Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Topher87
Jun 28, 2008
29 deaths it is. Go big or go home. Hopefully none of the idiots turn around and the hillary step collapses on them

Topher87 fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I dunno, 2.7km seems like a really doable mountain for even an inexperienced climber..

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Wasabi the J posted:

I dunno, 2.7km seems like a really doable mountain for even an inexperienced climber..

2,700m is about the elevation you'd start at for a lot of the 14ers in the Rockies so yeah, it's easily doable. It's more that he's standing on the peak in obvious winter conditions while wearing non-winter clothing. The fucker clearly landed on the peak with a helicopter, took a quick shot, and then got the gently caress out of there.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Marley Wants More posted:

Whenever I see someone crossing one of those narrow ladders, it looks clumsy as hell and it makes my stomach do flip flops. I always wonder why they don't use two ladders. Still clumsy, but at least it would be twice as wide. I guess it's because getting even one ladder up there is hard enough?

I imagine it's like anything else at that altitude; you do just enough and carry just enough to make it possible, because every bit of weight and effort is almost superhuman. One ladder gets the job done reliably, so taking on the effort and risk of a second trip to haul a second ladder just for the sake of peoples' nerves doesn't seem like something that would ever be considered.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

im probably spelling it wrong but yall ever seen the matterhorn? it's far from the biggest mountain but i think it's easily the most beautiful. heard it's pretty dangerous to climb but im not a climber myself so idk.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Matterhorn huh?

Looks like a knock off of a real mountain.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

zedprime posted:

Matterhorn huh?

good god... majestic.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

This was inevitable, so I figured we might as well get it out of the way.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

That would imply she had at least some climbing experience though.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

One of my favorite NK propaganda pieces:

I think it appeals to me as an almost comedic (in terms of its egotism/plagiarism) reworking of Wanderer above the Sea of Fog

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Teketeketeketeke posted:

One of my favorite NK propaganda pieces:

I think it appeals to me as an almost comedic (in terms of its egotism/plagiarism) reworking of Wanderer above the Sea of Fog

How can it be plagiarism? Kim Jung-Il painted Wanderer above the Sea of Fog.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Topher87 posted:

29 deaths it is. Go big or go home. Hopefully none of the idiots turn around and the hillary step collapses on them

enough GOP 2016 armchair quarterbacking already

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

Matterhorn huh?

The Matterhorn actually beats Everest in the death count, it has almost twice the number of fatalities (500 vs. 250). Though it sees a lot more ascents, so the relative death rate is probably lower than Everest.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

it also looks like some poo poo outta lord of the rings

i think it's that face on the left side of the pic that's the place where people struggle the most?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

A Spider Covets posted:

it also looks like some poo poo outta lord of the rings

i think it's that face on the left side of the pic that's the place where people struggle the most?

That entire mountain looks like it requires some serious skill and equipment to climb.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Keith Atherton posted:

I own a ton of books about mountaineering

You're welcome to start a thread in Book Barn on it.

Leperflesh posted:

Pagophiles convene! Arctic fiction/non-fiction discussion is the thread to check, in the book barn. It's not highly trafficked but it has a really good reading list.

Thanks for the bump! It's one of TBB's overlooked gems. Always keen to get recommendations and comment. :)

Yeah, I turn my back for a few weeks and come back and.... Yeah, let's say a guess of 41 wasn't my finest judgement but I'll stand by it. There's always next season... We need some sort of death counter for that awesome banner, Rondette. :)

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost

Gripen5 posted:

That entire mountain looks like it requires some serious skill and equipment to climb.

The standard route is actually only slightly more difficult than Everest. Of course you don't need bottled oxygen for a 4478 meter peak and if you break down on the summit there's gonna be a helicopter ride down. Because of its popularity and fixed ropes the Matterhorn shares a lot of problems with Everest, like traffic jams or unprepared climbers getting lost.

Here, have a GoPro movie of an ascent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvV4P7kFy_o

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Gripen5 posted:

its weird just getting there. the town i stayed at is near its base: zermatt. they have really strict rules on how vehicles can operate in the town, like you cannot drive a traditional vehicle around the streets of the city. the only vehicles i saw around in the city proper were electric taxis. beautiful place though, and the food is really good. heres a wiki page on it if you're curious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zermatt

i spent most of my time around Sunnegga and Gornergrat.

gipskrampf posted:

The standard route is actually only slightly more difficult than Everest. Of course you don't need bottled oxygen for a 4478 meter peak and if you break down on the summit there's gonna be a helicopter ride down. Because of its popularity and fixed ropes the Matterhorn shares a lot of problems with Everest, like traffic jams or unprepared climbers getting lost.

Here, have a GoPro movie of an ascent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvV4P7kFy_o

thanks, gonna watch this later, what a view!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
she was so close...

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Marley Wants More posted:

This was inevitable, so I figured we might as well get it out of the way.

:vince:

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

enough GOP 2016 armchair quarterbacking already

Marco Rubio's icy corpse marks a sharp right turn just before Super Tuesday

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009

As a Torontonian, I found this awesome.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

:drat: :vince:

Zandi
Aug 7, 2003
www.nomadhonor.com
Everyone should read the Abominable by Dan Simmons.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17333261-the-abominable

the stuff I learned about mountaineering in this thread really helped with the eye rolling during the reading.

I will genuinely second Anapurna by herzog. Really chilling read.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

:fireman:
:pusheen:

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Needs even more love than it is getting. Awesome.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

I vote that this become the official smilie of the thread.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Today's Sesame Street has Elmo climbing Mt. Biggest-Ever-rest with a Sheep Sherpa.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Anya posted:

Today's Sesame Street has Elmo climbing Mt. Biggest-Ever-rest with a Sheep Sherpa.

Update: Elmo's dead.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Did that obnoxious teenage "adventurer" die?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Drunkboxer posted:

Did that obnoxious teenage "adventurer" die?

The place was closed.

He died of starvation before anyone could get to him

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

They'd better open up soon

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

fuctifino posted:

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

fuctifino posted:

:drat:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

fuctifino posted:

Did they get David's body out of Green boots Cave?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Damo posted:

I think you are thinking of Sandy Hill (formerly Sandy Hill Pittman), the rich New Yorker from the 1996 Everest Disaster. She brought some crazy luxury poo poo those poor sherpas had to haul up. To her credit she had a deal with NBC to do a video diary and other broadcasts from her climb with the Mountain Madness expedition, so she likely was required to bring some unconventional gear with her. However, yeah I believe she did bring a coffee machine or something like that, among other luxury items to Everest in 1996.

She also was a pretty decently accomplished climber prior to her Everest attempt, summitting Aconcagua, Mount McKinley, Vinson Massif, Mount Elbrus, Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Kosciuszko, and Puncak Jaya (according to Wikipedia at least) before she attempted Everest. She wasn't a pro 8000er by any means, but she was certainly light years ahead of a certain unfortunate Canadian woman this thread loves to poke fun at when it came to basic mountaineering. Someone more knowledgeable on the subject can likely give more detail on the stuff she brought with her on Everest, it's been a while since I read the various books on the 96 disaster.

This is an old post but like Mt Kosciuszko is easy as poo poo, 0 accomplishment there. Dunno about the rest though

I climbed it in February. It's not very steep and the peak itself is just a hill on a flat bit at the top of the range. It's even got h+ data at the top. If you are especially lazy, they have a chairlift most of the way up, and a restaurant with $20 burgers.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
The "coffee machine" was a French press, it's not like she was schlepping a Keurig up there.

It's not so much that this is a "look at this rich female pretend-climber buying her way up" thing as much as it is a "other climbers didn't really care for her and so they talked smack and it became a thing."

It's about ethics in climbing journalism, basically.

Also, Aleister Crowley had his HAPs carry a small library up as well as a chess set and so on when he attempted Kanchenjunga, dude was way gaucher than Sandy Hill.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

This is an old post but like Mt Kosciuszko is easy as poo poo, 0 accomplishment there. Dunno about the rest though

I climbed it in February. It's not very steep and the peak itself is just a hill on a flat bit at the top of the range. It's even got h+ data at the top. If you are especially lazy, they have a chairlift most of the way up, and a restaurant with $20 burgers.

Those are the Seven Summits, yo, it's not like people climb Kosciuszko for the challenge, they climb it because if you don't climb it you can't say you climbed the highest on every continent.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
good god, that continent is flat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Kosciuszko is our biggest mountain but it literally just looks like the windows xp background when you get close to it. The hard part was the start where it was constant shittily made stairs to the top of the range. You then walk along flat ground to the Thredbo ski resort. I'll find a picture to go with everyone elses crazy cave diving etc.

Once you get to Thredbo, there's 2kms of raised metal ramp to the top. I climbed a harder mountain 2 years ago called the pyramid, you had to crawl up it cause you slide backwards to a 300m drop otherwise.

Tbh my favourite part was taking a piss on top of the racist poo poo of a country I live in.

• Locked thread