Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

quote:

A few pages late, but let me say not slapping a combo magnifier/light on that poo poo is the real scandal that'll bring down Hillary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

William Bear posted:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/nc-gop-state-convention-2015-tickets-15377554680

Here's an interesting thing to note. The North Carolina state GOP is holding its state convention June 5-7. Speakers already scheduled include keynote speaker Scott Walker, John Bolton, and Donald Trump. By that time in 2011, Donald Trump had stopped humoring the idea that he might run in 2012, and Mitt Romney had already officially announced.

Could Trump and Bolton seriously be running, or do the commitments they have made past the start of primary debate season mean they're just going to keep at it for a while until they couldn't possibly maintain the facade of announcing in the future?

For Trump, he'll keep it going until right before the next season of Celebrity Apprentice, to maximize the publicity. The last season ended in February, so he probably won't drop out until well into the fall.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 21, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

oddium posted:

MEMORY ERROR would probably work better

This needs way more love than it got.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Alter Ego posted:

It seems there is an inverse relationship at work here: the likelihood of a person carrying a pocket Constitution is inversely proportional to the likelihood that they actually know what's in the loving thing.
As someone who has one for class, yeah my memory is poo poo and it's handy.

Isn't TownHall like super right wing? Doesn't surprise me that they only are letting you get conservative choices from that poll.

site fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 21, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

site posted:

As someone who has one for class, yeah my memory is poo poo and it's handy.

Or just use the internet like Ben Franklin intended.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

sullat posted:

Or just use the internet like Ben Franklin intended.
No electronics during class!!!

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Kobayashi posted:

Counterpoint: Dennis Kucinich.

But Dennis Kucinich is a loving tool? :confused:

Spooky Forum Ghost
Mar 9, 2015
Jeb Bush is aiming to have his SuperPAC handle a big chunk of traditional campaign duties

AP posted:

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The traditional presidential campaign may be getting a dramatic makeover in Jeb Bush's bid for the White House as he prepares to turn some of a campaign's central functions over to a separate political organization that can raise unlimited amounts of money.

The concept, in development for months as the former Florida governor has raised tens of millions of dollars for his Right to Rise super PAC, would endow that organization not just with advertising on Bush's behalf, but with many of the duties typically conducted by a campaign.

Should Bush move ahead as his team intends, it is possible that for the first time a super PAC created to support a single candidate would spend more than the candidate's campaign itself — at least through the primaries. Some of Bush's donors believe that to be more than likely.

The architects of the plan believe the super PAC's ability to legally raise unlimited amounts of money outweighs its primary disadvantage, that it cannot legally coordinate its actions with Bush or his would-be campaign staff.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I thought a SuperPAC wasn't allowed to coordinate with a candidate so openly? Or am I getting mixed up with the way things were before the court ruling that brought them into existence?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I thought a SuperPAC wasn't allowed to coordinate with a candidate so openly? Or am I getting mixed up with the way things were before the court ruling that brought them into existence?

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/3pwzi5/colbert-super-pac---not-coordinating-with-stephen-colbert

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Tiler Kiwi posted:

No, you're right, they aren't legally allowed to coordinate with the campaign, but as Colbert showed us very expertly, that's a pretty thin veil that's pretty easy to get around.

e: ^^^ yeah, that

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Well yeah, but this sounds more blatant than the usual "wink-wink nudge-nudge" style of coordination.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Well yeah, but this sounds more blatant than the usual "wink-wink nudge-nudge" style of coordination.

I for one am glad that campaigns are finally dropping the ridiculous facade since the public and the courts have made it clear that campaign finance reform is as likely as an executive order granting every american a unicorn

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
werent pacs literally just posting "encrypted" poll numbers on nobody twitter accounts for campaigns to read and vice versa?

haha check out this gibberish only one person knows where to check hahaha haha hah...

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

2016 will be fun if this trend continues.

site posted:

Isn't TownHall like super right wing?

Yes.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

WKAR Public TV talk show Off The Record got rather salty this week. At one point Eric Baerran called Ted Cruz a clown. Hilarity ensues.

http://video.wkar.org/video/2365453758/

Skip to 17:50 for anyone not interested in a lively discussion about funding Michigan roads.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

werent pacs literally just posting "encrypted" poll numbers on nobody twitter accounts for campaigns to read and vice versa?

haha check out this gibberish only one person knows where to check hahaha haha hah...

Not encrypted, just stripped of context, but yeah. Transparently flouting the law, like siblings playing "I'm not touching you" to pick a fight

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It's legal for a candidate to state publicly what he would like his SuperPAC to do, because technically he's not directly giving them orders. The law against coordination is a joke.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Am I crazy to think/hope that someone like Gov. Cuomo (NY) or Lt. Gov. Newsom runs? Maybe not for President but cause enough noise to go for VP?

I kind of hope someone interesting runs vs. Hillary or maybe she is really good at locking poo poo down before running.

Sorry for formatting I am on mobile at the airport.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Fried Chicken posted:

Not encrypted, just stripped of context, but yeah. Transparently flouting the law, like siblings playing "I'm not touching you" to pick a fight

they used weird shorthand that was a bit difficult to decipher is what i meant by "encrypted" but yeah.

lol.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

They also made an account for a west wing character to do this on.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

oh god no, please keep cuomo away from vp

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

As funny as it would be to see a former New York Senator and a New York governor on the same ticket, it's not gonna happen

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Chamale posted:

It's legal for a candidate to state publicly what he would like his SuperPAC to do, because technically he's not directly giving them orders. The law against coordination is a joke.

No it isn't.

quote:

(d) Conduct standards. Any one of the following types of conduct satisfies the conduct standard of this section whether or not there is agreement or formal collaboration, as defined in paragraph (e) of this section:
(1) Request or suggestion.
(i) The communication is created, produced, or distributed at the request or suggestion of a candidate, authorized committee, or political party committee; or
(ii) The communication is created, produced, or distributed at the suggestion of a person paying for the communication and the candidate, authorized committee, or political party committee assents to the suggestion.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

As funny as it would be to see a former New York Senator and a New York governor on the same ticket, it's not gonna happen

It would basically be the Bush dodge, democrat redux.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

Am I crazy to think/hope that someone like Gov. Cuomo (NY) or Lt. Gov. Newsom runs?
Cuomo is a gigantic rear end in a top hat who barely even qualifies as a Democrat. The only good part of him running would be garnering 1% of the vote.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

So does that mean Newt Gingrich broke the law in 2012 when he publicly requested his SuperPAC stop airing a particular attack ad?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DaveWoo posted:

So does that mean Newt Gingrich broke the law in 2012 when he publicly requested his SuperPAC stop airing a particular attack ad?

He almost certainly did, even though it'd never be enforced against him.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Enforcement is a joke, technically.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Huh. I assumed it was legal de jury because Gingrich did it, I guess it's only de facto legal.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

DaveWoo posted:

Possibly. Even if he did, the FEC is terrible at actually handling those cases. Since 1999, the FEC has only investigated PAC-campaign coordination 3 times. Only two of those cases led to fines, which totaled $26 grand.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Pathetic

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
How's Vermin Supreme's numbers these days?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

William Bear posted:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/nc-gop-state-convention-2015-tickets-15377554680

Here's an interesting thing to note. The North Carolina state GOP is holding its state convention June 5-7. Speakers already scheduled include keynote speaker Scott Walker, John Bolton, and Donald Trump. By that time in 2011, Donald Trump had stopped humoring the idea that he might run in 2012, and Mitt Romney had already officially announced.

Could Trump and Bolton seriously be running, or do the commitments they have made past the start of primary debate season mean they're just going to keep at it for a while until they couldn't possibly maintain the facade of announcing in the future?

Does Bolton have any experience beyond being a tremendous rear end in a top hat?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Mr Jaunts posted:

Possibly. Even if he did, the FEC is terrible at actually handling those cases. Since 1999, the FEC has only investigated PAC-campaign coordination 3 times. Only two of those cases led to fines, which totaled $26 grand.

That article is from before the 2012 elections. I quickly found two investigations just off of that:
http://eqs.fec.gov/eqsdocsMUR/13044350366.pdf
http://eqs.fec.gov/eqsdocsMUR/13044350548.pdf
Criminal conviction: http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...9ca6_story.html

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Enigma89 posted:

Am I crazy to think/hope that someone like Gov. Cuomo (NY) or Lt. Gov. Newsom runs? Maybe not for President but cause enough noise to go for VP?

I kind of hope someone interesting runs vs. Hillary or maybe she is really good at locking poo poo down before running.

I doubt it

First, I feel like both of them are party insiders enough to know that Hillary does, in fact, have poo poo locked down. Second, I don't think either of them really makes sense as VP - Cuomo provides no balance at all and Newsom is only a lieutenant gov at the moment. Third, Newsom is... a very strong probability to be the next governor of CA, and while I'm sure he wouldn't turn down a VP slot, I would assume that his plans are more centered around the governor thing.

Probably better to just come to terms with a boring-rear end Dem primary

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Enigma89 posted:

Sorry for formatting I am on mobile at the airport.

Cuomo's part of Hillary's people so he wouldn't cross her by running for president and Newsom's already announced he's going for Moonbeam's job.

Also either Cuomo or Hillary would have to change residences if he were to angle for a VP slot.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Cuomo is also a massive piece of poo poo so he's got that going for him. Nothing like his father.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Rincewinds posted:

Does Bolton have any experience beyond being a tremendous rear end in a top hat?

Regardless, you must admit he's a goddamn master within that one field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Series DD Funding posted:

That article is from before the 2012 elections. I quickly found two investigations just off of that:
http://eqs.fec.gov/eqsdocsMUR/13044350366.pdf
http://eqs.fec.gov/eqsdocsMUR/13044350548.pdf
Criminal conviction: http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...9ca6_story.html

Yes, and? Both of those cases were closed without further investigation and the criminal investigation was the first of its kind. The WaPo article even notes that of 29 complaints of coordination in the past 5 years, only one was investigated. It's really not that big of a stretch to say that enforcement of the rules regarding coordination are not enforced as strictly as they should.

Furthermore, since the FEC is split evenly between Democrat and Republican members, it's nearly impossible to get a majority vote to strengthen the rules.

• Locked thread