Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

Most entry level certs are useless and we don't hire based upon certs or what trash tech school you went to.

I have zero certs and I turned out ok.

CCNA is where poo poo starts to become useful.

Truth. The A+ is basically trash, I got it when I was 15. Thankfully, I found that out quickly and got m MCSE and CCNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Truth. The A+ is basically trash, I got it when I was 15. Thankfully, I found that out quickly and got m MCSE and CCNA

The only time I've seen A+ being useful/required is if you work at a shop doing warranty work. Some manufacturers consider A+ alone to be good enough to get warranty authorized on their product lines, some require A+ and a short test.

When I took it they were still asking about jumpers for IRQs and base memory addresses and how to use COPY CON come make a CONFIG.SYS if you didn't have any other editor available.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

angryhampster posted:

The American one. Is the Danish one better?

I'm a Dane.

So yeah, duh.

(I haven't watched the American remake, I'm just making poo poo up. Enjoy whichever version you like best.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

The only time I've seen A+ being useful/required is if you work at a shop doing warranty work. Some manufacturers consider A+ alone to be good enough to get warranty authorized on their product lines, some require A+ and a short test.

When I took it they were still asking about jumpers for IRQs and base memory addresses and how to use COPY CON come make a CONFIG.SYS if you didn't have any other editor available.

Pretty sure they are still asking that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
They are. Also detailed repair questions about inkjet printers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

They are. Also detailed repair questions about inkjet printers.

WTF. When I was working in a shop HP wouldn't even send us (warranty) parts for inkjet unless it was one of the fuckoff huge ones. They were basically disposable/depo repair.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Our Graphic Designer at work has hit the Windows File/Folder Character Limit, and is understandably cross that he can no longer copy/rename his files in his very nested folder structure :doh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Our Graphic Designer at work has hit the Windows File/Folder Character Limit, and is understandably cross that he can no longer copy/rename his files in his very nested folder structure :doh:

Teach that bitch about shadowlinks?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Teach that bitch about shadowlinks?

It'd help if he'd be willing to shorten his folder names.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Super Aggro Crag posted:

This is what happens when you only have 1 closet in the building with multiple runs over 300'.

What is?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

angryhampster posted:

Started The Killing yesterday on Netflix. This is pretty drat good.

you'll regret this decision, first season was bad, second was worse and the 3rd and fourth are barely redeeming enough to bother for those (me) foolish enough to have suffered through the first two seasons.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm a Dane.

So yeah, duh.

(I haven't watched the American remake, I'm just making poo poo up. Enjoy whichever version you like best.)

I have the Danish one to watch because I'm one of those people that loving hates it when the US remakes something pointlessly because most Americans are too scared to read words on a screen.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

You fail every single line you test.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So UVerse botched out install date. So no TV until the 23rd. Comcast, who previous checked the house and said "Everything is great! Address checks out! You can get the 50mb down service! Call us the day you want to transfer from your old house to your new one and we'll take care of it" has now changed their tune to "We can't find the house in our system so we'll need to get a line tech to your address. The earliest we can have someone there is the 24th."

Awesome.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CommieGIR posted:

It'd help if he'd be willing to shorten his folder names.

C:\Users\Bob\Documents\Art\Jim's Tire Shop\First Logo\Initial Logo After Discussion\Red\Slightly Darker Red than Original After 3-2-15 Discussion\Version with different font after 3-6-15 discussion where I suggested we use Comic Sans because it pops\file.psd

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

go3 posted:

C:\Users\Bob\Documents\Art\Jim's Tire Shop\First Logo\Initial Logo After Discussion\Red\Slightly Darker Red than Original After 3-2-15 Discussion\Version with different font after 3-6-15 discussion where I suggested we use Comic Sans because it pops\file_final_reallyfinal_finish_1a_final.psd

Fixed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

go3 posted:

C:\Users\Bob\Documents\Art\Jim's Tire Shop\First Logo\Initial Logo After Discussion\Red\Slightly Darker Red than Original After 3-2-15 Discussion\Version with different font after 3-6-15 discussion where I suggested we use Comic Sans because it pops\file.psd

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

go3 posted:

One of my favorite bands is Bal-Sagoth.

I've always had trouble moving mp3s to either CDs or flash media. They'd be in an innocuous enough directory (P:/Music or something) but their song titles are novels in themselves. No joke, this is an actual song title:

code:
The Dark Liege of Chaos Is Unleashed at the Ensorcelled Shrine of A'zura-Kai (The Splendour of a Thousand Swords Gleaming Beneath the Blazon of the Hyperborean Empire, Part II)
If there were any directories of any sort, they'd typically end up as Bal-Sagoth[1].mp3, Bal-Sagoth[2].mp3, etc...

It was hilarious and annoying at the same time.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

oh yeah i remember having to rename files like that to track one track 2 etc then edit the metadata in iTunes

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Dude in a brodozer flipped me off in the middle of a subdivision. I guess he saw me shaking my head in disgust.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

Going through my homework stuff.

Holy poo poo A+ covers a lot of really, really asinine poo poo that 99% of people in IT will never have to think of.

Yers, yes they do, even back in 2000 when I did that poo poo.
Net+ is a little more interesting.

CCNA is included.

My issue is I really, REALLY don't learn well outside of a classroom setting. Online or self taught, I only teach myself what I absolutely need to know to keep poo poo from going up in flames (then panic when things do go up in flames). That's the best case. And my knowledge turns into dust if someone sneezes on it.

I have the same problem, hence the silly amount of money still owed for student loans to ATI. I'd love to learn more about the networking side (as opposed to the desktop support/computer janitoring I currently do), but I'd really need to hit up some junior college or continuing ed courses to make it happen.

quote:

They also pay for all exams, even stuff not included in the classes, even if I fail and have to re-take, so that comes in kinda handy.

Nice! I had to pay for A+ and Net+, so never took 'em.

So I'm getting a shitload of threatening texts from former coworkers over me not finishing out my 2 weeks. Seriously, what in the living gently caress? IT'S A loving PIZZA SHOP THAT PAYS MINIMUM WAGE, WHY DO YOU CARE THAT SOMEONE FOUND A BETTER JOB YOU FUCKSTICKS?!?!

Yeah, they're way to serious about a poo poo pizza job. Would this be the bitch manager influencing things, perhaps?

Great Beer posted:

Lots of moving parts made as cheaply as possible, used frequently, and need software that supports a wide variety of file types and operating systems while still needing to maintain a high degree of precision.

Regular printers aren't so bad, save for some poor documentation by the installer or manufacturer. Label printers though? gently caress those. All of the above problems but they're expensive so they never get replaced. Ever. I once had to rig up one from 1999 to a win7 box. No drivers existed, so the only solution was a VM running a copy of win 2k we had lying around. This was deemed not fast enough so I recommended buying a new printer. They said no and had me hook it up to the box running the HVAC controls for the building that used win 2k. They then complained about having to switch computers to print labels. :downs:

Label printers and their designers/programmers/technical writers can all go die in a fire. They are the most poorly implemented and documented, special snowflake pieces of poo poo ever conceived. Fortunately most of hours are used by a terminal emulator, and the mainframe talks directly to the printer through the serial port, so I don't have to gently caress with them, since if they gently caress up, it's a mainframe problem, not a desktop workstation problem.

So I just got off the phone with Verizon. I was trying to downgrade to just internet.

:fuckoff:

Of course it's never a problem, until you actually try to do it, and deprive Verizon of it's well-deserved $$.

Tide posted:

So UVerse botched out install date. So no TV until the 23rd. Comcast, who previous checked the house and said "Everything is great! Address checks out! You can get the 50mb down service! Call us the day you want to transfer from your old house to your new one and we'll take care of it" has now changed their tune to "We can't find the house in our system so we'll need to get a line tech to your address. The earliest we can have someone there is the 24th."

Awesome.

Could be worse. there was that guy on Consumerist who was told he could get broadband, no problem, at his potential new house, so he bought the house. Then he was told that no, he couldn't get broadband, from either of the towns providers, and would have to pay an obscene amount of money to have cable strung. Now he's probably going to have to sell the house, because his job depends on access. No surprise: it's Comcast.
http://consumerist.com/2015/03/25/new-homeowner-has-to-sell-house-because-of-comcasts-incompetence-lack-of-competition/

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Another tech here ran into this once. A user had a nested folder structure that had at least 50 folders/files at the bottom of the heirarchy that were beyond the limit by 10 characters or so. The other tech was trying to transfer this data, and many of the files would not copy. He was attempting to fix it by going folder by folder (at the bottom of the heirarchy) and shortening the folder names so that they were under the limit, then individually copying over the folders and files that would not transfer. I :clint: over, changed the name of the root folder to make it 1 character instead of 15 (effectively shortening the file name of every file nested under it by 14 characters) and copied all the files over all at once.

Darchangel posted:

Label printers and their designers/programmers/technical writers can all go die in a fire. They are the most poorly implemented and documented, special snowflake pieces of poo poo ever conceived. Fortunately most of hours are used by a terminal emulator, and the mainframe talks directly to the printer through the serial port, so I don't have to gently caress with them, since if they gently caress up, it's a mainframe problem, not a desktop workstation problem.

They are also horrendously overpriced. Which of Zebra's lovely line of products do you get to support?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gorson posted:

Another tech here ran into this once. A user had a nested folder structure that had at least 50 folders/files at the bottom of the heirarchy that were beyond the limit by 10 characters or so. The other tech was trying to transfer this data, and many of the files would not copy. He was attempting to fix it by going folder by folder (at the bottom of the heirarchy) and shortening the folder names so that they were under the limit, then individually copying over the folders and files that would not transfer. I :clint: over, changed the name of the root folder to make it 1 character instead of 15 (effectively shortening the file name of every file nested under it by 14 characters) and copied all the files over all at once.

The other solution, and the one I did, was to go into the file server (Windows 2012 R2) itself, and then using //?/ in front of the root folder viewed locally, allowing Explorer to view the NTFS naming in Unicode, raising the limit to 37k character, and then copy the folders that exceeded the 255 character limit.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:2bong: :radcat:

I bought a Sleep pillowcase covered in pot leaves at the merch booth haha

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Cannot believe you saw electric wizard and sleep in the same week, mega-perk of the PNW. Let me guess, no earplugs?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Slow is Fast posted:

Most entry level certs are useless and we don't hire based upon certs or what trash tech school you went to.

I have zero certs and I turned out OK.

I generally agree with this, however the one caveat is certifications can help get you past non-technical HR drones who have been instructed to circle file any resume that doesn't include x certification.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

My super mega awesome boss that I love just told me she put in her notice this morning.

And it dropped to 35° and started snowing today, after consistent 65-70° weather.

If I didn't just sign a year lease, I'd be considering searching for new employment somewhere further south. :smith:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Scrambles posted:

Cannot believe you saw electric wizard and sleep in the same week, mega-perk of the PNW. Let me guess, no earplugs?

WHAT?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Gorson posted:

They are also horrendously overpriced. Which of Zebra's lovely line of products do you get to support?

LP 2824 mostly, and some of the other big network-connected bastards, but I don't have to deal with them much.
How did you know? :D

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

it's never too late to stop loving your ears man :(. I'm seeing sleater-kinney tomorrow night and I'm excited but I'd abandon my wife and friends for either of those shows.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Theres so many shows coming through town its insane. This month I didnt manage to see Weedeater and Mike Patton/Faith No More because of my vacation but coming up in the next few months is Lightning Bolt, Death Grips, and motherfucking Sunn 0))) :black101:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Theres so many shows coming through town its insane. This month I didnt manage to see Weedeater and Mike Patton/Faith No More because of my vacation but coming up in the next few months is Lightning Bolt, Death Grips, and motherfucking Sunn 0))) :black101:

Just saw Peelander Z at the Funhouse last week, first show I have been to in a long time and it was awesome. Now that the Funhouse is finally back, I will probably be seeing more shows there. Not the same as their old space, but its still good to have them back. I still miss the patio tho....

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Also for those of you unfamiliar with Sunn 0))), i want you to imagine something. It was december 2012, I got off work, I was so broke I couldnt even afford beer or smokes and sitting in my room wondering how I was going to get through my two days off entirely sober.

Someone pounds on my door. Its my room mate who slaps a double fistful of wild psylocibe cyanescens mushrooms he just picked into my hands and says enjoy because the harvest was good. I eat the mushrooms. Five minutes later my friend calls me and says Sunn is playin that night and he has an extra ticket. All I said was I'm gonna need a ride there.

I have worshipped at the alter of Sound, and I have heard the song of the death of all existence.

http://youtu.be/7a0Z2yndlOs

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Honda doing some super cool F1 tech

Though I don't understand how an axial flow compressor gives less peak pressure than a conventional turbo. Aren't normal jet engines designed to run at ungodly high pressures?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

MustardFacial posted:

Honda doing some super cool F1 tech

Though I don't understand how an axial flow compressor gives less peak pressure than a conventional turbo. Aren't normal jet engines designed to run at ungodly high pressures?

Jet engines work quite a bit worse when their outlets are obstructed.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sigma X posted:

Jet engines work quite a bit worse when their outlets are obstructed.

The outlet isn't obstructed. The hot side of the turbo turns the MGU-H, which then turns the axial. The compressed air from the axial is then dumped into the intake with ducting.

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

I have worshipped at the alter of Sound, and I have heard the song of the death of all existence.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
My dumb brother bought a used Cayenne turbo two weeks ago, almost sight unseen. He traded in his 2008 landcruiser. today he called me and told me the CEL was flashing. I told him to wait for me, and ill grab the towtruck from the shop. five minutes later he comes driving in. He borrowed a code reader and i could hear his cries of pain when he had 12 error codes, most of the ecu related. I started being an rear end in a top hat for awhile, telling him about parts prices for superior germans automobiles..then i tested his battery, it failed both static and load testing... Gave him a new battery and cleared the codes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

He'll be back.

But honestly, a Cayenne turbo is just about worth the pain and expense if you need that kind of space. They really are a hell of a lot of fun for something that size.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sunn's motto is Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results, tunes a portion of their subs to sub-audible frequencies just to push air and shake your bones, and tries to exceed 150+dB at their shows so its either Noise Marines or the closest thing to Disaster Zone we are humanly able to achieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Motronic posted:

He'll be back.

But honestly, a Cayenne turbo is just about worth the pain and expense if you need that kind of space. They really are a hell of a lot of fun for something that size.

I got to drive my bosses. It was hilarious on the highway and the active suspension is kind of fun.

I did not envy him when the coolant lines under the intake blew up though.

• Locked thread