Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

zenintrude posted:

Now that's a shame considering both Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia came out Winter 2000.

I like Timestalkers better than Skies of Arcadia, and I don't like Timestalkers that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
Anyone have tips for burning GameCube backups properly? I had Monitor Burn install a XenoGC chip/region switch, along with some other mod work, for me and we couldn't get it to read the Philips mini DVD-Rs (which are supposed to be good). The chip seems to be functioning correctly as the LED lights up and the region free booting feature works fine (loads NTSC-U games on both NTSC-U and NTSC-J settings using the region switch). With a backup inserted, you can hear the drive trying to read the disc but it eventually gives up and goes back to the main menu - normal discs work fine. He adjusted the laser potentiometer before sending it back to me but didn't have any luck. While the mini DVD-Rs seem to be 4x speed, my burners seems to only work at 2x with these discs using ImgBurn. I've tried using different ISOs and different computers but nothing seems to work. Before I buy different media, is there anything else I should try?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

d0s posted:

I'm convinced everyone who puts money into CDi stuff is being ironic or something

They really really love Robert Mapplethorpe.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

kynikos posted:

Anyone have tips for burning GameCube backups properly? I had Monitor Burn install a XenoGC chip/region switch, along with some other mod work, for me and we couldn't get it to read the Philips mini DVD-Rs (which are supposed to be good). The chip seems to be functioning correctly as the LED lights up and the region free booting feature works fine (loads NTSC-U games on both NTSC-U and NTSC-J settings using the region switch). With a backup inserted, you can hear the drive trying to read the disc but it eventually gives up and goes back to the main menu - normal discs work fine. He adjusted the laser potentiometer before sending it back to me but didn't have any luck. While the mini DVD-Rs seem to be 4x speed, my burners seems to only work at 2x with these discs using ImgBurn. I've tried using different ISOs and different computers but nothing seems to work. Before I buy different media, is there anything else I should try?

Make sure your ISOs are exactly the right size. Here's some tips: http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/guide-how-to-properly-burn-nintendo-gamecube-games.622526/

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

kynikos posted:

Also in some situations you need to tweak your GameCube's laser pot. There seem to be several different ways of doing this but pretty well all of them require a multimeter or a huge set of balls.

There are several youtube videos that show how to do this and here's a site with pictures galore. I will be doing this to mine soon too for all that's worth.
http://128bit.me/index.php?topic=26113.0

d0s posted:

I'm convinced everyone who puts money into CDi stuff is being ironic or something

The CD-i is just cool what can I say. It's like a cross between a Playstation and an early 90s PC (the early 90s PC that came with 50 different versions of an encyclopedia and all kinds of educational games) It's also wild for a console to exist that has more variations than the Genesis and the 3DO combined. Now if you'll excuse me, I"ve got some Battleship to play and some WWII cutscenes of my shots hitting to watch and enjoy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah the CD-i is neat in and of itself, even if its games suck out loud.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
CD-i piecing it together has cost me just over $100 with luck compared to some of the prices I've seen. It's been a headache getting all the parts though. I just wanted it for the novelty of having the system, nothing more. I'm a masochist :(

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'm not being ironic, but it is a bitch trying to get one of these or work out a trade, even when willing to trade at a significant loss. And I'm not lucky (yes, lucky) enough to score a flippin' CD-i in the wild like the rest of these folk. No one on earth wants to trade a TG-16 for a CD-i, either because they have a TG or don't have a CD-i. So in the meantime I keep my CD-i games safely stacked on my shelf.

I just really love FMV, alright? :sigh:

e : I just used credit at a used game store on the other side of the country to pick up Escape From Cyber City on CD-i, but I'm really into Leiji Matsumoto to be entirely fair.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 20, 2015

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Caitlin posted:

I'm not being ironic, but it is a bitch trying to get one of these or work out a trade, even when willing to trade at a significant loss. And I'm not lucky (yes, lucky) enough to score a flippin' CD-i in the wild like the rest of these folk. No one on earth wants to trade a TG-16 for a CD-i, either because they have a TG or don't have a CD-i. So in the meantime I keep my CD-i games safely stacked on my shelf.

I just really love FMV, alright? :sigh:

e : I just used credit at a used game store on the other side of the country to pick up Escape From Cyber City on CD-i, but I'm really into Leiji Matsumoto to be entirely fair.

I've all but given up on trades. It almost seems like less of a hassle to sell games then buy whatever.(even though I hate selling and buying p2p services) that being said I have the good model 3do in box I'd trade for a cdi.

Speaking of. I have 4 or 5 3do controllers, are there any Badass multiplayer games for it? I have to hope there are since the controller design is perfect for getting a ton of controllers hooked up easy.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 20, 2015

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

RodShaft posted:

I've all but given up on trades. It almost seems like less of a hassle to sell games then buy whatever.(even though I hate selling and buying p2p services) that being said I gave the good model 3do in box I'd trade for a cdi.

Speaking of. I have 4 or 5 3do controllers, are there any Badass multiplayer games for it? I have to hope there are since the controller design is perfect for getting a ton of controllers hooked up easy.

I would be less interested in trading for things if I had more cash. Unfortunately in order to get anything I want, it looks like I'd have to go through the hassle of selling, shipping and then gambling on an eBay purchase of a CD-i, which frankly I don't know if I want to do since half of them are untested anyways. And THEN hoping nobody I sell to tries to scam me. I really hate putting prices on things, too. Just... ugh. I much prefer trading, especially on private forums like this, but for my interests it appears to be untenable.

In lighter news, I did manage to score Sailor Moon Super S - Various Emotion on PSX (if only it were Saturn) for sub-$30 shipped, which is nice since I always shied away from paying $50+ for it. Someday I'll pick up the Saturn version.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

8-bit Miniboss posted:

XRGB-mini Framemeister havers, a beta of FW 2.00 is out

http://micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-mini_download.htm

Edit: Supposedly these are the major features according to fudoh: Functions to save and load global settings to/from SD card. More scanline tweaking. Shorter 240p/480i switching times. Selectable HDMI output range. New 3-level menu structure.

240p/480i switching sorta works. You can at least get to the gunshop in RE2 with just one or 2 bites now :v:.

Here's a guide a dude made for Framemeister profiles: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1100496#p1100496

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

RodShaft posted:

I don't know about badass but Zhadnost is probably my next (and first in a looong time) 3DO purchase. There are a couple of other quiz/party games (Twisted) but I don't know of many 3+ multiplayer action games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1kiDn91e-k

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 20, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Caitlin posted:

What the gently caress? Yes, this requires photographic evidence. Was... was it all covered in hot glue? :sax:

As for hot glue, well.. there is a little bit. Thankfully not Drakon levels of :gizz: though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Vanagoon posted:

Retro Game Kiosk Collection :stare:

http://imgur.com/gallery/Gcndd

1st comment: "You are on the verge of being the curator of a really cool museum"
I want that Genesis game switcher

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I ebayed a copy of Cosmic Smash for $40, when it got here the package was soaked and the insert was damaged by the moisture, it was wavy in parts. I let the seller know and he did something incredibly cool and refunded me $30, which I put towards a $50 copy of Gigawing. Thanks to USPS fuckup I got Cosmic Smash for $10 and Gigawing for $20 :hellyeah:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Posted my thread on stuff that I'm selling. There's some retro stuff in there as well.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714984

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

An upscaler I ordered came in today. It's nothing fancy (it only cost 40ish bucks) but it works well enough. It's nice being able to play Yoshi's Island on my TV without it looking all stretched out and weird.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kynikos posted:

The Gamecube is completely ridiculous when it comes to what kind of blank media it will accept. Try burning at 8x (if one of your computers will allow it) or even slower than you previously were burning them at. Also, +Rs can have their "bitsetting" adjusted; what this means is by doing some trickery (I forget the process; it's seriously been like 5 years since I've done this so my memory is foggy) a benefit of +R over -R was that +R can have its bitsetting changed. What this did was the disc would "report" itself as a DVD-ROM rather than a DVD+R. I remember getting very finicky DVD players to play dual-layer DVD+Rs this way. I think it helped with Gamecube games, too.

If that still doesn't work, I'd also recommend you to look for a full-size case replacement for the Gamecube if you can; ViperGC used to make one where it was just the top half of the console that you'd replace (IcedCube used to make a really high-quality full-size replacement but the things go for $100+ now which is nuts) . I can't imagine the ViperGC cases are easy to find, though. For what it's worth, I found TDK and Memorex full-sized discs to work well. If you have to stick with mini DVD-Rs, the only ones that worked for me were Memorex.The ones that worked for me looked like this:

PM me your address and I can send you one for free if you are weary about going out and buying a 10 pack (since I doubt they sell them individually).

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

Thanks, this is helpful. Some of those forums are painful to read so I wanted to get the retro thread consensus.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Also in some situations you need to tweak your GameCube's laser pot. There seem to be several different ways of doing this but pretty well all of them require a multimeter or a huge set of balls.

There are several youtube videos that show how to do this and here's a site with pictures galore. I will be doing this to mine soon too for all that's worth.
http://128bit.me/index.php?topic=26113.0

Thanks also, let me know how your install goes!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The Gamecube is completely ridiculous when it comes to what kind of blank media it will accept. Try burning at 8x (if one of your computers will allow it) or even slower than you previously were burning them at. Also, +Rs can have their "bitsetting" adjusted; what this means is by doing some trickery (I forget the process; it's seriously been like 5 years since I've done this so my memory is foggy) a benefit of +R over -R was that +R can have its bitsetting changed. What this did was the disc would "report" itself as a DVD-ROM rather than a DVD+R. I remember getting very finicky DVD players to play dual-layer DVD+Rs this way. I think it helped with Gamecube games, too.

If that still doesn't work, I'd also recommend you to look for a full-size case replacement for the Gamecube if you can; ViperGC used to make one where it was just the top half of the console that you'd replace (IcedCube used to make a really high-quality full-size replacement but the things go for $100+ now which is nuts) . I can't imagine the ViperGC cases are easy to find, though. For what it's worth, I found TDK and Memorex full-sized discs to work well. If you have to stick with mini DVD-Rs, the only ones that worked for me were Memorex.The ones that worked for me looked like this:

PM me your address and I can send you one for free if you are weary about going out and buying a 10 pack (since I doubt they sell them individually).

PM'ed you!

nofaves
Mar 26, 2005

Kublai Khan is my homeboy.
So I finally snipped the tabs on my Super NES, allowing me to play Super Famicom games.

So tell me, retro game thread, what good, cheap, easy to understand if i don't speak Japanese-type games or hidden gems should i now buy for my regionless console?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

nofaves posted:

So I finally snipped the tabs on my Super NES, allowing me to play Super Famicom games.

So tell me, retro game thread, what good, cheap, easy to understand if i don't speak Japanese-type games or hidden gems should i now buy for my regionless console?

Umihara Kawase
Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

nofaves posted:

Gundam Wing Endless Duel. It's one of my favorite SNES/SFC games of all time and is thankfully still pretty cheap around the $20 mark. Gradius III would be cheaper but grab Endless Duel while it's still available if you get a chance.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Got my Super Everdrive last night! Very fun to mess around with. Why I chose Earthworm Jim 2 as my first game to play on it I'll never know.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

kynikos posted:

Thanks, this is helpful. Some of those forums are painful to read so I wanted to get the retro thread consensus.
I bought these last year and haven't had a problem yet, with the 4 or 5 I've burned.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PBEP8M/

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

xamphear posted:

I bought these last year and haven't had a problem yet, with the 4 or 5 I've burned.

I may have to give those a go if I can't get these Philips DVDs to work.

Also, would installing a new laser make it any better?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Got my Super Everdrive last night! Very fun to mess around with. Why I chose Earthworm Jim 2 as my first game to play on it I'll never know.

It's because you're awesome and EJ2 is a shining gem of it's time. GAAARRROOOOOVVY!!!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

nofaves posted:

The three Parodius games aren't insanely priced and are the best shoot-em-ups on the system. The third one (Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius) is a bit pricier but if you're patient you should be able to get it for between 20 and 30.

Sugoi Heberke is the only other SFC game I have at the moment and it's charming, if probably a bit simple. Worth it if you have a multitap just for the novelty of having a Power Stone-esque four player fighting game on the SNES, or if you think the ghost in Ufouria: The Saga is totally cool.

Yoshi's Island is also slightly cheaper if you don't have it already.

Also, get a Super Game Boy 2.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

nofaves posted:

Final Fight Guy
The Firemen
Front Mission: Gun Hazard
Gundam Wing: Endless Duel
Mario & Wario
Rockman & Forte

(a few of these aren't cheap, but they're all good)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Here's a tangent from that fighting game discussion. How are you supposed to do the inputs in Darkstalkers' revenge (Saturn) that go in the lines of B, D, DB? It just doesn't seem like a natural input and I can't seem to get moves that use that kind of set-up off.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Azazell0 posted:

Here's a tangent from that fighting game discussion. How are you supposed to do the inputs in Darkstalkers' revenge (Saturn) that go in the lines of B, D, DB? It just doesn't seem like a natural input and I can't seem to get moves that use that kind of set-up off.

Reverse Dragonpunch

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

d0s posted:

Gigawing for $20 :hellyeah:

Yessssssss! I love Gigawing, especially the DC port because it removes all the slowdown and has great arranged music (boss theme rocks). It's also the game that got me into shmups. I was working at a FuncoLand when it came out and we had a demo copy for customers (and employees :D) to play. This guy came up to me once while I was playing and said, "you know, the Saturn is the best system for shooters". I was like "whaaaaaa, really?". I had no idea because all I saw at the store was a dwindling amount of US releases. I wrote down a list of the ones he told me he liked. The next time a good-condition Saturn came in for trade, I boxed it up and slapped a "hold for Ofecks" sticker on it. That mint-condition model 1 Saturn eventually played a lot of great shmups (and I had an RGB monitor on its side just for the verts). It was the last thing I sold when I ditched my collection in 2007. Now Saturn shmups are worth double what I got for them then. :(

Azazell0 posted:

Isn't that just a Shoryuken in reverse? I guess it is kinda weird if your character is on the left side though.

:efb:

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

nofaves posted:

Not a JP exclusive, but if you don't have a copy of Super Metroid, the JP version is identical to the US version and much cheaper.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Azazell0 posted:

Isn't that just a backwards Dragon Punch?

e: Why don't we all just answer at once then.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

It's kinda hard to tell you how to do an input when you list the inputs in the same sentence, you know? It's back, down, down-back. As stated, yeah, a reverse shoryuken. Sit there and practice those inputs until you can keep doing them. Stick or a pad, whichever floats your boat.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 21, 2015

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe I should've also mentioned that I'm not very well versed in fighting games. I'm missing the "flow" of that input if that makes any sense. I mean, a half-circle or quarter-circle I can understand, that one I just can't pull off as easily. I know how it should be, and I'm trying to do it, it just never seems to "flow" as smoothly as others. Well, maybe if I train too much moves, my friends are gonna complain I'm too good (it's enough to know a few moves to be too good, normally we just mash buttons).

Really dig the graphics and controls in Darkstalkers, though.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 21, 2015

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Azazell0 posted:

Maybe I should've also mentioned that I'm not very well versed in fighting games. I'm missing the "flow" of that input if that makes any sense. I mean, a half-circle or quarter-circle I can understand, that one I just can't pull off as easily.

It's a "Z" movement, if that helps you remember it. Reversed in this case.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Azazell0 posted:

Maybe I should've also mentioned that I'm not very well versed in fighting games. I'm missing the "flow" of that input if that makes any sense. I mean, a half-circle or quarter-circle I can understand, that one I just can't pull off as easily.

Press back and then do a QCB and attack before pressing the second back motion.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Monitor Burn posted:

Not a JP exclusive, but if you don't have a copy of Super Metroid, the JP version is identical to the US version and much cheaper.

A lot of the JP versions seem to be collectively cheaper than their western counterparts even taking shipping into account.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

the wizards beard posted:

It's a "Z" movement, if that helps you remember it. Reversed in this case.

I'll try to work with this.

And thanks for everyone for the tips too. Pretty much the only fighter I played seriously back in the day was Tekken 3, but I lost all my touch in that game as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

xamphear posted:

The brand typically means very little. What matters is the actual manufacturer (a lot of companies that brand burnable media source from a bunch of different companies, of varying quality).

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm has some more info on this.

• Locked thread