Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tae posted:

Shinkenger had the most reason to make it red centric (Lord and his 4 vassals) but the rest of the crew including his "father-figure" were evenly developed throughout the show.

Shinkenger also made it more palatable by making Takeru an interesting and complex character.

Takaharu is...not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Some Numbers posted:

Shinkenger also made it more palatable by making Takeru an interesting and complex character.

Takaharu is...not.

Also Takeru was never better just because 'well he's the Red and he's a genius'

He trained harder then everyone else; even his Blue, who had a full on military schedule including 4 hours of sleep to train as much as possible couldn't keep up with Takeru's effort.

EDIT: Actually there's a perfect example of this that happened around the same episode between the two series.

When Takeru couldn't control the Beetle Disk for the team finisher, he took the disk and went to train. He trained all night and well into the day, alone, until his fingers were bleeding, to master the Disk, and when he did his hard work was rewarded and the team could do the group finisher.

When Takaharu couldn't master the Duplication technique, he escaped from the house, ran into battle, and mastered it mid-combat as he was being exploded.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 20, 2015

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Flameingblack posted:

TV-N doesn't understand the concept of tone and translating for an audience. You don't go to a movie with professional translations in it and find a bunch of inane poo poo and TL notes. Not everyone wants to learn Japanese, and TVN isn't even good at translating to begin with.

TVN seems really dead-set on translating everything as literally as possible and that's actively harmful to good translation, it's why you get really weird and off-putting sounding stuff like their Heartcatch translation of Blossom's catch phrase as "My bag of tolerance has snapped!"

Flameingblack posted:

Red has always been the leader and leading role of every single series for decades, it's like that for every single one of them.

Wasn't White the leader in Kakuranger? I've never seen the series but I've heard that, and I'm sure that Red was still the leading role and the most important of the group, but it would be a difference.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Twelve by Pies posted:

TVN seems really dead-set on translating everything as literally as possible and that's actively harmful to good translation, it's why you get really weird and off-putting sounding stuff like their Heartcatch translation of Blossom's catch phrase as "My bag of tolerance has snapped!"

Wasn't White the leader in Kakuranger? I've never seen the series but I've heard that, and I'm sure that Red was still the leading role and the most important of the group, but it would be a difference.

White in Kakuranger, Pink in Timeranger and technically, Yellow in Gekiranger.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Flameingblack posted:

I don't know why there's a shocker that most Sentai revolves around red. Red has always been the leader and leading role of every single series for decades, it's like that for every single one of them.

I suspect that its a lot of people who got onboard around Goonger/Shinkenger/Goseiger/Gokaiger/Gobusters. Thats four series in five years that weren't really red-centric. Seeing a return to red getting most of the heavy lifting these past three seasons would be a bit of a shock to those people then (including me, to an extent.)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Twelve by Pies posted:

Haha I had forgotten about the Bag of Tolerance :allears:
Would it have been that hard to just do "I've had it up to here with you!"?

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Twelve by Pies posted:

Along with the previous examples, MagiRed wasn't the real person holding the family together. He lead them into combat situations sure, but Yellow (or was it green) was the eldest and pretty much did that part of the heavy lifting until the parents were back.

If you want to go to really old, Big One in JAKQ led while Spade Ace was just a combat dude. This is a fairly common formula for team dynamic in the franchise.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Yosuke posted:

Along with the previous examples, MagiRed wasn't the real person holding the family together. He lead them into combat situations sure, but Yellow (or was it green) was the eldest and pretty much did that part of the heavy lifting until the parents were back.
Wasn't MagiBlue the one holding the family together? If I'm remembering right, everyone else on the team was constantly commenting how like their mother she was.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Dexie posted:

Wasn't MagiBlue the one holding the family together? If I'm remembering right, everyone else on the team was constantly commenting how like their mother she was.

I don't really remember, it's been a while. I just remember that they had the whole "Red is the youngest but does best hitting dudes" and the eldest family member was all about being the leader otherwise.

e: Blue was the motherly one, but it was apparently Green whose character arcs were largely "Keeping the family together".

Yosuke fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 21, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm not going to say "Shinkenger is the best sentai series", that's just a good way to start a fight.

But it's a drat fine one, now that we've got a translation that doesn't suck. (Even if it IS still in-progress.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Maskman is the only Sentai I can think of where the Red love goes so far as to utterly ignore the other characters. Early on in Maskman, you could very easily just edit out the other heroes and make it a quasi Metal Hero series without much trouble.

The other Maskmen don't even get names or INTRODUCED in the first episode- they show up in a minor cameo as a pit crew, then show up morphed, then show up at the end and you have no idea who the hell these people are if you didn't memorize the faces of the split second cameo they got at the start. There isn't even a "Danger, we must go!" moment for them. One second they're fixing up Red's car, then the plot happens, then more plot, then they're already morphed fighting.

Yet it still has some down right badass moments, including the best Pink Ranger focus episode ever, where she takes on a metal monster hand to hand without morphing and beats it to death despite getting torn to shreds, because she wanted to teach a lesson to her students.

So to hear that a present Sentai is not only so Red centric, but also shoving him INTO the others episodes...that just sounds like bad writing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What are the odds on GUIS ever finishing Bioman or otherwise releasing something ever again

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

What are the odds on GUIS ever finishing Bioman or otherwise releasing something ever again

I want to say Decent Enough since Stronger finally got finished, but I don't know the deal with the people behind GUIS so maybe something is going on that's more serious than just life.

I wish I knew

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Kamen Rider Chaser still looks weird.

His front piece just reminds me of a Baseball Umpire too much for my tastes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Stallion Cabana posted:

Kamen Rider Chaser still looks weird.

His front piece just reminds me of a Baseball Umpire too much for my tastes.
I see what they're going for, though. That sort of heavily-padded racing uniform look.

The walk/don't walk axe reminds me of the Medagabryu.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
oh good garo is getting subs before the infinitely more watchable and appealing drive. sure, i didn't want to watch it monday night or anything like that.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

oh good garo is getting subs before the infinitely more watchable and appealing drive. sure, i didn't want to watch it monday night or anything like that.

I think different teams are working on those projects; the Garo team just seems to be faster.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Oh no doubt, I'm just being a big whiny internet baby. :)

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

why is everyone being so mean to garo :<

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rei_ posted:

Because the last Ryuga series was bad, and this current Ryuga series has done little to prove itself better.

I really like Garo, but after The One Who Shines in the Darkness, you can't blame anyone for not having the highest of hopes for Goldstorm, even moreso since its two episodes haven't exactly been awe-inspiring. Even more when both Makai no Hana and the anime were really good, and more of that would be far, far more appreciated than another Ryuga series.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rei_ posted:

Well the first episode of this season had Rian remain a terrible actress, the return of Dickado's actor which is hilarious or awful depending on how you feel, the armor neglected yet again, the enemies done almost entirely in CGI again, and it's a follow up to a season not many people liked.

Ryuga's actor is improving though.

Quick questions about that first episode, by the by- why the hell would a Horror, or half of one as it turned out, go into a super obvious Makai trap like she did?

And why did it seem like a good idea to bind the twin horrors together instead of keeping them separate and thus lessening their power when they realized that was their gimmick before whipping out the binding stuff?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Haha I had forgotten about the Bag of Tolerance :allears:
Would it have been that hard to just do "I've had it up to here with you!"?

When Magenta was translating at first, he translated it as "I'm not going to put up with it!" which gets the message across and sounds fine in English. When takenoko took over apparently he didn't care for that and switched to the literally translated line, it was definitely a shock when I was watching the first non-Magenta episode and that came up.

I don't know if I was still hanging out on the TVN forums when the change happened, so I'm not sure if anyone mentioned the change in the line's translation but I assume the response was the usual "It's a Japanese expression and to not translate it literally would be cultural whitewashing."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I wonder if anyone ever tried explaining to them that anyone who comprehends all of these Japanese idioms and phrases (and sometimes just untranslated words) probably isn't in need of a fansub in the first place. :v:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'll always fondly remember the day I had to pause the episode of Go-Onger I was watching and google "tachi" because I had no clue what it meant and it would apparently be some sort of sin against Japan and toku to just write "and the others" in the subtitles.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'll always fondly remember the day I had to pause the episode of Go-Onger I was watching and google "tachi" because I had no clue what it meant and it would apparently be some sort of sin against Japan and toku to just write "and the others" in the subtitles.

IIRC their Magiranger had a lot of those, too, along the lines of nii-san-tachi. Like, on the one hand, I understand that that's more specific than "you guys." On the other hand, English doesn't really ever get more specific with a group of familiar individuals than "you guys", so it's moot because you're translating to English!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That's not entirely true. "The usual suspects", "my dear friends" for the especially formal (Utsuwhatshisface from Kyoryuger for example?), "X, everyone", there's a few ways to make it work depending on the speaker and what they're saying.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Poison Mushroom posted:

That's not entirely true. "The usual suspects", "my dear friends" for the especially formal (Utsuwhatshisface from Kyoryuger for example?), "X, everyone", there's a few ways to make it work depending on the speaker and what they're saying.

Well, right, but I'm talking about how "Let's go, my various older siblings!" is not a sentence that anybody would utter unironically in English.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Latest episode of Nin2 is up and while Takaharu still gets a bit of focus, it's because of his status as a sibling. He also doesn't get to lead the charge into the full team fight or perform the mecha finisher. However, White's character seems to have bounced between two different personalities this ep.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

deadly_pudding posted:

IIRC their Magiranger had a lot of those, too, along the lines of nii-san-tachi. Like, on the one hand, I understand that that's more specific than "you guys." On the other hand, English doesn't really ever get more specific with a group of familiar individuals than "you guys", so it's moot because you're translating to English!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Was that the joke one?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Poison Mushroom posted:

Was that the joke one?

No that is an actual sceenshot of their subs for Magiranger. They're pretty bad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cernunnos posted:

No that is an actual sceenshot of their subs for Magiranger. They're pretty bad.
It's worse than I thought.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's worse than I thought.

It really is.

Thatkfully someone's doing good subs of the show.

That last one is also why their Gekiranger subs are so bad.

I just want to watch Gekiranger :smith:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Cernunnos posted:

I just want to watch Gekiranger :smith:

The group that scrubbed Gekiranger, is the dialog incorrect or is it just the terminology that's busted?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I have found a new calling.

Every week I will post a picture of Ninja Dad's fantastic sweater vest game.

EDIT: Also I watched Gekiranger on Crunchy Roll and it was p. okay. It was also free to watch but it might not be anymore?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr Tran posted:

The group that scrubbed Gekiranger, is the dialog incorrect or is it just the terminology that's busted?

I wanna say those scrubs were still poo poo. I might be miss-remembering.

I've seen Gekiranger before but I'd love to see it with actually good subs.

It's really weird (it probably isn't actually) that I fell into watching all this stuff because of TVN subs, then I drifted off because college exploded on me, and then I found this thread and subsequently Over-Time and now I can't go back because holy crap is TVN awful. I just never noticed because of the several years i spent in high-school reading mediocre/bad scanlations (never again).

I would gladly wait weeks past air-date for OT subs, if it came to that, than drag myself back to TVN out of desperation.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Stallion Cabana posted:

EDIT: Also I watched Gekiranger on Crunchy Roll and it was p. okay. It was also free to watch but it might not be anymore?

Crunchyroll used to stream fansubs that randos uploaded. It has never been available in legit English.

Dr Tran posted:

The dialog is just as bad as, if not worse than the tvn original, because the people editing it didn't know what they were doing as they "fixed" it.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I'm noticing some minor errors in the translation for Drive this week; mostly just in like single words.

Wonder what's up with that; they're so good that even a tiny mistake like a missing word stands out as super weird.

EDIT: Regardless of that the Kamen Rider Chase fight is really good. So good.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 22, 2015

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

It's really weird (it probably isn't actually) that I fell into watching all this stuff because of TVN subs, then I drifted off because college exploded on me, and then I found this thread and subsequently Over-Time and now I can't go back because holy crap is TVN awful. I just never noticed because of the several years i spent in high-school reading mediocre/bad scanlations (never again).

Yeah it's a similar situation for me. I complain about their subs but I can't give them too much poo poo because I wouldn't be in this fandom if I hadn't found them, and I still appreciate that they've subbed shows that haven't been subbed by anyone else, at least not yet (a lot of the Heisei Rider series, Sentai series before Gokaiger, and Rescue Force/Fire). I honestly don't mind their fancy subtitling effects and while I know it's a huge issue for a lot of people, I don't care that they hardsub. Plus the idea of color coding the subs for the suit fights is not bad for hearing impaired people. I just wish they did better translating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

They could exist alongside Over-TIme quite comfortably, if their translation quality was better. TVN for when you don't mind watching the series a little bit after release, or it's an older series, and you want fancy effects. OT for when you want soft subs, an easier-to-read translation, to watch a show as it's coming out, or all of the above.

I could even forgive the "TVN are the ones who leave on honorifics and such", if they had any quality anywhere else.

• Locked thread