Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I'm actually really pissed off at the way Apple is handling this launch. Didn't someone tell Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts that half the reason Apple is successful is due to diehard fans desire to be the first to have it? What was the point of staying up till 3am :f5: ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

gohmak posted:

I'm actually really pissed off at the way Apple is handling this launch. Didn't someone tell Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts that half the reason Apple is successful is due to diehard fans desire to be the first to have it? What was the point of staying up till 3am :f5: ?
I'm honestly curious how many people will eventually cancel their pre-orders entirely when they realize they're literally not going to get their new watch until June or maybe July. Hell I probably would. Having to wait 3 months is insane.

Might as well wait it out for the Apple Watch 2 at that point.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

gohmak posted:

Nobody in the world (except for high level Apple employees and celebs like Drizzy Drake) has an Apple Watch yet. I'd say it's a bit soon to be panicking.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I'm honestly curious how many people will eventually cancel their pre-orders entirely when they realize they're literally not going to get their new watch until June or maybe July. Hell I probably would. Having to wait 3 months is insane.

Might as well wait it out for the Apple Watch 2 at that point.

Ah yes, I need to wait a little while for a highly desirable product. I'd rather never ever have it then have to wait a little bit!! :bahgawd:

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

monkeu posted:

Ah yes, I need to wait a little while for a highly desirable product. I'd rather never ever have it then have to wait a little bit!! :bahgawd:
lol do you not follow iPhone threads a week before release? People literally freak out and call the UPS store if they don't get their device on launch day.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

lol do you not follow iPhone threads a week before release? People literally freak out and call the UPS store if they don't get their device on launch day.

A pretty significant number of them must have actually gone through with it too considering Apple only sold like 75 million iPhone 6s in the first quarter they were available. They definitely weren't being entitled cry babies on the internet :laugh:

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

monkeu posted:

A pretty significant number of them must have actually gone through with it too considering Apple only sold like 75 million iPhone 6s in the first quarter they were available. They definitely weren't being entitled cry babies on the internet :laugh:
Ok.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

gohmak posted:

Dunno how it's her fault that Apple literally can't manufacture enough watches to handle even just the demand of internet preorders.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I do feel like timing is a bit of an influence here. Reports indicate that they wanted to release the Watch last fall, and Tim Cook had been promising a new product category for like 2 years. My theory is that if this were coming out this fall they may have enough supply, but it had become poo poo or get off the pot time by last fall and they had to announce it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

monkeu posted:

Nobody in the world (except for high level Apple employees and celebs like Drizzy Drake) has an Apple Watch yet. I'd say it's a bit soon to be panicking.

I am ok with random Apple employees testing new products in the field but gently caress these celebrity sightings.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

gret posted:

Dunno how it's her fault that Apple literally can't manufacture enough watches to handle even just the demand of internet preorders.

Have the loving preorders start back in september for the April 24th launch?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

gohmak posted:

How would that make anything better?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

gohmak posted:

Yeah that's a great idea considering people are already having meltdowns about not having their Watch yet 8 days after preorders started.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Imagine if we had whole forums dedicated to single products!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1868466
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1867685

gohmak posted:

Before they start production and have even less data for shipping estimates?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Reading Mac rumors makes me a little sad for humanity. I am excited for the Apple watch, but I don't think I could ever get near that 'level of excitement.' Are they always that bad?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes. When the first iPod was announced like 15 years ago they all poo poo over it and predicted failure.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

gret posted:

Even as recently as the iPhone 5S, there were no preorders at all. If you wanted it on release date, you lined up. Otherwise you ordered on release date and it showed up later.

So that's one alternate way to run things. But since she wants to get rid of the lines, I guess it's not an option.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
For what it is worth, I just got a notice from my bank that my charge to the Apple Store for my watch was just processed. That should mean it will be shipping very soon.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Kenderama posted:

For what it is worth, I just got a notice from my bank that my charge to the Apple Store for my watch was just processed. That should mean it will be shipping very soon.

Looks like those May 13th shipping estimates for most stainless steel models were not conservative, it will indeed be next month.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Kenderama posted:

My order status just changed from "processing" to "preparing for shipment."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So drat it looks like my 12:03am order really won't ship till mid May.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

gret posted:

My order status just changed from "processing" to "preparing for shipment."

As did mine! Hallelujah! (I'm going on vacation for two weeks on April 29th and would have been vastly irritated to have it show up the day after l left and then sit there for two weeks :p)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

MarcusSA posted:

So drat it looks like my 12:03am order really won't ship till mid May.

My baseless speculation is that since GTAT poo poo the bed they've been trying to spool up sapphire production as fast as possible and the first batch all went to Edition models.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
My order is now preparing for shipment too. So that's neat. A good number of people in my office also ordered there's around the same time, but only mine flipped so far. So I might be able to be all :smug: come this Friday with the watch I paid too much for. That, or everyone will want to use it to deploy their Watchkit apps with :v:.

After checking it out at the Apple store last weekend I'm pretty pumped for this. I like how the Sport kinda matches my actual iPhone, where the normal one looked more like an early iPhone to me. I guess it's more "premium", but the sport looks like it will fit my needs. I just want more tighter a smartwatch with tighter integration with iOS, and this looks like it can offer it.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Nothing for me yet but it's only just hit 9 AM here so here's hoping.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Preordered mine a day later on Saturday, should get mine in time for NYE.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm so excited to hear about when people may or may not get their watch.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Thermopyle posted:

I'm so excited to hear about when people may or may not get their watch.

I'm setting up a blog with minute to minute tracking reports as they come in from UPS. So be sure to check out http://drasticactionsapplewatchtracker.azurewebsites.net

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Can we get a running tally of people who have and have not had their order status changed, along with the edition model they ordered and their location?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

Can we get a running tally of people who have and have not had their order status changed, along with the edition model they ordered and their location?
Sure!

:suicide:

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Some rear end in a top hat stole my Amex number, so I had to kill the card and get a new one issued. I paid with my Amex through ApplePay when I ordered, and my new card is now associated with ApplePay, so everything should be ok when my order gets ready to ship in June, right?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Some rear end in a top hat stole my Amex number, so I had to kill the card and get a new one issued. I paid with my Amex through ApplePay when I ordered, and my new card is now associated with ApplePay, so everything should be ok when my order gets ready to ship in June, right?

Call Apple and they might be able to switch the payment method.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, you should call and change the payment to be sure, but I think if it attempts to charge and fails, they'll send you an email to change payment method, anyway.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Sign in to the Apple Store and edit your payment info. You can change anything but the product up until it is charged.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Dirk Pitt posted:

Reading Mac rumors makes me a little sad for humanity. I am excited for the Apple watch, but I don't think I could ever get near that 'level of excitement.' Are they always that bad?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

Also there's a whole treasure trove of threads around the launch of the iPad when making Maxi Pad jokes and calling it a big iPhone failure was the pinnacle of comedy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Where's the 4000px :psyboom: when you need it?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Apple Pay is associated with your CC account, not your CC number. It actually has it's own CC # different than your card's. I had a Chase CC get hit with fraud and changed, didn't impact Apple Pay.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

fordan posted:

Apple Pay is associated with your CC account, not your CC number. It actually has it's own CC # different than your card's. I had a Chase CC get hit with fraud and changed, didn't impact Apple Pay.

This happened to me when I lost my Wells Fargo Visa debit card but I still got an email saying my ApplePay had been automatically switched to the new card and without any action on my part I was able to use ApplePay even before I had received the replacement card.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
There was an Apple Pay/Payments thread where the internals/backend was talked about and discussed, and that it wasn't actually associated with your credit card number other than using it initially to tell your bank which account to build the Apple Pay stuff for. Might need archives: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3675514

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

YES! Preparing for shipment here in Australia, Space Grey Sport.

• Locked thread