Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ohtsam posted:

It feels like nobody that has homepass set up has streetpass enabled for xenoblade, despite me seeing a ton of people playing it. :(
How far do you have to get to activate it? I haven't seen any option or tutorial about it yet, I just got Sharla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's not a pretty game but it's not nearly that bad what the heck.

It's really, really ugly in an "xbox game haphazardly ported to the PS2" kind of way. I'm still running around the first area (just got to the cave) and it's actually pretty hard to discern the enemies from the background sometimes because they all just kind of blend together in a low res brown-ish mess.

I'm not sure why they couldn't at least get the UI elements in native res, they did put in the work to create new pieces of it for the 3DS after all. Functionally the game's all there, though, so kudos to the devs for that.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

greatn posted:

How far do you have to get to activate it? I haven't seen any option or tutorial about it yet, I just got Sharla.

Just go to the collections option in the main menu and go to manage streetpass.

I think the big problem is the game doesn't ever ask you to enable it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I am up to chapter 12 in Codename STEAM and I really loving the game a lot. It has a slow start, but once you get better squadmates like Tinman or Fox it gets a lot easier. Especially pairing those two up and watching as every enemy on the map gets sniped while Tinman refills her steam so she can go into overwatch and do more sniping.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Rirse posted:

I am up to chapter 12 in Codename STEAM and I really loving the game a lot. It has a slow start, but once you get better squadmates like Tinman or Fox it gets a lot easier. Especially pairing those two up and watching as every enemy on the map gets sniped while Tinman refills her steam so she can go into overwatch and do more sniping.

I'm not sure whether or not you're supposed to play aggressively or defensively in that game.

You can't play too defensively because then the game starts summoning more enemies, the more turns you take, but then you can't play too aggressively either, because enemies in Overwatch mode will punish you for going in.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

noirstronaut posted:

Your answer is basically "well, there's stuff in it" but I'm trying to find out why it looks horrible graphically alone. Did cramming everything they needed to on the game mean the game had to look horrible in the process? If that were the case, why didn't we see something that was multiple releases or hell, being Nintendo, multiple cartridges.

It's not a size issue, it's the fact that there's only so much hardware to work with on the 3DS; you're limited to a small amount of RAM so textures are going to be muddy and lower res but on the small screen and tiny resolution it doesn't really matter. You're comparing Majora's Mask, a game that came out on 20 year old hardware, to a game that came out on a last generation console and requires the more powerful 3DS model to even run it. Do you get it now?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ohtsam posted:

Just go to the collections option in the main menu and go to manage streetpass.

I think the big problem is the game doesn't ever ask you to enable it.

Ah thanks. Geez with the ten to start I've already unlocked half the things. Is it one coin per streetpass? I'd only need 24 streetpasses to finish.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

General Morden posted:

I'm not sure whether or not you're supposed to play aggressively or defensively in that game.

You can't play too defensively because then the game starts summoning more enemies, the more turns you take, but then you can't play too aggressively either, because enemies in Overwatch mode will punish you for going in.

Yeah playing too defensively doesn't work, as I did that on a earlier map and just ended up distracting the enemies and bum rushing the exit. Since I got Tinman (who weapon refills steam on other characters), I tend to play more aggressive, pushing my way through while parking Fox in overwatch since her sniper rifle is cheaper on enemy turns.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Guys Minecraft looks like poo poo and nothing in it looks as good as pacman. If only the art direction was strong and the environment melded with the soundtrack like a krazy glue.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Junkie Disease posted:

Guys Minecraft looks like poo poo and nothing in it looks as good as pacman. If only the art direction was strong and the environment melded with the soundtrack like a krazy glue.

paceman on an snes probably does look better than mine craft

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
9.7 is out. Added stability.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

Xenoblade looks pretty bad in cutscenes and if you stand still and look around, but it looks fine if you're moving and aren't paying too much attention.

I keep the zoom out pretty far so I can see more things at once. Maybe that takes some of the edge off. I am also not a whiny baby, which helps too.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Why doesn't someone make a Xenoblade thread

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Noirstronaut make a xenoblade complaining thread and post in it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pokemon Shuffle and now Rumble World? Nintendo really wants to prevent me from finishing games I actually paid money for, huh? :\

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

greatn posted:

Ah thanks. Geez with the ten to start I've already unlocked half the things. Is it one coin per streetpass? I'd only need 24 streetpasses to finish.

New models and tracks are made available as you progress and they appear in the game itself. When you're done, there are 102 models and 91 music tracks to collect.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'd better walk over to the Wal-Mart and get a Shulk Amiibo then.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
What I don't get is why they didn't shove the UI for Xenoblade on the bottom screen. At the least it'd let them free up the screen so there's less clutter and just... poo poo all over it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's weird cause the bottom screen has a ton of empty space too.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
How does the 10 Mii limit for StreetPass Plaza work? Is it 10 and you have to clear them out before you get any more, or is it it'll only let you take 10 in and then when you exit and go back in you'll have the next set? I wanna know before I leave HomePass running overnight since my desktop really heats my bedroom up when its running.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

How does the 10 Mii limit for StreetPass Plaza work? Is it 10 and you have to clear them out before you get any more, or is it it'll only let you take 10 in and then when you exit and go back in you'll have the next set? I wanna know before I leave HomePass running overnight since my desktop really heats my bedroom up when its running.

You have to take in the Miis before it will streetpass any more. You can have to ready to play in the plaza and 10 outside the gate.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

African AIDS cum posted:

Why doesn't someone make a Xenoblade thread

There's been a Xenoblade thread ever since the game came out in NA. The Xenoblade X thread is what's currently used for discussing both games.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642673

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fuzz posted:

What I don't get is why they didn't shove the UI for Xenoblade on the bottom screen. At the least it'd let them free up the screen so there's less clutter and just... poo poo all over it.

The port wasn't done by Monolith Soft, the guys who originally made the game, it was done by Monster Games, who also did the Donkey Kong Country Returns port. So either they didn't have the inner workings of the engine figured out or they were scared of breaking stuff if they did anything too drastic.

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides

precision posted:

Pokemon Shuffle and now Rumble World? Nintendo really wants to prevent me from finishing games I actually paid money for, huh? :\

Rumble World is fun for about an hour, it just doesn't have the weird addiction factor that Shuffle has.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jadaris posted:

Rumble World is fun for about an hour, it just doesn't have the weird addiction factor that Shuffle has.

I dunno I've played it for more than an hour and it seems addictive enough. It's like an adorable Dynasty Warriors.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fuzz posted:

What really kills me is that the UI elements like arrows and enemy placards that relate to objects in the environment are drawn on the screen with no depth, as near to you as possible, which means I need to refocus my eyes to go from an enemy to its HP and buffs. And when there are a bunch of enemies, I need to draw a line in my mind from the screen into the environment to figure out which enemy I have targeted. I assume drawing these elements nearer in depth to their related objects wasn't something they could hack in, but it's a case where a little bit of love would have gone a long way in making the game more playable.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I've just started playing Fire Emblem Awakening, my first FE game.

What should I know to make things run smoothly for me?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Any recs for 3ds club nintendo games? I have Kid Icarus and SM3DL and Zelda.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

acksplode posted:

What really kills me is that the UI elements like arrows and enemy placards that relate to objects in the environment are drawn on the screen with no depth, as near to you as possible, which means I need to refocus my eyes to go from an enemy to its HP and buffs. And when there are a bunch of enemies, I need to draw a line in my mind from the screen into the environment to figure out which enemy I have targeted. I assume drawing these elements nearer in depth to their related objects wasn't something they could hack in, but it's a case where a little bit of love would have gone a long way in making the game more playable.

Turn off the 3d. regardless of those issues it sucks rear end and doesn't do anything for the game.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

hadji murad posted:

Don't miss units. If someone has a unique portrait, they're either a boss or you need to talk to them to recruit them.

Also if you're playing on Classic don't let people die but that goes without saying

Also I guess don't rely on Frederick too much? He'll suck up experience that your other units will need more.

Edit: Oh and abuse Pair Up. And make everyone kiss

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hadji murad posted:

Pair Up is an overpowered mechanic
Use your first Second Seal on Donny ASAP
Non-boss characters with unique portraits can generally be recruited by Chrom, regardless of whose side they're initially on

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I think noirstronaut is an alt account for stux.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Don't use Second Seals too much if you want the game's difficulty curve to stay relatively smooth.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Had my N3DSXL for a week now. MH4U is good, Mario Land is good, Rune Factory 4 is good, Xenoblade is good. I haven't even opened Etrian Mystery Dungeon but I bet it's good.

3DS - it's good!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Static Rook posted:

Had my N3DSXL for a week now. MH4U is good, Mario Land is good, Rune Factory 4 is good, Xenoblade is good. I haven't even opened Etrian Mystery Dungeon but I bet it's good.

3DS - it's good!

I just bought one myself and I am unimpressed. The games are great and the 3d is cool now instead of some awkward gimmick, but i hate the thumbstick and that weird pressure nub quite a lot.

theatrythm is the coolest poo poo though so I don't even care.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 21, 2015

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yeah, I can't get streetpass relay to work anymore and I can't figure out why.

It worked yesterday fine, but now for whatever reason I can't change the mac address on the hardware the guide recommended. :sigh:

I was so excited too, I was getting a streetpass every few seconds with this.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
FWIW I could never get the streetpass relay to work correctly on my pc but fortunately had a spare Raspberry Pi lying around, so after using the spillpass setup (http://www.spillmonkey.com/?page_id=5) i'm gettting a full hit of streetpasses every couple of minutes.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Party Meiser posted:

I think noirstronaut is an alt account for stux.

This can't be true, because sometimes noirstronaut is tolerable.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

tithin posted:

Yeah, I can't get streetpass relay to work anymore and I can't figure out why.

It worked yesterday fine, but now for whatever reason I can't change the mac address on the hardware the guide recommended. :sigh:

I was so excited too, I was getting a streetpass every few seconds with this.

This happened to me too. It worked great for a few hours and then just suddenly stopped and no amount of fiddling would get it to work again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Puddin posted:

FWIW I could never get the streetpass relay to work correctly on my pc but fortunately had a spare Raspberry Pi lying around, so after using the spillpass setup (http://www.spillmonkey.com/?page_id=5) i'm gettting a full hit of streetpasses every couple of minutes.

I really don't feel like dropping anymore time or coin on this, I was really enjoying having the ability to complete these jigsaws and poo poo without having to wander around the city during my lunch break :sigh: