Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TraderStav posted:

Somewhere along the line Google Now thought I would be interested in receiving cards on Pakistani Cricket. The strange thing is that the cards do not have the usual menu option to say that I am not interested in receiving these any longer and when I access my options under Sports no such team/sport is listed in there to deselect. Any other ideas on how to remove this card? It's a minor thing, but really don't need to see it...

Nope, sorry, you're a cricket fan now! So decrees the Google. :v:

Do you see the "options" menu by the card? If you're on Lollipop it'll be three horizontal dots above it. Try going into there and changing the options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

lelandjs posted:

Nope, sorry, you're a cricket fan now! So decrees the Google. :v:

Do you see the "options" menu by the card? If you're on Lollipop it'll be three horizontal dots above it. Try going into there and changing the options.

I swear I looked a dozen times and there wasn't an option. Low and behold now that I take another look after posting the question it is there... I am ashamed of myself, but thank you for the help!

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

ruby idiot railed posted:

The Droid Turbo/Moto Maxx, Galaxy S6/E, or Note 4 are the phones to get for now. Sorry about your lots everyone else!

e: quick survey

Anyone who's on the current Google Play Services (7.3.29-ish) doesn't matter what phone ... has your "Ok Google" detection options gone away?

It's there for me, but isn't that the Google Now Launcher, not Play Services?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Anyone who's on the current Google Play Services (7.3.29-ish) doesn't matter what phone ... has your "Ok Google" detection options gone away?

Are you on a S6?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

TraderStav posted:

Somewhere along the line Google Now thought I would be interested in receiving cards on Pakistani Cricket. The strange thing is that the cards do not have the usual menu option to say that I am not interested in receiving these any longer and when I access my options under Sports no such team/sport is listed in there to deselect. Any other ideas on how to remove this card? It's a minor thing, but really don't need to see it...

Are you now or have you ever been a Cricket Wireless member? ;) Or have you searched for Cricket Wireless? That's why the Cricket cards kept coming up for me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Captain Yossarian posted:

Are you now or have you ever been a Cricket Wireless member? ;) Or have you searched for Cricket Wireless? That's why the Cricket cards kept coming up for me.

Yes I am. That makes a hell of a lot of sense now that you mention it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
hahahahahaha best worst side effect ever.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="444331694"]
It's there for me, but isn't that the Google Now Launcher, not Play Services?

My operating theory is that the latest Play Services update broke it. It was there when I set it up.

Ragingsheep posted:

Are you on a S6?

Yep, the wife's S6E. "Ok Google" detection option have vanished.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

TraderStav posted:

Yes I am. That makes a hell of a lot of sense now that you mention it.

You need to go into your search history and remove the searches for Cricket. I had this same problem a while back.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yeah, they came up a lot for me when I was on Cricket Wireless, and continued for a while after I switched over to T-Mobile.

I just considered it their punishment for leaving.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Regarding the S6 hotword detection:

https://twitter.com/SamsungSupport/status/590235427120017408

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I'm shocked that Samsung is continuing to Samsung people

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
On reddit, someone that works for Samsung has said it is not intentional and will be returned in a software update.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So what's the verdict on the S6? Looking at reviews and initial impressions it seems...good? Seems that if you use Nova Launcher it's actually not a bad software implementation. I'm itching to get a new phone as I mentioned on the previous page since the Z4 is so lackluster. Love my Z3c but want something bigger and with Qi. That basically leaves Droid Turbo (provided it gets LTE on Cricket), Nexus 6 (If I can handle the magnitude of its sheer size), and the S6 (if it's not Samsung poo poo after all). Camera is important too, where the N6 and S6 seem to be doing very well.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Maker Of Shoes posted:

hahahahahaha best worst side effect ever.

It really is funny as hell. It took me a shameful amount of time before I had my "ah ha!" moment.

Since I never go to Cricket's webpage on my phone, I had to track it down to my desktop browser. I normally use Firefox on my PC, but I found a couple instances I used my shard login Chrome and presto: now I constantly know the results of Afghanistan's cricket squad.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

TraderStav posted:

So what's the verdict on the S6? Looking at reviews and initial impressions it seems...good? Seems that if you use Nova Launcher it's actually not a bad software implementation. I'm itching to get a new phone as I mentioned on the previous page since the Z4 is so lackluster. Love my Z3c but want something bigger and with Qi. That basically leaves Droid Turbo (provided it gets LTE on Cricket), Nexus 6 (If I can handle the magnitude of its sheer size), and the S6 (if it's not Samsung poo poo after all). Camera is important too, where the N6 and S6 seem to be doing very well.

Nova Launcher or not I just can't get over Samsung's take on the notification shade. It's just so visually jarring on top of being a cluttered mess. I have to use that every day and it would drive me mad. That alone pushed me to the N6. I wont lie; it's loving huge. Too huge. I have to admit that Active Display has made the size more manageble in that I'm not having to situate the phone to use the power button to wake it up and then re-position my hand to actually use the phone. The size though.... god drat. It absolutely dwarfs my N5 and after a few days I played with a friend's Note 3 which now seems like a normal size phone. Maybe I'll get used to it in a few weeks but I'm not sure.

Edit: Only reason I got it was because I gifted my 2013 N7 and kept running into things I'd rather see on a bigger screen so I figured I'd get something in between. It definitely solves that problem.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 21, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Droid Turbo/Moto Maxx, Galaxy S6/E, or Note 4 are the phones to get for now. Sorry about your lots everyone else!

Some people don't include the nexus 6 for being too big but you included the Note 4 which makes me wonder what you think is wrong with it?

OK google detection is the same.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

5.1.1 is out (Nexus Player only so far.)

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/04/21/android-5-1-1-factory-images-posted-for-nexus-player/

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Reverse Centaur posted:

Some people don't include the nexus 6 for being too big but you included the Note 4 which makes me wonder what you think is wrong with it?

OK google detection is the same.

I don't think any phones are too big--in fact I'm using a Note 4 right now.

My operating theory is: I think Google's current build of Google Play Services for S6 devices (and potentially any other devices that use the universal 64bit Lollipop GPS, -440, 7.3.28/29 versions) doesn't work with the low power voice detection chip so disables "Ok Google" detection from anything but in-app. It's a GPS issue. But I don't have another 64-bit lollipop device, or many others to play with.

People are all up in arms with outrage over Samsung, it's a low signal high noise environment. Even the XDA forums I looked at (just the T-Mo subforums, I admit) don't have threads on this. But Samsung didn't OTA the S6 before it broke but Google did update GPS.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Hell, maybe it just never worked and was tying up some high powered CPU to enable the functionality and that's why Google Play Services was chewing up such a large chunk of the battery life. Now Screen is back on top and GPS is a more standard-looking 4th place rather than 1st-2nd.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I don't think any phones are too big--in fact I'm using a Note 4 right now.

So answer the question then?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Reverse Centaur posted:

So answer the question then?

Was the question why I didn't include the Nexus 6 when I did include the Note 4?

Exaggeration. It's a really good phone, it's just not on the same tier as the ones I listed in the ways they stand out. Camera is good in bright light, suffers a lot more than the competition when it's darker. Slower internal storage result of/exacerbated by enforced full device encryption. Note 4 edges it out in the screen's quality and power efficiency both.

It's better than the current piles of dreck from e.g. HTC.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Hey guys I like the nexus 6 and I'm not upset that other people don't

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

nerve posted:

:frogout:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

nerve posted:

It was an honest question and I accept the answer, shithead.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

nerve posted:

I'm really mad at you...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

5.1.1 changelog posted.

https://sferadev.com/android-5.1.1_r1

Let's mosey on over there see if there are any hints to a N9 rollou...

code:
project device/asus/flo-kernel/
c82449c flo: update prebuilt kernel [DO NOT MERGE]

project device/lge/hammerhead/
5e1dad8 mm-camera-interface: Retry in case of timeouts

project device/lge/hammerhead-kernel/
57d5b6d hammerhead: update prebuilt kernel [DO NOT MERGE]

project device/lge/mako-kernel/
6693a83 mako: update prebuilt kernel [DO NOT MERGE]

project device/moto/shamu/
2512496 DO NOT MERGE: mm-camera-interface: Retry in case of timeouts
8766777 DO NOT MERGE: Camera3: Increase retry count when opening camera

project device/samsung/manta/
10299be manta: build libmllite from source
017ed8f manta: update prebuilt kernel
oh...

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

bull3964 posted:

5.1.1 changelog posted.

https://sferadev.com/android-5.1.1_r1

Let's mosey on over there see if there are any hints to a N9 rollou...

code:
project device/asus/flo-kernel/
c82449c flo: update prebuilt kernel [DO NOT MERGE]

project device/lge/hammerhead/
5e1dad8 mm-camera-interface: Retry in case of timeouts

project device/lge/hammerhead-kernel/
57d5b6d hammerhead: update prebuilt kernel [DO NOT MERGE]

project device/lge/mako-kernel/
6693a83 mako: update prebuilt kernel [DO NOT MERGE]

project device/moto/shamu/
2512496 DO NOT MERGE: mm-camera-interface: Retry in case of timeouts
8766777 DO NOT MERGE: Camera3: Increase retry count when opening camera

project device/samsung/manta/
10299be manta: build libmllite from source
017ed8f manta: update prebuilt kernel
oh...

Holy ridiculous. This actually made it in. I have no words for the stupidity seen here.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

NerdsMcGee posted:

Holy ridiculous. This actually made it in. I have no words for the stupidity seen here.

Explain?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

NerdsMcGee posted:

I'm missing it, what's up?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm guessing the fact that the changelog includes the description for things explicitly labeled DO NOT MERGE is the problem. Someone merged them anyways.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My main issue was no mention of any kernel changes for the n9.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
All the DO NOT MERGE, retry camera "fix" due to timeouts, etc. It's horrid really.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

DO NOT MERGE does not mean what it sounds like. It basically means this was a hotfix against the shipped source and they don't want it merged into the development branch beyond 5.1.1 or whatever.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/android-building/oJxZ92kC70E/IP9UlsoFoWgJ

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax

TraderStav posted:

I had every intention of going from M7 to M9 a couple of weeks back, but seeing the M9 in person was underwhelming. Plus, the demo unit that had been set up for ~1/2 hour was hot to the touch. I got to try out the S6E for a bit and actually liked it. I've hated Samsung for so long. Touchwiz wasn't too bad. The battery isn't great, but I'm never too far away from a charger. But I can easily make it a full day on a charge. If you're considering it, I'd definitely spring for the 64 gig version, though. I was planning on doing some custom stuff, but I don't hate anything about it enough to gently caress with it...yet. Except for maybe the power button. But that could just be a side effect of coming from HTC.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

For anyone wondering, the Nexus 4 still gets the "Sleep of Death" issue on Android 5.1. :v:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Dumb question since I just got baby's first Android (galaxy S5). Will anything break if I delete the default email/internet/messaging apps in favor of using other options?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

Aranan posted:

Dumb question since I just got baby's first Android (galaxy S5). Will anything break if I delete the default email/internet/messaging apps in favor of using other options?

Best you can do is disable the apps, but IIRC, you can't disable email / internet. Not sure about Messaging. (I'm on a Note 4, YMMV)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Aranan posted:

You don't delete them, you just install alternatives and make them the default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I don't know about Samsung in particular, but Android in general has no beef with you disabling the built-in browser or email apps and installing another. Samsung may have made those apps un-disableable.