Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKY3scPIMd8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
YOSPOS Googler == yoogler?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

YOSPOS Googler == yoogler?

google my yoogle

ufarn
May 30, 2009
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...e=deadtubeblues

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i don't get it what devices are actually getting cut off? $39 chinese windows ce "tablets"?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

good

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

i don't get it what devices are actually getting cut off? $39 chinese windows ce "tablets"?

iOS 7 and Apple TV 2

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

iOS 7 and Apple TV 2

seems to be any devices not running at least ios 7 (lol stymie)

why are they cutting off apple tv 2, does that thing not get updates anymore?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
always been weird how youtube.com/tv was much easier to set up than the ps4 app

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PleasureKevin posted:

iOS 7 and Apple TV 2

oh, so things no one uses.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

oh, that's showing up on channel rss feeds as well.

well, i guess rss feeds are a bit too useful and can't be used to mine as much data as subscriptions on youtube

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

I think managers are toxic in an engineering organization, and a disincentive toward expertise; Rational intelligent engineers would be foolish not to abandon their expertise for a more rewarding (financially, politically, effort-wise) management track. That said, I consider it even more foolish to have nothing in their place. Managers serve a variety of roles that will be filled, implicitly or explicitly in any tribe/organization. Further, they resolve the matter of hierarchy and eliminate political position jockeying (while exacerbating other forms of politics).

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ban cremnob

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

mishaq posted:

ban cremnob

:toot:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

cremnob posted:

I think managers are toxic in an engineering organization, and a disincentive toward expertise; Rational intelligent engineers would be foolish not to abandon their expertise for a more rewarding (financially, politically, effort-wise) management track. That said, I consider it even more foolish to have nothing in their place. Managers serve a variety of roles that will be filled, implicitly or explicitly in any tribe/organization. Further, they resolve the matter of hierarchy and eliminate political position jockeying (while exacerbating other forms of politics).

<faaaaaaaaaaaaaart>

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

fuzzy mammal are you still a believer or are you starting to see through the illusion yet

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

fuzzy mammal are you still a believer or are you starting to see through the illusion yet

everyone else saw through the apple illusion years ago cremnob

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google PR pitched this story to the NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/technology/microsoft-once-an-antitrust-target-is-now-googles-regulatory-scold.html

they shouldn't be crying tho

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/technology/companies/25google.html

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

cremnob posted:

in an engineering organization the managers are the ones who stamp and sign the plans and specifications thus taking on the professional responsibility and liability concurrent to their level of oversight

they are an absolutely integral element to the engineering process

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they also often are the ones that have to tell customers "yeah, uh, no, not with this budget"

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in an engineering organization the managers are the ones who stamp and sign the plans and specifications thus taking on the professional responsibility and liability concurrent to their level of oversight

they are an absolutely integral element to the engineering process

it should have been obvious, but thats from HN

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yeah lol if you thought ceremony was that pretentious a writer.

i mean in that specific way

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

cremnob posted:

it should have been obvious, but thats from HN

yes

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Valeyard posted:

why is Chrome "dropping support for Java" :psyduck:

Why would this be a good idea ever

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
java in a browser is bad. Java in a gui is bad. google, a company dumb enough to make a whole mobile OS based on Java, is not killing it in the browser because they care about a good user experience. they're doing it because they can't crawl Java content.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

java is a complete shitshow and i cant wait for the last thing i use that requires java to die so i can uninstall that pos

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it's not even just java, it's all NPAPI plugins, which includes things like silverlight, unity web player, adobe reader, adobe flash player, shockwave player, and every other plugin ported from netscape. you idiots would probably be complaining if microsoft got rid of activex, even if they told you they were doing it a year in advance

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

anthonypants posted:

it's not even just java, it's all NPAPI plugins, which includes things like silverlight, unity web player, adobe reader, adobe flash player, shockwave player, and every other plugin ported from netscape. you idiots would probably be complaining if microsoft got rid of activex, even if they told you they were doing it a year in advance

I don't see anyone here complaining. I'm pretty sure everyone is for getting rid of lovely plugins.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hahaha the battlelog chrome plugin updater from EA will help you out and offer to re-enable NPAPI for you. how nice

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

anthonypants posted:

kill npapi

kill activex

no apis

no masters

only the void

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

flash is actually PPAPI in chrome so it will be around for a while

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Perplx posted:

flash is actually PPAPI in chrome so it will be around for a while
oh hey you're right, and they even got working on a ppapi port three years ago. weird how people think google is somehow at fault for getting rid of java "all of a sudden"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

people ar idiots

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

google is reinventing email

google is making a modular phone

google is solving death

google is looking for the loch ness monster

http://www.cultofandroid.com/73048/google-gets-a-surprise-in-search-for-loch-ness-monster/

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

google is reinventing email

google is making a modular phone

google is solving death

google is looking for the loch ness monster

http://www.cultofandroid.com/73048/google-gets-a-surprise-in-search-for-loch-ness-monster/

jfc google, get some goddamn focus

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
their focus is on distracting you from the fact that they're an advertising company

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
if you live longer you will consume more ads, therefore...

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

if you sign away 99% of your lifetime earnings, past and future, to google they'll give you an injection that prolonged the life of a mouse by 12 days

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

then version 2 will come out, doesn't cause neuropathy anymore but there's a new unknown prion in there, must be cool since we're biohackers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

SIGSEGV posted:

if you sign away 99% of your lifetime earnings, past and future, to google they'll give you an injection that prolonged the life of a mouse by 12 days

wait this is a real thing

• Locked thread