Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Spitballing with my old FLGS group, my ordnance fix is a modification (cost 0-2, not sure what's "right") that lets you take a target lock and a focus as a single action, but if you don't use the target lock this turn it's discarded during the end phase. Call it Munitions Guidance Array or something suitably fluffy.

As another balance point, possibly also require you to use the focus and target lock on the same attack, i.e. if you use the granted focus for defense you can't use the TL and it gets discarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ordnance shouldn't be viable as fighter-to-fighter weapons, really. They were only used that way twice in all the movies, and never in the OT.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Madurai posted:

Ordnance shouldn't be viable as fighter-to-fighter weapons, really. They were only used that way twice in all the movies, and never in the OT.

Your avatar would disagree :colbert:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Madurai posted:

This isn't the game of the films, though, as mentioned about a million times. It's the game of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and the Rogue Squadron games, where ordnance is used against snubfighters all the time.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

overdesigned posted:

Your avatar would disagree :colbert:

Touché.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This isn't the game of the films, though, as mentioned about a million times. It's the game of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and the Rogue Squadron games, where ordnance is used against snubfighters all the time.

Regrettably, yes.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Someone at my league night had an interesting idea for ordinance. If the missile/torpedo has at least one hit, cancel all defense dice. This was to make it a more thematic, either you evade the missile, or it hits and does full damage. So nimble tie fighters are likely to evade the missile, but if it hits, they are pretty much dead.

It would probably take some tweaking of current ordinance cards, but would make their costs viable if they were more likely to hit for full damage.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Orvin posted:

Someone at my league night had an interesting idea for ordinance. If the missile/torpedo has at least one hit, cancel all defense dice. This was to make it a more thematic, either you evade the missile, or it hits and does full damage. So nimble tie fighters are likely to evade the missile, but if it hits, they are pretty much dead.

It would probably take some tweaking of current ordinance cards, but would make their costs viable if they were more likely to hit for full damage.

I approve of all lethality-increasing mods.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, that would actually gently caress over rebels way more than imps, since most of their ships can't even roll enough dice to possibly evade.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yeah that's too bad because it would otherwise be a pretty neat idea, thematically, especially in a world populated by bare TIE ships.
But with so many Imp ships fielding ordinance that rule would just wreck B-wings.
....wait that sounds great actually

gently caress me though despite all this talk about ordinance improvements and what is thematicarllry corract, has anyone actually ever loving
fired a proton torpedo out of an x-wing and thought "man that was worth the time and points"? Fix THAT.

Also

(best viewed wider than your physical screen)

All said and done my heart yet yearns for the Assault Gunboat. :colbert:

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

One time I used Jek Porkins with push the limit, R7-T1 and an advanced proton torpedo to one shot an annoying soontir. Totally worth it .

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

soulfulspinster posted:

One time I used Jek Porkins with push the limit, R7-T1 and an advanced proton torpedo to one shot an annoying soontir. Totally worth it .

I did something similar with a Y-Wing against an opponent's A-Wing that had been giving me grief, just blew the little bastard into pieces. It's a good feeling.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
You're right, I'm just gonna do a trench run.

Biggs + R5-P9
Wedge + Expose
Luke + R2-D2 + Deadeye + Proton Torpedoes

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is Armada chat cool here too?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DJ Dizzy posted:

There's been some already, I say go for it. There's not quite enough Armada stuff out there to merit a full fledged thread at the moment.

yellowjournalism posted:

Biggs + R5-P9
Wedge + Expose

Gonna run this list once I pick up the Rebel Transport for my third X-Wing (plus, y'know, all the other poo poo).

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Goes here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658006

NINJA EDIT TO CORRECT THREAD

Madurai fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 21, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Armada isn't really a roleplaying game. Unless you are roleplaying a grand moff eradicating rebel scum.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DJ Dizzy posted:

Armada isn't really a roleplaying game. Unless you are roleplaying a grand moff eradicating rebel scum.

To be fair if you're playing Armada you pretty much ought to be doing this as a matter of course.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

DJ Dizzy posted:

Not with wave 1. I think a Grand Moff would rate a better flagship than a Victory II.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

DJ Dizzy posted:

Tarkin does come in the core set, doesn't he?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Here's where all the Armada posts should be

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

yellowjournalism posted:

Biggs + R5-P9
Wedge + Expose

I ran something similar to this at my last Friday Night Spaceships. I ran the ridiculous Tarn Mison build with R7 Astromech, with Luke and Wedge flying backup. My opponent unwisely only focused one fighter on Tarn, so he got to keep abusing his combo and forcing misses.

Also did a joke Tycho list the same night. Tycho with PTL, Experimental Interface, and Expert Handling. Brought Mango-Vrill to be my actual damage machine, and Knave Squadron pilot just to fill out points. Tycho ends up with a stack of stress tokens taller than he is on the table without doing much good, Vrill flubs almost every shot, and the "hey you get in here" Knave Squadron pilot takes four kills to be MVP.

:shrug:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I expect we'd see a lot more of Tarn Mison + R7 if he didn't come with the Transport, which I suspect is the least bought ship in the game after the CR90.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Endman posted:

I expect we'd see a lot more of Tarn Mison + R7 if he didn't come with the Transport, which I suspect is the least bought ship in the game after the CR90.

Tarn Mison is a joke. He's a funny joke, but he's a unique phenomenon - a named pilot with a PS below a standard squadron pilot.

(Yes, I know Royal Guard Pilots have a higher PS than some named TIE Interceptor pilots. They're also not in the stock TIE Interceptor pack.)

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Cobbsprite posted:

Tarn Mison is a joke. He's a funny joke, but he's a unique phenomenon - a named pilot with a PS below a standard squadron pilot.

(Yes, I know Royal Guard Pilots have a higher PS than some named TIE Interceptor pilots. They're also not in the stock TIE Interceptor pack.)

No need to waste brain cells remembering that Interceptor pilots without EPTs exist.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Played a 3-way fight tonight. My TIE swarm (3 academy pilots, 3 saber squadron pilots) vs a falcon and a HWK vs Vader, Mithel, and a couple black squadron pilots. Knocked the falcon down to 1 hull, nearly killed Vader, 2 enemy TIEs were vaporized, and I came in 2nd with 1 interceptor and 2 fighters left on the board. Called the game after a certain time, but the Falcon and the HWK were on their last turn anyways and the other guy would have probably killed off my TIEs one by one with Vader and a black squadron pilot or two left over vs my 2 academy pilots and 1 wounded saber squadron pilot. Good game, would definitely play again. I'm surprised my fighters lasted as long as they did, staying at max range with them while taking pot shots at the Falcon seemed to be the best way of dealing with the large ship.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

No need to waste brain cells remembering that Interceptor pilots without EPTs exist.

Bullshite. 5x Alpha Squadron Pilot with Autothrusters all day long. It's a very luck-dependent build ... you can whiff or do massive damage depending on your luck, but I love it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm trying to get stuff figured out for if I want to do tournaments:

So when it comes to "initiative" the player that has it does all of their movement first, then the other player moves.

During action phase do we still go off of low PS pilots first and do we still go off of the initiative or is it a free-for-all?

Ditto question for combat phase except I know that high PS pilots fire first.

I ask because I may have misinterpreted the core rules, and when playing with friends we basically just had the action and combat phases be free-for-alls and if that isn't actually legal I should probably know that now :v:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Aces High posted:

I'm trying to get stuff figured out for if I want to do tournaments:

So when it comes to "initiative" the player that has it does all of their movement first, then the other player moves.

During action phase do we still go off of low PS pilots first and do we still go off of the initiative or is it a free-for-all?

Ditto question for combat phase except I know that high PS pilots fire first.

I ask because I may have misinterpreted the core rules, and when playing with friends we basically just had the action and combat phases be free-for-alls and if that isn't actually legal I should probably know that now :v:

You move in order of PS lowest to highest. If you tie at all on the PS of any of your ships whoever has initiative goes first. Thats all initiative really is is a tie breaker between pilots with the same PS.

You do your action right after you move. Activation phase is movement+action theres no separate phase for both. firing is a different phase

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

You move in order of PS lowest to highest. If you tie at all on the PS of any of your ships whoever has initiative goes first. Thats all initiative really is is a tie breaker between pilots with the same PS.

You do your action right after you move. Activation phase is movement+action theres no separate phase for both. firing is a different phase

Let's say you have three ships, the other player has three ships. Your ships have PS 1, 3, and 5. His ships have PS 2, 3, and 4. You have initiative. The sequence will look like this:

YOUR PS1 ship will move (and action).
HIS PS2 ship will move (and action).
YOUR PS3 ship will move (and action), then HIS PS3 ship will move (and action).
HIS PS4 ship will move (and action).
YOUR PS5 ship will move (and action).

YOUR PS 5 ship will shoot.
HIS PS4 ship will shoot.
YOUR PS3 ship will shoot, then HIS PS3 ship will move.
HIS PS2 ship will shoot.
YOUR PS1 ship will shoot.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
poo poo, really? I thought whoever has initiative moves second and shoots first, as if that pilot has a higher pilot skill. I've only played casually with a couple friends, never in a competitive setting. More often than not I show up at their house bearing bad news starting with "Remeber last game when we did such and such? Yeeeeeeeah, so…"

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Tacopocalypse posted:

poo poo, really? I thought whoever has initiative moves second and shoots first, as if that pilot has a higher pilot skill. I've only played casually with a couple friends, never in a competitive setting. More often than not I show up at their house bearing bad news starting with "Remeber last game when we did such and such? Yeeeeeeeah, so…"

Yeah, that one threw me for a loop, too. Initiative moves first AND shoots first. If you're using arc-dodgers, then it can be advantageous to give the opposing player initiative so that you can boost/barrel roll out of their firing arc once they've moved. It's situational, but it can be useful in skilled hands.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

In a competitive setting, if the game goes to time with an even number of squad points remaining on both sides, the player with initiative wins. Something to consider at a tournament.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Endman posted:

Speaking of the Transport, does anyone have any experience with the linked campaign that comes with it, the escape from Hoth? Good, bad, indifferent? Worth trying?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

FuSchnick posted:

Tarkin does come in the core set, doesn't he?

In Armada, to have a legal fleet you must have an Admiral. Ships can have individual Commanders but the Admiral can go on any of your ships (and it becomes your flagship), however you can only have one Admiral and you lose his ability when the flagship is destroyed. Tarkin is the Core set Admiral for the Imps (and his ability is pretty boss). Wave 1 adds Admiral Motti (dude who gets choked out by Vader in A New Hope in Death Star conference room A) and Admiral Screed (an Anime).

Rebels get General Dodonna in the core who is pretty good, and Wave 1 adds Mon Mothma and General Bel Ibis (never heard of this guy, also looks like an Anime).

The Admirals are a pretty interesting mechanic, with fleet wide abilities but quite an expensive cost. A VSD II costs 85 points, and Tarkin is 38. (Core games are 180 pts, Wave 1 games are 300pts and the intention is Wave 2 games become 400pts)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Kai Tave posted:

Speaking of the Transport, does anyone have any experience with the linked campaign that comes with it, the escape from Hoth? Good, bad, indifferent? Worth trying?

Bad. Most of the missions require multiple transports, and there's literally zero reason to buy more than one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Endman posted:

Bad. Most of the missions require multiple transports, and there's literally zero reason to buy more than one.

Sorry, what? The book comes with four missions, only one of which requires three transports. The other three just use one.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

They are meant to be played as a campaign though, iirc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tekopo posted:

They are meant to be played as a campaign though, iirc.

Well the three missions that call for a single transport are labled H1 through H3, while the fourth one that calls for three transports is "Mission 8" so my impression is that the three transport mission is a standalone thing you do if, I guess, a bunch of people show up to play and have transports or you have more money than sense, but the actual "escape from Hoth" campaign is just those first three missions. The campaign sheets that come with the set for both the Rebel and Imperial side also only go up to three missions.

I'm going to guess that this is basically uncharted territory then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

My mistake, I thought nearly all of them required more than one. In that case, I say give them a go.

• Locked thread