Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Chthon posted:

Divinity II: Developer's Cut
The combat in this game is generally bland and the boss and mini-boss fights are by far the worst. Since it's pretty easy to gain more experience/skill points than you actually need due to the large number of side quests, enemies never really pose a real threat after a certain point, and for at least half of the game your health will regenerate faster than any enemy can inflict damage upon you. To make matters worse, your damage output doesn't really grow in proportion with your health so all boss fights pretty much consist of you rapidly clicking the left mouse button for minutes at a time while facing no real danger yourself.

But the absolutely worst thing about the combat in this game is that enemies love to heal themselves/each other frequently, unnecessarily drawing out these clickfest battles without actually making them more challenging. For regular enemies it's somewhat tolerable but for many boss fights where it takes literally two or more minutes of constant clicking just to whittle away half of their health bar, only for them to instantly heal back to 100%, it's drat infuriating. At least with the bosses they only heal a set amount of times before letting you very slowly empty the other half of their health bar which brings me to my next point.

At a certain point in the expansion (Flames of Vengeance) you come across three regular, fairly high-level (although still probably several levels beneath yourself at this point) enemies that just will not stop healing each other. Since they technically aren't bosses, they don't have a hard-coded healing count limit, but they are also many times hardier than any other regular enemy in the game for some reason, rendering them virtually unkillable unless you have been focusing on an extremely high dps build in anticipation of only this single encounter (my character is a melee-focused soldier dude so it's not like my specific build is lacking in dps in the first place). It's not a game-breaking issue, for now I've just been running/jumping around them as I complete quests while they futilely hurl spells at me, but it's a pretty questionable choice by the developers and I really don't get how it was even possible for this issue to get into the Developer's Cut (never played the original release so I have no idea how this encounter compares to that). Overall, it's just really making me dread the final boss battle and I'm considering uninstalling but I've already spent 48 hours on this game and apparently only have a couple more to go so eh.

Archer/ Mage is a lot more fun. Especially if you have a summoned demon and your creature to tank for you.

Even then, I'd say the game's strength is more the writing and quests than the combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Shadow of the Colossus: the horse controls and the inability of the PC to actually hold onto a colossus while climbing sure make me want to break a controller in half

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

Pillars of Eternity has a formation button but what it needs is a no really stay in loving formation button.

I like the gameplay but I just can not get into the story at all. It's kind of like Amalur where every aspect of the story revolved around the "fate" gimmick which I didn't car about so it made no impact. In PoE the story revolves around the "souls" gimmick which I don't care about so it's not making an impact. I just made it to act 3 and all I can tell you is that I'm chasing some guy and that I have powers.

PoE doesn't really have a story as much of a series of objectives foisted on your character without explanation or reason. You stumble into a ritual that gives you powers so you try to learn about what happened to you (this is the only normal person motivation you ever have). You find a guy with the same powers who went crazy after living alone in an abandoned monster infested ruin for decades and I guess now your powers are bad and you have to get rid of them. Then you clandestinely infiltrate the ritual people and try to take them down with cloak and dagger because I guess they're the bad guys now rather than just politely ask them to remove your ability to look at ghosts. So on and so on.

Also your wizard learns new spells by paying money to a book.

Contrecoup has a new favorite as of 01:31 on Apr 21, 2015

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

suuma posted:

Shadow of the Colossus: the horse controls and the inability of the PC to actually hold onto a colossus while climbing sure make me want to break a controller in half

Really? Most people are fans of the horse controls in that game. The key is that you don't need to steer it like a car - as long as you tell it to go forwards it'll handle most obstacles and small bends in the path without needing your input.

Contrecoup posted:

Also your wizard learns new spells by paying money to a book.

This is an old DnD-ism where adding spells to your spellbook requires several pages worth of expensive inks and materials. One that was indeed probably best left out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bewilderment posted:

Really? Most people are fans of the horse controls in that game. The key is that you don't need to steer it like a car - as long as you tell it to go forwards it'll handle most obstacles and small bends in the path without needing your input.

This is an old DnD-ism where adding spells to your spellbook requires several pages worth of expensive inks and materials. One that was indeed probably best left out.

quote:

Time
The process takes 24 hours, regardless of the spell’s level.

Space in the Spellbook
A spell takes up one page of the spellbook per spell level. Even a 0-level spell (cantrip) takes one page. A spellbook has one hundred pages.

Materials and Costs
Materials for writing the spell cost 100 gp per page.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I was playing dragon age inquisition in front of my nephew and the part where they all sing that holy chant thing happened and let's just say I've never blushed because of what a 9 year old thought of me until tonight.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The key to Shadow of the Colossus horse controls is you don't suddenly control the horse, you still control the rider.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Mortal Kombat X: Besides the usual fighter staple of "the AI blocking every attack and knowing when you finally do a grab as well as punching the instant you're vulnerable", there are some attacks that the AI will do that I'm sure is balanced out by the fact the player has to take a second or 2 to pull off. It was really nice at the end boss who used an attack that has a range of the entire screen that not only does a sizable amount of damage but he just spams over and over. Yeah you can duck to avoid it, but if you get hit once you'll flinch and not recover before he immediately fires it off again. I lost my first round against him without hurting him because he just spammed that move over and over and I couldn't do anything.

Also gently caress fighting Liu Kang

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Unreal engine 3.
Its a floaty plastic cum-covered garbage mess. Dishonored is the only game i can think of with fun gameplay. Human revolution was fine too i guess???

I just cant stand it. Its loose, floaty, bulky and lovely. Its pretty telling that in the grand age of UE3 we got gears of war as a 'gaming milestone'

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In the otherwise fun Westerado: Double Barreled you are on the hunt for your family's killer in the old west. While the gunplay itself isn't especially challenging you have to go through a gauntlet of enemies before you can get a shot on the guy. The problem is there are no loving checkpoints. If you get hit four times it's over and the only means of getting health is shooting an enemy's hat off and picking it up, which you sure as hell can't do when you're firing from horseback. There's no reason not to have more checkpoints and it just turns the climax into a slog when you have repeat the entire thing in full again and again.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Unreal engine 3.
Its a floaty plastic cum-covered garbage mess. Dishonored is the only game i can think of with fun gameplay. Human revolution was fine too i guess???

I just cant stand it. Its loose, floaty, bulky and lovely. Its pretty telling that in the grand age of UE3 we got gears of war as a 'gaming milestone'

You do know it's only an engine, right?
The games made on it are only as floaty, bulky and lovely as the Devs make it.

Also yes the default maps and shaders that make things wet/shiny are terrible and no dev should have used them.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Finally got around to playing Brutal DooM. Replacing the orbs of invisibility or whatever they're called with NPC allies that will murder half the level's enemies before you even start moving was fun for all of five minutes before realizing they're more trouble than they're worth and rob you of a good chunk of run and gunning.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Finally got around to playing Brutal DooM. Replacing the orbs of invisibility or whatever they're called with NPC allies that will murder half the level's enemies before you even start moving was fun for all of five minutes before realizing they're more trouble than they're worth and rob you of a good chunk of run and gunning.
"Fun for all of five minutes" is a good description of Brutal Doom as a whole

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Unreal engine 3.

Besides what has already said, HR did not use Unreal Engine.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Unreal engine 3.

lol bro i was looking at the list and saw the batman games, bioshock 3 and all the borderlands games as using UE3

i stopped reading it at that point

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

im pooping! posted:

lol bro i was looking at the list and saw the batman games, bioshock 3 and all the borderlands games as using UE3

i stopped reading it at that point

Batman is a bad game covered in "good game make-up", the rest of those games are utter poo poo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Batman is a bad game covered in "good game make-up", the rest of those games are utter poo poo
Arkham Asylum is good. Arkham City is not.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I feel like there's far more enemies in Bloodborne that are able to completely stun-lock you and kill you in what is essentially "one" hit.

Oh sure, it might actually be five or six hits, but seeing as I am completely helpless after the first one, you might as well just have them do one mega attack and one-shot me, because all you're doing with these small damage/high poise (though there is no more poise, so I'm not sure what stat is getting used) attacks is pissing me off more as I helplessly fumble to roll or move out of the way.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Git gud

DrBouvenstein posted:

I feel like there's far more enemies in Bloodborne that are able to completely stun-lock you and kill you in what is essentially "one" hit.

Oh sure, it might actually be five or six hits, but seeing as I am completely helpless after the first one, you might as well just have them do one mega attack and one-shot me, because all you're doing with these small damage/high poise (though there is no more poise, so I'm not sure what stat is getting used) attacks is pissing me off more as I helplessly fumble to roll or move out of the way.

git gud

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Put some cream on your hurt butt, Cummy Lemonstain.

A thing dragging down Human Revolution for me is that you get the greatest amount of XP for playing stealthily and non-lethally. This skews the game in this direction, instead of making both ways of playing equally valid.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

LoonShia posted:

Put some cream on your hurt butt, Cummy Lemonstain.

A thing dragging down Human Revolution for me is that you get the greatest amount of XP for playing stealthily and non-lethally. This skews the game in this direction, instead of making both ways of playing equally valid.

Isn't there literally no reason to ever use a lethal stealth takedown? They make more noise and use more power, IIRC.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There is one reason: Because your robot arm blades look rad as gently caress.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Polaron posted:

Isn't there literally no reason to ever use a lethal stealth takedown? They make more noise and use more power, IIRC.

They use the same amount of power, but yeah, they do make more noise and grant less XP. It's pretty dumb.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Polaron posted:

I want to say that if enemies find a knocked-out body they can wake him up, but I'm not sure if that is the case. I could be confusing things with Hitman, where a non-lethally neutralized enemy would wake up on their own after like 5 minutes and immediately alert the guards.

As for LoonShia's comment, I think part of it is that it's just plain hard to balance a game where stealth and guns-blazing are both supposed to be viable. If stealth is a good idea, it's usually the best idea; because either a situation is dangerous enough that you need to be stealthy and a gunfight isn't viable, or you can take a gunfight and stealth is a waste of time. You can try to balance it like DXHR did, where you customize your character to fit a stealthy or an aggressive playstyle; the problem with that is that you're essentially making two different games that need to blend together, the shooty game and the sneaky game, which is why DXHR has fairly bland shooty and sneaky: splitting dev effort means less time to polish each feature.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I actually thought the stealth for Human Revolution worked pretty well. Sure there were some rough patches, but I really enjoyed using small bursts of invisibility to jump between cover or when poo poo really hits the fan.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The problem was the Stealth/Slaughter split was not even close to wide enough.
Ideally each side should have had penalties in them that stop you from doing or make the opposite less desirable. Or essential bonuses that make the tactic viable in the first place.
You could still pick up a rocket launcher or a plasma rifle and be okay with it if you were stealth-built.

That approach of allowing the player to do everything or fearing to restrict the player due to their choices is really common. Which is sad since it only really works for games like TES.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hope the next Deus Ex game doesn't include experience for killing dudes and just does what Deus Ex 1 did and give you points for completing objectives/being good at exploring. It seems stupid for a franchise that is ostensibly built on freedom of choice to "penalize" you mechanically for making certain choices. This is also sort of like games with a morality system where doing the good thing is often better since your allies hate you less and you tend to get more poo poo out of it anyway.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
After having done a borderline obsessive stealth always run (on my first go, too...I might have problems) of HR, I played it again with my girlfriend and she actually forced me to just KILL people quite a number of times when it saved a lot of time doing so, so we both wouldn't get bored. It's actually not really a problem that you miss out on experience, I found. That's mostly because even with an somewhat even utility/kill skill split, you run out of useful skills about halfway through the game. Nobody needs an exact timer for when guards stop looking for you (especially if you a) never get seen or b) just ice the fuckers anyway), or that stupid Hacking: Fortify nonsense. If you stealth through everything and go for double knockdowns nonlethal super fuckery, you are probably done getting skills after the second level, because then you don't even need Armor or aim stability or whatever else combat skills there are. It works perfectly fine because it's not terribly well balanced, which is okay, it doesn't really need to be. In the skill department, at least. In the weapons department, however...

- the heavy fuckoff windup chaingun rifle is disgustingly useless unless you exclusively use it to mow down brainless armorless mooks that charge you, against anything even remotely resembling a threat it will just do no real damage for the payoff of being slow as poo poo, anchoring you down and possible overheating. It's garbage and I hate it.
- the plasma rifle is pretty loving cool. You get it before the final mission, which almost exclusively features unarmed civilians brainwashedly flailing at you. I don't want to use my plasma rifle to gun down those poor fuckers. The plasma rifle was used exclusively for the final boss and while it did okay there, I would have killed to actually KILL with it.
- any weapon discussion is kinda senseless anyway because you get a revolver that shoots explosions which kill gigantic fuckoff robots in three shots. It's ridiculous. It also invalidates the cool optional golden DLC gun.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Simply Simon posted:

In the weapons department, however...

On the other hand, the laser rifle can one-shot that boss who hides behind bulletproof glass since light, y'know, passes through clear glass. Which is pretty funny :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

GrandpaPants posted:

I hope the next Deus Ex game doesn't include experience for killing dudes and just does what Deus Ex 1 did and give you points for completing objectives/being good at exploring. It seems stupid for a franchise that is ostensibly built on freedom of choice to "penalize" you mechanically for making certain choices. This is also sort of like games with a morality system where doing the good thing is often better since your allies hate you less and you tend to get more poo poo out of it anyway.

I really want a morality system where the good choices actually compromise your mission rather than simply being all gooey and warm feeling.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LoonShia posted:

The real problem with XP was hacking. Passwords are worse than useless because if you use them you miss out on some XP, and early in the game the best strategy is to hack absolutely everything, regardless of whether it's useful to do so or not. It's just tedious.

Simply Simon posted:

In the weapons department, however...

- the heavy fuckoff windup chaingun rifle is disgustingly useless unless you exclusively use it to mow down brainless armorless mooks that charge you, against anything even remotely resembling a threat it will just do no real damage for the payoff of being slow as poo poo, anchoring you down and possible overheating. It's garbage and I hate it.
- the plasma rifle is pretty loving cool. You get it before the final mission, which almost exclusively features unarmed civilians brainwashedly flailing at you. I don't want to use my plasma rifle to gun down those poor fuckers. The plasma rifle was used exclusively for the final boss and while it did okay there, I would have killed to actually KILL with it.
- any weapon discussion is kinda senseless anyway because you get a revolver that shoots explosions which kill gigantic fuckoff robots in three shots. It's ridiculous. It also invalidates the cool optional golden DLC gun.
With the heavy rifle, you missed the part where its ammunition takes up half your inventory and runs out in about four seconds.

The biggest problem I had with the weapons though was never knowing what sort of ammo was going to be available. Your first time through, you're pretty much guaranteed to carry around a useless weapon that you just don't find enough ammunition for to ever make worthwhile.

poptart_fairy posted:

I really want a morality system where the good choices actually compromise your mission rather than simply being all gooey and warm feeling.
Rather than good and evil, I'd like them to go with selfish/selfless. One gets you more stuff, the other gets the NPCs to like you more, which means they'll help you out. Like, turn this guy in to the corrupt police force for reward money, or let him go and maybe later he shows you a secret passage to get where you need to go.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I was playing dragon age inquisition in front of my nephew and the part where they all sing that holy chant thing happened and let's just say I've never blushed because of what a 9 year old thought of me until tonight.

Yeah it's generally a really good game but man some of those moments when they're trying to be all solemn and epic are just embarassing. Hell, I was entirely on my own for that part but I still wanted to sink into the ground a little bit.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

NLJP posted:

Yeah it's generally a really good game but man some of those moments when they're trying to be all solemn and epic are just embarassing. Hell, I was entirely on my own for that part but I still wanted to sink into the ground a little bit.

What about it, is it just terribly written?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

musical numbers in games rarely work

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

carry on then posted:

What about it, is it just terribly written?
Yes, also the singing sucks. Also its a musical number directly after a very dramatic event. Also I dont think there is any other singing in the game other than the dumb tavern bard.

It starts with one person singing and then some other terrible voice actors who have never met each other start singing from their sound isolation booths. And once all 8 of them start up, boy does it really hit me right in the ol' feels.

Here, "enjoy":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgYxMVRtJr4

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Tiggum posted:

With the heavy rifle, you missed the part where its ammunition takes up half your inventory and runs out in about four seconds.

And you can't forget the fact that, even when barely upgraded, the most basic pistol easily 1-shots all basic mooks. With the Anti-Armor upgrade is completely unstoppable.

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

If you're an elf then right after that scene you get named the head of the Inquisition and in your acceptance speech you can tell everyone that their religion is bullshit and you're going to use them for your personal whims and don't get immediately thrown in a cell by the religious fanatics you're leading because otherwise the game would be about two hours long.

Picking the elf so you can be a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone is actually awesome and the only correct way to play the game, but that one instance is just really bizarre.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

moosecow333 posted:

And you can't forget the fact that, even when barely upgraded, the most basic pistol easily 1-shots all basic mooks. With the Anti-Armor upgrade is completely unstoppable.

That's Deus Ex tradition and I wouldn't trade it for anything. :colbert:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Paper Diamonds posted:

the dumb tavern bard.

The bard can at least sing and has a few decent tunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitpinecone
Sep 10, 2010

psychosis cat

Tiggum posted:

The biggest problem I had with the weapons though was never knowing what sort of ammo was going to be available. Your first time through, you're pretty much guaranteed to carry around a useless weapon that you just don't find enough ammunition for to ever make worthwhile.

Somebody on here once pointed out that you start the game being outfitted by Sarif with probably millions of dollars worth of experimental military-grade combat augmentations then spend the rest of it scavenging 10mm bullets from abandoned petrol stations and corpses, 4 rounds at a time