Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

Mississippi State Spring game thoughts:

Short version: We have a chance to be better than last year, which was our best year since 1941

Long version:

QB: Dak Prescott is Dak Prescott. It's hard to tell in a Spring game environment if he has gotten better, but he has improved significantly each year. I just hope he has learned how to time back shoulder routes better, because I swear the majority of his picks came from loving up that route. More importantly: The rise of RS FR QB Nick Fitzgerald- we will be fine when Dak leaves. He appears to be further along than Dak was at the same time (he graduated early last year, so this is his second spring). Damien Williams, a Junior, will never start for us. Also of not is Elijah Staley, another RS FR QB who was apparently ahead of Fitz before he got injured in the Fall. He is 6'7" 240lbs right now and can put more weight on that frame.

RB: We will be fine without Josh Robinson. We will be doing RB by committee this year, with JR Ashton Shumpert and RS FR's Williams and Lee all splitting time. Shumpert loves to hit defenders and is a great pass blocker, Lee is the most bruising of the three, and Williams is solid all around and reminds me of Vick Ballard in that no one thing stuck out about him, but has great vision and no obvious weaknesses.

OL: Less experience but more athleticism. Will likely be a bit weaker at the start of the season, but should be better than last year's by year end. Of note is projected starting LT Rufus Warren, a SR who was a TE but grew out of it. He appears to be getting the starting nod over #1 JUCO LT Martinas Rankin, which is not a knock on Rankin because he would have came in and started for us immediately a few year ago.

TE: No superstars here, but a few good all around guys. Walley will get the majority of the snaps, as he is the best receiver of the bunch and this is a spread offense, and Hutcherson will come in on short yardage/GL situations because he is 6'7" 265lbs. We also have Anthony Dixon's little brother here, who joined the team after a failed MLB career. He won't do too much because he has to re learn the sport, but is a pretty great athlete.

WR: The best and deepest position group on the whole team. Too much talent to talk about all of them. The two who stick out the most are De'Runnya Wilson, our top returning receiver, who is just a friggin giant that can also jump (he was Alabama Mr. Basketball in HS). This is only his 4th year even playing football, and he has improved greatly every year. Also, Donald Grey will be the biggest new name. He was the #1 JUCO WR last year, and has video game moves. The only knock on him is that he is kind of small, but that didn't stop Jameon Lewis from getting over 1000yds receiving in our offense two years ago.

I'll talk about the defense later after I get the chance to watch the game again. It was hard to evaluate defense from the sideline. If we can take LSU out week two, the hype train will get rolling just like it did last year after our trip to Baton Rouge.

Edit: Yes, Raku, I am a homer, but this is the most talent that this program has ever had at one time.

wow tldr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Its my understanding that Penn State had its spring game on Saturday.

That's the extent of my knowledge and also about as much impact as it will have on the upcoming season

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

noonkick updated a bunch

2015 Stanford Spring Game

2015 Notre Dame Spring Game

2015 Georgia Tech Spring Game

2015 Oklahoma Spring Game

2015 Florida Spring Game

2015 Nebraska Spring Game

2015 USC Spring Game

2015 Maryland Spring Game

2015 South Carolina Spring Game

2015 Georgia Spring Game

2015 Ole Miss Spring Game

2015 Arizona Spring Game

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

All I know about Houston's spring game was it got decent attendance (something south of 5K) because a lot of outdoor events got cancelled due to lovely Houston spring weather and they ran a ton of circle drills during the game, which caused all the Tom Herman circle drill leg humpers to get all hot and bothered.

Meanwhile, I cleaned my pool.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

VDay posted:

That seems like some random shot before the actual game, unless even the football team didn't show up.

It was taken at halftime, so either way not a great representation of the crowd. Still, that place is loving empty. What were we thinking when we built this D1 stadium?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
The local St. Simons govt (home of frat beach, where UGA students go to get shitfaced on the way to GA/FL) is considering either banning alcohol on the beach entirely or making the beach a venue with a large cover charge and alcohol purchased inside the venue only.

I wonder if they realize students will just find another beach.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Considering how lovely the beach is left after they leave, I sort of can't blame them.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
It makes them an insane amount of money though.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Korranus posted:

All I know about Houston's spring game was it got decent attendance (something south of 5K) because a lot of outdoor events got cancelled due to lovely Houston spring weather and they ran a ton of circle drills during the game, which caused all the Tom Herman circle drill leg humpers to get all hot and bothered.

Meanwhile, I cleaned my pool.

True, it was a decent turnout but I wouldn't even have been there if day one of the MS-150 hadn't been cancelled. "The Circle" was fun entertainment, especially when a couple of QBs went against each other and they clearly weren't used to contact like that.

All I really took from the game itself was that Utah QB transfer Schultz didn't look very good to me (but got good reviews in the Chronicle for some reason) and Ward is still doing the things he does. Our RB Webb looked pretty good, too. Oh and two of our guys got unsportsmanlike conduct penalties: one for bodyslamming a dude, and another for retaliating.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It makes them an insane amount of money though.

Yeah, this is true.

You out of town yet? Maybe next time you are back, hit me up for beers?

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

N: Cal coach and recruiter Pierre Ingram arrested in a prostitution sting.

V: what the gently caress

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UNC has new uniforms, with argyle patterns on the collar and side of pants.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Cup of Hemlock posted:

N: Cal coach and recruiter Pierre Ingram arrested in a prostitution sting.

V: what the gently caress

Clearly he won't be coaching for James Franklin anytime soon.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

DJExile posted:

gently caress UNC, but that poo poo is boss.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Thoguh posted:

Clearly he won't be coaching for James Franklin anytime soon.

Yeah, prostitutes are consenting partners.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Groucho Marxist posted:

Yeah, prostitutes are consenting partners.

True, but I was referring to Franklin's comments about his assistant coaches needing to be able to recruit attractive women like they do high schoolers.

Jame Franklin posted:

"I've been saying it for a long time, I will not hire an assistant coach until I've seen his wife. If she looks the part, and she's a D-I recruit, then you got a chance to get hired. That's part of the deal," Franklin said Wednesday on Nashville's 104.5 FM The Zone, according to coachingsearch.com.

"There's a very strong correlation between having the confidence, going up and talking to a woman, and being quick on your feet and having some personality and confidence and being fun and articulate, than it is walking into a high school and recruiting a kid and selling him."

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
The body of Ivan Maisel's son was found; apparent drowning (possible suicide).

:smith:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

DJExile posted:

Thank god -- their uniforms for the past two years were atrocious with all that black. UNC jerseys are at their best when they're simple and classic. I've always loved their argyle, but it's admittedly a little weird seeing it in a non-basketball context. Regardless, great job by Nike.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Holy poo poo :(

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
He'd been missing for weeks. Family held a memorial service last month.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/04/body_of_max_maisel_son_of_espn.html

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

C2C - 2.0 posted:

:\

Thankfully they recovered the body at least...

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

RumbleFish posted:

Thank god -- their uniforms for the past two years were atrocious with all that black. UNC jerseys are at their best when they're simple and classic. I've always loved their argyle, but it's admittedly a little weird seeing it in a non-basketball context. Regardless, great job by Nike.

It gives me hope that Nike can do something nice for VT one of these days, but as we've gotten worse so have their uniform efforts for us.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Mack Brown is in Dubai on a "trip meant to explore future possibilities for Texas athletics."

I feel sorry for the poor fucks who are going to have to play football in Dubai in August.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Pakled posted:

Mack Brown is in Dubai on a "trip meant to explore future possibilities for Texas athletics."

I feel sorry for the poor fucks who are going to have to play football in Dubai in August.

He's gathering mercenaries to kill Charlie Strong and take the team back. Right now he's in the middle east, searching for the lost McCoy...

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Raku posted:

He's gathering mercenaries to kill Charlie Strong and take the team back. Right now he's in the middle east, searching for the lost McCoy...

Or he's on an Indiana Jones-style quest to obtain the Cloning Device of The Mummy Umm-Rah to ensure an endless supply of Shipleys and McCoys for future Longhorn teams. But can he avoid the schemes of the evil Aggie Cadets?

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 21, 2015

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Pakled posted:

I feel sorry for the slave laborers that are going to die building the football stadium for the one football game that will ever be played in Dubai.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Korranus posted:

Or he's on an Indiana Jones-style quest to obtain the Cloning Device of The Mummy Umm-Rah to ensure an endless supply of Shipleys and McCoys for future Longhorn teams. But can he avoid the schemes of the evil Aggie Cadets?

I hope its not the same cloning machine used in Multiplicity

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I feel sorry for the slave laborers that are going to die building the football stadium for the one football game that will ever be played in Dubai.

Somehow it's ok because it's for their brand.

American college football games being played outside the US is dumb.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Mack wanted some first hand experience as to what it feels like to be poor so he can relay stories of struggles and hardship to players.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spacebump posted:

The only positive that came of Penn State playing in Ireland was I learned about that crazy road bowling they have over there

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Patterson hasn't been at UT a year and a half, and people already want his rear end gone. At this point, I can't tell if the man is insane or just incredibly stupid.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Sash! posted:

The only positive that came of Penn State playing in Ireland was I learned about that crazy road bowling they have over there

You would have known about that years ago if you watched No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain which is A Good Show

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

C2C - 2.0 posted:

He was seen on security camera footage buying a single 50-pound weight from a local hardware store on the day he went missing. Unfortunately, it was almost certainly a suicide.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Ted posted:

He was seen on security camera footage buying a single 50-pound weight from a local hardware store on the day he went missing. Unfortunately, it was almost certainly a suicide.

That's absolutely dreadful.

Oh, and this:

Former gently caress-stick congressman Allen West is also a self-styled expert on head/neck injuries in football; so much so that he recommends...prayer to keep injuries from occurring.

:psyduck:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Speaking of jesus,

Also surprise, student athletes spend a shitload of time on their sport: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25157011/pac-12-study-reveals-athletes-too-exhausted-to-study-effectively

quote:

NCAA rules restrict athletes' time spent on their particular sport to 20 hours per week. The study showed that limit is being violated in the Pac-12 but only slightly (average of 21 hours). The other 29 hours accounting for the 50 include voluntary practices, medical treatment and traveling activities that don't count toward the current limit.

quote:

• Almost three-quarters (73 percent) said they felt a voluntary activity was considered mandatory. Some reported coaches threatening to "kick athletes off the team for missing voluntary activities."

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

VDay posted:

Speaking of jesus,

:iceburn:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Patterson hasn't been at UT a year and a half, and people already want his rear end gone. At this point, I can't tell if the man is insane or just incredibly stupid.

Chip Brown claims season ticket renewals are down over 20% from last year. Could be wrong but seems pretty believable. As it stands I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to a game at DKR when they could watch from home, which bums me out. It should feel like a cathedral erected to glorify all that is holy and good (i.e. Texas football), but it feels more like one of those lovely carnivals that's all ripoff midway games and vastly overpriced junk food.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Spacebump posted:

Nah, just play them were the sport is at least appreciated in some way. Nobody in the ME cares about football. Canada and Japan would be great places to hold a game now and then, you'd absolutely get a good turnout.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
As a fan that's completely removed from Austin now, I'm curious -- what's Patterson doing that's harming the gameday experience?

Season ticket renewal and attendance dipping in light of the losing product we have on the field doesn't surprise me. But Patterson gave the fanbase what they wanted by firing Mack Brown and hiring, by all indications so far, a very exciting replacement. Same with the basketball program (obviously much too early to tell if it's a good hire). There must be something else I'm not understanding, because I don't think his fantasies of games in Mexico and/or Dubai are the main source of discontent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
There are a ton of good reasons not to do it, but I have to admit that a UCLA-Texas game in Mexico City would probably be pretty cool.

• Locked thread