Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

How much does the magnet clasp own. It owns so hard. All helmets should have it. My rs-1 is the favorite helmet for that alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Also shave your neckbeard goonlord.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

SaNChEzZ posted:

How much does the magnet clasp own. It owns so hard. All helmets should have it. My rs-1 is the favorite helmet for that alone.

I love the magnet clasp. I wasn't a huge fan at first after coming from a Laser to a Bell Vortex. I have learned to love the magnet clasp, and enjoy my Bell a ton. I think they're some of the best bang for your buck helmets out there.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Slavvy posted:

Is your name Mike though?

It's not. Do you think that's a safety concern? Should I return it for a Dainese Steve?

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Question/observation for the gearheads. I have a Shoei full-face with a clear faceshield. I wear prescription polarized sunglasses under that. Due to some crazy interaction between the shield and my glasses, certain colors take on this weird holographic sheen, especially blacks. Tar snakes really pop out, for instance. It was neat for a while but sort of distracting and I think it's tiring. I don't know if I want to go to a tinted shield, but maybe there's another clear variant that plays well with polarized lenses. Any ideas?

I'd probably not get polarized lenses again. I have to tilt my head to read a phone, and the LCD at the gas pump is a special PITA because the polarizers don't quite line up.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I get the same thing and I've long become accustomed to it. The weird color rainbow behavior, in my mind, is way better than all the glare I get off cars without polarized lenses.

I don't think there's a solution to that besides losing the polarized.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Would someone kindly regurgitate the whole snell 2010 vs ece 22.05/snell 2015 thing at me, tia.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Snell 2010 has a double impact test that is v hard to pass without using very stiff EPS. 2015 relaxed that requirement significantly, although also increased impact force without changing the force allowed through to the head form, meaning the foam is still on the stiffer side to compensate. ECE/BSI focused on reducing the allowable force through to the head form instead of increasing the impact force, which IMO is better for the majority of impacts, as oftentimes the EPS doesn't crush under your typical street crash, meaning the primary protection is against broken skull/abrasion as opposed to preventing concussions/brain damage.

Where that line between "preventing concussions" and "helmet over crushes and isn't as effective in higher speed impacts" is anyone's guess, but I prefer the helmet that's more likely to protect in the majority of crashes, which for me is lower speed street crashes because that's where I put on the most miles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NippleFloss posted:

It's not. Do you think that's a safety concern? Should I return it for a Dainese Steve?

You should check if the jacket is compatible with your name. You might get excessive chafing or stress-related failure but ask the manufacturer for specifics.

Z3n posted:

Where that line between "preventing concussions" and "helmet over crushes and isn't as effective in higher speed impacts" is anyone's guess, but I prefer the helmet that's more likely to protect in the majority of crashes, which for me is lower speed street crashes because that's where I put on the most miles.

Also your chance of having a collision with another vehicle/random objects is much higher than on a race track, where you normally just get to slide to a stop and maybe bump your head a couple of times when you fall off.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Z3n posted:

2015 relaxed that requirement significantly, although also increased impact force without changing the force allowed through to the head form, meaning the foam is still on the stiffer side to compensate.

Do you know of any helmets that are snell 2015? I would assume the rf-1200 is, but I haven't seen anything yet.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Dielectric posted:

Question/observation for the gearheads. I have a Shoei full-face with a clear faceshield. I wear prescription polarized sunglasses under that. Due to some crazy interaction between the shield and my glasses, certain colors take on this weird holographic sheen, especially blacks. Tar snakes really pop out, for instance. It was neat for a while but sort of distracting and I think it's tiring. I don't know if I want to go to a tinted shield, but maybe there's another clear variant that plays well with polarized lenses. Any ideas?

I'd probably not get polarized lenses again. I have to tilt my head to read a phone, and the LCD at the gas pump is a special PITA because the polarizers don't quite line up.

It could be a coating on the face shield or the angle of the shield is changing the polarization from your sunglasses. I get the same weird rainbow effect looking at some people's rear windows when I'm driving in my car if I have my polarized sunglasses on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

velocross posted:

Do you know of any helmets that are snell 2015? I would assume the rf-1200 is, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Yeah the RF1200 is, not that I'd know how to tell the difference. Does any other brand do the quick-remove padding things to let someone take the padding out without taking the helmet off your head? I'm afraid to try it in case it's a breakable one-time clip or something :ohdear:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

Yeah the RF1200 is, not that I'd know how to tell the difference. Does any other brand do the quick-remove padding things to let someone take the padding out without taking the helmet off your head? I'm afraid to try it in case it's a breakable one-time clip or something :ohdear:

The shoei x12 has that feature.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The year of qualification that it meets is typically printed on the SNELL sticker.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

I was gonna say that my Shoei GT Air also has that feature, but we're not really helping him find brands that aren't Shoei. It's a pretty neat idea I assumed more high end manufacturers were doing it.

Also for visor chat, the GT Air has an internal visor and it has no distortion issues as far as I can tell and I love it. I don't have to swap visors when I ride at night or if it's cloudy/raining, it's the reason I got this particular helmet and I don't regret it at all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Skreemer posted:

I have an RF1200 :ssh:

I was just wondering if any other brands do it and if I can test the feature without breaking something.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Scorpions have the removable cheek pads, at least on my Exo-500. Even has a special warning tag silkscreened on the chin curtain for EMTs warning them to deflate the air pump bladders and remove the cheek pads before attempting to remove the helmet.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Yeah the RF1200 is

For real? Every website I see has all shoeis down as snell 2010, which sucks because they fit my head perfectly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

Thanks to time well spent in the tunnel from its very beginning stages of development, the RF-1200 boasts a more compact and aerodynamic shell than its predecessor, earning praise and appeal as SHOEI’s lightest 2015 SNELL-Certified full-face model to date.

From here. Mine is badged as an NXR with australian standards on the tag but it's the same thing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

-edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 21, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

It could be a coating on the face shield or the angle of the shield is changing the polarization from your sunglasses. I get the same weird rainbow effect looking at some people's rear windows when I'm driving in my car if I have my polarized sunglasses on.

That's caused by stresses in the glass introduced by the tempering process changing the polarisation of the light. Most sunglasses should be circular-polarised, which tends to amplify that effect. straight-polarised glasses (normally vertical) are sold for skiers, where the glare is all likely to be from one direction, which minimises the rainbow effect but is useless if the glare is from a vertical surface like a building (and will probably make your LCD instruments unreadable).

Some people use passive 3D glasses which have one eye horizontal-polarised and one vertical-polarised and literally just close one eye if needed but this is sub-optimal for fairly obvious reasons.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
As Summer approaches I'm doing final preps for a series of trips camping and rayelin all along the Georgia-Tennessee-North Carolina regions.

It has occurred to me that I do not have a flat repair kit. Would this one suffice or can the components be had cheaper? Or is there a better ready kit?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/37843/i/bikemaster-tire-and-tube-flat-repair-kit

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm looking for some textile over-trousers that zip all or most of the way up. I know a lot of aerostich pants do this, but are there any makes/models at a lower price point people can recommend?

I'm having trouble even searching for this tbh, as I can't imagine what the marketing lingo for this feature might be.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Tourmaster Overpant does zip almost entirely up/down the leg. It's basically to the hip, so as close to "all the way" as it gets, I think. Extra bonus - they're cheap.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm looking for some textile over-trousers that zip all or most of the way up. I know a lot of aerostich pants do this, but are there any makes/models at a lower price point people can recommend?

I'm having trouble even searching for this tbh, as I can't imagine what the marketing lingo for this feature might be.

By overtrousers to you mean with armour or just waterproofs/extra insulation to go over existing armoured trews?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Waterproofs would be good too as I will need some eventually, but right now it's armour I'm looking for.

e/ right now I'm running some regular £50 armoured overs, and while they're perfectly adequate for riding they're a massive pain for commuting as I can't get them off/on without removing my boots first, and there's nowhere at work I can really spread out to get changed quickly.

Basically anything that lets me shuck the trousers at the bike so I can just swap boots for shoes at my desk, is what I'm after. It's annoying that I can't find any pictures of them open, but those tourmasters sound good, thanks for the tip.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 20, 2015

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

Waterproofs would be good too as I will need some eventually, but right now it's armour I'm looking for.

Seconding the Tourmasters - they'll get hot due to minimal venting, but they're supposed to be waterproof. I haven't tested that, but for the price I don't think you can beat them.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I've had the Tourmaster overpants for about a year now and they're great. The long zip makes them very easy to commute with, and they've never let water through on my (admittedly pretty short at 5mi) Seattle commute.

They do get warm, mostly because they don't really breathe. The vents on the thighs help with temperature but not sweat.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
I rode through a lot of rain in, and crashed in, a set of firstgear HT overpants and they were OK. Zipper would sometimes leak at the crotch in heavy rain. They mostly worked great, and i just kept a spare change of clothes at work for the odd downpour where i'd be stuck in traffic or something and end up wet. Did great in the crash though, although it was pouring, so a lot less wear and tear from the road just due to that.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Seconding FirstGear overpants - I don't usually ride in the rain with them, but when I do, they keep me dry. One of their mesh jackets also held up very well after grinding against concrete at freeway speed.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Do you guys do anything to treat your leather jackets, like using leather conditioner or any of that poo poo like you would on a normal, fashionable leather jacket?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

VERTiG0 posted:

Do you guys do anything to treat your leather jackets, like using leather conditioner or any of that poo poo like you would on a normal, fashionable leather jacket?

lexol, same for gloves.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Lexol is good poo poo. cheap too I hit them with some Lysol wipes (a bit abrasive and has alcohol) but then immediately use lexol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

VERTiG0 posted:

Renapur.

Thank me later.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Pure whale blubber.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Renapur.

Thank me later.

Renapur is nice too. I also use pecard's on anything that needs to be waterproof.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I have some good leather gloves, and they're still a bit tight (which is how they should be, they're not really broken in yet). What would you guys recommend to use to loosen them up a bit? I was thinking something like mink oil or leather conditioner of some sort, but if anyone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

would soaking them in water then wearing them for a bit work?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
It might do, although I have heard stories where untreated wet leather dried tighter, so I'm a little nervous about it. It may be a moot point for a bit though, as our awesome weather has unsurprisingly turned back to poop weather again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
what about breaking them in by wearing them while riding