Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
I even might consider seeing what happens with these 2 weeks, but be triple cautious on any job you accept through them. Sounds like you sorta gave yourself a "not ideal" position with this recruiter. There are SOOOOO many fish in the sea here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

A good recruiter shouldn't be throwing you at a million different interviews. They should spend a lot of time talking to you to figure out what the best fit for you is, and then give you a summary of different positions available.

You don't want just any job, you want the one matches your career goals and personal situation.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

ufsteph posted:

A good recruiter shouldn't be throwing you at a million different interviews. They should spend a lot of time talking to you to figure out what the best fit for you is, and then give you a summary of different positions available.

You don't want just any job, you want the one matches your career goals and personal situation.

OTOH, 2 weeks isn't that long. If they only offer crappy jobs he can just use them for interview practice and decline any offers.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I don't think you should move more than a couple hours drive from where you are. Half your posts are things like "I've got an old friend's wedding coming up" or "I went for drinks with my brother-in-law." Your whole life revolves around family and friends. If you move far away you will be lonely and miserable and you will quit. Take it slow. Don't waste time interviewing for far-off jobs.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

OTOH, 2 weeks isn't that long. If they only offer crappy jobs he can just use them for interview practice and decline any offers.

Just don't let them pressure you or talk you into a job you're not really sure of.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Regarding your 5k request for moving expenses: Did you take into account the cost of breaking another lease???

Just make sure you are thinking about these things.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

RheaConfused posted:

Regarding your 5k request for moving expenses: Did you take into account the cost of breaking another lease???

Just make sure you are thinking about these things.

I did but there's no set amount on that. I mentioned to everyone talking about relocation assistance that I'm now interested in $10,000 after some thought. I'm still only 2-3 years into my career I think that's a fair price.

But actually that doesn't matter too much. Here's my plan after some thought: I'm going to interview with the companies I have interviews setup with. 1 in Virginia about 120 miles from DC, 1 in Dallas I've been talking about (turns out they are interested), and the companies that I said I'm interested in (if they show mutual interest). That's two more at this point.

Anyway so I'm going to interview with 2-4 companies since they're already working on scheduling, and then I'm going to tell them that's enough for now. I'll see how those play out, which Virginia I think there's a good chance at an offer since it's in bumfuck nowhere basically, but regardless of how they play out I'm going to go work for the company in Texas as my boss did. It is potentially the best of both worlds in that I will have a new job that I will be requesting a new income with. I don't know if I can get them to give me a $30,000 a year raise like these other companies, but I'm pretty confident they'll go higher. It also means my daily routine stays exactly the same since I'm comfortable with it right now, and we don't have to move. Woohoo.

If they won't go higher then I'll continue the hunt.

edit plus they're rolling out a new version of the Dynamics AX software in the next year or two so I'll get experience with the newest version of software. I'm not like 100% on this plan, but probably like 90%. If a high paying job really pans out I will still consider it.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 21, 2015

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

but regardless of how they play out I'm going to go work for the company in Texas as my boss did.

What does this mean? You've already gotten an offer? Jesus christ dude, slow down. This is your biggest problem with literally everything. It's like literally 3 days ago you didn't want to change jobs and now you've already decided you're quitting jobs and moving to Texas? Or is this a work from home type deal?

Do you even have an offer from this company yet?

I'm so confused.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

What does this mean? You've already gotten an offer? Jesus christ dude, slow down. This is your biggest problem with literally everything. It's like literally 3 days ago you didn't want to change jobs and now you've already decided you're quitting jobs and moving to Texas? Or is this a work from home type deal?

I'm so confused.

OK explanation coming before everyone jumps on board. I'm trying to slow down that's why I'm making this choice.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

I'm so confused.

Alright so here's how my company works, and how it worked in the past.

I got hired on at X company (Foo here on) my current place of employment. My boss is the owner of Foo. Foo was pretty much a startup when I got there. We were developing a new website product, and that's what I got hired on for. To pay the bills my boss consulted for a few companies, and I consulted for a few companies. doing what I'm currently interviewing for.

One of those companies my boss had a longstanding relationship. We'll call this company Bar. After about a year of not going anywhere (remember my late paychecks?), Bar basically took over Foo. I started billing Bar full time which I'm still doing, my boss is now a vice president of Bar, and Bar said that they would hire me on if I so chose. Bar already pays for my entire salary + benefits, much of our office space including mine, and some of the expenses. My boss and I both operate remotely, but he goes does to corporate about once a month for a week.

So basically I think I'm going to take the withstanding offer from Bar. I'll still need to negotiate I assume. I may even do that mostly with my current boss I don't know. My boss prefers me to work for him since I can work on Foo's work every now and then, but he also said I should do what's best for my family. I think at this point Bar might be my absolute best chance of getting a pay raise without disrupting everything.

I'd be moving companies in pretty much just name, so I think it may be the smoothest path to making more money. It'll mean my boss doesn't get to use me for Foo work for free anymore, but I can't worry about that. I may even be able to swing Foo work into contract work.

This was the conclusion my wife and I kind of came to after discussing for a couple of hours. What do you guys think?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

Alright so here's how my company works, and how it worked in the past.

I got hired on at X company (Foo here on) my current place of employment. My boss is the owner of Foo. Foo was pretty much a startup when I got there. We were developing a new website product, and that's what I got hired on for. To pay the bills my boss consulted for a few companies, and I consulted for a few companies. doing what I'm currently interviewing for.

One of those companies my boss had a longstanding relationship. We'll call this company Bar. After about a year of not going anywhere (remember my late paychecks?), Bar basically took over Foo. I started billing Bar full time which I'm still doing, my boss is now a vice president of Bar, and Bar said that they would hire me on if I so chose. Bar already pays for my entire salary + benefits, much of our office space including mine, and some of the expenses. My boss and I both operate remotely, but he goes does to corporate about once a month for a week.

So basically I think I'm going to take the withstanding offer from Bar. I'll still need to negotiate I assume. I may even do that mostly with my current boss I don't know. My boss prefers me to work for him since I can work on Foo's work every now and then, but he also said I should do what's best for my family. I think at this point Bar might be my absolute best chance of getting a pay raise without disrupting everything.

I'd be moving companies in pretty much just name, so I think it may be the smoothest path to making more money. It'll mean my boss doesn't get to use me for Foo work for free anymore, but I can't worry about that. I may even be able to swing Foo work into contract work.

This was the conclusion my wife and I kind of came to after discussing for a couple of hours. What do you guys think?

If Bar is already paying your salary and offering to make you a permanent employee, where does this really leave you any leverage to negotiate in this scenario? They already have decided what you're worth because they're currently the ones paying you as I understand it, correct?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

There are a lot of things wrong with what you just wrote, and you are going to have a lot of people yelling at your for your terrible decision making process so I guess I'll try and post first with specific examples.

1. You have literally not even had a real interview yet and you are already "deciding" on a course of action without any relevant information whatsoever. You could get 3 offers, you could get zero offers. You don't even know for sure that the offer of a job from Bar still exists, how much it would pay, or what it would entail and yet you say that "regardless of how they play out I'm going to go work for the company in Texas". This makes no sense at all to anyone but you.

2. Assuming you can just waltz in to work one day and get a big raise for doing the same exact job, what have you been waiting for this whole time? Why are you only doing it now?

3. How can you POSSIBLY not be willing to wait a few more weeks and see how the job search goes? You have literally been waiting for years with no potential at all.. seriously why on earth would you not give it a few more weeks at least before you disrupt your current job?

4. It probably wouldn't hurt to explore the potential job offer from Bar, but I would think there is at least a possibility that your current boss could get pissed off about it and sabotage you in some way. It's obviously hard to quantify, but it's something you should consider that you don't seem to have thought about.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

I started billing Bar full time which I'm still doing

Are you billing them direct, or does your boss bill you to them? He might be billing you out at one rate and paying you another. Usually situations like this are because there aren't a set amount of hours of work, and some you might have a lot and some you may have none. You boss pays you regardless.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Why would you call that anything close to a final decision? What is the hurry? If it changes nothing but gives you more money, I guess go ahead and do it, but definitely don't stop interviewing elsewhere - there's no reason to have loyalty to this company, they certainly aren't loyal to you no matter what they say. I doubt you'll have much leverage though - that's going to come from someone not already paying your salary.

Keep looking for places nearby - I think you should stay near your family. Silicon valley isn't so far away though, so that's something to consider, you will almost certainly be better paid there than anywhere else.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Knyteguy posted:

I did but there's no set amount on that.

Knyte this is one of those things that makes people want to murder you.

What do you mean there is no set amount on that? Have you not read your lease?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

RheaConfused posted:

Knyte this is one of those things that makes people want to murder you.

What do you mean there is no set amount on that? Have you not read your lease?

Of course. I read the entire lease line-by-line (I'll never make that mistake again). The lease break fee is contractually "until we rent it out again" which was what I meant by no set amount. I think she said 3 months is what they generally charge, but that's verbal only. So $5,000 isn't enough, but I clarified. I wasn't exactly prepared to answer questions like the firm was asking, as it was different than my previous experience with recruiters.

I've got to mull over everything else for the moment.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I think you need to slow the gently caress down.

Timeline:

April 13th - "How can we make more money?"
April 15th - "Job hunt becomes huge priority!"
April 20th - "Interview with recruiter and agree to 2 week exclusivity deal"
April 21st - "None of it matters I'm going to work for the company in Dallas NO MATTER WHAT"

Like literally 8 days from inception to "I KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOING".

Slow
Down
Think
Things
Through
Stop
Making
Rash
Emotional
Decisions

EDIT: Like you literally went from "I'm going to just stick it out and wait for my next review and bring it up then" to "I HAVE TO CHANGE JOBS TOMORROW ALL OUR PROBLEMS WILL BE SOLVED" in like 2 weeks. You posted your resume for like 3 days and then HAD TO APPLY FOR JOBS RIGHT AWAY.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 21, 2015

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Are you sure your boss is going to be okay with your new plan? It sounds like he probably has the ability to block you from moving to the company he's a VP at now. You should consider that you might have to choose between relocating for one of the other offers or continuing to get paid below market in your current position. You should make sure you have a solid offer before you bring any of this up with him.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Of course. I read the entire lease line-by-line (I'll never make that mistake again). The lease break fee is contractually "until we rent it out again" which was what I meant by no set amount.

Hahaha how is that even legal? What incentive would they have to quickly get the house rented out again if you're obligated to pay for as long as its vacant?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Inept posted:

Hahaha how is that even legal? What incentive would they have to quickly get the house rented out again if you're obligated to pay for as long as its vacant?

:doh: Why in the world would you sign a lease like this?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Inept posted:

The law requires the landlord to make reasonable efforts to mitigate damages. The landlord can't just sit back and let the place sit empty, and then sue you for the remaining term of the lease.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The law requires the landlord to make reasonable efforts to mitigate damages. The landlord can't just sit back and let the place sit empty, and then sue you for the remaining term of the lease.

I'm certainly not versed in this area, but that sounds so ambiguous as to be pretty unenforceable.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

IllegallySober posted:

:doh: Why in the world would you sign a lease like this?

Because he made up his mind he wanted to move and then he focused on nothing but moving.

Sound familiar?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
Guys, he read it line by line. A mistake he'll never make again!

:getin:

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

IllegallySober posted:

I'm certainly not versed in this area, but that sounds so ambiguous as to be pretty unenforceable.

No, it's actually pretty enforceable in court. The landlord would have to show proof of reasonable efforts, like placing an ad at the very least. However, it would only come up of KG contested the charges and took his landlord to court and well, :effort:.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Lease: "duty to mitigate damages" I just fought with the apartment on this (and won in that they didn't take me to court). They have to make a reasonable effort to re-lease the property. If they can't show they made a reasonable effort then the debt by all rights is gone because they are unable to report to credit bureaus.

Yes I agree this whole job thing needs to slow down it's got me spinning in circles. I didn't realize how fast the flood gates would open by applying for a single job on a single recruiter website. Two interviews tomorrow. Thursday is the Dallas interview which is the most enticing. $100,000 base salary, 100% paid benefits, etc. But I'm interviewing as a backup candidate contingent on their already offered guy declining the offer. But because it's the most enticing it'll be one of the harder interviews. It should be great practice.

Still mulling the rest.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Grouco posted:

Guys, he read it line by line. A mistake he'll never make again!

:getin:

:effort:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
(Triple Post)

lovely recruiter story: A recruiter asked me what my salary needs are, what my current salary is. I said $60,000 is my current salary, $90,000+ is what I'm shooting for. He said "we really need to temper your expectations you need to be flexible here." I said well I have an interview in two days for another company at $100,000 per year, so why should I be flexible right now. He said "But we really need to get you this job we need to temper your expectations here." He then said "It's not like I'm try to get you to take a pay cut." smdh I'm willing to be flexible but gently caress off if you think I'm going to take a $5,000 pay raise and move across the country. I don't even need to be flexible because if this doesn't pan out then who cares? There's a million other career steps I can take. Very pushy annoying guy, where everyone else has been pleasant.

Alright so I'll go through these two weeks of interviews and see where it goes. Bugamol I got some good career advice from some of you here that's why the decision changed so abruptly from "be patient" to "want to make more $$$". Plus I had no idea just how underpaid I was.

To minimize poor decision making periods I'll just say this: I'm going to explore options, see what happens (I could very well get 0 offers and need to bust my rear end on interviews some more), and then just take a minute and analyze the pros and cons of them. No commitments. I like the idea of working for Bar company, but yes the offer could be off the table. That would be my number 1 choice though.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Why on earth would you volunteer your salary? The only thing you needed to say was the second half of that sentence: "$90,000+ is what I'm shooting for."

That's the real smdh.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

(Triple Post)

I said $60,000 is my current salary

Don't ever say what your salary is. Your pay should be based on the new role's responsibilities and the value you bring, not what you have been paid in the past. Practice saying that to recruiters and HR people.

Not giving a gently caress if you get the job or not will make you irresistible at job interviews (a la Silicon Valley negging)

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Pfox posted:

Why on earth would you volunteer your salary? The only thing you needed to say was the second half of that sentence: "$90,000+ is what I'm shooting for."

That's the real smdh.

If I was negotiating my own salary with an employer then I wouldn't. I don't care if they know my salary because I'm not going to take less money than I know I can get.

The whole salary game I find really loving stupid. Why the hell does it matter what I'm getting paid now I'm leaving the job probably to get more money, and there's average and percentile salary information everywhere. If the recruiters lowball me I'll just say no I want this or I'm out. What about college students who are waiting tables are you going to pay a new chemical engineer $15/hr since that's more than they're making now? No. The market sets the price.

^ e that's awesome because I kind of feel that way really. I'm in no hurry to take a job I don't want.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

The market sets the price.

The market is what people will take. If people are dumb and tell you they make $60k, they could be ecstatic when you offer $80k (not knowing that you could have gone to $95k)

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed
Well, my take away from the last two pages is that KG works for "Foo" and "Bar", which together make "Foobar", which is how one pronounces the acronym "FUBAR", which is an adequate summary of the current job/lease situation.

On the bandwagon with "slow down and think things through." Don't lose sight of the here and now (your budget) with all of this future possibility.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

ufsteph posted:

The market is what people will take. If people are dumb and tell you they make $60k, they could be ecstatic when you offer $80k (not knowing that you could have gone to $95k)

I feel like I have a big advantage due to the Cavern of Cobol newbie get a job thread which goes into negotiating, and all of you guys. Plus I have a job I'm happy with that is truthfully 'enough' when it comes down to it as n8r said. I want to get a better job, but I don't need to get a better job. I already told the recruiting firm that I'm willing to be patient for a job and salary that I want. They didn't like that all that much but who cares.

Thanks for the help guys. I feel much more comfortable talking with the recruiters today than I did yesterday after all the input in here.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Good point, Spay Stray May is right around the corner

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Aagar posted:

Well, my take away from the last two pages is that KG works for "Foo" and "Bar", which together make "Foobar", which is how one pronounces the acronym "FUBAR", which is an adequate summary of the current job/lease situation.

On the bandwagon with "slow down and think things through." Don't lose sight of the here and now (your budget) with all of this future possibility.

Foo bar are common metasyntactic variables in programming (basically how X and Y in algebra without any of the graphical connotations; placeholders). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metasyntactic_variable#Words_commonly_used_as_metasyntactic_variables for a bunch

I won't lose sight on the budget. I'm still 100% serious and onboard for the charity stuff. April too. We're spending to the budget very well.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

ufsteph posted:

Good point, Spay Stray May is right around the corner

On the topic of pets. We got an offer for $200 for our Australian Shepherd. A ranch owner wants her as a work dog. I think this may be better for all parties, since her need for exercise is insatiable. She would have a job and I think she would love it. Our current dog would be able to stay in the house all day which would make her happier as well. We'd save probably 1/3 on food costs plus potential vet costs.

My wife says yes, but I'm still debating. Lots of big decisions going on at once here.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

On the topic of pets. We got an offer for $200 for our Australian Shepherd. A ranch owner wants her as a work dog.

Do you know this guy? Maybe you can still spend some time with the dog on the ranch?

With a newborn it has got to be really hard to give an energetic dog enough attention, sounds like your wife is sick of it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If anyone wonders how KG could just run out of food prior to the end of the month and waste a bunch on restaurants now sees why...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Selling the dog seems like a great idea. You guys probably have your hands full with an infant as it is, one less mouth to feed, easier to move, and it sounds like the dog may even be happier in the new situation.

• Locked thread