Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Its hard for people to remember because while bush was disliked by nearly everyone, the absolute vehemence with which republicans have stirred their base into hating obama completely eclipses it
Bush got a lot of support for the first four and a half years of his presidency, feeding off the surge of jingoist sentiment after 9/11. When everyone started to realize his foreign policy escapades were falling apart, they already knew him too well to outright loathe him, and he had already been re-elected anyway, so most people were just jaded and irritated. As opposed to Obama, who faced unified, angry dissent from day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So if you have Twitter and want some top tier entertainment, for the past 24 hours Donald Trump has been in a flame war with the writers of the National Review and The Weekly Standard.

It's pretty magical. :allears:

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Munkeymon posted:

Yes, the point would be to provoke a war that big :ssh:

Remember that part of the reason the situation in Iraq got so bad was because Rumsfeld was adamant on not sending 70,000 troops to occupy the country, IIRC. The situation in Iran would've been a disaster.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

So if you have Twitter and want some top tier entertainment, for the past 24 hours Donald Trump has been in a flame war with the writers of the National Review and The Weekly Standard.

Ahahaha specifically he's been arguing with Jonah Goldberg :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

Future wannabe president, right there :allears:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Job Truniht posted:

Remember that part of the reason the situation in Iraq got so bad was because Rumsfeld was adamant on not sending 70,000 troops to occupy the country, IIRC. The situation in Iran would've been a disaster.

A disaster past the part where they were deliberately plotting to have our troops slaughtered to give casus belli

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Ahahaha specifically he's been arguing with Jonah Goldberg :allears:

I never thought there'd be a situation where I was rooting for Donald Trump

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Job Truniht posted:

No see Rummy wanted to hold back in Iraq so they could send a real invasion force after Iran so it would have been great! No poo poo

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Fried Chicken posted:

If you are finding this incredulous, it's because you've forgotten how bad 2000-2008 was
consider what the results would be if they had won the social security fight, and we has spent the years immediately prior to the crash shoving social security accounts into the market, making those same trades as the banks and investment funds with them.

Reminder for all: the loss of that fight is what W considers to be his biggest failure as a president.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Job Truniht posted:

He wasn't wrong.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Can D&D get an IK already so people can be probated arbitrarily yet? It's done wonders for YOSPOS.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

My Imaginary GF posted:

Have they even apologized for invading American soil? Not conditionally, not something like 'We're so sorry you weatern dogs forced us to burn your cia honeypot to the ground,' but an actual, unconditional apology?

No? If they're not even sorry they invaded America, how the gently caress can we trust them to own the gently caress up to their past nuclear weapon programs and work for a future deal?

To quote Khomeini:

"I'm not an apologize-for-Iran kind of guy. I will never apologize for Iran—I don't care what the facts are."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Most partisans treat politics like sports rivalries, instead of focusing on issues. Oh word?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Meg From Family Guy posted:

He wasn't wrong.

You're right. We shouldn't have sent 70,000 troops, we should have sent zero.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Reminder for all: the loss of that fight is what W considers to be his biggest failure as a president.

I thought it was Kanye West saying he didn't care about black people.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Goons became enraged when that occurred.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Nope. According to Bush that was one of the most disgusting moments of his presidency.
Being called a racist hurt his feelings.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Stereotype posted:

I like how quickly forget how mind bogglingly terrible the Bush presidency was, and how much worse it could have been if they had done everything they wanted

My favorite was Cheney's plan to bomb the tunnel into Georgia while the Russian tanks were inside it.

quote:

"[Hadley] concluded that it was necessary for Bush to know what his closest advisors, Cheney in particular, thought and for the president to have an open discussion with his key cabinet members for the record on whether the United States should consider using its military power to help the Georgians. At a meeting of the Principals Committee on Monday, August 11, Hadley therefore put the military option on the table to see whether there was any support for such steps to help the Georgians repel the Russians. There was not. The president recognized that if the United States started down the path of anything military, they had to be prepared for an escalation and thus, in the end, for fighting Russia."

Yup, we were that close to a hot war with Russia :bravo:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Any inkling of respect I might have had for Kanye was lost when he apologized. You personally irked the drat POTUS, and you take it back? That's some Bush made poo poo.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

That was his most personally hurtful moment, not his biggest regret.

I still have a hard comprehending how we collectively elected that feeb and his clowncar of lightweights and war criminals not once, but twice. Like, if I were to write out a short history of the Bush administration, do a few name changes, and submit it to Weird Tales or something, I'd expect it to be returned for unbelievability.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 21, 2015

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Joementum posted:

My favorite was Cheney's plan to bomb the tunnel into Georgia while the Russian tanks were inside it.

But Obama is just as bad, probably worse even.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Joementum posted:

I'm pretty impressed that it turns out the Bush Administration was far worse in every regard than people thought at the time. And yet I have no doubt that a Republican victory in 2016 would produce an even worse administration.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "Not only 'no', but 'hell no'." ~ Harry Reid, on whether he'll support fast-track authority for the TPA.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What about his injuries makes it so he has to wear sunglasses all the time? Did the mob pour bleach in his eyes?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

What about his injuries makes it so he has to wear sunglasses all the time? Did the mob pour bleach in his eyes?

He's lost all or almost all vision in his right eye where it hit the mob goon's fist bathroom cabinet.

One of his colleagues is helping him out with advice for recovering his vision. Yes, a certain self-certified ophthalmologist...

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

zoux posted:

He has exchanged his sight to gain the vision to see Washington's Kitchen for what it really is.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Dammit, Biden :argh:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Joementum posted:

Dammit, Biden :argh:

Hahahahahaha.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

eSports Chaebol posted:

Any inkling of respect I might have had for Kanye was lost when he apologized. You personally irked the drat POTUS, and you take it back? That's some Bush made poo poo.

Kanye wasn't wrong either.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I still have a hard comprehending how we collectively elected that feeb and his clowncar of lightweights and war criminals not once, but twice. Like, if I were to write out a short history of the Bush administration, do a few name changes, and submit it to Weird Tales or something, I'd expect it to be returned for unbelievability.

This was suppose to be parody, not prophecy. The fact that it was actually prophetic and that it could have been so much worse just proves to anyone that republicans have no god drat business being elected to govern, let alone them having the majority in both houses of congress.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Joementum posted:

I don't think Cheney gave a poo poo where there was a war, just as long as there was one. I really think that he just wanted to kill as many people as he could.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Cheny was a wannabe super villain and came a pretzel's breadth away from having the power to really become one.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Munkeymon posted:

Cheny was a wannabe super villain and came a pretzel's breadth away from having the power to really become one.

Wait, did he stop?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

:3: The young couple.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Stereotype posted:

I like how quickly forget how mind bogglingly terrible the Bush presidency was, and how much worse it could have been if they had done everything they wanted

Also remember that in many of these discussions with Cheney, Wolfowitz, et al, Bush was the voice of reason.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Star Man posted:

I don't think Cheney gave a poo poo where there was a war, just as long as there was one. I really think that he just wanted to kill as many people as he could.

I'm pretty sure he just wanted to make himself and his buddies some money.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm pretty sure he just wanted to make himself and his buddies some money.

More money for Haliburton. How those no bid contracts in Iraq and Afghanistan were never investigated is mind blowing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

radical meme posted:

More money for Haliburton. How those no bid contracts in Iraq and Afghanistan were never investigated is mind blowing.

I'm very willing to believe the pallets of cash that 'disappeared' probably helped create ISIS, not intentionally mind you. But somebody got that cash.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Star Man posted:

The recent interviews with him regarding torture are downright terrifying. The guy comes off as legitimately a maniac who would probably personally pull your balls off with pliers if he thought it could get him what he wanted. I don't think human life even factors into his world view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

radical meme posted:

Remember that the SECs response to substantial proof that Haliburton was committing fraud appears to have been asking them to investigate themselves and then leaking the name of the whistleblower responsible for attracting their attention. (They then found that Haliburton did nothing wrong)

• Locked thread