need to meet or exceed in order to land a hit. As MW pointed out, by the time you have a 0 THACO, your opponents are regularly running around with -10 or better AC. Still, once you're in ToB, all melee connect pretty much all the time.
2) You must have a mod going In BG2, Imoen always starts as a dual-classed thief-mage.
3) Jan is really good and quite entertaining. He's definitely behind a bit in your game - BG2 really does punish you for switching characters - but if it really bothers you, you can up his xp via either EEKeeper or the console.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Taliesyn posted:

2) You must have a mod going In BG2, Imoen always starts as a dual-classed thief-mage.
Yeah, like I said, I'm playing the game via BGT (Baldur's Gate Trilogy). There were some other things that carried over as well. I think Minsc's racial enemy in BG2 is supposed to be vampires, but it's still Gnolls, like in BG1. I also think I started at lower level then you would if you had started directly from BG2.

Taliesyn posted:

3) Jan is really good and quite entertaining. He's definitely behind a bit in your game - BG2 really does punish you for switching characters - but if it really bothers you, you can up his xp via either EEKeeper or the console.
I sorta figured I'd have to use the console at some point. Hell, I might do the same with Imoen to make it match with the start of BG2.

My concern at this point is making sure I've got a party that can make through to the end of the game without too much trouble.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
You don't need to do any console fuckery. If you want to keep Imoen as a pure thief, do that. If you want to dual class her, do that. If you want to pick up Jan, do that. Just play the drat game.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The way XP works he's only going to be a level behind within short order, don't stress.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Smol posted:

You don't need to do any console fuckery. If you want to keep Imoen as a pure thief, do that. If you want to dual class her, do that. If you want to pick up Jan, do that. Just play the drat game.

But how does a non-mage Imoen get arrested for unlicensed wizardry?

Game breaking plot hole, I tell you

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Krowley posted:

But how does a non-mage Imoen get arrested for unlicensed wizardry?

Game breaking plot hole, I tell you

Assume her un-removable belt let her cast magic missile in plot relevant moments. Even if she's a wizard the same thing happens if she has zero spells memorized.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah, like I said, I'm playing the game via BGT (Baldur's Gate Trilogy). There were some other things that carried over as well. I think Minsc's racial enemy in BG2 is supposed to be vampires, but it's still Gnolls, like in BG1. I also think I started at lower level then you would if you had started directly from BG2.

The whole point of BGT is that your characters stay the same, so yeah if you never dual Imoen in BG1 she remains a single class thief. It's probably better to dual her at 8 anyway though. Minsc's racial enemy is annoying, since gnolls are a joke by the time BG2 rolls around. I would just change that.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I actually had the opposite problem with Imoen in my current play-through. When she rejoined the party back in Spellhold, her mage level was set to 24 or some drat ridiculous thing, but with the spell slots and experience of a level 14 character. Easy enough to fix with EEKeeper, of course, and I'm guessing a mod did it, though god only knows which one.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

The OP part about IWD2 being pretty hard is certainly no lie. I found BG2 was easy enough if you have decently-optimized characters and know where to find even halfway decent equipment but this is just a whole new ball game. Finally, a reason to use summon/animate dead spells, and I'm only fighting goblinoids so far.

In case anyone is a Mac Air IE gamer, the GOG.com version runs pretty decently, although not quite as well as BG2:EE from the App Store in terms of battery life/system temperature.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Taliesyn posted:

1) THACO minus AC is the number you need to meet or exceed in order to land a hit. As MW pointed out, by the time you have a 0 THACO, your opponents are regularly running around with -10 or better AC. Still, once you're in ToB, all melee connect pretty much all the time.
This applies to some of the beefier enemies too (hi Fire Giants!) so bear in mind that it gets harder to use fighters as tanks.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zephro posted:

This applies to some of the beefier enemies too (hi Fire Giants!) so bear in mind that it gets harder to use fighters as tanks.

By the time you're fighting fire giants your mages should have Time Stop and/or Imp Alacrity plus ninth level spells. Who needs a tank?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kenny Logins posted:

The OP part about IWD2 being pretty hard is certainly no lie. I found BG2 was easy enough if you have decently-optimized characters and know where to find even halfway decent equipment but this is just a whole new ball game. Finally, a reason to use summon/animate dead spells, and I'm only fighting goblinoids so far.
IWD2 isnt that hard in my opinion, but I played it a lot so I learned ways to cheese it pretty well. A good way of cheesing it is having two clerics in your party so you can cast Animate Dead every new map, and have two mages sorcerers so you can cast Stoneskin on each. Then have the Zombie Lords or BoneGuards draw aggro and drop AoE spells that they are immune to on them and laugh. Or drop Web and Grease on them and arrow/bolt everything to death.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

IWD2 isnt that hard in my opinion, but I played it a lot so I learned ways to cheese it pretty well. A good way of cheesing it is having two clerics in your party so you can cast Animate Dead every new map, and have two mages sorcerers so you can cast Stoneskin on each. Then have the Zombie Lords or BoneGuards draw aggro and drop AoE spells that they are immune to on them and laugh. Or drop Web and Grease on them and arrow/bolt everything to death.
Perhaps it's that I don't know all the cheesings yet although I have a bit of an advantage by being familiar with 3.x from back in the day. I already do have the two clerics and fully intend on exploiting the hell out of Animate Dead, but thanks for the Stoneskin tip- hadn't thought of that one. Partly because I'm used to BG2 where it was a caster-only spell. I do have two sorcerors, luckily.

I don't know for sure but I've read that a patch nerfed Animate Dead a bit by capping the best undead you can get out of the spell lower than on initial release.

I guess I shouldn't say it's "hard", but it's definitely more challenging, and more satisfying as a result, is all. I found BG2 got pretty ridiculously easy at points and had some really obvious exploits.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
If memory serves, IWD2 is so lean with spell scrolls that you can kit out at most one non-spontaneous caster, and perhaps not even that. It's been a while, but from what I remember I could not fault anyone for leaning on sorcerers and bards for their arcane magic.

Seriously, bards are the dog's bollocks in IWD2 - use one.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

If memory serves, IWD2 is so lean with spell scrolls that you can kit out at most one non-spontaneous caster, and perhaps not even that. It's been a while, but from what I remember I could not fault anyone for leaning on sorcerers and bards for their arcane magic.

Seriously, bards are the dog's bollocks in IWD2 - use one.
I've mentioned it in this thread a while ago (so apologies for repeating) I'm using a fighter 4/barbarian X, axe-cleric of Tempus, paladin 1/cleric of Lathander, aasimar sorcerer as party face, human sorcerer as second caster, and drow rogue 1/conjurer X for thief skills and support. So far not too hard to keep the drow wizard current to the extent of his role, but yeah compared to BG2 scrolls are super rare.

I was tempted to slot in a druid, bard and/or monk but for my first time I'm going to go with the more basic classes.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Kenny Logins posted:

I've mentioned it in this thread a while ago (so apologies for repeating) I'm using a fighter 4/barbarian X, axe-cleric of Tempus, paladin 1/cleric of Lathander, aasimar sorcerer as party face, human sorcerer as second caster, and drow rogue 1/conjurer X for thief skills and support. So far not too hard to keep the drow wizard current to the extent of his role, but yeah compared to BG2 scrolls are super rare.

I was tempted to slot in a druid, bard and/or monk but for my first time I'm going to go with the more basic classes.

My standard was always a drow rogue 1/bard X. A bard can capably fill in for a pure rogue with one level in it, plus (s)he offers arcane support that does not require scroll use. Mind you, with the blasted Level Adjustment, you have to wait longer to get the really good songs. I think that there is a mod out there to remove ECL, but people tell me that high ECL equals more experience and, in the long term, more levels. I am frankly somewhat sceptical.

Lathander was also my favourite cleric deity as well. I love the juxtaposition between extra healing spells and fire spells, some of which bear a striking resemblance to a small tactical nuclear strike. Don't count out druids, though - they get an excellent blend of healing, support, and damaging spells. Being able to summon 4 huge elementals and then turn into another huge elemental is more fun than several barrels of especially whimsical monkeys.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 26, 2021

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I think that there is a mod out there to remove ECL, but people tell me that high ECL equals more experience and, in the long term, more levels. I am frankly somewhat sceptical.
I think the jig is that (high) ECL doesn't matter too much in the long run because the cap on character growth is your level number, not the experience total (like in other IE games).

So, a drow can hit level 30 just as a regular elf, it just takes them a fair bit longer. But in the end you have the same level 30 [whatever] but with all the attendant benefits of being drow - particularly a level-scaled spell resistance.

I'm not really doing the mod thing currently due to the GOG version being a self-contained emulated wrap (and I don't want the headache) but if I were to mod, I'd do the one that makes all the chests forceable and strips all the traps out, making rogue levels unnecessary altogether. Not like they give even a token amount of XP, anymore.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Kenny Logins posted:

I think the jig is that (high) ECL doesn't matter too much in the long run because the cap on character growth is your level number, not the experience total (like in other IE games).

So, a drow can hit level 30 just as a regular elf, it just takes them a fair bit longer. But in the end you have the same level 30 [whatever] but with all the attendant benefits of being drow - particularly a level-scaled spell resistance.

I'm not really doing the mod thing currently due to the GOG version being a self-contained emulated wrap (and I don't want the headache) but if I were to mod, I'd do the one that makes all the chests forceable and strips all the traps out, making rogue levels unnecessary altogether. Not like they give even a token amount of XP, anymore.

Well, hitting max level basically requires playing through Heart of Fury mode, which I tried for just a few minutes before I realised that it was ridiculous. Nevertheless, I see your point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The other advantage of ECL races is it keeps your average level down, which affects how much experience you get from combat.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I was doing a fighter/mage/thief solo run and hit 8 million xp around midway through underdark and kept going because obviously I removed the cap. After I got back I killed all the main liches without any resting in between them and even kangaxx demilich form died easily to a simulacrum using a scroll of timestop followed by 2 rounds of greater whirlwind. His first form died instantly to a bunch of thief traps. How do I stop myself from power gaming and enjoy the story again?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

So I was doing a fighter/mage/thief solo run and hit 8 million xp around midway through underdark and kept going because obviously I removed the cap. After I got back I killed all the main liches without any resting in between them and even kangaxx demilich form died easily to a simulacrum using a scroll of timestop followed by 2 rounds of greater whirlwind. His first form died instantly to a bunch of thief traps. How do I stop myself from power gaming and enjoy the story again?

Don't solo as a f/m/t with the level cap removed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Choose "bad" classes if you like to solo. Some of them have very interesting High Level potential.