Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I'm still fairly new to smoking so I have stupid questions time to time... the water pan, particularly in the mastebuilt 40'. How much water should be in there, should you fill it up once it start evaporating into the cook, etc. I've read different things about it so I'm not too sure

It depends on what you are smoking really. If it something you don't want to dry out then keep it filled/don't let it all evaporate. I don't even use mine half the time. It becomes more of a grease drip pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Yeah I've typically done about half way and that's what I did today with ribs and beans. Only about 4 hrs at 225 so I didn't think there was reason to add more water. It came out really good. The bark was good but I've done better- i think that was because I realized I forgot to rub it down with some oil before throwing it in. I've done without in the past and not noiced a ton of difference though. I'm doing a pork butt overnight tonight so I figured I'd try refilled first thing in the AM to experiment but just wanted to know if anyone has input

thanks!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Do electric smokers really not bark the meats?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

toplitzin posted:

You get bark, no smoke ring though.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tivac posted:

You get bark, no smoke ring though.

Has science determined why?
Just idle speculation as i'm still debating pulling the trigger on that electric smoker.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Trastion posted:

It depends on what you are smoking really. If it something you don't want to dry out then keep it filled/don't let it all evaporate. I don't even use mine half the time. It becomes more of a grease drip pan.

The word about town is that the water pan acts only as a heat sink to stabilize temps and does not contribute at all to the moistness of the meat. Many people forgo the water or replace it with sand or a terracotta saucer.

toplitzin posted:

Has science determined why?
Just idle speculation as i'm still debating pulling the trigger on that electric smoker.

It has to do with the carbon monoxide reacting with a protein called myoglobin. There are many reasons plus and negative to get an electric smoker, but the lack of a smoke ring should be at the bottom of any list. It's just pink meat that looks pretty to some and gross to others and makes no difference at all to the taste or texture.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I do not put any water in the pan. In the wsm I foiled it. The bge doesn't have one.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Canuckistan posted:

It has to do with the carbon monoxide reacting with a protein called myoglobin. There are many reasons plus and negative to get an electric smoker, but the lack of a smoke ring should be at the bottom of any list. It's just pink meat that looks pretty to some and gross to others and makes no difference at all to the taste or texture.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

Just to be clear, I wasn't arguing against an electric smoker due to lack of a smoke ring. I love my masterbuilt! Set it and forget it smoking is amazing so long as you're Ok with not being able to get REALLY hot.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I have both an 18.5 WSM which I love and a small electric unit (not masterbuilt). I love the electric one because it can hold lower temps (~150) with ease for when I want to do some salmon/trout and need that lower temp. It is also great for doing shoulders when I don't wanna fuss with the charcoal. Not hot enough to do chicken/turkey, though.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

toplitzin posted:

I've had no problem getting bark on anything. Here's my overnight project (complete with a begging dog who is begging for his birthday treat... he's 11 now!)

about 10 lbs, done at 250. Unfortunately I was overestimated the cook time on this. It probably was ready at like 8 am and I didn't notice until I woke around 930 and it read 200+ all over. I was shooting for it to be ready around 2-3 since I am leaving for a party around 4. I dropped it in around 12 last night. Previously I also did shoulder at 225.

I think this is in part due to me not waiting long enough to get it up to room temp yesterday before dropping in. It was only on the counter for an hour or so after yanking out of the fridge. The crust is good, but the meat at the surface and just below is definitely a little tough/bordering on overcooked. The inner most is definitely better, and the bark is better than any of the other times I did this.

However, the other thing I noticed is that I really should have done mustard rub before dropping my rub on it. I read several things about whether or not the mustard was pork across the board or just ribs so I figured I'd experiement. Definitely missing that flavor.

I am also wondering if I overdid the salt which is why the surface dried a bit. My rub (basically Mephis dust on Amazing Ribs) is really low on salt so that I can do that as a I please individually. I definitely put more salt on it than I normally do since my past attmepts with pulled pork have been good but I felt like the salt and rub never penetrated much beyond the surface level. I'm not quite sure how much that's supposed to go... I let the rub only sit for like 4-5 hours yesterday since I was busy and didn't have time to salt and rub it earlier. In the past I've don about 8 usually. Would love some advice on this. Also, does the quality of oil matter? I've usually seen veggie oil being the go-to. Would grapeseed be better for the higher smoke point?

Also another thing is how much do you guys trim the fat and skin? I think I may have over did it on this one. I know too much fat can prevent the smoke and rub from penetrating but the most moist parts on this were the inner stuff and the parst that had the most fat.

I was going to foil and wait for this for my party later but I figured there was such a drat long wait that I'm just gonna do something with pulled pork for breakfast. So that in mind, what's the best way to reheat without drying out? I saved the skin with some fat attached if that matters. Also pork rind recipes are good too.....

thanks in advance again! Everyone's always so helpful

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Alright guys, I moved to Arabia and I had to leave my smoker with a friend back in wisconsin..

Now I have a medium sized knock off weber-style grill that I'm considering using to smoke some ribs in the curled fashion with skewers holding them together.

I've never tried smoking off a weber grill so I plan on reading up on it on the usual .com resources. I was wondering if you guys have any quick protips though that might help me out.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I've had no problem getting bark on anything. Here's my overnight project (complete with a begging dog who is begging for his birthday treat... he's 11 now!)

about 10 lbs, done at 250. Unfortunately I was overestimated the cook time on this. It probably was ready at like 8 am and I didn't notice until I woke around 930 and it read 200+ all over. I was shooting for it to be ready around 2-3 since I am leaving for a party around 4. I dropped it in around 12 last night. Previously I also did shoulder at 225.

I always do my shoulders at 225-235. I live in terror that I will overcook it at 250. Still astounded that it finished in only 8 hours.

quote:

I think this is in part due to me not waiting long enough to get it up to room temp yesterday before dropping in. It was only on the counter for an hour or so after yanking out of the fridge. The crust is good, but the meat at the surface and just below is definitely a little tough/bordering on overcooked. The inner most is definitely better, and the bark is better than any of the other times I did this.

However, the other thing I noticed is that I really should have done mustard rub before dropping my rub on it. I read several things about whether or not the mustard was pork across the board or just ribs so I figured I'd experiement. Definitely missing that flavor.

Mustard is mandatory when I smoke pork butts. Not so much with ribs. I feel like the rib rub I use gives it enough flavor it doesn't need the mustard. I also like my ribs dry so "to each their own" on that front.

quote:

I am also wondering if I overdid the salt which is why the surface dried a bit. My rub (basically Mephis dust on Amazing Ribs) is really low on salt so that I can do that as a I please individually. I definitely put more salt on it than I normally do since my past attmepts with pulled pork have been good but I felt like the salt and rub never penetrated much beyond the surface level. I'm not quite sure how much that's supposed to go... I let the rub only sit for like 4-5 hours yesterday since I was busy and didn't have time to salt and rub it earlier. In the past I've don about 8 usually. Would love some advice on this. Also, does the quality of oil matter? I've usually seen veggie oil being the go-to. Would grapeseed be better for the higher smoke point?

Are you adding extra salt to your low-salt Memphis rub? I would not recommend that. I, too, love Memphis rubs and the flavor it provides is not in the salt. Then again I don't do Memphis style on my butts as I tend to pair my pulled pork with a Carolina mustard sauce and usually aim for more sweetness to counter the vinegar.

As far as the oil, if I need to use any (ie-brisket injection), I usually use veggie or, believe it or not, olive. These are low temps we are working with. no need for crazy oils. (side note: grapeseed has a lower smoke point(390F) than veggie/canola(400-450F))

quote:

Also another thing is how much do you guys trim the fat and skin? I think I may have over did it on this one. I know too much fat can prevent the smoke and rub from penetrating but the most moist parts on this were the inner stuff and the parst that had the most fat.

No trimming. Keep the fat facing the heavens. It peels off effortlessly after cooking and leaves a very moist final product that is nigh-impossible to accidentally dry out while cooking. Make sure you let the rub sit long enough to penetrate (you can also inject) the meat. I generally try to leave anything I've rubbed and wrapped in the fridge for 12 or so hours before going on the smoker. There are slight exceptions for certain things but for pork it is a good rule of thumb to make sure you get good penetration.

quote:

I was going to foil and wait for this for my party later but I figured there was such a drat long wait that I'm just gonna do something with pulled pork for breakfast. So that in mind, what's the best way to reheat without drying out? I saved the skin with some fat attached if that matters. Also pork rind recipes are good too.....

The best way I know is to store in ziploc/vacuum sealed bags and to toss them into boiling water for a few minutes to reheat. Prevents any moisture loss. If you haven't stored/completely shredded it yet then only remove what you need and wrap the rest up tight in towel/cooler as custom demands. Or just shred it completely into a tray, slop some sauce in there and let it ride. Be sure to cover when reheating at your gathering.

quote:

thanks in advance again! Everyone's always so helpful
:thumbsup:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

davey4283 posted:

Alright guys, I moved to Arabia and I had to leave my smoker with a friend back in wisconsin..

Now I have a medium sized knock off weber-style grill that I'm considering using to smoke some ribs in the curled fashion with skewers holding them together.

I've never tried smoking off a weber grill so I plan on reading up on it on the usual .com resources. I was wondering if you guys have any quick protips though that might help me out.

Low and slow, baby. Try to come up with a way to avoid direct heat. How big is your grill (diameter)? Are you in the middle of nowhere or do you have ready access to stores and such.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Crazyeyes posted:

Low and slow, baby. Try to come up with a way to avoid direct heat. How big is your grill (diameter)? Are you in the middle of nowhere or do you have ready access to stores and such.

I'm in abu dhabi so I've got access to some ok hardware stores like ace. They've got apple and cherry chips around here if you look hard enough for it.

I also was able to find competition Kingsford briquettes so I was gonna do the water pan on one side, and charcoal on the other with a pouch of foil chips.

The grill grate was rusted out when I got the unit so when I replaced it I was able to find a nice weber one that swings up on the edges which will allow me to change out the wood chip foil pouches.

I only have a meat thermometer though so I'll have to get an ambient temp thermometer and figure out how to rig it.

Ive got a vertical propane Brinkman back home so I haven't smoked with a charcoal heat source before. It should be interesting.

Edit:

I just measured the grill and it's 18 inches across.

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 4, 2015

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My WSM had developed a nasty mold problem during winter. My fault for keeping it outside and not prepping it in any way. Previous years it's been in a shed and never had problems. Anyway I burned it out twice and then cleaned it out good, and burned it out a 3rd time afterwards. Then I smoked some pork, first time I got to use my smoking wood chunks, went for apple and mesquite (I really wanted to try this even though it's supposed to go better with beef), also put a pan of beans underneath the meat. All turned out swimmingly, much better results from this wood than hickory which is what I've used in the past. Mesquite smells real good too, made the whole yard smell nice.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Got the WSM cleaned and burned out multiple times, never been this clean since I bought it.

Trying my hand at smoking meatloaf.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

His Divine Shadow posted:

Got the WSM cleaned and burned out multiple times, never been this clean since I bought it.

Whats that underneath in the pan and how was it? I've been thinking about trying it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That's a buncha beans, some onions, jalapenos and a bell pepper, they turn out very well IMO. I like them on the sweet side so I add a bit of sugar or molasses. This time the cook time was not as long as with another type of meat so it's reducing in the oven now.

e: And I use canned beans for the simplicity, otherwise a length presoak is absolutely needed I think, and even then...

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

That's a buncha beans, some onions, jalapenos and a bell pepper, they turn out very well IMO. I like them on the sweet side so I add a bit of sugar or molasses. This time the cook time was not as long as with another type of meat so it's reducing in the oven now.

e: And I use canned beans for the simplicity, otherwise a length presoak is absolutely needed I think, and even then...

No shame in using canned beans. I do because I don't need to add another day to an all-day cook.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Some andouille I made for a party. :)

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

feelz good man posted:

Some andouille I made for a party. :)

Do you just take regular Italian sausage and smoke it?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

That's a buncha beans, some onions, jalapenos and a bell pepper, they turn out very well IMO. I like them on the sweet side so I add a bit of sugar or molasses.

So just I am understanding this correctly, is this something like what you do?

Canned beans - say pintos or kidneys or something, but not sauced beans like premade BBQ beans. Do you drain these, or use them with the liquid from the can?
Chopped up onions and peppers
Molasses or (brown) sugar

Stick all of this in a foil tray underneath something fatty on the smoker to collect smoke and drippings.

'Cause drat it, this sounds really good and now I want to go get a shoulder just so I can make some beans.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Crazyeyes posted:

Do you just take regular Italian sausage and smoke it?
No, it's completely different. The main flavour profile is cayenne/garlic/allspice and pecan wood smoke. Also I ground about 75% of the meat and hand chopped the last bit for a nice chunky texture.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

What temp and for how long did you smoke that meatloaf?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

^^^
Almost 4 hours at 250F or a bit above. I ran it a bit hotter than I normally do.

Jo3sh posted:

So just I am understanding this correctly, is this something like what you do?

Canned beans - say pintos or kidneys or something, but not sauced beans like premade BBQ beans. Do you drain these, or use them with the liquid from the can?
Chopped up onions and peppers
Molasses or (brown) sugar

Stick all of this in a foil tray underneath something fatty on the smoker to collect smoke and drippings.

'Cause drat it, this sounds really good and now I want to go get a shoulder just so I can make some beans.

Yeah that's basically it, I drain them myself and use water so it's not too salty but that depends on your preferences.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

^^^
Almost 4 hours at 250F or a bit above. I ran it a bit hotter than I normally do.

Yeah that's basically it, I drain them myself and use water so it's not too salty but that depends on your preferences.

Is there an internal temp I should shoot for?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

^^^

I think some beer in there would be good too. OK, I'm doing this soon. Maybe not this weekend, but probably next at the latest.

Thanks!

EDIT: Seems we're on tomorrow. Went to the local carniceria and picked up a small butt for $1.99/lb. Then I went to the regular grocery store and saw they had butts for $1.79/lb., so I bought one there, too. Now I have a butt rubbed in the fridge and another one in the freezer for next time.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 19, 2015

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

feelz good man posted:

No, it's completely different. The main flavour profile is cayenne/garlic/allspice and pecan wood smoke. Also I ground about 75% of the meat and hand chopped the last bit for a nice chunky texture.

There's no way I have space for a meat grinder, but how do you think 75% preground then the rest hand chopped would work?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Whoop! Got the first smoke of the year going, and I have no idea what I am making!

I made a beef injection of kosher salt, red pepper, a few dashes of curry, onion powder, a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce and some beef stock. Mixed it up and injected it.

Then made a rub of cayenne pepper, garlic powder, minced garlic, and some brown sugar and rubbed it on liberally. Threw the eye round into the smoker and am letting it rip for 5-6 hours or until its 145 internal temp.

Flying at the seat of my pants here, this will be fun!

http://imgur.com/rNGkEsr

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
A hot beef injection on a Sunday afternoon sounds like a fine thing.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Fnarr

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Stringent posted:

There's no way I have space for a meat grinder, but how do you think 75% preground then the rest hand chopped would work?
If you trust your butcher to properly clean his equipment, sure. With sausage like this you're going to be using Cure 1 in it and smoking it in what's usually considered the danger zone. I do a "warm" smoke so that the sausages dry a bit, but not hot enough for the fat to render and ruin the texture.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

This time the cook time was not as long as with another type of meat so it's reducing in the oven now.

Lets say you're doing a full 14 hour smoke with a pork butt, would you put the beans in there from the start of the smoke and leave them in there for the entire duration? (14 hours @ 225/250F)

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Stringent posted:

Don't happen to have a KitchenAid mixer do you? You can get the grinder / injector set for sausage. I wouldn't want to do 50 lbs of sausage with it, but doing 5-10 lbs isn't too bad.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Stringent posted:

If you are super friends with your butcher, you could ask for them to grind a shoulder through a 3/4" plate. It may not be something they can accommodate, but it can't hurt to ask. A lot of people swear by hand chopping the whole thing, but I find the 3/4 plate works very nicely.

Using preground will work well enough if that's all you have access to. It won't have quite the same hammy, chunkiness to them. Still better than the crap Johnsonville calls andouille though.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

atothesquiz posted:

Lets say you're doing a full 14 hour smoke with a pork butt, would you put the beans in there from the start of the smoke and leave them in there for the entire duration? (14 hours @ 225/250F)

What I do with my beans is, since I (usually) put the meat on around midnight before going to sleep, I put the beans on when I wake up and check it out. Thus the beans sit in there collecting juices for ~6-8 hours instead of 16.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Crazyeyes posted:

What I do with my beans is, since I (usually) put the meat on around midnight before going to sleep, I put the beans on when I wake up and check it out. Thus the beans sit in there collecting juices for ~6-8 hours instead of 16.

I must get a better smoker, because there is no way in hell that I could keep mine going for 7 hours without it going out.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Cimber posted:

I must get a better smoker, because there is no way in hell that I could keep mine going for 7 hours without it going out.

Keep adding "fuel"?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Keep adding "fuel"?

so, what. wake up every 2-3 hours during the middle of the night to add fuel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Cimber posted:

so, what. wake up every 2-3 hours during the middle of the night to add fuel?

What are using? That's like weber kettle level of inefficiency.