Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Zonekeeper posted:

I think most people who disliked the game just got to 30 random fruit on each one and left it at that, which is insultingly easy and not very satisfying.

There's that, if you just eat every fruit you see then the levels are only going to be about five minutes long, but I think the bigger issue was only being able to play one level from each world, and only being able to play the levels you've unlocked by either beating the game or starting a new one. It's a weird and in my opinion bad choice of game design, it would have been a lot better if they'd just taken out the "unlocking levels" bit and had you play all four levels in each world. I definitely remember getting to the final world and beating Bowser and going "Wait that's it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Any recs for Wii U club nintendo games? I have the Earthbound and SMW and W101 and the Zeldas already.

I've considered SM64, SM3, Yoshi's Island and Paper Mario. Can't really make up my mind.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

There's that, if you just eat every fruit you see then the levels are only going to be about five minutes long, but I think the bigger issue was only being able to play one level from each world, and only being able to play the levels you've unlocked by either beating the game or starting a new one. It's a weird and in my opinion bad choice of game design, it would have been a lot better if they'd just taken out the "unlocking levels" bit and had you play all four levels in each world. I definitely remember getting to the final world and beating Bowser and going "Wait that's it?"

Yoshi's Story felt to me like they were trying to make a platformer version of Star Fox 64

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Any recs for Wii U club nintendo games? I have the Earthbound and SMW and W101 and the Zeldas already.

I've considered SM64, SM3, Yoshi's Island and Paper Mario. Can't really make up my mind.

Paper Mario is super good. There's a Wii U VC version coming out soon-ish and if you get the Wii VC one you can upgrade it for $2 iirc

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

majormonotone posted:

Paper Mario is super good. There's a Wii U VC version coming out soon-ish and if you get the Wii VC one you can upgrade it for $2 iirc

i did this with super mario 64. thanks club nintendo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

majormonotone posted:

Oh excellent, I didnt know that was up next :peanut:. Though I think it should've been Sin and Punishment instead, in order to accompany the Wii sequel.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My friend was a huge Nintendo fanboy and looking forward to Yoshi's story more than anything. After he got it he sold his N64 and bought a PlayStation within a week.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh excellent, I didnt know that was up next :peanut:. Though I think it should've been Sin and Punishment instead, in order to accompany the Wii sequel.

Allegedly Paper Mario comes out on the 30th, this week is Mario Kart DS (for some reason).

Sin and Punishment would be rad though. I love that game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

majormonotone posted:

Allegedly Paper Mario comes out on the 30th, this week is Mario Kart DS (for some reason).

Sin and Punishment would be rad though. I love that game

Mario Kart DS isnt really worth porting, to be honest. You have no multiplayer, and all of the best tracks are gonna end up in Retro Cups at some point anyway.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mario Kart DS has lots of single-player poo poo that people always point to when they wanna complain about the newer games.

PAL-land is getting Sin & Punishment 2 next week, no idea when NA's getting it or why both territories can't get the same games on the same day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Mario Kart DS has lots of single-player poo poo that people always point to when they wanna complain about the newer games.

PAL-land is getting Sin & Punishment 2 next week, no idea when NA's getting it or why both territories can't get the same games on the same day.

Oh yeah, MKDS is the one that had the missions isn't it? It's a shame they've never done anything with those since.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Not quite on topic, but I thought I'd ask here given the NSMB chat that's been bouncing around.

The only NSMB game I've played is NSMBU and I had a lovely time. I've recently got a 3DS and I'm looking for a fun platformer. Is NSMB2 really as dreadful as it's been painted over the last few pages? Will the amount that it sucks be diminished if I've not been burnt out by the series? I've found it for about £14 online and feel like I should give it a crack.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Flint_Paper posted:

The only NSMB game I've played is NSMBU and I had a lovely time. I've recently got a 3DS and I'm looking for a fun platformer. Is NSMB2 really as dreadful as it's been painted over the last few pages? Will the amount that it sucks be diminished if I've not been burnt out by the series? I've found it for about £14 online and feel like I should give it a crack.
For £14 do play it. Most of the issues with it were really the awful star coin hiding spots.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Just got a pro controller and holy wow does this make Mario Kart feel right.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is fine, if unmemorable. It will scratch the Mario platformer itch for a couple days, at least.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
NSMB 2 isn't a bad game per se

It's just that people felt like it was a low-effort more-of-the-same title and that it doesn't have any unique charm. Taken entirely on its own it's a decent platformer worth playing if you like mario-type games.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

If you don't have it yet get Kirby Triple Deluxe. I found it a lot more fun then NSMB2.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

32GB console with Splatoon (download code) and Nintendo Land (pre-installed), Best Buy-exclusive, $300. You'd think they could have thrown in an Amiibo or something.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

They didn't even slather it with with splotches of neon paint like a school child's binder in the 90's.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

32GB console with Splatoon (download code) and Nintendo Land (pre-installed), Best Buy-exclusive, $300. You'd think they could have thrown in an Amiibo or something.

Wow, Nintendo really is banking on this game - and it isn't even a part of an established IP.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Missed opportunity to have a WiiU that looks like it's covered in multi-colored paint

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
We got paint reaped.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

*insert taint reaping joke here*

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Missed opportunity to have a WiiU that looks like it's covered in multi-colored paint

You can always get some paint and do it yourself.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

codenameFANGIO posted:

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is fine, if unmemorable. It will scratch the Mario platformer itch for a couple days, at least.

This how people describe the new sonic games.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm going to probably wind up getting it but kinda finding it bizarre how much faith they have in a honestly mediocre looking game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's a new IP and it's being sold on the WiiU, which is already a recipe for disaster. I'm pretty sure they're pushing it hard just so it won't bomb, even though it probably will in the end.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So changing the box on the wiiu and packing it inside is somehow foolish? Did cardboard skyrocket? I don't think they expect it to do anything crazy with sales but its pretty cheap to prep like they saw it coming.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Flint_Paper posted:

Not quite on topic, but I thought I'd ask here given the NSMB chat that's been bouncing around.

Get Mario 3D Land instead. It's fantastic.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm going to probably wind up getting it but kinda finding it bizarre how much faith they have in a honestly mediocre looking game.

Are we looking at the same game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-zp4AItUYo

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The bundle makes perfect sense considering the game's target audience; it's a simple all-in-one package that kids can nag their parents to get for them once the TV commercials roll out. But the Best Buy exclusive seems weird as opposed to someplace like Toys R Us.

Also they didn't make the system itself a different colour because it would be more costly to alter current stock that they probably have a bit of an excess of. The fact that Nintendoland is pre-installed and Splatoon isn't probably indicates that these units are repackaged from a past SKU.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 21, 2015

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Splatoon looks pretty rad tbh

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
With all the people somehow convinced Splatoon doesn't have a game inside of it you can see why Nintendo doesn't try to create new IPs very often I guess. This new game developed in-house by Nintendo is going to be so bad and bland because that's what Nintendo is known for of course

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

So changing the box on the wiiu and packing it inside is somehow foolish? Did cardboard skyrocket? I don't think they expect it to do anything crazy with sales but its pretty cheap to prep like they saw it coming.

I think it's more that people are griping because if you look at the current schedule of games, it's pretty much the only Wii U game for the second quarter (which makes sense why Nintendo is pushing it so hard).

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Macaluso posted:

It was this, which I didn't even consider doing since nothing else was having a problem. Now it works perfectly fine. :psyduck: :confused:

IT monkey here: your home router is a barely functional thing that typically lacks RAM. They frequently do this little thing where 9 devices work but 1 simply can't talk to the router for some reason, which you already found the solution for. When in doubt reboot your wireless router!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Fremry posted:

I think it's more that people are griping because if you look at the current schedule of games, it's pretty much the only Wii U game for the second quarter (which makes sense why Nintendo is pushing it so hard).

Well its working at least 4 of my rl pals are getting it and it should tide us over with all the dlc kart and smash be gettin.
The mystery I want to solve is what the gently caress is Retro doing? Its a big project they haven't even whispered about at the last 3 E3s.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

where can i purchase the orangey inkling girl? i want to know where the orangey inkling girl is for order.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

Well its working at least 4 of my rl pals are getting it and it should tide us over with all the dlc kart and smash be gettin.
The mystery I want to solve is what the gently caress is Retro doing? Its a big project they haven't even whispered about at the last 3 E3s.

Hopefully we'll see something at this year's E3. I got a PS4 free (as a work incentive type thing), so I'm kinda chomping at the bit to see what's in both the Wii U and PS4's future.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Probably isn't the best video to post if that's supposed to make me think it's anything but mediocre looking. Like it looks like it'll be fun for a small bit but would die out fast even if it did sell like hotcakes. It just doesn't look like it has any real depth which... it's a game aimed for a younger demographic for sure, but even then- all the person did in the video was just spawn, jump to the middle, walk in a circle, die, repeat.

I think Splatzone in general is terrible though to be honest as it doesn't look like the zone moves at all. They give the player a handful of travel options and none of them are useful in that mode from the videos I've seen.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Anime Curator posted:

where can i purchase the orangey inkling girl? i want to know where the orangey inkling girl is for order.

they pop in and out here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think Splatoon looks like an ok game that's getting a lot of hype solely because it's on a system starved for its genre. It'll probably get a cult following and if it turns out to actually be great I'll happily pick it up.

• Locked thread