Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
speeding-tickets-as-revenue generation is amateur hour, it affects white ppl and then they complain about it

what you need to look at is the city of ferguson, they are loving pros at revenue generation

they'll fine some black woman $100 for parking outside her own house then send her to debtor's jail for failure to pay $10,000 worth of accumulated non-payment fines and missed court appearances. god drat that piece of legislative machinery is so well tuned it brings a tear to my eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

is ferguson where the guy has been arrested literally 100 times in the last 20 years of working at his corner store for loitering

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Luigi Thirty posted:

is ferguson where the guy has been arrested literally 100 times in the last 20 years of working at his corner store for loitering

no that was staten island

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

there was the dude in miami gardens

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

EVGA Longoria posted:

this, but unironically

gently caress you i'm gonna drive fast because i enjoy it, d w i

kill yourself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

congress got the states to lower speed limits below what engineers recommendations for max speeds in the 70s in order to lower gas consumption so dunno if you'll get that from him

congress is the worst

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Citizen Tayne posted:

kill yourself

he will, along with a family of four

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Citizen Tayne posted:

kill yourself

brutal

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

so was my rollover accident when I was hit by a tractor trailer driver who had to go fast back in 2001.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

there was the dude in miami gardens

yeah that's the one http://fusion.net/story/5568/florida-citys-stop-frisk-nabs-thousands-of-kids-finds-5-year-olds-suspicious/

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Citizen Tayne posted:

so was my rollover accident when I was hit by a tractor trailer driver who had to go fast back in 2001.

maybe you should have...taken the train...

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb2w2m1JmCY

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
everything is bad
everyone is bad

burn it all down

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

maybe you should have...taken the train...

clearly he learned his lesson.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wild EEPROM posted:

everything is bad
everyone is bad

burn it all down

let's start with your posts

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

As a Millennial I posted:

Wow. I'm absolutely horrified by the responses to this article, at the Spectator, of all places. I'm seeing a sorry mix of cotton-headed conventional wisdom ("Slow down! Speed kills! Save a life") and obsequiousness with regard to your state and local government masters.

Speed limits, speed cameras, traffic cops, and all other associated items are all, without exception, first and foremost revenue generation devices. The numbers on a sign are almost always arbitrary, set by people who are chauffeur-driven, and ignorant of facts on the ground. It's appalling to me that in the wreckage of a republic of supposedly free citizens, we have to scan the horizon ceaselessly for armed and badged revenue agents.

Wacky libertarianism is open-borders stuff; this still exists within the realm of principle. And if you feel the speed limit is sacred, then for God's sake, get out of the left lane.

paging hp hovercraft

*comes speeding into thread, flattening a "municipal" traffic camera pedestal installed and operated by a for-profit traffic camera company*

hey y'all should read this

basically these companies get a big wet cut of all fines collected so ofc there's all kinds of corruption

other places have even had things like retiming traffic lights so that the yellow phase is shorter or having no "all red" phase - this increases violations (and crashes) b/c all of a sudden people don't have enough time to stop

or they'll ratchet up the "accuracy" of the speed cameras during school zone hours so that it'll catch people <2mph over the temporary limit (<2 is regarded as being wildly inaccurate for this use)

or they'll have some kinda wacky appeals process since it's a company that's running the show through traffic law channels so they can basically do whatever in a lotta cases like having an "appeals fine" that's more than the ticket - tho this route sometimes means that there's no criminal repercussion to just ignoring the camera ticket, like what's currently happening now in louisiana

basically gently caress speed traps they are a terrible and dangerous method of enforcement but double gently caress speed cameras since in america they can only be run by private companies for some idiotic reason

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

congress got the states to lower speed limits below what engineers recommendations for max speeds in the 70s in order to lower gas consumption so dunno if you'll get that from him

it was to lower gas consumption as well as "limit fatalities" in exchange for continuing to fund highway maintenance on federal roads

this is also how they got everyone to line up on the same drinking age - louisiana was the last holdout until when i was in middle school and that roadway scrilla got too tempting

i remember that older brothers of my friends were all pissed off b/c suddenly they couldn't buy beer in hs

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

they should put cameras at stop signs instead of stoplights.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
see, every driver that ever got in an accident went "i'm gong to crash and kill myself and several other people today"and promptly drove away and crashed whereas i go "i am a good driver and will never get in an accident and can therefore go as fast as i want vroom vroom" it's so simple i don't get why we need all these safety laws

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

they should put cameras at stop signs instead of stoplights.

a proper stop vs a rolling stop is a v subjective thing and open to interpretation

i'd be happy if speed cameras were installed and operated by cities w/ clearly marked signage ahead of the enforcement zone

also if they outlawed speed traps entirely

tho louisiana is doin something p hilarious to buttfuck these little speed trap towns

Fueled by anger over speeding tickets, a Louisiana House panel approved a bill Monday that would require municipalities that collect more than 50 percent of their revenue from the citations to label themselves as a “speed trap” and pay for a blinking highway sign that says just that.

“Revenue-based law enforcement is the wrong way to go in this state,” said state Rep. Steven E. Pylant, R-Delhi, sponsor of House Bill 961.

Exactly what the signs would look like is unclear.

The measure says they are to include blinking lights and be posted at the entry to the community.

Municipalities that fail to erect them would see revenue from the speeding tickets redirected to the state treasury.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a proper stop vs a rolling stop is a v subjective thing and open to interpretation

i'd be happy if speed cameras were installed and operated by cities w/ clearly marked signage ahead of the enforcement zone

also if they outlawed speed traps entirely

tho louisiana is doin something p hilarious to buttfuck these little speed trap towns

Fueled by anger over speeding tickets, a Louisiana House panel approved a bill Monday that would require municipalities that collect more than 50 percent of their revenue from the citations to label themselves as a “speed trap” and pay for a blinking highway sign that says just that.

“Revenue-based law enforcement is the wrong way to go in this state,” said state Rep. Steven E. Pylant, R-Delhi, sponsor of House Bill 961.

Exactly what the signs would look like is unclear.

The measure says they are to include blinking lights and be posted at the entry to the community.

Municipalities that fail to erect them would see revenue from the speeding tickets redirected to the state treasury.

this rules

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

is a man not entitled to the horsepower on his brow

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
reminder that going 80 instead of 65 on a 20 mile trip saves you three loving minutes you thoughtless piece of poo poo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thesoro posted:

reminder that going 80 instead of 65 on a 20 mile trip saves you three loving minutes you thoughtless piece of poo poo

sure is a good thing all trips are exactly 20 miles you idiot

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

fishmech nooooo :(

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*comes speeding into thread, flattening a "municipal" traffic camera pedestal installed and operated by a for-profit traffic camera company*

hey y'all should read this

basically these companies get a big wet cut of all fines collected so ofc there's all kinds of corruption

other places have even had things like retiming traffic lights so that the yellow phase is shorter or having no "all red" phase - this increases violations (and crashes) b/c all of a sudden people don't have enough time to stop

or they'll ratchet up the "accuracy" of the speed cameras during school zone hours so that it'll catch people <2mph over the temporary limit (<2 is regarded as being wildly inaccurate for this use)

or they'll have some kinda wacky appeals process since it's a company that's running the show through traffic law channels so they can basically do whatever in a lotta cases like having an "appeals fine" that's more than the ticket - tho this route sometimes means that there's no criminal repercussion to just ignoring the camera ticket, like what's currently happening now in louisiana

basically gently caress speed traps they are a terrible and dangerous method of enforcement but double gently caress speed cameras since in america they can only be run by private companies for some idiotic reason

wasnt there a mayor or something in italy charged with creating gridlock so people would get trapped in the middle of intersections and the red light cams would just click click click and you couldnt move or fight it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Thesoro posted:

reminder that travelling 65 on a roadway designed for 80 means that you're probably travelling ~15 slower than the rest of the traffic thus presenting an incredibly dangerous speed differential and risking the lives of everyone around you due to your rigid adherence to posted speed limits

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

congress is the worst

it was nixon tbh

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

reminder that travelling 65 on a roadway designed for 80 means that you're probably travelling ~15 slower than the rest of the traffic thus presenting an incredibly dangerous speed differential and risking the lives of everyone around you due to your rigid adherence to posted speed limits

agreed, and in some places the cops will even ticket you for causing a hazard.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

sure is a good thing all trips are exactly 20 miles you idiot

what is the optimal train speed, fishmech?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

it was nixon tbh

the last liberal president

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Main Paineframe posted:

420.69 mph

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Main Paineframe posted:

as fast as you can w/o triggering overpressure booms as the train enters a tunnel

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thesoro posted:

I really don't see the big deal about going 5-10 over in good conditions on the freeway, and our state patrol tends to agree.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

I really don't see the big deal about going 5-10 over in good conditions on the freeway, and our state patrol tends to agree.

gently caress you

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Solkanar512 posted:

"8 and you won't be late. 9 and you're mine" - state trooper buddy

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i look at speed traps and see exactly the types of people they piss off and it just makes me think they're universally a good thing.

drivers should just be arbitrarily ticketed anyway. like, just for being a motorist.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i look at speed traps and see exactly the types of people they piss off and it just makes me think they're universally a good thing.

drivers should just be arbitrarily ticketed anyway. like, just for being a motorist.

agreed

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

"8 and you won't be late. 9 and you're mine" - state trooper buddy

Close enough for me.

As a Millennial I posted:

gently caress you

WA is proposing additional fines for people who travel too slowly in the passing lane on a freeway. Suck on that.

• Locked thread