Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

KirbyJ posted:

A friend of mine has challenged me to run a few fantasy demos, and the first game on the list is Dungeon World. I'm a little nervous because while I have read a few PBTA games, this is the first time one is going to hit the table.

The OP looks like it will help a lot, but it's fairly old so I was wondering if anyone could touch on significant things that have happened to the game since then. Any other tips or ideas welcome as well. Thanks in advance!

From my experience with GMing dungeon world, the main thing is don't be afraid to freestyle it a lot. The system kind of requires it of you. And don't be afraid to ask players for incidental details. The system is very freeform,

Encourage your players to not make a roll then decide what they're going to do, that's really annoying. Ask them what they're doing then pick what they're rolling based on that. It's kind of a hard habit for people to break cause usually in like D&D you're rolling a specific move cause everything is its own move. Here you act and then you roll based on the action.

If you're GMing in person bring some paper where you can sketch out a basic map in situations that need it. Like everything in this game is pretty abstract but sometimes if you're trying to convey a specific scene, like an obstacle or a room layout, it can be really helpful to have a basic diagram because some stuff is hard to describe properly when you're speaking.

Also bear in mind that combat in this system isn't the time sink it is in other games, whereas like a good obstacle can be fodder for a whole session, and the system works in such a way that if you think up good hijinks for people loving up on beating the obstacle, it can be a whole session without being boring and frustrating.

When it comes to combat, although there is no formal initiative order, it's a good idea to as GM keep in mind who has been acting in what order so that people don't get left out or hog the spotlight. When one action is complete just think to yourself 'who hasn't acted in a while?'. There's also a lot fewer stats associated with combat, so it's easier to drop in new monsters on the fly, given that all you really need to think of is their damage die and their HP total. Anything like a petrifying gaze you can convey using the existing moves or just narratively, e.g. 'A medusa is trying to turn you into stone, what do you do?' 'Uuuh, I try to quickly cover my eyes' 'Roll defy danger with dexterity to cover your eyes fast enough' then if they fail you turn them into stone etc. Not everything needs to have explicit rules for it, just what sounds reasonable or fun to you and the players.

I've GMed games with 3.5, 13th age and dungeon world, and imo dungeon world is the most enjoyable system I've used. I don't need to do a shitload of prep for it as a GM (although a basic framework always helps) and I'm not the sole storyteller in the session. The way stuff like Defy Danger work is that if your player can reasonably argue for how they can use a stat to avoid danger, and you buy that at all, they can do. And that's fun, it's encouraging roleplaying and imagining what a character is doing rather than just looking down your list of skills and seeing whats best. Sometimes not having that rigid framework can be jarring, but I've found it to overall be a blessing. I can decide to run a session and then run a session that very evening without having to do hours of prep.

Also, for anyone interested, The Slasher playbook is more-or-less done. What we've tried to do with it is encourage and reward people for playing like slashers, and I'm curious to see how well people feel we did on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Other folks have mentioned it but I'll say it too: remember that the order of things is: (1) players describe the action (2) you all decide if a move is triggered (3) you roll some dice. Don't let people roll before they describe what they're doing and don't let them name the move they're making then narrate the action it 'lets' them do: it works the other way around.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Hi everybody!

I'm a bit behind in the thread, but I got a Google Docs request to view an outdated version of The Gallant playbook in the last couple days. I wanted to be sure the link in the OP is the right one and has the right permissions... Is the link in the OP working for everybody?

If not, it can be replaced by this slightly different (but should be equivalent) one: The Gallant

Thanks! And sorry for any inconvenience.

[edit]
vvvvv Thanks!

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 13, 2015

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Yup, worked for me. You can always test this (I think) by logging out of Google and trying the link. I believe everyone can download a public document from Drive, even without an account.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Is there a playbook anywhere with a good move to represent grappling/strangling something? I'm writing a little playbook for everyone's favourite bendy weirdo, the Choker, and I want to see how other people have handled similar concepts.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I've written up a Redcap playbook if anyone wants to take a look or wants to give me any feedback on it. I'm currently sorting the advanced moves into the 2-5 and 6-10 brackets so if stuff seems out of place its cause I wrote em in a huge list and I'm moving them round.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I've written up a Redcap playbook if anyone wants to take a look or wants to give me any feedback on it. I'm currently sorting the advanced moves into the 2-5 and 6-10 brackets so if stuff seems out of place its cause I wrote em in a huge list and I'm moving them round.

I have not read the 6 - 10 moves, since it is time to go to work, but I love this class.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Getting righteously hyped to roll out with DW for VTT, I ran what was the second session for a group last night--the first session having basically been a wholly blind dive into the game and its materials for pretty much everyone sight unseen last Friday. The first session had been a lot of fun, though as one might suspect since the lot of us were more used to typical D&D stylings and light dabbling in FATE, it was a bit... chaotic at times as we tried to get a feel for the rules.

In any event, I wanted to poke my head in here with some questions and recap hoping that some of you goodly folks might have some feedback and helpful pointers to get us more sorted out.

Our party for this little foray after the first session is:

Jack, the halfling Necromancer (grim world)
Tarn, the kobold Channeler (grim world) with an ice bend
Griff, the tusker Battlemaster (hey, grim world) and
Crag, the dwarf Monk

During the first session the lot of them were trucking through the wilderness in a dour downpour on a rickety mule-drawn wagon when they noticed eyes glowing at them from the wood, which they decided were the eyes of wolves while it was also posited they were kobolds. Soon after, a wolf-riding kobold sprang into action and had a slavering pack encircle the party to attack. Things went pretty quick and sensational in short order for a trial by fire; some of the highlights that spring to mind were Griff catching a wolf under the chin with his shield when it leapt at him then basically decapitating it with his warhammer, Crag squaring off with the wolf-riding kobold on the back of the cart (After the party unanimously decided the kobold was after Crag's bag of books for some reason)--only for an unwelcome reveal when he went to try and pummel the rider when he realized it was a fake kobold--and the real rider had slinked off to prepare a surprise under the cart.

Tarn made a dome of ice over the scene to block the rain out, froze himself in a block of ice when two wolves tried to charge him (knocking one out as it cracked its head into it full-bore) but began sinking into the mud from the weight of the ice. Griff ran to help Tarn while Jack's reanimated skinless dog tangled with one of the biggest wolves, and when Tarn was freed from the ice he caught sight of the kobold again after something that drew his eye--which he decided was a key which had fallen out of one of Crag's old books (which came from the monk's monestary, as it turns out.) The two of them wrestled a bit for that before Tarn tried to blast him with ice--only for the power to overwhelm him and fragment ice shards all over the place.

In the meantime, the biggest wolf on the cart went to leap over Crag towards Griff so that its rider could mount up and make an escape--Crag upper-cutted the wolf in the belly as it passed overhead, flipping it into the path of spraying freezing ice--which froze the soaked wolf near solid as it landed near Griff, who shattered it with his hammer. The kobold jumped onto the next nearest wolf when Jack's skinless dog couldn't quite find its mark, being a somewhat dottering reanimated corpse--and the kobold quickly made to bolt from the scene. Crag improvised a use of his bag of books to hurl one as a projectile at the kobold seeking to knock it off its mount--and though he didn't launch it clear, he toppled the kobold to be tangled up side-saddle in the saddlebags on the wolf before Griff moved to intercede, attempting to shield-check the kobold. Griff knocked it out of the park, pancaking the kobold all over his shield before bringing his warhammer to essentially anvil the poor bugger, which splattered it.

With the remaining wolves somewhat wary, Jack scooped up the head of the wolf Griff had beheaded earlier and then used it as a macabre hand-puppet with his necromancy--which was sufficient to frighten the rest of the pack and send them running. When questioned of the nature of the parchment the party found in the kobold's saddlebags, of course it was promptly agreed to be a crudely drawn map the kobold was toting, which the party sat down together to draw on the roll20 white board. It was decided the key of course was related and that they'd try it on every lock they found until it worked; Jack snacked on some brain matter from the kobold to glean insight into traps the kobold was mulling over at the map's locale (one of the necromancer moves) and that wrapped the first session.

So, second session rolls up and we have a short Q&A about the steading the gang came from, wherein it's determined that Baron Gotz has been heavily taxing the rich which has set the merchant guild out on a course to depose and or kill him in the near future, that they'd been hired by Gotz to search for the derelict hideout of two retired adventurers (I decided to take a stab at running with DW1 - Lair of the Unknown since I'd gotten it in a bundle of holding previously) in the hopes that it would help finance enough mercenaries and hired help to secure his territory against the guild--and make a nice payout for the seemingly inglorious adventurers that were the party. Along the way it was figured that kobolds were literally undermining the steading, which was located at the fork of two rivers upon which river pirates roamed. The derelict tower near town was decided to be where Jack had been a journeyman apprentice to another necromancer, which later became a good callback for more than a few well-explained Spout Lore checks.

So far so good. We briefly go over the perilous journey rules, which everyone completely flubs the roll for their roles such that the party's scout blunders them into the turf of an ominously large, shadowy mass observing them from the trees; Jack determines it to be a Tomb Spider, a fairly frightening foe--but also a very opportunistic one, which ominously leaves the party alone with the promise of later seizing an opportunity when they appear vulnerable.

The party arrived at their destination thanks to the map, used a few adventuring supplies to light up some torches and headed down into the entrance of the lair; there was cursory examination of some bas reliefs near the entrance, though everyone was consistently rolling horribly to the point that their fumbling about seemed to trigger some distant, foreboding moaning deeper within the lair. Paranoid, Tarn tried to use his channeler's ice powers to make an alarm trap, which we struggled to figure out how best to present mechanically for a bit (not the least of which because of struggling to describe how he was going to conjure up a suitably subtle but alarming trap) until eventually electing to try and freeze the ends of some string he had along the steps and suspend icy little bells from it. Pretty rough rolling continued and he eventually decided to leave it as it was and hope for the best.

Nevertheless, in the antechamber after the party quickly determined that a mirror on the wall was highly suspicious and fussed with it until they managed to force it open and reveal a secret passageway, which they promptly entered. Tarn discover a hidden mechanism for opening a secret door within one of the bas reliefs from the entrance, which he harvested for prime kobold trap components. Heading deeper into the secret passageway they soon came upon a laboratory with a black cat suspended in some strange liquid in a jar--but decidedly not pickled--which Jack quickly gathered up. Continuing his paranoia, Tarn formed an ice barrier to block up the doorway they'd just entered to slow down anything that might be pursuing them, such as a tomb spider or moaning undead, which he accomplished with a quick successful check of his channeling move to make a Barrier.

Discerning realities Jack blew the roll out of the park and had a sherlock-esque recounting of the lab's bashed in door not matching up with the scrapes on the floor, recognizing that it had been repositioned to where it currently leaned against the wall--and after Griff and Crag hauled the door aside, the party found signs that a bookshelf had been moved, which afforded them access to a secret passage into a secret wing of the laboratory. Here they found a long hall with one-way mirrors along the way into each of the adjoining rooms; in the second they spied a bear skin rug among tattered wreckage, which Jack immediately set to using his necromancy to animate. He rolled a 6-, however--the rug animated, but not under his control; tattered tapestries unraveled, decayed furnishings sprang about and the bearskin rug 'filled out' with rotten materials to become a more humanoid ghastly figure.

Thanks to the one-way mirror it didn't seem to notice the party, but to their alarm the rug proceeded to help itself to a suit of armor in the room before heading out of sight in the hall beyond; the newly minted 'bearcrow' became a worrisome feature on everyone's minds for the rest of the night as they wondered when they'd cross paths with it again. A few more mirrors and the party glimpsed a bed with a lumpy sheet over it, which Jack quickly concluded clearly had a corpse under it (which was actually a pretty powerful zombie lying in wait, though he did not know) and he attempted to animate it. He got a 7-9 and I had been unsure how to handle his necromancy on an already animate corpse, but decided to roll with it being him exerting some influence over it but not having direct control. After the party debated a bit, they elected to leave the zombie alone for now, but keep Jack's connection to it for later while they moved on.

More room searching, wherein a lot of folks kept discerning reality looking for valuables; after more than a few 6- and 7-9 checks I decided that all that moaning they'd heard much earlier finally came to a head, as their rummaging had gradually lured some wandering mutated zombies their way. I gave Crag a cue to see if he might notice one of the oncoming undead after telling him he heard some shuffling from the hall since he was closest to the door, which he rolled a 4 with discern realities--so as he leaned to get a look, there was a zombie right there which grabbed for him! This finally kicked us into the first active conflict in the session, which ended up chaining through a number of things; since this is already hugely long and also the part where I found the most uncertainty in how we handled things, I'll snippet it:

Crag's response to the zombie grab was to try and reverse the hold, which I decided was defying danger with dex for acting quickly (and since his monk was presented as being very agile and Precise, I figured this would play into his strength and let him do something cool to save his bacon.) He got a 7-9 and managed to avoid the thing's chomping and biting, but was also held up in trying to wrangle it--while noticing a second, weird half-slug zombie headed his way from the corridor.

We started what became a sort of ongoing 'dog-pile' effect where each beat of something happening, two or three people immediately wanted to do something; sometimes this resolved, but a lot of the time Tarn was immediately responding to every thread or obstacle, essentially, with 'I quickly erect an ice barrier to stop it' or 'I quickly blast it away from him with a spraying geyser' without prompting. Secondary to that, Tarn and Jack sort of fell into a mindset where they both wanted to approach every obstacle with attempting to either channel ice for Tarn or exert necromancy with Jack; we struggled a bit with how to handle this and winged it where we could (I prompted Jack with a few 'quick thinking' defy dangers when he tried to use his necromancy to stiffen the limbs of a zombie going after him, for instance--and after he'd noticed the undead seemed to have these crystals in their chest, he used his necromancy for a parley to try and get one to remove its own crystal, which I figured he had leverage for after making a control roll with his necromancy.)

Griff had trouble mostly on the fiction end, since he struggled to come up with descriptions and explanations for what he was trying to do--and kept defaulting to 'I throw him out of the way and block with my shield' essentially in defending the other party members repeatedly. Crag on the other hand was seeking out various martial arts maneuvers to try and cripple and otherwise incapacitate enemies; most of the time I figured on this being hack and slash with the fiction presenting the results (e.g. trying to slide-check to knock foes over while hurting them, etc.) but I know we had a few times where it split between hack and slash + defend or hack and slash + defy danger--e.g. a lot of trying to deal extensive harm but avoid risks. I feel that we got a little bit bogged down during some of the fighting trying to figure out how things sorted out--and found some folks fell into recycling roughly the same action in-fiction once they'd figured out how it panned out on the mechanical side (such as Tarn's falling back on erecting ice barriers all over the place when people were being attacked.)

I endeavored to present a few hard choices in some of the setups along the way, though some of them ended up being easy choices for the folks in question; at one point they'd opened a door to a room full of dangerous fungal monsters, two of which quickly tottered over to rush the party; Jack tried to defy danger throwing the door shut but rolled like a 2, so the door was cludged up; Griff plugged himself into the doorway to block it up as Crag came to try to help Jack get the door shut and Tarn went back to trying to prevent the rest of the room full of monsters from doing anything with ice barriers; eventually they'd gotten a 7-9 to get the passage closed after Griff ate some rough attacks plugging the gap--and Jack defied danger with quick thinking to toss out a wolf corpse from one of his canopic jars to try and distract the carnivorous fungus monsters in the room. Jack got a choice of getting the door closed quickly enough to keep any of the remaining monsters from slipping by at the cost of endangering Griff or keeping Griff safe from further immediate harm while letting two of the monsters through and chose for Griff to take the damage pretty promptly--partly because Jack's player generally relishes chances to give Griff's player grief.

Afterward they were able to quickly sort out the fungus that was left with them and wanted to prevent the other monsters from getting out of the room. Folks weren't quite sure what / if there was something mechanical to sort it out and loosely agreed on it being another endeavor to defy danger, albeit slightly less immediate; fiction-wise, they were satisfied with hauling a giant chest they'd emptied earlier next to the door and then using Tarn's channeling to fill it with ice to weigh it down considerably more next to the door. Jack revisited the zombie from earlier, exerting his necromancy to parley it into removing the controlling crystal, which succeeded with flying colors and re-deadified the zombie (which the party figured to be the famous adventurer's reanimated mistress.) Once she was deadified again, Jack re-re-animated her so that he had a humanoid zombie on call finally.

In the last stretch, the party found their way to a heavy iron door with a pretty solid lock. Tarn elected to try and circumvent it by funneling water into the lock and then freezing it, which was sensible fiction-wise but we lightly debated what he ought to roll for it. Since his channeling and Jack's necromancy both inherently kip off of their best stat, it just felt a bit lacklustre to have so many circumstances come down to what are generally going to be their strongest rolls. On the flipside, Jack and Tarn's players were decisively more 'active' in the fiction and otherwise than Crag and Griff--and by the end of the session from misses along the two of them had almost double the XP marked from Crag and Griff, which was a bit disorienting for the players since basically half the party was going to level up and the other half wasn't.

In any event, the 'finale' of the night--the lock was busted, Griff hauled the door open and beyond the party revealed the Zombie King with his scary magic golden sword, who promptly bolted to try and run Griff through. We got pretty tangled here because everyone wanted to do something every time the zombie king did anything, sometimes multiple somethings--but framing-wise we're talking Griff in the doorway to a narrow chamber with the party bunched up behind him, which made it somewhat awkward. Crag ended up slide-tackling between Griff's legs to get under and past the zombie king and after some initial scuffling they managed to move the melee in a bit and free folks up; the Zombie King hit like a truck (b[2d10+2] forceful and messy) so the party quickly fell into leaning heavily on setting up defends for each other, which worked out pretty well for them (spending their hold to halve that brutal damage helped tremendously, for instance.) Jack called in his zombie lady to try and engage the zombie king as well. Crag had managed to surprise the distracted zombie king to kick out the back of a knee, so I let him just roll damage instead of calling for hack and slash, which he rolled pretty solidly on--so the zombie king was staggered with a busted up leg.

The Zombie King has a move suggesting he likes to try and sever limbs, so I endeavored to build up to that in the fiction a bit before busting it out as it became more and more apparent that his ferocity was intensifying and he was out to start hewing limbs. This culminated after Tarn interjected himself in the Zombie King's way when Griff was in bad shape after soaking up a good twenty damage all told; Tarn scored a 6- soon after in defying danger to endure the blow (wreathing ice over himself to try and harden and protect himself) so I presented him with a hard choice that was initially essentially 'he cuts off your arm' vs. 'he cuts off your tail with a more severe side effect, but you still have your arm' (it's notable that one of the basic things the Necromancer can do is sew limbs back on to restore their functionality, so that is a backdrop to this limb severing) but that wasn't really much of a choice (I honestly forget the exact way it was framed initially altogether;) what I ended up offering instead amounted to 'you can take full damage, or you can take half damage plus the weak debility') He went with the half + weak debility.

Crag went after the zombie king's other knee, but this time ZK was aware of him and pissed so we went to hack and slash. Crag rolled 10+ but elected to take an attack for bonus damage to make sure he'd ruin the other knee--and in full-on ferocity mode the ZK was out for blood and attacked him for damage outright. Crag took a pretty brutal hit, but delivered one of his own--leaving both knees broken up and held together by raw undead hate, if barely. By now, Griff had 4 gambit racked up, which is the big mechanic for the battlemaster. Still struggling with fiction vs. mechanics a bit, we ran into what folks have probably experienced with the Grim World playbooks before where the player basically knew the mechanic they wanted to do and was trying to justify it in the fiction. On paper, Battlemasters are supposed to be supreme tacticians and the whole thing they build up to are executing these elaborate plans / ruses / tactics etc. as they accrue gambit from things happening to their allies. We had a bit of a brief discussion about fiction-first then mechanics, etc. and sort it out.

We eventually conclude what felt like a nicely rhub-goldbergian stratagem from everything going on in the room: Tarn's continual ice channeling had been dropping the temperature and leaving ice everywhere--and it was then that the party collectively noticed that they'd basically frozen the ZK's feet to the floor; Jack's zombie went down on all fours behind the ZK and Griff bullrushed into him with his shield full-bore to cast momentum toward the waiting Crag. Some rolls hit solidly, the ZK's knees broke off entirely and he was launched to Crag who seized him and swept him into a DDT--smashing his crowned head into a pulp on the floor and ending the fight decisively. Pretty gnarly.

Party opened the little chest by the ZK's throne with shriveled up bodies near it and it started spouting acidic gas (What do you do?) Griff, Jack and Crag kip to just 'I get out of the room' and defy danger with dex, but Griff and Crag get 7-9; the acidic gas is set to deal armor-ignoring damage and cause blindness, so I figure the three of them will take the damage but avoid the blindness. Jack got a 6- but also had a pretty hilariously brilliant solution to the blindness--his Necromancy hexed body part was his eye, leading to this exchange:

"The acidic gas may blind you." "I'm going to think quickly and put my eyes in my pockets."

Fair enough, Jack. Fair enough.

We agree to resolve the hard choice involved by having his newly minted zombie lady take the brunt of the acidic spray, melting his minion but affording him the chance to safely stow his eyeballs in his pockets momentarily, much to the gross out of most involved. (Don't know what they expected from the evil halfling necromancer with Crazy Eyes, Long White Hair, a Boneshirt and Stitch Lines.)

Tarn, still wanting to try and handle everything with channeling, opted that he wanted to rain ice to try and disperse the cloud so that it wouldn't do anything to him; I figured this was more defying danger, he ended up in 7-9 so he took the damage but not the potential blindness. Party got some treasure from the box which we winged a bit, including some special valuable corpse-powders Jack could get some swank use out of later. They also found a randomly rolled 'minor magical trinket' which I described as a cloak fasten shaped like a gauntlet-clad fist but we couldn't decided what it did as of yet. Somewhat more quarrelsome is the golden sword: straight out of DW1 Lair of the Uknown, it's a magic blade that if you expend a spell on it, until next sunrise it is +2 damage, ignores armor and is forceful. Uhhh, holy poo poo? Well, nobody in the party has spells per say and even paring it back a bit, we weren't really sure what to do with it, so it's still up in the air as a magic golden longsword.

Party shored up in the bathroom and Made Camp, we fumbled with trying to figure out whether some bonds were 'resolved' or not during the session and even after everyone 'resolved' a bond apiece and made new ones, Crag and Griff were still only halfway to their first level as Jack and Tarn leveled up. We left off there, with more peril impending for next time.

Great googly moogly this ended up being a long post--but any thoughts or insights folks might have for this sprawly mess would be greatly appreciated!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Teonis posted:

I have not read the 6 - 10 moves, since it is time to go to work, but I love this class.

Thanks very much! Someone made some really helpful edits to it with regards to grammar and fitting in better with the dungeon world style of writing moves, I dunno if it was you but thanks a ton to whoever it was.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Thanks very much! Someone made some really helpful edits to it with regards to grammar and fitting in better with the dungeon world style of writing moves, I dunno if it was you but thanks a ton to whoever it was.

That was likely me. On my breaks at work I like to edit google docs. lol. I didn't get very far, but I'll leave comments on the Doc with things I notice. I like using Docs more than leaving comments in a thread or reply because the organization you get from making comments and suggestions.

I really want to make some classes of my own, but getting started is the hardest part for me. But I like to think I'm pretty good at editing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
So uh, hey
back in February I posted up a draft of a Mage playbook I've been working on for awhile.

Well I have another draft ready to go (this time I'm not bothering to put it in playbook template).

I wanted to try my hand at a freeform magic system that let you be as creative as possible but still limited enough not to trivialize everything. So I devised the current version where your magic is dependent on a short list of Verbs, which in turn determine roughly what you're able to do. I think it scratches my Mage/Ars Magica/Unknown Armies itch pretty well, while also slotting into DW.

Now I just need to find a way to playtest this. :v:
PS. obviously the art is just for fun and setting the mood, if I actually publish this I'll get legit art for it.

EDIT: comments, questions, suggestions always welcome!

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 20, 2015

unwirklich
Apr 9, 2015
Love the way your class is going. Here are some thoughts.

- Usually with free-form effects there is some form of mitigation built in. Core Book Ritual: "Yes, you can do this, but it's going to be expensive." Gnome's Mage also requires you to set a price, even on a 10+.

- For a real Unknown Armies feel, there needs to be a stronger price tag attached to your magic. For example: Have strong magic, but to get Mana you will have to cut your face apart (lose permanent points in Charisma) or fully give yourself over to the mystic chaos ("I step right into the ogre's path and open my arms to hug him.").

- I love the way you burn bonds to become stronger at magic. I'm a little concerned about lone-wolf characters here. The bonds are there as an aid to create group cohesion and drama and ultimately an emotionally satisfying story. (I know the official Immolator has a mechanic like this, but it only triggers in extreme circumstances. Your Adept Mage probably wants to Burn Bridges as soon as he possibly can.) Maybe you can instead have reality fight back. GM holds 3 per session and has three free hard moves again you as reality throws Paradox at its rapist.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

It seems to me like the class deals too much damage. As long as the red-cap makes a succesful attack from above or on a downed opponent:
Lvl 1: 1d8 (damage die) + 1 (Stomping preference) + 58% chance of +1d6 (Stomping boots)
Lvl 2: as lvl1 + 1d6 (Spiky boots)

That's a shitload of damage in return for some easily acquired fictional requirements (I climb on my buddy's shoulders and jump on their face!)

Two of the starting moves are obvious draw-backs to offset this damage, but they are very dull. A lvl 1 Redcap can be summed up as follows:
- don't enter civilization
- make at least one kill per day
- you can deal more damage than the Fighter

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

theroachman posted:

It seems to me like the class deals too much damage. As long as the red-cap makes a succesful attack from above or on a downed opponent:
Lvl 1: 1d8 (damage die) + 1 (Stomping preference) + 58% chance of +1d6 (Stomping boots)
Lvl 2: as lvl1 + 1d6 (Spiky boots)

That's a shitload of damage in return for some easily acquired fictional requirements (I climb on my buddy's shoulders and jump on their face!)

Two of the starting moves are obvious draw-backs to offset this damage, but they are very dull. A lvl 1 Redcap can be summed up as follows:
- don't enter civilization
- make at least one kill per day
- you can deal more damage than the Fighter

I did have some similar thoughts about static bonuses to damage. I think the preferences should have narrative bonuses, even if it is something as simple as spiky boots are messy, and when you grind your heels and brace yourself, you cannot be moved by mundane means.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I based it off the thief, whose backstabbing has slightly easier narrative requirements with no drawbacks. They also get a +1d6 backstab damage move available at level 2.

I mean, I'm not responding with a 'no gently caress you my class is perfect', I might want to make the narrative requirements more specifically worded, and I've also been thinking of making the preferences into combined alignment+race things, and more interesting.

edit: now that i'm home and not typing on a phone I can be a bit more detailed.

While I was designing the class I looked at primarily the fighter and thief, because I felt like a murderous fey should fall somewhere between the two, lacking the tankiness of the fighter and the wider utility of the thief, but making up for it with slightly more damage and some more interesting, weird moves.

Now the fighter, at level 1 deals 1d10 base damage, potentially +2 (or effectively +3 if they pick piercing 2 and +1 damage and are fighting an armoured foe) depending on which signature weapon enhancements they chose, which gives them a minimum of 3 damage and a max of 12. A redcap with the stomping speciality deals d8 +1 +d6 if they make their stompy boots attack, which comes out of a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 15. The redcap's average damage is likely to be higher, but they also start with lower HP and 1 or 2 (depending on fighter item choices) less armour, and dealing that damage has a narrative requirement.

At level 2 the redcap can gain an additional +1d6 for stompy boots, whereas the fighter can gain a +1d4 applied to all their attacks, or they can pick an additional enhancement for their weapon and gain piercing or another guaranteed point of damage.

Vs the thief, the redcap has the same base damage, base health, base armour and a very similar backstab-style move, so a d8+d6 for lv1 stompy boots/backstab damage, but the redcap gains a +1 bonus to damage that the thief doesn't have. The thief, though, has access to poisons, and potentially 3 free uses per day of a poison that lets them reroll damage against a target and take the higher of the two. They also have tricks of the trade, trap expert and flexible morals, which aren't damage abilities so I'll discount them here.

At level 2 the thief can gain an additional +1d6 to backstab when using a precise weapon (and what thief wouldn't?), so the same as the redcap. The difference is that later the thief can upgrade that to dirty fighter, which is a +1d8 on backstabs and a +1d4 on all other attacks. The redcap's melee attacks and boot attacks are segregated in terms of bonuses, the only upgrade to stompy boots after spiky boots I could think of is if the redcap applied Jack in the Box to Stompy boots by leaping out of a really high up cupboard and kicking someone in the face, and at that point I feel they deserve it.

Also with the redcap's drawbacks, they're not explicitly as harsh as you've got them down. Redcaps aren't forbidden from entering civilization, it's just that people don't like them. It's up to the GM basically how this is played, but my mental image was like, yeah, in a big city if you enter undisguised the guards are probably going to be called, but in a small hamlet it might wind up being an advantage being able to terrify people with your presence.

I've rewritten the cap-dipping part slightly too after reading the way you read it, I'd altered it previously from a system where you gained Blood hold by dipping your cap in stuff, then could spend that hold to do stuff. I cut it because it was just extra guff to manage, but in rewriting it I made the starvation penalty harsher unintentionally by requiring you to kill every day. I've changed it to just require the blood of a warm-blooded creature you've killed to stave off starvation, but only sentient creatures count for the HP bonus tally. If you're smart enough to think of bringing a couple of survival piglets into a dungeon of undead so you can stave off blood-starvation, I think you deserve it.

I'm writing this mostly with the intent of showing my working on the class, rather than some sort of grognardy rebuttal that says you're super wrong or something, so I'm definitely very interested in hearing where people differ from me in how they'd work things out, as I'm new to the whole class-designing game and I'm looking for advice.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 20, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

unwirklich posted:

Love the way your class is going. Here are some thoughts.

- Usually with free-form effects there is some form of mitigation built in. Core Book Ritual: "Yes, you can do this, but it's going to be expensive." Gnome's Mage also requires you to set a price, even on a 10+.
I'm gonna re-examine this. but as it is, the main mitigation is via consequences in the fiction. eg. making everyone in the room sleep gives the GM an opportunity for a hard move.
For directly mechanical stuff like combat, I have it noted that you just deal your damage, which is an inbuilt limit. As someone else pointed out elsewhere, the damage is fine versus people and monsters but "The most you can do to the city is [your] max damage, which means little to something like a city."

quote:

- For a real Unknown Armies feel, there needs to be a stronger price tag attached to your magic. For example: Have strong magic, but to get Mana you will have to cut your face apart (lose permanent points in Charisma) or fully give yourself over to the mystic chaos ("I step right into the ogre's path and open my arms to hug him.").
This is where I'm gonna hide behind "inspired by, but not specifically aiming to emulate". The basic mechanic to cast magic is Will (Mana), and because of the 'Chaotic' nature of magic you have to roll for it, and can only do so in a safe, quiet place (Make Camp) and even so, your Will is going to range from 2-5. (the max you can hold at a time is 7, because I didn't want the player to lose what they've gained (since it's swingy) but even so it'll take about most of a session (from one Make Camp to the Next) to be able to hit that cap, and even then only if you roll well, and only use Will sparingly.

This is the only way you get Will (until a 6-10 move, that increases the Will you get through meditating (which itself requires the 2-5 move that does similar), and also grants you 1 Will when you roll 12+ on a move.

quote:

- I love the way you burn bonds to become stronger at magic. I'm a little concerned about lone-wolf characters here. The bonds are there as an aid to create group cohesion and drama and ultimately an emotionally satisfying story. (I know the official Immolator has a mechanic like this, but it only triggers in extreme circumstances. Your Adept Mage probably wants to Burn Bridges as soon as he possibly can.) Maybe you can instead have reality fight back. GM holds 3 per session and has three free hard moves again you as reality throws Paradox.

Great point, I'm thinking of making this a function of the End of Session or Level Up moves, making it so it takes time to reach full power. (you'd be level 4 if you're going full disconnect.)
One part of this that I forgot to add to the text is that a burned bond can never be used again, so that limits and eventually eliminates one source of XP, explicitly limiting how fast you grow and adapt to the world. (hopefully the tradeoff of increased power, makes it not so much of a dick move to do this.)
But I do think I need to make burning a bond "hurt" a little more as well. Your point about GM holds 3 for Paradox is giving me some ideas...

I'm also responding in detail, not in any way trying to refute anything, but to nail down the spots where "how I want this class to work" is different from "how the class works based on reading it."

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 20, 2015

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

*snip*

If you're smart enough to think of bringing a couple of survival piglets into a dungeon of undead so you can stave off blood-starvation, I think you deserve it.

I'm writing this mostly with the intent of showing my working on the class, rather than some sort of grognardy rebuttal that says you're super wrong or something, so I'm definitely very interested in hearing where people differ from me in how they'd work things out, as I'm new to the whole class-designing game and I'm looking for advice.

No worries, I'm not taking it as a rebuttal. I didn't provide any info on how I would change the class because I was (and am- phoneposting as well. If I get a chance I'll provide more constructive criticism. In any case, I want to mention that bringing a bag of pigs or chickens along to an undead dungeon sounds very annoying to me. I give my players enough credit to not consider thinking of that as 'smart'. It's a cheaty solution to a drawback of the class, a hoop you need to jump through. Plus it carries the risk of starting an arms race between the player and the GM, because the GM doesn't want it to be a permanent solution. ("Oops, they're all sold out of chickens in this town." - "ok, are there any beggars on the street? Preferably children" etc.) I think class drawbacks should serve not just to keep the power in check, but -more importantly- to provide roleplaying opportunities. Look at the Paladin's Quest move for instance. It provides drawbacks (must tell the truth at all times) that give the GM and _all_ the players excellent fuel to use in their in-character conversations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

theroachman posted:

No worries, I'm not taking it as a rebuttal. I didn't provide any info on how I would change the class because I was (and am- phoneposting as well. If I get a chance I'll provide more constructive criticism. In any case, I want to mention that bringing a bag of pigs or chickens along to an undead dungeon sounds very annoying to me. I give my players enough credit to not consider thinking of that as 'smart'. It's a cheaty solution to a drawback of the class, a hoop you need to jump through. Plus it carries the risk of starting an arms race between the player and the GM, because the GM doesn't want it to be a permanent solution. ("Oops, they're all sold out of chickens in this town." - "ok, are there any beggars on the street? Preferably children" etc.) I think class drawbacks should serve not just to keep the power in check, but -more importantly- to provide roleplaying opportunities. Look at the Paladin's Quest move for instance. It provides drawbacks (must tell the truth at all times) that give the GM and _all_ the players excellent fuel to use in their in-character conversations.

I hear you on that, I can't settle on how I want it to be. The dipping the cap in blood is really the main unchangeable part of the redcap myth, and I want that to be a good roleplaying drive for the character, along with redcaps just liking to kill, but I also don't want to totally gently caress someone over if they're in a campaign featuring not all that many living creatures.

I mean, it's kind of an extreme example, and it did end up being very entertaining, but a friend ran a (great) campaign that was totally golem based, and without realising that was the case me and another played made undead characters for it, him a vampire and me a mummy. As a mummy it just wound up that I couldn't really curse people, and beyond that I was strong and tough as gently caress, but the vampire guy was pretty boned. It worked out being really funny cause we were basically just regular guys (in his case an increasingly hungry regular guy) but I imagine that same situation could end up really frustrating for someone.

So I want to maintain a mechanic that requires the redcap to dip their cap in blood in a regular basis, in part because it's in the myth but also in part so they're encouraged to behave like a redcap. I don't know if what I have currently is great for that.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

So I want to maintain a mechanic that requires the redcap to dip their cap in blood in a regular basis, in part because it's in the myth but also in part so they're encouraged to behave like a redcap. I don't know if what I have currently is great for that.

Instead of the HP thing (which I also think isn't a great idea to add on to HP like that) what about making it more literally about sutenance? Like the Druid move 'By nature sustained' where, as long as you regularly dip your cap in blood, you can ignore any move that requires you to mark a ration, and you don't have to carry rations.

Maybe expand this to include the "life energy" of other things; oil for mechanical things, or ash for undead or whatever, make the "red" part of redcap a poetic thing rather than literal. Edit: make the "get power from something other than blood" a 2-5 advanced move, call it "Blood from a Stone."

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 20, 2015

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
What if instead of it being an advanced move, you make the class's alignment moves something like:

What is your motivation?

Malice: Paint your cap with the blood of an innocent bystander.

Jealousy: Paint your cap with the blood of someone who had something you wanted.

Caprice: Paint your cap with the blood of someone who trusted you.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

Keep in mind that the player chose to play your class. You don't need to force them to do anything, they want to do it anyway! That said, you can provide the redcap character with mechanical or narrative advantages when they dip their cap. Perhaps they look more threatening or intimidating. Perhaps the blood acts as some sort of trophy, allowing limited use of moves that are related to who the blood belonged to. Perhaps the cap is alive and feeds on the blood, providing the fey with insights or wisdom. You can go in a lot of directions with this.

unwirklich
Apr 9, 2015
I created the Orc Medic. (For sale on DTRPG, but goons drink for free.)
And now I am building the Tomb Warden. A lawful-good necromancer. A paladin aided by the ghosts of the dead.

Any feedback, comments and questions on either of those classes or the lessons I need to learn in general are highly welcome. :)

Edit: Links updated, incorporating chaos rhames' feedback.
Edit2: Tomb Warden updated taking WiredNavi's advice.

unwirklich fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 22, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Amateur opinions on the Orc Medic:

-There's a formatting error pushing the Stitchy commands onto the second page.
-Medicine Man seems wierd as a background. Maybe make it related to Spout Lore rather than a free point of XP each game.
-Operation! could do with a stated consequence of some sort for <7 rolls, I'm not really sure what'll happen. Often with those lists all the things happen, but only some follow that "you don't" formula here. I'd keep the mix since it makes an interesting tradeoff.
-Nothing about operating on yourself, which seems fairly orcy.
-It's pretty cool otherwise.
-surprised there aren't any warhammer references I noticed

Tomb Warden:
-Mention in the start of the Ghost Powers section that it uses fury, it was kind of hard to pick up on.
-Ghosts being silent is kind of limiting, maybe make it so you can hear them, but nobody else can.
-wisdom of the past should say 7-9 rather than 6-9

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 21, 2015

unwirklich
Apr 9, 2015
Thank you so much for your feedback!

chaos rhames posted:

-There's a formatting error pushing the Stitchy commands onto the second page.
Good point. I messed around with the placing before it occured to me to lower the leading. Now it fits. I'm fixing this.

quote:

-Medicine Man seems wierd as a background. Maybe make it related to Spout Lore rather than a free point of XP each game.
Tried tapping into the Barbarian here. I am on the fence on this one as well, since it's not as atmospheric with the Orc Medic. I will have to brainstorm and see if I can come up with something better.

quote:

-Operation! could do with a stated consequence of some sort for <7 rolls, I'm not really sure what'll happen.
On a 6- the GM gets to make a hard move. As a consequence to a haphazard Orc Medicine Operation. Muhuahahaha!

quote:

Often with those lists all the things happen, but only some follow that "you don't" formula here. I'd keep the mix since it makes an interesting tradeoff.
That's why I put it in. You can pick more boni... if you are willing to pay the price. Or you can chicken out. Totally up to the players.

quote:

-Nothing about operating on yourself, which seems fairly orcy.
That is an awesome idea. Totally stealing it if you don't mind. I will see where I can build it in.

quote:

-It's pretty cool otherwise.
Thanks!

quote:

-surprised there aren't any warhammer references I noticed
I only played 40k so far. And "Dok" is one of the suggested names. :)

quote:

Tomb Warden:
-Mention in the start of the Ghost Powers section that it uses fury, it was kind of hard to pick up on.
Good point. Done. Updated the link.

quote:

-Ghosts being silent is kind of limiting, maybe make it so you can hear them, but nobody else can.
Hmm... Wanted to go for an Odd Thomas vibe here. Thanks for the suggestion. I will think about this one.

quote:

-wisdom of the past should say 7-9 rather than 6-9
Good catch! Fixed it.

WiredNavi
Jun 21, 2013

caw caw motherfuckers

unwirklich posted:

Hmm... Wanted to go for an Odd Thomas vibe here. Thanks for the suggestion. I will think about this one.

Maybe the ghosts' communication with you is limited in some way, and have a short list of suggestions? That would play up the 'speaking across the veil' nature of talking with ghosts but leave room for different themes (and allow the GM to tailor things a bit.) For instance, I like the idea of them being silent, but I think it'd also be cool to for ghosts to be just voices, heard but not seen, or have the Tomb Warden get flashes of insight and foreign memories in haunted areas, etc.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I've taken on board people's suggestions and made a bunch of edits, thanks for the input, the old link should still work but here it is again:
Redcap

I felt like Whybird's suggestion about the alignments was a great way to tie the idea of redcap advancement being based on wetting their cap without introducing a secondary system, and theroachman's point about not having to force players into playing like a redcap was a good one too. I dunno if the change I made to the cap move made it too good or anything, maybe it needs to be more conditional.

unwirklich
Apr 9, 2015

WiredNavi posted:

Maybe the ghosts' communication with you is limited in some way, and have a short list of suggestions? That would play up the 'speaking across the veil' nature of talking with ghosts but leave room for different themes (and allow the GM to tailor things a bit.) For instance, I like the idea of them being silent, but I think it'd also be cool to for ghosts to be just voices, heard but not seen, or have the Tomb Warden get flashes of insight and foreign memories in haunted areas, etc.

Awesome. I will built this in right away. Such an elegant solution!

I've taken on board people's suggestions and made a bunch of edits, thanks for the input, the old link should still work but here it is again:
Redcap

I felt like Whybird's suggestion about the alignments was a great way to tie the idea of redcap advancement being based on wetting their cap without introducing a secondary system, and theroachman's point about not having to force players into playing like a redcap was a good one too. I dunno if the change I made to the cap move made it too good or anything, maybe it needs to be more conditional.

Does good mean virteous or unbalanced? Because with alignments like those, this makes for a delightfully evil character!

The backgrounds ("preferences") are still a bit mechanical. You can easily put something like "Unseelie Hitman", "Mortal Entanglements" and "Gone Rogue". Or maybe something about the Redcap's nature. Backgrounds are also a great place to give weird tiny boni that don't really qualify for a full move. (Drink with someone to Parlay with CON! Don't consume rations when you are in nature / in the city! Anybody who respects the custom of minstrels will treat you like an honored guest!)

"Everybody Hates Redcaps" stops mid-sentence.

"Stomping Boots" is not overpowered IMHO. In this situation you'd be able to deal your damage anyway and (literally) rolling the dice to see if you can hurt them even more is a fair price to pay. That being said, maybe put in something extra fun. Instead of kicking them in the head, make it more vague to "Kick them where it really hurts!". Maybe that's just my inner 14 year old talking.

"It's not Dye" wants to be multiple moves. Just a nitpick, but splitting this in two will make it look more dungeon worldy. Hard to explain. Mechanics are fine and atmospheric on this one. (Am I the only one who can hear the Hannibal Lecter noise when reading this? Yes? Ok, moving on.)

Gear
Love the "plundered" part. Love the weapons. Love the items. They make decent plot hooks, too. ("What is it with you and horses?")

Bonds.
Good ones. Vague enough, specific enough. They show character and they compel action. Nothing to add.

"Hard to Pin Down." OMG. I love this one.
"I've Got Three Knives." drat you for stealing the ideas from my head that I didn't tell anyone about. ;-) (Is this a Discworld quote? If so, I tip my hat to you.)
"Wherever You (Don't) Want Me" Awesome.
"Et Two, Brute?" I know there was somebody complaining about the amount of damage the Redcap deals, but I don't see the issue. This is Viper's Strike from the Ranger.
"Spiky Boots" Might be a bit much over here though. 1d8+2d6+1 makes for an average of 12.5 damage. Judgment call. The average damage here is overkill on anyone but the end bosses. And being able to teleport-stomp them could give the class too much spot-light. Again judgment call.
"The Taste of Success" Ewww. Maybe go for a more cannibalistic perk. (Gain hold to use one of the monster's moves.) Also include a trigger warning in your class description, since describing this in detail would probably gross most players out.
"Ruins Dweller" Okay. Maybe add another Redcap-ish question to Discern Realities. ("Where are the corpses buried? Where is the best place for an ambush? Where did they stash the loot?")
"Jack-in-a-Box" Fitting in there is great. Getting the drop on people is great. Problem is that Stompy now has 1d8+3d6+1 (16 damage on average) and can conceivably one-shot-kill a dragon with his spiky boots. I recommend cutting the damage bonus and this is an awesome move.
"Gullet of Holding" Totally in love with that move. It's atmospheric, it's multipurpose and it's fun.
"Inescapable" Okay. Maybe add on foot, since I don't know if your Redcap is also going to be a fighter jet / motorboat.
"A Good Shove" Confusing. Either you get into a good shoving mood or... I don't know. Shoving somebody to get hold to shove somebody with the GM's permission is hard for me to understand.
"Piercing Laughter" This move is missing.
"Shared Misfortune" I don't know about this one. This sort of attacks group cohesion. As a murderous Redcap (and "Everybody Hates Redcaps"!) you are going to have enough problems to get people to work together with you. No need to press your luck in my opinion.
"Making a Mockery" I like this one. Having the Redcap mock somebody tough entertains everyone at the table.
"Corpse Craftmanship" Why would I want to do that? Why could I not already do that with one of the knives I have on me?
"Traces of Evil" I like it.

"Misery loves Company" The other thing about this move is that it stretches fiction quite a bit. "The orcs have heard you. You can hear one hundred pairs of boots running up the stairs!" - "I use my fae magic to share my misfortune with the orcs here." - "Ummm. So they are afraid of it too, I guess? Because they are now in trouble?"
To be able to do this on every 6- (and not to have a reason not to do it!) will get tiresome really quickly.
"Piggy Back Attack" You have one-shot-killed a dragon.
"A Sharp Poke" Okay.
"The Redcap's Favour" Neat.
"Selective Regurgitator" Awesome. :)
"Bamf" I guess so...

All in all a fun concept. Leave out the spot-light-hogging and the dickishness (to other players), crank up the already awesome creepiness and fun and this class will be a beauty.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
How about :

Killer Reputation
When you encounter a more reasonable breed of Fae than yourself (i.e. any), roll +CHA. On a 10+ choose one; on a 7-9 the GM chooses one.
* They are so afraid of you that they won't risk angering you.
* They are so afraid of you that they will ignore all other threats until you are dead.
* They are so afraid of you that they will do anything to get away from your immediate vicinity.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

unwirklich posted:

Awesome feedback

Thanks very much for all of this, it's highlighted some areas I do really need to rewrite or reconsider.

I think I need to make it more plain in writing some of the balancing factors I intended the powers to have. Like the stompy boots and normal melee are meant to be seperate things, so piggy-back attack would not gain any of the stompy boots stuff, so at maximum it's 8+4+1 damage (excluding any item bonuses), which against the dragon in the example would wind up being 8 damage, as a dragon has 5 armour. Still half a dragon's health, so I might either nudge the dice roll requirement up or change it to something like 'roll your damage twice and take the best result'.

With spiky boots, again I'm just going off the thief's progression in backstab damage from the core book. I kind of feel that if a guy wearing spiky iron boots gets a good stomp at your head you're probably going to die, unless you're made of sterner stuff than mortal men. I do kind of want to add some language in there to say it has to be actually a decent height if you're jumping onto someone, rather than just a leaping kick.

Jack-in-the-Box was intended to give a less-boot-focused redcap a decent damage boost, but yeah I think it works out as too much in concert with stompy boots. I'd intended, again, the balancing factor to be the fact there probably aren't really any tall cupboards to spring out of in a dragon's lair. I might change it to a bonus to the attack roll or again a roll twice and take the better damage thing.

A Good Shove is a move I've reworked a few times now, and I'm still not entirely happy with it. I wanted something that'd facilitate you opening people up to Stompy Boots, that'd build into the, IMO hilarious, situation of stabbing a dragon in the ankles till it falls over, then jumping up and down on its head. Initially it was basically just a 'roll str to push someone over' move, but that was basically just a rewrite of defy danger STR. I don't really know what to do with it.

Wherever You (Don't) Want Me is mostly balanced by the fact the GM is going to be the one to decide where the enemy really doesn't want you. I mean usually it'd be in a position to give you an advantage against them, but it could as equally be 'in the dragon's treasure hoard' or 'the queen's bedchamber'. What I really wanted with this class was to have great killing power tempered with the unpredictability of fey magic.

Corpse Craftsmanship I agree is a little weak at the moment. I intended more for it to add some sort of supernatural strength to the stuff you make, like normally bones wouldn't make very good climbing pitons, but you bridge the gap between fantasy and reality with your innate magic. Maybe I should add a bonus to rolls made using your gruesome adventuring kit?

Shared Misfortune is pretty much intended to be balanced by how much it's going to piss off your teammates. Like maybe the self-sacrificing paladin won't be too mad if you switch places with him after loving up a defy danger to avoid being punched in the face, but the wizard probably wouldn't feel the same. A lot of parties seem pretty cosmopolitan in who they include as friends, so I felt like it'd be nice to remind people now and then why Everyone Hates Redcaps.

Misery loves Company is, yeah, a bit much as it stands. I might change it to 'when you fail after rolling doubles' or add something about you having to explain how it makes any drat sense for it to work. Or both. Like if you gently caress up and drop your weapon I could see malign fate inflicting the same thing on an enemy, but your example, yeah, I can't think of much that makes sense there.

Piercing Laughter yeah, I left the heading but never though up a move for it.

I've rewritten some stuff and added other stuff you suggested, and yeah 'I've Got Three Knives' is a discworld quote haha.

Whybird posted:

How about :

Killer Reputation
When you encounter a more reasonable breed of Fae than yourself (i.e. any), roll +CHA. On a 10+ choose one; on a 7-9 the GM chooses one.
* They are so afraid of you that they won't risk angering you.
* They are so afraid of you that they will ignore all other threats until you are dead.
* They are so afraid of you that they will do anything to get away from your immediate vicinity.

This move is pretty sweet, I'm thinking of maybe adding it as an advanced move rather than a starting move?

Edit: Everyone's had really helpful stuff to say about the Redcap which I'm really grateful for, so I'm wondering if any of you'd be interested in passing an eye over my earlier playbook, The Slasher. It's effectively the barbarian/fighter to the redcap's rogue, inspired by all my favourite slasher movies and tropes.

I'm also working on another of my favourite movie archetypes, the alien invader. At the moment there's not enough content for it to be worth sharing, but it's hopefully gonna include aspects of mars attacks and the pod people, but leave some room for it to be used as not just the typical b-movie alien, but also cover extraplanar fantasy goobers.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 22, 2015

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
This move is pretty sweet, I'm thinking of maybe adding it as an advanced move rather than a starting move?

That's absolutely how I'd intended it. Maybe as a 6-10, since it is pretty good. I just love the idea of the Bowie-style King of the Fae twirling his glass contact juggling balls and being all "Welcome to my domain, foolish humans! Why, of course the Princess will be yours -- if, and only if, you can solve my gauntlet of devilishly fiendish riddles and OH HOLY poo poo IT'S STABS O'CONNAUGHEY KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE"

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Whybird posted:

That's absolutely how I'd intended it. Maybe as a 6-10, since it is pretty good. I just love the idea of the Bowie-style King of the Fae twirling his glass contact juggling balls and being all "Welcome to my domain, foolish humans! Why, of course the Princess will be yours -- if, and only if, you can solve my gauntlet of devilishly fiendish riddles and OH HOLY poo poo IT'S STABS O'CONNAUGHEY KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE"

If I ever play his redcap (and I'm sure I will), I'm calling him Stabs O'Connaughey.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The guys who did the excellent Servants of the Cinder Queen adventure and Funnel World (which adds the DCC funnel to the game) have a new KS up for a supplement about overworld exploration and adventures.

quote:

At present, Perilous Journeys will be a 72-page, 5.5" x 8.5" book divided into the following sections:
  • Learn the Language: a glossary of terms
  • Draw the Map: guidelines for collaborative cartography
  • Lead the Way: alternative rules for followers, by Jeremy Strandberg
  • See the World: new moves and guidelines for undertaking perilous journeys
  • Weather the Storm: suggestions and moves for handling weather
  • Ask the Fates: a host of tables for generating wilderness adventure
  • Plumb the Depths: rules for creating dungeons on the fly
  • Live to Tell the Tale: five new compendium classes
  • Trust Your Gut: advice for improvising overland adventure
  • Name Every Person: sample name lists for people, places, and mounts

Perilous Journeys is my attempt to combine Dungeon World's approach to collaborative world-building with the old-school RPG reliance on random tables to generate content on the fly, woven together by modifications to the original Dungeon World travel moves. The main differences between the use of tables in Perilous Journeys and their use in older RPGs is an emphasis on exploration and discovery over combat encounters, and the baked-in methodology of using randomized results as prompts rather than facts, to be interpreted during play.

I'm a fan of the guy's work (he also did some interesting kingdom management rules based on Pathfinder's Kingmaker stuff) so I'm feeling good about this one.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Funnel World was so loving terrible for one reason: you kept your random rolled stats after you graduated to a real playbook, utterly destroying what balance Dungeon World had. If you just made a complete new character who happened to be the same person, it would be good.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Help me make a move DW thread!

In the setting we came up with, the world is basically ruined by giant city-scale dragons of base elements, Dragons of Death, metal, fire, etc. Once, long ago, a great hero slew a dragon using magic Arrows, the Hero's are basically gathering these arrows to try and kill off some of the big ole dragons. The arrows are themed off of Virtues (Courage, Justice, Temperance, etc).

A player recently got his hands on the arrow of Temperance, and I wrote up a move that let him roll + XP to quell crowds and instill calm into situations (From riots to storms). The player liked this but after a few sessions, feels he isn't getting a good amount of use out of it, so I wanna write up a new one. Preferably something that gives him a shot at taking on one of these mountain sized dragons that are tearing up the world.

I'm thinking something that allows him to declare a weakness on something by taking a moment and finding inner calm. Thoughts?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Ok so I've tried to fix up the Redcap a bit more, I'm still working on alternatives for the preferences, but inspiration hasn't struck yet. The Redcap.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
When you sight a target down the Arrow of Temperance, roll +WIS.

On a hit, you learn where its most vulnerable point is. On a 10+, you pick; on a 7-9, the GM picks. Any attack striking this point bypasses all Armour, and may have other effects at the GM's discretion.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I've decided to take a look back at the only the class I've sold, The Monk, and see if there is anything I could improve on it. So, I fixed some typos I missed the first time, but also decided to take a look at two moves that, in hindsight, could be better: Grandmaster of Defense and Grandmaster of Acrobatics. I decided to alter them slightly.

Grandmaster of Defense didn't work well with Halfling/Monkey Style monks and I'm surprised I originally didn't notice this and Grandmaster of Acrobatics seemed off.

How does this version of the class seem to you guys? Any comments are appreciated.

Covok fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 27, 2015

unwirklich
Apr 9, 2015
All in all this is a good class already. Here are my two cents.

Drives are good and fit the Monk theme.
Small typo: Alturism should be "Altruism".
Names are good. Looks are good. Maybe let them feature "completely bald with the six spots on the forehead"? But maybe that's just me.

Gear could fit the theme a bit better. The options are a bit bland. Why halfling pipeleaf or Elven bread? Why not a wanderer's staff and prayer beads?

Styles fit. Maybe Tiger Style instead of Ox? Might just be my South Shaolin bias right there though.

Master of Battle. Piercing and Damage are clearly the superior choice. Why would I be forceful or messy when I can have armor piercing and that extra oomph? Better to have three lists of tags. One for the mechanical stuff (+damage, +armor, +piercing,...), one for thematic stuff (forceful, messy, impressive, frightening, acrobatic,...), one for small drawbacks.

Master of Defense. Ok.

Master of a Thousand Tongues. Good.

Master of Acrobatics. Great. This invites the player to Feng Shui like stuff. I like.

Master of Weapons. Okay.

Grandmaster of Battle. Okay.

Master of Many Paths. Obligatory multi-class move. Why not have a buddhism quote here instead of Shakespeare?

Master of a Dark Path. Good.

Master of Chi. I like. It's vague enough to be multi-purpose and it fits the theme. Plus it's fun.

Master of Body. I love this one. Maybe make it a 6-10 move to reflect the transition into true mastery.

Grandmaster of Defense. At this point I will likely have armor 1. And piercing tags are bit back and forth. Why not more armor or an additional twist to the block? Edit: Just noticed this was part of your main question.
How about this: Raise your armor to two. Anyone who fails to penetrate your armor either gets thrown back Judo style or open themselves up to a counter-attack. Something like that. Since this is 6-10 feel free to make it something awesome.

Master of the Mind. Good. Meditate on your problems. Quite fitting.

True Master of Battle. Good. I like how it's generous enough to be awesome, without going unbalanced.

Master of the Gentle Touch. Let it be strike or massage. Unless you want to go KYAAAAH! any time you heal one of your mates of a debility. Healing 1d4 is fairly inconsequential. In battle it's unlikely to make a difference. Out of battle there are better options for healing. 1d4 damage on the other hand can make quite the difference.
The move is a bit confusing and a little too mechanical without showing me what is actually going on. I strike someone's pressure point to give them +1 forward? Or suddenly I dislike the Captain of the Guard? The fiction seems a bit off here.

Master of Presence. I'm Batman. Neat. Maybe a different name for the move. Master of the Dry Leaf Dance? Master of Shadows? Yeah, I'm having trouble coming up with something, too. Presence just says the opposite of suddenly disappearing to me though.

Master of Striking. Okay.

Grandmaster of the Dark Path. Neat.

Grandmaster of Chi. Also neat. Wuxia time!

Master and Student. Disposable Student! :-)

Grandmaster of Acrobatics. Good one.

unwirklich fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 27, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

unwirklich posted:

All in all this is a good class already. Here are my two cents.

Drives are good and fit the Monk theme.
Small typo: Alturism should be "Altruism".
Names are good. Looks are good. Maybe let them feature "completely bald with the six spots on the forehead"? But maybe that's just me.

Gear could fit the theme a bit better. The options are a bit bland. Why halfling pipeleaf or Elven bread? Why not a wanderer's staff and prayer beads?

Styles fit. Maybe Tiger Style instead of Ox? Might just be my South Shaolin bias right there though.

Master of Battle. Piercing and Damage are clearly the superior choice. Why would I be forceful or messy when I can have armor piercing and that extra oomph? Better to have three lists of tags. One for the mechanical stuff (+damage, +armor, +piercing,...), one for thematic stuff (forceful, messy, impressive, frightening, acrobatic,...), one for small drawbacks.

Master of Many Paths. Obligatory multi-class move. Why not have a buddhism quote here instead of Shakespeare?

Grandmaster of Defense. At this point I will likely have armor 1. And piercing tags are bit back and forth. Why not more armor or an additional twist to the block?

Master of the Gentle Touch. Let it be strike or massage. Unless you want to go KYAAAAH! any time you heal one of your mates of a debility. Healing 1d4 is fairly inconsequential. In battle it's unlikely to make a difference. Out of battle there are better options for healing. 1d4 damage on the other hand can make quite the difference.
The move is a bit confusing and a little too mechanical without showing me what is actually going on. I strike someone's pressure point to give them +1 forward? Or suddenly I dislike the Captain of the Guard? The fiction seems a bit off here.

Master of Presence. I'm Batman. Neat. Maybe a different name for the move. Master of the Dry Leaf Dance? Master of Shadows? Yeah, I'm having trouble coming up with something, too. Presence just says the opposite of suddenly disappearing to me though.

First off, thank you for your comments especially with how in-depth you went.

Secondly, I'm going to respond to few of them.

Before anything, the version you are looking at is a bit out of date. I have been working on it over the night after getting feedback from other so it's a bit different. I thought it would auto-update if I updated the dropbox file, but it seems to not have done that. So, things like the typo with Altruism has been fixed. I updated the link in the prior post, but here it is again.

I will admit that, in hindsight, the gear lacks theme and needs some updating.

I am mixed on the comment for Master of Battle. Mainly, there just isn't enough tags in the game or mechanics to play with to really accomplish that. I could make more tags for it like in the Fighter's Signature weapon, but then this opens up an annoying problem of page space: there might not be enough. I'll have to tinker with it. I'll get back to you on how that turns out.

Master of Many Paths has a Shakespeare quote because I don't actually know any Buddhism quotes.

Originally, Grandmaster of Defense did this, but the Monkey Style move also did this and it created a conflict. I decided to resolve it by altering G.D. I feel the move is still pretty functional. Even if someone has Piercing 4 (which some creatures do have), you still get 1-2 Armor. It also serves to increase armor without increasing it. In other words, against enemies that would reduce it, your armor rating may remain static. I'm weary on increasing over 2 Armor as I don't want it to be better at Armor than some of the base classes that get high Armor as one of their main selling points.

Master of Gentletouch seems weird because it's based on how some comics that feature marital artists and monks treat pressure points. Admittedly, the idea originally came from me running out of ideas and looking through other roleplaying books. This is actually why it's called Gentletouch. But, when I saw Gentletouch, it reminded me of comics where martial artists hit pressures points to do all sorts of crazy things like permanently make a person weak, cause them to explode, send them into a bit of deadly ecasty, confuse them, increase their ability, etc. Since a lot of people may have not read those kinds of comics, they may not get the ficition behind being able to do crazy, semi-magical things by abusing pressure points. I wonder if this is a common trope of eastern fiction or just a thing in some comics I read.

Master of Presence's name is likely the result of the fact I was in a public speaking course at the time of its original writing and that word was thrown around a lot. Particularly, how one can control their presence with their body to make themselves very noticeable or practically invisible. It's probably also influenced by a comic where an entire martial arts style was devised around eliminating your presence so you could attack by surprise despite being in plain site. I guess this goes back to Gentletouch where, without my frame of reference, it seems odd.

Also, I'm working on a new cover for the page, but I'm not really inclined to this kind of stuff. This is all I got so far:

Any suggestions on how to make it look better?
Before anyone asks, I do have permission to use that picture as long as I am properly understanding the rules of her paetron, of which I am a patron of.
This picture is also the closet legally I can get to saying what my favorite monk-type-thing in fiction is.

Edit: I should mention that I bundle it with a "old school" version that looks like this. There are only cosmetic differences. I just thought some people might like a version that does the "traditional" dungeon world stuff like race and alignment as an option.

Edit: Now, I'm kind of throwing around the idea of cutting Gentletouch and replacing it with this:

pre:
True Master of Defense
Requires: Grandmaster of Defense
You are untouchable. You have advanced your craft to soaring heights. You have 2 armor when unarmormed. If you are a Halfling/study Monkey Style, you have 3 armor when unarmored.
Thoughts? It's more boring, but has more utility. I'm worried though that it might, overall, be too much.

Covok fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

unwirklich posted:

I agree with Covok here, I woulkd NOT choose +Piercing and +Damage every time. Depending on my character's theme, I'd be more likely to take Forceful, knocking people around, positioning them where you want, and +Piercing (you got that one right) or Messy, breaking enemies arms and legs so they can't act anymore. Do not underestimate the narrative tags. Every time I use one, I remind my GM, and when I'm GMing, I make sure to include how messy just blinded an enemy by raking his face or shattered his leg and now he can't get up. Out of all these tags, I'd say +1 Damage is the most useless; all it does is make my range go from 1-8 to 2-9. When fighting armor, +2 Piercing would be way more valuable, preventing you from losing peak damage, and when fighting unarmored, I'd take messy or forceful depending if I want to knock them back or deal crippling damage.