Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I didn't play 6 but Resident Evil 5 was totally okay and I think it's weird that somebody could love 4 and despise 5

I'm that guy that loves RE4 and hates 5. 5 lacked all the bit that 4 had and was a bore to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

DoubleCakes posted:

I'm that guy that loves RE4 and hates 5. 5 lacked all the bit that 4 had and was a bore to play.

I think the things it lacked it made up for in co-op. I played both 5 and 6 co-op and can't speak to their 1 player experiences.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary, if you want to know more about your son Pork the Zork-like, it's called "Pork 1: The Great Underground Sewer System". It's... not very good.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
If anyone here likes The Level, I just posted Episode 100. http://duckfeed.tv/lvl/100

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Song For The Deaf posted:

If anyone here likes The Level, I just posted Episode 100. http://duckfeed.tv/lvl/100

Yay. I'm doing a long run tonight and wasn't sure what I'd listen to.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Don't know if it's been brought up before (or if I posted about it even) but I really like Justice Points as a gaming podcast with a sharp feminist bent. They have been pretty consistently snagging some solid guests lately as well, including Thumbs' own Danielle. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I greatly prefer them over Isometric which was touted as THE feminist gamescast but I sort of really hate. Check 'em out.

Stan Taylor fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 12, 2015

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I will have to go grab that, because I've tried Isometric a few times and not really dug it.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

That is a very unfortunate podcast name for visibility but I investigated further and it does have its roots as a WoW based podcast so it makes sense.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The first episode of the Bloodborne season of Bonfireside Chat just dropped. We cover the Intro and the Hunter's Dream, along with a long list of the things that make Bloodborne different than its predecessors.

http://duckfeed.tv/bonfiresidechat/63

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

The first episode of the Bloodborne season of Bonfireside Chat just dropped. We cover the Intro and the Hunter's Dream, along with a long list of the things that make Bloodborne different than its predecessors.

That cover art is ballin out control. Listening now, been looking forward to this.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

When you talked about how the Saw Cleaver's description talks about how it only grows in effectiveness the more monstrous the beast, I was wondering if it was just an in-game explanation for why your relatively puny weapon can take down a big nasty monster so well.

It might be a gameplay thing, though.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DoubleCakes posted:

4 had inventory tetris. 5 didn't. 4 wins.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I've been secretly hoping this entire time that this was actually a successor to Nightmare Creatures and you have failed to to dissuade me.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

When you talked about how the Saw Cleaver's description talks about how it only grows in effectiveness the more monstrous the beast, I was wondering if it was just an in-game explanation for why your relatively puny weapon can take down a big nasty monster so well.

I'm pretty sure, after using it a bit, that it actually does build my beast meter. I had a lot of endurance and wailed on a werewolf and a menu started filling.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I went into the game trusting From wouldn't completely gently caress over arcane and bloodtinge builds, so I have been a mixed skill/arcane build from the start, mostly leveling up skill until I got it to 24 or so. Now, at level 63, I run around with a Reiterpallasch in one hand and a Flamesprayer in the other, with Beast Roar, Empty Phantasm Shell and Tiny Tonitrus backing me up. While I'd agree that build variety has lessened and that the build I just outlined may not be minmaxiest, I am having a lot of fun burning beasts alive and enchanting my weapon whilst throwing lightning at things.

Really happy that the Bloodborne season has started, and hoping I can get to NG+ to play along with each area as they come out.

Ever Disappointing fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 13, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

When Gehrman says you can "use the doll", surely he is referring to using it channel blood to level up and not for sex right? He just says it a weird way.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

When Gehrman says you can "use the doll", surely he is referring to using it channel blood to level up and not for sex right? He just says it a weird way.
Sure but the double meaning has to be implied. It can be both.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Without getting two spoilery, there's actually a third thing he could be referring to but that doesn't erase the creep factor. It just turns it into a triple meaning.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I love how dumb video games are. Adding a nose to VR cures motion sickness?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

What?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It was on idle thumbs this week.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/25/virtual-nose-purdue-university/

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

So this WOFF Soundtrack Showdown idea is pretty neat.

Though some of the 'seeding' is pretty questionable, JSR should totally have gotten a bye into the next round!

Pasco fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 16, 2015

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I was just about to post about that. The tournament is running up until we release episode 100. To give details about the seeding, I took every game we've covered and ordered them by release date. I figured that was more fair than either hand designing something (and thus introducing bias) or going completely random (and possibly having matchups that make even less sense than the ones we have now). Just have faith that the best tunes will win.

(Interesting fact-bit: Taking all of the release dates of games we've covered for the show, I've determined that the mean, median, and mode are all 1998. That's the WOFF! power year.)

In addition to that, Episode 98 just game out today. It's about Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon. Listen to us talk about how amazing the game is, and slam on Rafaello.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/98

Up next is Amnesia: The Dark Descent. We're still working on the announcement for Episode 100, but we're ready to announce the game that comes after it: Katamari Damacy.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
When did you guys do Zombies Ate my Neighbors? I don't think I listened to that episode and love that game. soundtrack is pretty good too.

I'll have to go dig through the archives.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Timett posted:

When did you guys do Zombies Ate my Neighbors?

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/6

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The first new episode that came out after I started listening was the macventure games episode (more good music) and I went back and listened to most of the older shows. ZAMN must have slipped through the cracks for me.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Timett posted:

The first new episode that came out after I started listening was the macventure games episode (more good music) and I went back and listened to most of the older shows. ZAMN must have slipped through the cracks for me.

ZAMN and the other super early ones were (at least when I listened) only showing up on a secondary page, and not available for viewing/download at all on the main WOFF page. That’s probably why.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Pasco posted:

So this WOFF Soundtrack Showdown idea is pretty neat.

Though some of the 'seeding' is pretty questionable, JSR should totally have gotten a bye into the next round!

Speaking of JSR and WOFF, I recently listened to the JSR episode of WOFF.

I think Gary and Kole would like Jet Set Radio Future, and one of the reasons is the trick system. Not because the tricks are interesting or fun (they're neither), but if you do rail tricks, it magically builds and maintains speed, so you don't have that frustrating loss of momentum. Sure, that was part of the challenge, but I enjoy the feeling of keeping the flow going.

Also the GBA game is insane.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

but we're ready to announce the game that comes after it: Katamari Damacy.

This makes a lot if sense wrt the good soundtrack conversation in the latest ep. Just seeing the words Katamari Damacy immediately puts that song in my head, and it's great.

That game came out when I was in college, and everyone that ever saw it had the exact same set of reactions:
"what the gently caress is this game?"
"ok, I guess I'll try it"
and eventually, "Jesus Christ, it's after midnight? Let me play one more time, but I really have to get going".

Nobody could ever remember the name, but there were frequently requests to play "that game where you roll poo poo up". Good times.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

This makes a lot if sense wrt the good soundtrack conversation in the latest ep. Just seeing the words Katamari Damacy immediately puts that song in my head, and it's great.

That game came out when I was in college, and everyone that ever saw it had the exact same set of reactions:
"what the gently caress is this game?"
"ok, I guess I'll try it"
and eventually, "Jesus Christ, it's after midnight? Let me play one more time, but I really have to get going".

Nobody could ever remember the name, but there were frequently requests to play "that game where you roll poo poo up". Good times.

I beat it in one sitting with my ex wife, start to finish.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
(For the record I'm english and have only been to the US once).

I remember a while back on the crate and crowbar they were talking about having this weird deja vu moment from playing gta 4 and recognising some area of new york.

I just had exactly the same thing it was so odd. I was on a dirtbike escaping from the police trying to lose them over the hills using the off road etc. I had just lost them after a massive chase and came too rest at what I just googled and realised was the Griffith Observatory.

Such an odd feeling of deja vu that I had completely forgotten. It had been almost a decade since I was there. Video games are so weird.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I can't remember if Gary and Kole mention this in the episode but it definitely alludes to at least one gameplay element: the two saw-type trick weapons have a hidden damage modifier against enemies classified as beasts by the game (there are at least two enemy "type" flags, beast and kin, and then some that don't have either)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Gary's catte was so loud this week, I thought it was my roommate's cat singing last night, haha.

Also I'm gonna make "anime pluperfect" a part of my vernacular.

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 19, 2015

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

We're ready to announce the game we're covering on episode 100 of Watch Out for Fireballs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGM20MejGGg

Special thanks to forums user AllisonByProxy for creating this awesome trailer.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
That trailer got me pretty hyped.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Timett posted:

That trailer got me pretty hyped.

I just bought the game on the Wiiu. Jfc

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

We're ready to announce the game we're covering on episode 100 of Watch Out for Fireballs!

I was worried that you had a chosen a game that wouldn't be worthy of the 100th episode.

How wrong was I!

Two questions though:
How long do I have to send in a reply to get it on air?
Can I send in my thoughts on Planescape: Torment?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
^^^Ditto. For both the reaction and how long for responses.

Also when do you record BFSCs?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

umalt posted:

^^^Ditto. For both the reaction and how long for responses.

Also when do you record BFSCs?

We'll likely record the Super Metroid episode 2 weeks from this upcoming saturday and like responses the friday before. We record BSC MOSTLY on Thursdays.

If you are of the FB persuasion, that's the best way to keep up with our calls for responses.

As far as a Torment response, we'll read whatever you send in but possibly not on the air. We do keep track of everything in case an extrasode episode runs a little short so if the comment is relevant to the game at hand or we've got some extra time, we're more likely to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I'm not going to lie, I thought that you had done Super Metroid already when you were talking about the music ranking thing. I'm not going to claim to be clairvoyant, but I've had WOFF + Super Metroid in my head for the past week now.

• Locked thread