Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I liked Infinite Jest. I feel like Wallace is a lot like Tom Robbins - the latter writes really clever, memorable sentences but mediocre books; the former can write really good scenes but the final product is less than the sum of its parts. There's several 5-10 page sections of IJ that'll stay with me forever (the nuclear-war-as-tennis-game bit, that one conversation Orin and Hal have about finding their dad's body, the mini-essay about why video phones stopped being popular), but it's probably something I'll never read again, as there's so many parts that just drag on and on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Popular Human posted:

There's several 5-10 page sections of IJ that'll stay with me forever (the nuclear-war-as-tennis-game bit, that one conversation Orin and Hal have about finding their dad's body, the mini-essay about why video phones stopped being popular),

I am like that about the gunshot victim in the hospital refusing morphine

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

EL Doctorow not Cory Doctorow

:thejoke:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

with the current state of TBB, I can never be sure

Another part of Infinite Jest that stays with me is the woman recovering from a suicide attempt at a mental health hospital. Its probably the best description of how depression leads to self-harm I have ever read, and it comes off as very tragic in the shadow of DFW's loss to that battle.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do think it's become sort of the literary bible of the American twenty something though and that's kind of obnoxious.

Fixed.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm fine with lacking cohesive narrative, that's not incredibly important to me as a reader. I think part of the problem is I came into Infinite Jest on the back of reading (and really enjoying) E Unibus Pluram so I'm often looking for the post post modern angle that DFW advocates there. And what he does is nothing like that, he indulges in the maximalist excesses completely, there's a denial of narrative + metanarrative and every emotion is behind a veneer of irony. He's just writing a postmodern novel, and not a very good one at that because instead of sacrificing coherence + ethics for beauty, he ditches coherence and writes ugly prose.

There are bits that are good, but those are always the bits that come closest to being written by Pynchon or Gaddis, rather than being a powerful reaction to them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

There are bits that are good, but those are always the bits that come closest to being written by Pynchon or Gaddis, rather than being a powerful reaction to them.

I read Infinite Jest in isolation rather than as part of a larger dialog so I can see how you might have a different experience with it. Its definitely extremely ironic, but that might be a large part of it being written at the dawn of the millennial irony zeitgeist.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

I couldn't see the book through all the fart jokes, fart related names and 16th church minutiae seen thru a farting rear end that had me constantly looking at the endnotes (there were no footnotes in my edition). some of the jokes were good, but they're always followed by a 5 page long gag about some bishop who drank too much with an endnote of the same length

but i have low tolerance for medieval/renaissance lit anyway, even for Dante's Inferno, don quixote being the exception. maybe cause Cervantes didn't write to destroy his opponents.

It seems pretty weird to read a book renowned for dick jokes and complain that there's not enough plot, because of all the dick jokes.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Egil's Saga is Best Saga

egil's owns but the best saga is actually the Eyrbyggja saga, which has no real plot to speak of but does include a scene where an undead ghost-seal rises halfway through the floor of a hall and a kid has to smush it back down with hammer by whamming it repeatedly on the head

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

End Of Worlds posted:

egil's owns but the best saga is actually the Eyrbyggja saga, which has no real plot to speak of but does include a scene where an undead ghost-seal rises halfway through the floor of a hall and a kid has to smush it back down with hammer by whamming it repeatedly on the head

I :club: baby seals

this, though: http://www.viking.ucla.edu/Scientific_American/Egils_Bones.htm

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gunter Grass :smith:

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Gunter Grass :smith:

guess it's time to reread The Tin Drum.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
read Eduardo Galeano instead

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Ras Het posted:

ok.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I've never actually read Tin Drum. Any recommendations on translations? I have an older translation but I know a brand new one just came out.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've never actually read Tin Drum. Any recommendations on translations? I have an older translation but I know a brand new one just came out.

I have the one by Breon Mitchell, and it's fine, for what its worth.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Ras Het posted:

Actually read both, theyre both good.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I read the John Reddick translation and I enjoyed it a lot.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If only they would make an anime adaptation of ulysses op's life would be complete.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Stephen King is everyone's first serious author.

He exists at the cultural point in most people's development in which they want to explore adult fiction and move on from more traditional children's or young adult novels. His style is genuinely better than most people in his genre, and he had a legitimately diverse creative output. He is a pretty good way to bridge people into complicated reading and if he is the first author you ever set out to read without a teachers prompting he is a unique and eye opening experience. I cannot blame people for being nostalgic and defensive of him because of this. But seriously, one you cross that bridge you are going to find fiction so good it will haunt and redefine you and leave King in the dust.

I suppose this is true. I did start reading It for the reasons you posit. However, I realised about a quarter of the way through that It is awful. And while I read all of The Dark Tower, that too was pretty average.

Does Phillip Pullman count? Pretty sure HDM set me up in my (non)religious beliefs. But really I think it was George Orwell that was my literary crossover/appreciation moment. Animal Farm, 1984 and Shooting an Elephant.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you guys haven't read David Vann yet quit being useless shitfuckers and read David Vann

I'm not just going to 'read' David Vann.

Which book?

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I bought How To Read a Book

http://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Book-Touchstone-book-ebook/dp/B004PYDAPE/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

And now I have a big list of books to read. Thankfully I read The Odyssey ahead of time.

thehomemaster fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 14, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

If only they would make an anime adaptation of ulysses op's life would be complete.

There's a manga.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

thehomemaster posted:

I'm not just going to 'read' David Vann.

Which book?

Literally any of them

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The only Stephen King I ever read was "Running Man" when i was 10 or something. It was alright for a kid's book.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm reading Bloom's Western Canon and while he's a bit weird about the School of Resentment stuff, his passion for literature is incredibly infectious and reading it makes me want to read all the time. I'd recommend it, so long as you don't care too much about reading a man who really can't stand the idea of any critique that isn't solely concerned with aesthetic beauty.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

What's up thread. I am reading Fourth of July Creek right now and it's good.

Pulitzer announcement tomorrow :toot:

Who ya got?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I just finished The Clown by Heinrich Böll, it was pretty good. lots of monologues about how the protag's ex-gf is a massive slut (book's words) for leaving him, and he dreams of ways to own "former" nazis

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

I just finished The Clown by Heinrich Böll, it was pretty good. lots of monologues about how the protag's ex-gf is a massive slut (book's words) for leaving him, and he dreams of ways to own "former" nazis

Ever read The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum? That is my only experience with Boll, although I do have Group Portrait with a Lady laying around,

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ever read The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum? That is my only experience with Boll, although I do have Group Portrait with a Lady laying around,

no, this was my first Böll novel. is it good?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

I liked it. Its scope is surprisingly narrow for a literary novel, but it still rings true 40 years later.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yo ulvir, you a Solstad man? I'm trying to decide whether to pursue a thorough reading of his stuff or Fløgstad's next. Got anything in particular to recommend? I've read some of the more famous novels of both guys (re: Solstad I've read, type, Irr! Grønt!, T. Singer and Gymnaslærer Pedersens Beretning, but none of the newer books and nothing really obscure) - I'm currently tending towards Fløgstad, but if you have any must-reads from Solstad I'm all ears.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

ulvir posted:

I c an vouch for it too. Also, "Billiards at Half-past Nine" is fun, dunno about the others, but I don't see why they shouldn't be good. His novels might be a touch too dramatic, but they're also great reads while not shying away from getting quite deep in some serious stuff. A bit like Hans Fallada or more literary Erich Maria Remarque in my memory.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I liked it. Its scope is surprisingly narrow for a literary novel, but it still rings true 40 years later.

Burning Rain posted:

I c an vouch for it too. Also, "Billiards at Half-past Nine" is fun, dunno about the others, but I don't see why they shouldn't be good. His novels might be a touch too dramatic, but they're also great reads while not shying away from getting quite deep in some serious stuff. A bit like Hans Fallada or more literary Erich Maria Remarque in my memory.

Cool, I'll add it to my list.

edit: also added Billiards at Half-past Nine

V. Illych L. posted:

Yo ulvir, you a Solstad man? I'm trying to decide whether to pursue a thorough reading of his stuff or Fløgstad's next. Got anything in particular to recommend? I've read some of the more famous novels of both guys (re: Solstad I've read, type, Irr! Grønt!, T. Singer and Gymnaslærer Pedersens Beretning, but none of the newer books and nothing really obscure) - I'm currently tending towards Fløgstad, but if you have any must-reads from Solstad I'm all ears.

sorry, the only thing I've read of Solstad is his short story titled, well, «Novelle». Haven't read any Fløgstad either, I might need to rectify this at some point, on both accounts.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 20, 2015

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum

Haven't read it, but I can say that the 1974 film of this is good and cool.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What's up thread. I am reading Fourth of July Creek right now and it's good.

Pulitzer announcement tomorrow :toot:

Who ya got?

Just went to All The Light We Cannot See.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Not sure how I feel about "All the Light We Cannot See" winning the Pulitzer prize. It was a good book, but it didn't really feel like a masterpiece, especially held against some other competition. Between this and The Goldfinch winning last year I am worried they are taking too much of a populist approach.

Also Joyce Carol Oates and Richard Ford being finalists. wtf. It's not 1993 anymore guys.

EDIT: I really think if you take the last decade or so in retrospect, the National Book Award is much more on target these days than the Pulitzer.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 20, 2015

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
That said the sixth extinction looks like a good read.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
Thinking about reading "Anna Karenina." What's the best translation?

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
I'm on kind of a Japan kick, and for that reason I started to read Kokoro today. Man this book is depressing

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

paint dry posted:

I'm on kind of a Japan kick, and for that reason I started to read Kokoro today. Man this book is depressing

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=359

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Thinking about reading "Anna Karenina." What's the best translation?

Pevear and Volokhonsky are considered nowadays to be the most accurate.