Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

FISHMANPET posted:

Ok, yeah, I guess it makes sense the back end network would be different. I guess the point I was making though was that it's the same and as a consumer we present it to the merchant in the same way, generally a swipe.

But it sounds like Dutch cards don't work like that? Or they're all EMV but just not hooked up to the credit network, and instead to the debit network? So in that case since I'm sure an American debit card wouldn't work on the Dutch debit network, the only option is cash.

But it's all Euros anyway, so that's nice at least.
We also present credit cards and debit cards in the same way, with the chip!
I don't know how the back-end works, but my suspicion is that they just aren't signed up to Visa and Mastercard services 'cause it costs money.

dogboy posted:

With debit cards it is a different situation: if you sign, it is the least cost but highest risk option for the vendor as your account is not checked if it has proper fundings and you more or less hand out a cheque. When giving a PIN your account is checked for funds so it is less risk for the vendor but a slightly higher transaction fee - also more sophisticated hardware is needed.
I was surprised that this signing method was a thing. At some supermarkets in Germany it was the only way, and it worked fine even with my Dutch bank card. I've never seen it in the Netherlands.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

How come you care so much about this subject that your avatar is about it?

I was also wondering how he ended up in this thread. He must be able to smell when people are talking about debit/credit card systems. Maybe he's a member of the Visa dynasty.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Doctor Malaver posted:

How come you care so much about this subject that your avatar is about it?

Mild Aspergers most likely.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
gently caress! RENFE finally added the direct ALVIA trains from Madrid to San Sebastian, just a few days after I bought connecting AVE/ALVIA tickets at a higher price. That'll teach me.

Travel time's the same, but I think I pissed away 50 euros because I'm an impatient gently caress (but, also cheap enough that I bought the promo fare and can't cancel them). On the plus side, I guess I get a smoke break in Zaragoza and I have an hour to gently caress around and see the area of the city immediately around the train station...

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 18, 2015

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

gently caress! RENFE finally added the direct ALVIA trains from Madrid to San Sebastian, just a few days after I bought connecting AVE/ALVIA tickets at a higher price. That'll teach me.

Travel time's the same, but I think I pissed away 50 euros because I'm an impatient gently caress (but, also cheap enough that I bought the promo fare and can't cancel them). On the plus side, I guess I get a smoke break in Zaragoza and I have an hour to gently caress around and see the area of the city immediately around the train station...

Now you see why everyone was warning you about how terrible RENFE's organization and website are. Sure, you'll get a ticket from A to B (maybe) but it'll be the wrong ticket, on a different itinerary, or there will be some fine print that was only mentioned in Spanish, or something else will go wrong with it. Every time I deal with RENFE I feel like I'm time traveling back to 1995 before people figured out how to make websites for public transit. Would it be so hard for them to model off sbb.ch or bahn.de? Looking again, I see they don't even have the basics of an English website figured out, even their front page is only mostly in English, and god help you Chinese tourists further on as it all goes into Spanish on a badly designed website with errors popping up every two pages as I tried to buy a ticket from Madrid to Granada just to see how bad it still is.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 19, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Saladman posted:

Now you see why everyone was warning you about how terrible RENFE's organization and website are. Sure, you'll get a ticket from A to B (maybe) but it'll be the wrong ticket, on a different itinerary, or there will be some fine print that was only mentioned in Spanish, or something else will go wrong with it. Every time I deal with RENFE I feel like I'm time traveling back to 1995 before people figured out how to make websites for public transit. Would it be so hard for them to model off sbb.ch or bahn.de? Looking again, I see they don't even have the basics of an English website figured out, even their front page is only mostly in English, and god help you Chinese tourists further on as it all goes into Spanish on a badly designed website with errors popping up every two pages as I tried to buy a ticket from Madrid to Granada just to see how bad it still is.

The website worked fine, it's the scheduling that screwed up. Unless it was available earlier in person or on a different website, that's a problem with Renfe's schedule system.

I speak Spanish, so I don't notice the lovely localisation as much as other people.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

FaceEater posted:

There are a couple little mom and pop shops that specialize in fish, yes. No full blown fish market though. At least not one I recall coming across. It's similar to a desert there, all that poor fish would just rot and get smelly.

And like you said, it's like an hour to the nearest coastal town. Hop a bus from GRX to any of em, and there will be someone selling you something that was caught hours earlier.

Thanks! I look it up if i feel like cooking fish for me and my friend. Are there any good seafood restauraunts in Granada?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I guess this would be the best thread to ask. My girlfriend is taking some time from her studies in England to travel to Scotland. She'll be leaving from London by train and has ten days to end up in Edinburgh where she's flying out of. She's going by train and will be with her dad, but they have no definite plans to see or do anything anywhere. Any places they should for sure hit up?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Falukorv posted:

Thanks! I look it up if i feel like cooking fish for me and my friend. Are there any good seafood restauraunts in Granada?

I don't remember a seafood restaurant in particular, but I recall that I had an awesome "fish and chips" tapas somewhere along the northern part of Calle Navas in Granada. I remember facing south and being on the right-hand side of the street, but gently caress knows if I remember what it was called...

You can also visit, on that same street, the strange tapas bar with pictures of Jesus and the Virgin Mary everywhere that got featured on Anthony Bourdain's show once. It's every bit as weird and disconcerting as it sounds, but the food wasn't half bad.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Zesty Mordant posted:

I guess this would be the best thread to ask. My girlfriend is taking some time from her studies in England to travel to Scotland. She'll be leaving from London by train and has ten days to end up in Edinburgh where she's flying out of. She's going by train and will be with her dad, but they have no definite plans to see or do anything anywhere. Any places they should for sure hit up?

You mean in Scotland or on the way there?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Both. She has ten days and has to leave from Edinburgh, and that's all she's got so far. I realize it's a very open-ended question but she asked me "Where should I go?" and I couldn't answer her with any definition beyond "Uh, go to a town, they probably have scotch and beer...?"

e: I don't think she cares about anything truly specific other than the real basics of like "Be sure to check out this castle" or whatever. If there's a town that's cool and you'd recommend just visiting and doing whatever there, just say so. Otherwise she'll probably just pick random places off the map.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 21, 2015

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Zesty Mordant posted:

Both. She has ten days and has to leave from Edinburgh, and that's all she's got so far. I realize it's a very open-ended question but she asked me "Where should I go?" and I couldn't answer her with any definition beyond "Uh, go to a town, they probably have scotch and beer...?"

e: I don't think she cares about anything truly specific other than the real basics of like "Be sure to check out this castle" or whatever. If there's a town that's cool and you'd recommend just visiting and doing whatever there, just say so. Otherwise she'll probably just pick random places off the map.

I took a couple tours with Rabbies. One was loch Lomond and the other was St Andrews. I'd recommend both. Also Princes Street in Edinburgh.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Falukorv posted:

gently caress YES. Los Diamantes. The motherfuckin almejas are the best. Have several drinks there, and you'll get a different tapa each course. You might have to let them know which course you're on if they're busy. Or just order specifically.

edit: Also have heard good things about Las Perlas. A bit pricey they say, but worth it for a good full meal.

e2: And if you're a beer drinker, for Christ's sake don't order Cruzcampo anywhere in Spain. That poo poo is loving vile beer. It's like if someone swirled (even more) bile in Budweiser. In Granada, drink the Alhambra all day errry day. Alhambra Negra for bonus puntos.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 21, 2015

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

FaceEater posted:

e2: And if you're a beer drinker, for Christ's sake don't order Cruzcampo anywhere in Spain. That poo poo is loving vile beer. It's like if someone swirled (even more) bile in Budweiser. In Granada, drink the Alhambra all day errry day. Alhambra Negra for bonus puntos.

Mahou and San Miguel are pretty vile too, and a lot of places serve it as those three as the default beers. I've found tinto de veranos to be the only trustworthy alcoholic drink you can always get in Spain (I guess because how can you screw up sprite/fanta + boxed red wine?).

E: Yeah, the wine is good too. Even the table wine (often).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 21, 2015

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Saladman posted:

Mahou and San Miguel are pretty vile too, and a lot of places serve it as those three as the default beers. I've found tinto de veranos to be the only trustworthy alcoholic drink you can always get in Spain (I guess because how can you screw up sprite/fanta + boxed red wine?).

I actually don't mind Mahou. Alhambra is by far the best regional beer, followed by Estrella Galicia. I also like Estrella Damm.

On the topic of drinks in Spain, sangria is overpriced and you can make it at home. Saladman is right, just buy a tinto de verano if you're wanting a sugary wine drink. Also, a pour of pretty good red wine should be almost universally available. Order anything from Rioja for reds, and for whites I think the Rias Baixas generally does some nice light stuff. For the non-drinker, mosto is basically white grape juice, with zero alcohol content, served over ice with an olive garnish. It's delicious and if you're in the middle of a tapas crawl and need a break from boozing, it can be a nice alternative to soda.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Going to Stockholm for 3 nights + Berlin for 6 nights in about a month and got couple of questions. Is Berlin welcomecard the best choice for getting around easily, and is there something similar for Stockholm? Also any recommendations on places/events to visit in, or near, those cities are always welcome. My schedule is pretty up in the air still. So far I've only booked a Bundestag tour in Berlin, and planning on going on a day trip to see the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp. If anyone here has visited that place would be also nice to know if I really need a full day for it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

FaceEater posted:

Also, a pour of pretty good red wine should be almost universally available. Order anything from Rioja for reds, and for whites I think the Rias Baixas generally does some nice light stuff.

Rueda is also a seriously up-and-coming region for white wine, and if you can find white Rioja (it exists, but it's way harder to find than red; might not be available by the glass) it's also quite nice.

You don't have to overthink the wine by any means, though. I'm a bit of a snob, and I've had precisely 0 glasses of bad wine in Spain. I'd also second tinto de verano, because that poo poo is super tasty.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Zilkin posted:

Is Berlin welcomecard the best choice for getting around easily, and is there something similar for Stockholm?

If you're staying for 6 nights (7 days), a normal 7-day ticket might be a better deal than the 5 day welcomecard. Depends on how many of the other discounts coupled into the welcome card you think you'll use.

For Stockholm, there are multiple different options for public transport + free/discount entry to stuff combo passes, none of which are worth it unless you plan to spend 72 consecutive hour on a guided sightseeing tour. Just get a SL Access card and load something like 150-200 SEK of credit on it. It's not unlimited travel, but will very probably end up being cheaper than any of the time-based travel pass options.

As for places to visit, what are you interested in?

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Zilkin posted:

Going to Stockholm for 3 nights + Berlin for 6 nights in about a month and got couple of questions. Is Berlin welcomecard the best choice for getting around easily, and is there something similar for Stockholm? Also any recommendations on places/events to visit in, or near, those cities are always welcome. My schedule is pretty up in the air still. So far I've only booked a Bundestag tour in Berlin, and planning on going on a day trip to see the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp. If anyone here has visited that place would be also nice to know if I really need a full day for it.

I can recommend http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernsehturm_Berlin , there is a restaurant at 200m which (always/sometimes?) slowly rotates and with good weather your have an awesome view.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Zilkin posted:

Waci posted:

If you're staying for 6 nights (7 days), a normal 7-day ticket might be a better deal than the 5 day welcomecard. Depends on how many of the other discounts coupled into the welcome card you think you'll use.

For Stockholm, there are multiple different options for public transport + free/discount entry to stuff combo passes, none of which are worth it unless you plan to spend 72 consecutive hour on a guided sightseeing tour. Just get a SL Access card and load something like 150-200 SEK of credit on it. It's not unlimited travel, but will very probably end up being cheaper than any of the time-based travel pass options.

For Berlin, this also strongly depends on where you are staying. The welcomecard is 5 days Berlin ABC (i.e. all of Berlin + Potsdam), but depending on your plans and where you are staying, Berlin AB might be enough on a ticket. That said, if you go for ABC, Potsdam is well worth a day-trip. It's very easy to get to (you can either go directly via regional train RE/RB or you can take the S-Bahn, which might or might not have you change at Wannsee), since Potsdam has become very pretty (again) in recent years, and Sanssouci/Neues Palais, Babelsberg and the Neuer Garten are really very pretty, and so is the Dutch Quarter in town. Since you seem to want to visit Holocaust-related sights, the House of the Wannseekonferenz might be interesting as well, as are the Holocaust Memorial and museum (the later are conveniently located near the Reichstag, on the way from Unter den Linden to the Potsdamer Platz).

Waci's question what you are chiefly interested in still stands, though.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
I'm heading to San Sebastian in the end of June for several days. I've been there before and had a great time just hanging on the beach and popping into the old town for pintxos. This time I want to try to get out of the town and explore the surrounding region a little more. I'd be interested in checking out wineries, ciderias, hiking, farms, fishing, really anything. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm flying in and out of Bilbao if that makes a difference, but didn't plan on spending any time there as I've spent a day there before to check out the museum and didn't really find it to be overly interesting otherwise.

I was considering renting a car from Bilbao if it will help me get to some cool places. Really interested in checking out some restaurants like http://asadoretxebarri.com/en/ that are a bit off the beaten path. Concerned about parking in San sebastian though (my airbnb def doesn't have any)

Also, the last time I was there I met some guys who took me to a sort of cider house (big barrels of cider) and got drunk as gently caress on cider and ate a massive steak. I'd love to do that again, but I can't seem to find specifics anywhere online. Any one know where the hell I went and how I can go back?

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Waci posted:

Thanks for the info. I actually remembered wrong and I'm only staying for 5 nights in Berlin, so I guess that makes the welcomecard a bit better deal even though it still won't cover the full visit.

I'm mainly interested in visiting places that have some interesting history behind them, or just look really pretty. To give an idea so far I'm planning on visiting the Bundestag, some former stasi prison, Topography of Terror, Pergamon museum, and Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp. In addition I've booked a craft beer/brewery tour, going to see a musical, and couple walking tours of the city. Probably going to do that Potsdam day trip too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

hbf posted:

I'm heading to San Sebastian in the end of June for several days. I've been there before and had a great time just hanging on the beach and popping into the old town for pintxos. This time I want to try to get out of the town and explore the surrounding region a little more. I'd be interested in checking out wineries, ciderias, hiking, farms, fishing, really anything. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm flying in and out of Bilbao if that makes a difference, but didn't plan on spending any time there as I've spent a day there before to check out the museum and didn't really find it to be overly interesting otherwise.

I was considering renting a car from Bilbao if it will help me get to some cool places. Really interested in checking out some restaurants like http://asadoretxebarri.com/en/ that are a bit off the beaten path. Concerned about parking in San sebastian though (my airbnb def doesn't have any)

Also, the last time I was there I met some guys who took me to a sort of cider house (big barrels of cider) and got drunk as gently caress on cider and ate a massive steak. I'd love to do that again, but I can't seem to find specifics anywhere online. Any one know where the hell I went and how I can go back?

I'm headed there on May 19-23, if I come across any must-dos I'll let you know.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Zilkin posted:

Thanks for the info. I actually remembered wrong and I'm only staying for 5 nights in Berlin, so I guess that makes the welcomecard a bit better deal even though it still won't cover the full visit.

I'm mainly interested in visiting places that have some interesting history behind them, or just look really pretty. To give an idea so far I'm planning on visiting the Bundestag, some former stasi prison, Topography of Terror, Pergamon museum, and Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp. In addition I've booked a craft beer/brewery tour, going to see a musical, and couple walking tours of the city. Probably going to do that Potsdam day trip too.

Not sure if you have stumbled upon them already, but I have seen a bunch of tours by Fat Tire Bike Tours out and about in town, and they seem to be pretty decent. If you don't mind biking, that might be a nice alternative or interesting experience alongside (or instead of) a walking tour.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zilkin posted:

I went on a Berliner Unterwelten tour a few years ago and it was pretty interesting, might be worth checking out.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Hollow Talk posted:

Not sure if you have stumbled upon them already, but I have seen a bunch of tours by Fat Tire Bike Tours out and about in town, and they seem to be pretty decent. If you don't mind biking, that might be a nice alternative or interesting experience alongside (or instead of) a walking tour.
Thanks for the tip. Haven't really decided which "city overview" tour(s) I'll go on yet so I'll keep them in mind.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I went on a Berliner Unterwelten tour a few years ago and it was pretty interesting, might be worth checking out.
That is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to find. Will definitely try to fit at least one of their tours in my schedule.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Just booked my flight to Paris for Sep. 30th! Coming back Oct. 10th. Planning to spend half my time there and half in Belgium.

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

I'm going to be doing a road trip through parts of Eastern Germany, Switzerland, Northern Italy, Northern Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, and maybe the Czech Republic if time permits. I'm mainly going for hiking and natural scenery. I might want to hit up a big city or two, but I know driving and parking in the cities can be a nightmare. Any major cities in the areas that I mentioned that aren't super frustrating or expensive to drive within?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kinkajou posted:

I'm going to be doing a road trip through parts of Eastern Germany, Switzerland, Northern Italy, Northern Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, and maybe the Czech Republic if time permits. I'm mainly going for hiking and natural scenery. I might want to hit up a big city or two, but I know driving and parking in the cities can be a nightmare. Any major cities in the areas that I mentioned that aren't super frustrating or expensive to drive within?

I hope you're taking at least 4 weeks to do this, preferably more like 8. Will you have a rental car or will it be your own car? If it's your own car you can say "gently caress off parking tickets" (except for the country that matches your plates) which means the majority of major cities are fine to park in—at least for like 1-2 days—with notable exceptions like Milan and to a lesser extent Prague and Zurich. If it's a rental you have to actually care about parking tickets since they'll probably find you and send it to your agency which will then add on a fee and send it to you.

Milan is the only city you might possibly have on your itinerary that will be frustrating to drive in -- since you're on vacation and have the luxury of not driving between 8am and 10am, or 4pm to 6:30pm. I'm not sure what you mean by "expensive to drive within". Italy's highways are expensive, but there's no in city tax like London has or whatever. Swtizerland, Austria, and Slovenia have vignette systems to drive on the highway, so you'll have to buy those, but it's not bad compared to Italy's €0.10 per km or whatever crazy price their highways have. Maybe Croatia has that too? I can't remember now.

On your route as far as cities go, I absolutely loved Ljubljana. The whole downtown is car free, but I just dropped off my car in some back alley for 4 days like a 20 minute walk from the city center, and it was still there (unticketed) when I got it later.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 23, 2015

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Saladman posted:

Swtizerland, Austria, and Slovenia have vignette systems to drive on the highway, so you'll have to buy those, but it's not bad compared to Italy's €0.10 per km or whatever crazy price their highways have. Maybe Croatia has that too? I can't remember now.

No, it's regular tolls. Zagreb - Rijeka is 9€ for instance.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Kinkajou posted:

For scenery in East Germany I can absolutely recommend Sächsische Schweiz, really pretty. Right next to it is Dresden and while not really a major city still big enough to have fun there and easily accessible by car.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was looking at rail bookings from Paris to Brussels on TGV using the rail europe site. Any idea why sometimes the first class price (Comfort) is lower than the second class price (Economy)? In one case it was $69 vs. $73.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

hbf posted:

Is it possible you went to Sidreria Petretegi? http://petritegi.com/en.html

Also, not sure about your exact itinerary, but the EuskoTren between San Sebastian and Bilbao is pretty cool and very comfortable. Cheap way to get between the cities too.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

PT6A posted:

I'm headed there on May 19-23, if I come across any must-dos I'll let you know.

awesome, thanks!

FaceEater posted:

Is it possible you went to Sidreria Petretegi? http://petritegi.com/en.html

Also, not sure about your exact itinerary, but the EuskoTren between San Sebastian and Bilbao is pretty cool and very comfortable. Cheap way to get between the cities too.

hmm, I don't think it was that exact place, but seemed similar. Thanks for the link.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

actionjackson posted:

I was looking at rail bookings from Paris to Brussels on TGV using the rail europe site. Any idea why sometimes the first class price (Comfort) is lower than the second class price (Economy)? In one case it was $69 vs. $73.

The same thing happens on Deutsche Bahn sometimes, and simply has to do with the availability of budget tickets. They probably ran out of reduced 2nd class tickets, but have some 1st class tickets left, which is why it's marginally cheaper to buy first class.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

All transportation is priced by magic, as far as I can tell, regardless of country or method. Why was a business class ticket on British Airways half the price of a premium economy ticket on my flight from LHR-YYC? We may never know, but it happened. Also, to upgrade my outbound flight from PE to business class would cost nearly twice as much as I paid for both tickets together!

I suppose there must be reasons, but I can't fathom what they might be.

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

So I'm planning a two-week trip in June with a friend. The aim is to fly somewhere, travel some, end the trip in Geneva (because his girlfriend works there) and then fly home. We're trying to keep our expenses minimal, although I realise that the following itinerary consists of fairly expensive countries. Here's what we've planned so far:

June 2: Arrive in Amsterdam in the morning
June 3: Amsterdam
June 4: Amsterdam
June 5: Travel to The Hague in the morning
June 6: The Hague
June 7: Travel to Antwerp in the morning
June 8: Antwerp
June 9: Travel to Luxembourg in the morning, arrival at 2 pm
June 10: Luxembourg
June 11: Early bus to Trier, arrive at 8 am, then at 5 pm take a bus to Strasbourg
June 12: Strasbourg
June 13: Travel to Lyon in the evening
June 14: Lyon
June 15: Travel to Geneva in the morning
June 16: Geneva
June 17: Fly home

It's quite packed, but most of the trips between cities are a couple of hours at most, so we still get a half day's worth of exploring. I understand that the goonpinions on Amsterdam and Antwerp are good, but what about the others? Are any of these places really boring or just lovely in general? Any alternative suggestions, if so? We like old town centers, architecture and historical stuff, good food and beer (on a budget).

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Paper Clip Death posted:

It's quite packed, but most of the trips between cities are a couple of hours at most, so we still get a half day's worth of exploring. I understand that the goonpinions on Amsterdam and Antwerp are good, but what about the others? Are any of these places really boring or just lovely in general? Any alternative suggestions, if so? We like old town centers, architecture and historical stuff, good food and beer (on a budget).

Luxembourg is pretty boring, you could spend those 2 days elsewhere and not be so rushed. Luxembourg has a mediocre art museum that's housed in a neat piece of architecture, and their old city looks kind of cool thanks to Vauban and a gorge, so I guess it might still be up your alley. The American cemetery there, right next to the airport, has General Patton but I imagine when I went there in virgin snow was a lot more powerful than it would be in mid summer. Going to Trier for one day when you have a bunch of luggage to haul around will be a PITA and you'll, most likely, be exhausted. Probably there's somewhere in a train station you can drop off your stuff, but even so.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

actionjackson posted:

In addition to general magic, those lower price 1st class ones might also not be refundable/flexible.
I've booked a lot of Thalys and TGV tickets over the past few years, and changeable/refundable tickets have a markup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Paper Clip Death posted:

So I'm planning a two-week trip in June with a friend. The aim is to fly somewhere, travel some, end the trip in Geneva (because his girlfriend works there) and then fly home. We're trying to keep our expenses minimal, although I realise that the following itinerary consists of fairly expensive countries. Here's what we've planned so far:

June 2: Arrive in Amsterdam in the morning
June 3: Amsterdam
June 4: Amsterdam
June 5: Travel to The Hague in the morning
June 6: The Hague
June 7: Travel to Antwerp in the morning
June 8: Antwerp
June 9: Travel to Luxembourg in the morning, arrival at 2 pm
June 10: Luxembourg
June 11: Early bus to Trier, arrive at 8 am, then at 5 pm take a bus to Strasbourg
June 12: Strasbourg
June 13: Travel to Lyon in the evening
June 14: Lyon
June 15: Travel to Geneva in the morning
June 16: Geneva
June 17: Fly home

Trying to visit eight cities in 13 days is dumb. Cut 3 of them out and spread those days between the remaining places.