Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

An Angry Bug posted:

Link? I was planning on making my chapter co-ed.

Don't have the link on me right now; I'll post it after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
The Bad thread has photos of the Eldar codex and it's all true.

All D, All the time

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Moola posted:

say "otiose in a niche" out loud and listen to how loving terrible you sound

imagine a dude saying that infront of a group of people at a serious meeting

The next line is "We enthusiastically envisioneer out-of-the-box paradigms, and synergistically disseminate intermandated catalysts for change"

The audience, enthralled with his genius, stands to give a solid applause for the mandated period of time before sitting and moving to the next agenda item

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
You see the few people in the bad thread unironically saying how nice this or that is for the Eldar, and I'm like drat, I'd be embarrassed if this were my codex. Sure I want to have cool good units but not in a way that makes the game shittier for everyone around me, and ultimately shittier for me too.

It felt bad enough when Heldrakes were the hot cheese.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Aspect Warrior updates are genuinely nice and give them a much needed breath of fresh air. It's just a shame they decided to be embarrassing everywhere else.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JerryLee posted:

You see the few people in the bad thread unironically saying how nice this or that is for the Eldar, and I'm like drat, I'd be embarrassed if this were my codex.

I'm not embarrassed, this new codex means I can stop stuffing socks down my pants.

Seriously though, my 6th codex is still with my buddy in the UK, never used, and now it's been superseded already. With that kind of quick turnaround I wanted plastic aspect warriors to replace the horrible resin ones, just the very welcome new bikes isn't enough.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
hmmm just got called out for hating anything GW does in the bad thread

I need some sort of regular reminder not to post there

it is very not good

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Sulecrist posted:

boom boom boom posted:

Why would someone buy a special edition of a book that's going to be useless in 18 months?

The same reason people buy Coach products, or pay for bottle service, or go to law school. I'd bet at least a handful of the people who bought that LE Codex are going to pick up a gold-plated Apple Watch.

Holy poo poo :lol:

edit: I fell for a good troll post, didn't I? Poe's Law is alive and well in the bad thread :sigh:

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 21, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Moola posted:

it is very not good

I learned not to argue with people on the internet the hard way: through headaches!

The news of aspect warrior revamp is good for the Kill Team crowd, thought blindly ported Mechanicus... is kind of an overkill.

Also, in the Kill Team FB group, one guy managed to go from Kill Team to Apocalypse. How do you get to be that wrong...

Still somewhat sore about the new Assassins, but Eversor seems salvageble if you discard scenic base... well, maybe.

Then again, why is this guy not getting an update? Way cooler than BSDM Cult Assassins.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

JcDent posted:

Then again, why is this guy not getting an update? Way cooler than BSDM Cult Assassins.
They can't sue if you make a knockoff of "Ninja with Gun".

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Moola posted:

it is very not good

You can't stop posting. I need you in that thread to put a little bit of sanity in there! I still read it to be amazed at people defending that poo poo.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Wait I though the whole point of D weapons was to make Super Heavies in Apocalypse crazy powerful and to remove huge amounts of stuff quickly since otherwise 10k point games would take to long. They put that into regular 40k now??

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Radish posted:

Wait I though the whole point of D weapons was to make Super Heavies in Apocalypse crazy powerful and to remove huge amounts of stuff quickly since otherwise 10k point games would take to long. They put that into regular 40k now??

Even there it was dumb. It's like, if you just want to set up a way cool battle diorama, do that; if you want to play out a massive battle then at least own up to the amount of time it will take you to do it right.

For all their talk about forging the narrative they seem to forget that no goodenjoyable 40k story has ever included the words "and then all the heroes were wiped out by an apocalyptic pie plate, no saves allowed"

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Business Gorillas posted:

They can't sue if you make a knockoff of "Ninja with Gun".

But they will drat well try their hardest.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Well, BoLs has scans of the new codex - the only thing that went up in cost is the WraithKnight - everything else is the same or lower, in addition to the buffs.

If I was still playing, I'd be embarrassed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, the D is confirmed, and D-strength template weapons are a thing, huh? I'm surprised the Bad Thread's response so far is 'Oh yeah awesome!'

I didn't think they sank so low.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

JerryLee posted:

Even there it was dumb. It's like, if you just want to set up a way cool battle diorama, do that; if you want to play out a massive battle then at least own up to the amount of time it will take you to do it right.

For all their talk about forging the narrative they seem to forget that no goodenjoyable 40k story has ever included the words "and then all the heroes were wiped out by an apocalyptic pie plate, no saves allowed"

I dunno, I think you could justify a Chaos servant deciding to create a gargantuan pie to destroy their enemy with. Nurgle because he wants to share a delicious treat with his misguided friends, Slaanesh for the sensation of pieing dozens of troops at once, Tzeentch for Just As Planned. Only Khorne might really be a stretch.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Renfield posted:

Well, BoLs has scans of the new codex - the only thing that went up in cost is the WraithKnight - everything else is the same or lower, in addition to the buffs.

If I was still playing, I'd be embarrassed.

Yet you still post. :iiam:

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Excuse me for being invested in a system that I spent 25 years playing, spent an ungodly amount of money on, and still (secretly) hope could be turned around and saved.

Even Moola plays XWang now and is allowed to comment

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Renfield posted:

Excuse me for being invested in a system that I spent 25 years playing, spent an ungodly amount of money on, and still (secretly) hope could be turned around and saved.

Even Moola plays XWang now and is allowed to comment

Being invested is for casuals. Being emotionally invested is for true patrons of The Hobby.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

Being invested is for casuals. Being emotionally invested is for true patrons of The Hobby.

I've played games you newbies wouldn't believe, Rhinos exploding to Hawks Crac grenades, Exarchs Sniping with Lascannon in the Plaza Store - these things are gone, lost, like a D6 under the sofa. Time to play Warmachine.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If you actually play 40k, and actually care about winning, why not play Eldar? There's a bunch of different Craftworlds, each with their own distinct look and fluff. And you can always make your own if you don't like the ones GW's come up with.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
I am a serious ex GW fan who bought all the Warhammer and hero quest stuff as a kid. I have found their business and rules choices over the last couple years endlessly intriguing. I didn't get into 6th due to the price tag and since have watched their practices spiral away like a drunken friend whose car you almost got into again, but now realize they might have problems.
I will come right out and ask this because I've looked and can't find it, what is the bad thread and where is it? SA phrasing confuses me a lot.

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 21, 2015

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Doctor Borris posted:

I am a serious ex GW fan who bought all the Warhammer and hero quest stuff as a kid. I have found their business and rules choices over the last couple years endlessly intriguing. I didn't get into 6th due to the price tag and since have watched their practices spiral away like a drunken friend whose car you almost got into again, but now realize they might have problems.
I will come right out and ask this because I've looked and can't find it, what is the bad thread and where is it? SA phrasing confuses me a lot.

Bad thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636853

Cool Skellies thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694065

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
tbh I really wish there was just one cool thread :smith:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

it is very not good

I enjoy that the rebuttal to your posting there is:

Big Willy Style posted:

[Moola] has pretty much successfully turned this thread into GW Death Thread 2. Every month [this] thread would turn to poo poo when there were new releases and now with a weekly release schedule it is just constant.

Other miniatures games have regular releases that don't cause a total poo poo storm, but it is us the players and posters that are bad, not the game. Never the game.

Edit:

Moola posted:

tbh I really wish there was just one cool thread :smith:

There is a cool thread for cool people, right here.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 21, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
yeah its kind of sad they can allllmost see it

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
You're winning Moola, even Hollismason has seen the light

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I just want more people to play good games like x-wang and have fun :smith:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Renfield posted:

You're winning Moola, even Hollismason has seen the light

LOL no he hasn't. He's buying up people's armies for "cheap" while they're angry. As in, $200 for however many times more than that the armies are "worth" new in GW-bucks.

Hollis thinks this is just a temporary glitch and GW is gonna fix it or something. The best you can say is that he's recognized the latest eldar release is bad.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
He's tried XWang, and got 2 starter sets, once he can admit hes' having fun, that's most of the problem

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Indolent Bastard posted:

There is a cool thread for cool people, right here.

This is also a cool thread for cool people

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's good to break some 'reality' into GW land. There are better, cheaper, fun games out there.

People are going to get defensive about the things they like. I don't get why they hate on poor moola so much (I'd drink beer with him any day), but you shouldn't all be surprised that negativity wears on people.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

It's good to break some 'reality' into GW land. There are better, cheaper, fun games out there.

That's a matter of perspective. Some of the most fun I have had in this miserable hobby has been narrative games and campaigns.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

People are going to get defensive about the things they like. I don't get why they hate on poor moola so much (I'd drink beer with him any day), but you shouldn't all be surprised that negativity wears on people.

:cheers:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

Ok I do get that the other thread is about the hobby and "meant" for positive talk ..... but GW are really taking the piss with things lately. The more fans that run away from them, the sooner they collapse and half-way decent company pics up the 40K IP and does a decent job.

EDIT: Think of Moola as the Alpha Legion, they work from within to destroy the Imperium for some unkown greater good.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
I do not understand why GW would make changes that invalidate their new flagship models like this. Over the last several years huge centerpiece models have been one of their major pushes, even orks got a finally usable Big Metal Thing. Obviously no matter how bad at making rules a company is they would not release a unit that trivially kills them. It would be like if the person had a goose that laid golden eggs and OH WAIT.
It just makes no sense from any angle. Didn't this company make Mordenheim?
Wtf GW.

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 21, 2015

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Doctor Borris posted:

I do not understand why GW would make changes that invalidate their new flagship models like this. Over the last several years huge centerpiece models have been one of their major pushes, even orks got a finally usable Big Metal Thing. Obviously no matter how bad at making rules a company is they would not release a unit that trivially kills them. It would be like if the person had a goose that laid golden eggs and OH WAIT.

Wtf GW.

Because as directly stated by GW: its all about collectable models first, rule second.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Ok I do get that the other thread is about the hobby and "meant" for positive talk .....

I dont get this, I think its just a Games thing

you should be able to talk about stuff about the hobby you dont like as well as the stuff you do like

POSITIVE TALK ONLY leads to lovely echo chambers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

I dont get this, I think its just a Games thing

you should be able to talk about stuff about the hobby you dont like as well as the stuff you do like

POSITIVE TALK ONLY leads to lovely echo chambers

Note the qoutation marks, but I also agree with you Moola.

I liked Warhammer and I love the 40k IP, but I will still call GW out on being cash grabbing assholes.

And I will especially fo so if they are going to begin this Over-powered codex cycle again. My local FLG lost half its 40k-Warhammer following due to balance issues, why would I invest further in a game when I can't play against people?

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 21, 2015

• Locked thread