Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

perhaps you're worried about someone skimming your credit card info and spending $20 at a merchant in your town and then never using the card again, thus making it likely you wouldn't ever notice the transaction except your write them all down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

perhaps you're worried about someone skimming your credit card info and spending $20 at a merchant in your town and then never using the card again, thus making it likely you wouldn't ever notice the transaction except your write them all down

I don't write down credit card transactions, I already said that.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

you should really take the next step, maybe the bank's website is lying to you

you should go into the local branch and hand them your ledger and ask them to make sure all of the numbers you have written total to the withdraws posted on your account

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
god you guys are getting tori'd the hell out of what the gently caress

the point is log into your drat bank and be aware of your money flow, not some arbitrary method applied to your situation but just keep a level of awareness of your ins and outs at the source of your cash, your actual liquidity accounts. why are you dolts arguing about writing down trips to 7/11 or wahtever that's stupid as hell.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

BiohazrD posted:

you should go into the local branch and hand them your ledger and ask them to make sure all of the numbers you have written total to the withdraws posted on your account

actually, you could probably save the time saddling your horse and going to the bank and just do it by telegraph

Apr 7, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

It's saved my rear end multiple times, most recently when my landlord never cashed a check I sent him and was likely going to claim I violated my lease by never paying him.

I have never in my life seen people who get militantly angry and swear at people for practicing basic life skills, lmao, ya'all are fuckin broken

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bitcoins solved all of these problems years ago

Apr 7, 2003

"Wipe your rear end? Are you a loving idiot? If you wait long enough it crusts up and falls off by itself"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Citizen Tayne posted:

"Wipe your rear end? Are you a loving idiot? If you wait long enough it crusts up and falls off by itself"

lol

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's saved my rear end multiple times, most recently when my landlord never cashed a check I sent him and was likely going to claim I violated my lease by never paying him.

I have never in my life seen people who get militantly angry and swear at people for practicing basic life skills, lmao, ya'all are fuckin broken

thats really lucky of you, its a good thing you had written down that you wrote a check of a certain amount this would have certainly saved your rear end had the issue gone to court

Apr 7, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

thats really lucky of you, its a good thing you had written down that you wrote a check of a certain amount this would have certainly saved your rear end had the issue gone to court

it gave me a chance to call him on his dumb poo poo and write him another check, but lol keep digging that hole in defense of financial illiteracy and laziness.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

hello yes your honor you see i have right here proof that i wrote a check for rent

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

Citizen Tayne posted:

it gave me a chance to call him on his dumb poo poo and write him another check, but lol keep digging that hole in defense of financial illiteracy and laziness.

mishaq posted:

tori had a check bounce once in 1997 and the trauma still haunts him to this day

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

found another image of your financial documents

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
funny anroid

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i wrote a check once

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

money-saving tip:

write "gay sex" in the memo line on all checks unless it was actually for gay sex in which case write "water bill" or something boring

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

you can also mix it up with "incredibly gay sex" or "unfathomably gay sex"

if you're pledging to npr you should put "all wangs considered" or "a prairie homo companion"

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Citizen Tayne posted:

if you used automatic transfer then none of the poo poo you listed would have happened and you wouldn't have needed to write poo poo down you dumb nerd

Apr 7, 2003

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

if you used automatic transfer then none of the poo poo you listed would have happened and you wouldn't have needed to write poo poo down you dumb nerd

lol if you think automatic transfer is a thing here

double lol at the idea that you don't keep track of your money at all and trust your bank to do it

Keeping track of what's in your checking account is a basic life skill, and if you can't figure that out I really feel bad for you.

Apr 7, 2003

i am absolutely incensed that this guy keeps track of his money! I'm going to insult him personally for being a responsible adult!

lmfao

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

double lol at the idea that you don't keep track of your money at all and trust your bank to do it

exactly how much cash do you have under your mattress?

Apr 7, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

exactly how much cash do you have under your mattress?

Balancing a checkbook is a basic life skill and making an argument to absurdity doesn't make you look any less dumb. lmao

Apr 7, 2003

I, too, am certainly going to trust the industry that has been fined over and over for loving with retail customer's money to tell me exactly what I have, and I certainly won't take the ten minutes per month it takes to double check and reconcile my records with my bank's records when I could spend that time playing video games.

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Citizen Tayne posted:

people lacking life skills?!

in the android thread??!!!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
the point Tori is making (badly) is to never assume that the balance shown on your bank website is how much money you have available to spend, because there are still a lot of places that can take a few days (or more) to actually post transactions, and some lovely banks (hello Wells Fargo) can then take another day or two to actually reflect the transaction on your account balance.

so yes, you should keep an approximate running total of how much money you have in the bank that's more than just "look at what chase.com says", but that doesn't mean you need to slavishly write down every small transaction.

more than once Wells Fargo has shown a temporary deduction on my account for a transaction that was authorized but hadn't been posted yet, only to then clear the temporary deduction so it appeared I had more money available, then withdraw the money the next day. a more forgetful person could've easily been misled into thinking they had more money and, if they were living paycheck to paycheck, thought they had enough money to fill up their car and then WHOOPS now they're overdrawn.

so you don't need to micromanage every penny (unless you're living paycheck to paycheck) but you'd drat well better have at least a ballpark idea of how much money you should have in the bank, to prevent surprises.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
but it's a bigger deal for tori since he still mails paper checks, so when he checks his account balance on localcreditunion.org he has to have a way to remember that there's a check for the rent in flight and to subtract it from the displayed balance.

so he writes it down in his checkbook ledger, like a grandpa.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

wow. just got back and caught up with this thread. what do we have? tori has some kind of post traumatic poor disorder and the usual fan club bending over backwards to paint it as either a "tori'ing" or "tori is totally not broken and sperging out about how mature he is doe the millionth time like some try hard tween". cool. wonder what I missed on iplayer

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol. gas

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

shitface posted:

tori has some kind of post traumatic poor disorder
post poordom depression

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
:gas: this shameful display

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

pram posted:

lol. gas

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...rmware-updates/

quote:

When we buy gadgets, it's usually with the expectation that their useful lifetime will carry us at least until we're ready to replace them, and hopefully well beyond. Most people assume their smartphones should last at least two years, in part because contract customers in the US are accustomed to unreasonably high upgrade prices for mid-term upgrades, and also because most manufacturers have adopted yearly release cycles that fit well with this pace. The expectations for tablets aren't as well defined, but most customers seem to want about 3 years or so. Even when we're done with a device, we want to be the ones to end the relationship, rather than wake up and find our hardware dead beyond hope. Unfortunately, recent reports suggest the 2013 Nexus 7 from Asus is not living up to the standards set forth by many owners as units are catastrophically failing at increasing rates.

Word of the high failure rate began circulating a couple of weeks ago as a pair of threads on the Google Product Forums (link 1, link 2) gained popularity, sparking discussions on other forums and some tech blogs. Complaints generally describe a sudden onset of severe lag and randomly crashing apps, or the tablet would freeze up entirely. After turning off or rebooting the device, users reported similar symptoms:

Affected units stop booting at the "Google" logo screen.
Attempts to unlock the device through fastboot fail at the "erasing userdata..." step, leaving the devices locked.
Some users report successfully flashing factory images on unlocked devices, but this still doesn't fix the problem.
There are mixed reports about starting up in Recovery, with some users complaining that the Nexus 7 freezes, and others being able to get in to perform some maintenance.

Google has directed customers to request repairs from Asus. Since many of the affected devices are recently out of warranty, Asus is asking most customers to pay between $150 and $200 for repairs, with one report going as high as $344. This has led some angry owners to launch a change.org petition and build awareness on social networks with the hashtag #Nexus7Bricked.

Due to the timing of some complaints, a number of people have attributed the failures to Android 5.0.2, which was released in mid-January. While this theory has been widely reported as fact based on attributions to the aforementioned discussion threads, there are numerous examples of identical symptoms dating back to a mere few weeks after the 2013 Nexus 7 was released, including threads on XDA-Developers (link 1, link 2, link 3), Reddit, and Android Central Forums (link 1, link 2, link 3, link 4). Even our own Artem Russakovskii experienced this issue back in May 2014. It's worth noting, nobody else on the Android Police team has had a 2013 Nexus 7 die. #artemsluck

The common symptoms in these reports combined with the significant span of time over which they occur are strong indicators that the problem is linked to a hardware component that is susceptible to early failure – most likely involving flash storage. This wouldn't be the first case of an Asus-made Nexus tablet with faulty components: a bad flash controller in the original 2012 Nexus 7 notoriously caused severe lag as it aged, and in some cases, merely from getting too full. Further evidence to support this explanation comes by way of reports from 2013 Nexus 7 owners that have sent in the tablet for repairs, all of which claim that the motherboard had to be replaced to restore the device to working order.

No confirmed method has been proposed for preventing the issue or fixing it once it has occurred. A few people have claimed success with solutions like briefly unhooking the internal battery cable or even hitting the device on the left side immediately after starting it up, but neither of these tricks seem to work for more than a handful of cases. This is a good time to point out that we at Android Police take no responsibility if these methods result in damages, physical harm, dismemberment, death, chicken pox, ear weasel, or any other adverse side effects. Seriously though, be very careful opening up or striking your gadgets.

At this time, it's not clear how many devices have been affected, but an examination of the forum threads suggests that the problem is picking up speed. Rather than a handful of complaints each month, the same number seem to be turning up each week. It's likely that the faulty components are going bad as they age, but it's also possible that changes in firmware may be stressing hardware to the point of failure more rapidly.

It's normal for hardware to go bad over time, and there are certainly going to be occasional lemons with any production; but at less than 2 years of age, it's too early for problems like this to become so common. Hopefully, Asus will step up with a solution, or at least offer to reduce the cost of repair so it doesn't exceed that of buying a brand new tablet.

wasn't the nexus 7 always kinda unreliable and failure prone?

fwiw my ipads from 2010 and 2012 still work great

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...rmware-updates/

wasn't the nexus 7 always kinda unreliable and failure prone?

fwiw my ipads from 2010 and 2012 still work great

they were unreliable

its readily apparent they were built to a price point and were never meant to be good or reliable but given the state of android tablets when they came out they were head and shoulders above anything anyone else was selling

if id paid more than $130 for one id have felt ripped off but for that price i feel i got what i paid for

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mishaq posted:

yes but that requires coordination between you and your landlord and is an inconsistent experience bank to bank

there's no universal system that's just "Hey, send money to Account #75531833" without prior setup

it's why in 2015 we can't even split a restaurant bill on one person's credit card and have everyone else just immediately send their share from their phones

even countries with free electronic direct deposits don't have this
there's nothing in it for the bank

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

~Coxy posted:

even countries with free electronic direct deposits don't have this
there's nothing in it for the bank

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/paym/retpaym/html/index.en.html

it's easier to send money to someone in another country in europe than it is for me to send my friend $20 for lunch

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i guess i can write him a paper check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

mishaq posted:

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/paym/retpaym/html/index.en.html

it's easier to send money to someone in another country in europe than it is for me to send my friend $20 for lunch

https://venmo.com

• Locked thread