Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Sunn's motto is Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results, tunes a portion of their subs to sub-audible frequencies just to push air and shake your bones, and tries to exceed 150+dB at their shows so its either Noise Marines or the closest thing to Disaster Zone we are humanly able to achieve.

Sunn live is a religious experience.

Wonder if they're doing socal...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sunn's motto is Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results, tunes a portion of their subs to sub-audible frequencies just to push air and shake your bones, and tries to exceed 150+dB at their shows so its either Noise Marines or the closest thing to Disaster Zone we are humanly able to achieve.

Hahaha that is awesome.

I used to work on the Dawn of War series and when we included Noise Marines (in Retribution I think?) there was a large contingent of the studio fighting for making all of the gun SFX the loudest, dirtiest, blackest guitar and bass solos we could create. I think one of the producers stepped in after a couple of months of arguing and made it the warbly bullshit it is.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

iwentdoodie posted:

Sunn live is a religious experience.

Wonder if they're doing socal...

They're playing in Copenhagen on August 15th. It's going to be loving awesome.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Cool old(er he is like 48) dude I know had a Cayenne Turbo. He is extremely affluent but even he balked at the 6 grand dealer ceramic brake job. So he sold it on C/L and bought a CPO M6. :hehe:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Age of Ultron tonight.

Not even the current East Coast Low bombing Sydney is gonna stop me. 300mm+ of rain in two days and more incoming this morning, 135kph winds etc, floods up to 16 moeters deep up northwards...... been a while since I've seen rain like this.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cat Terrist posted:

Age of Ultron tonight.

Not even the current East Coast Low bombing Sydney is gonna stop me. 300mm+ of rain in two days and more incoming this morning, 135kph winds etc, floods up to 16 moeters deep up northwards...... been a while since I've seen rain like this.

It's a nice fine day down here in Melbourne :)

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I keep reading about engine swaps on old Datsun's.

Help me AI.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MustardFacial posted:

Help me AI.

......to decide exactly how many more cylinders than stock to go?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Yeah, really. LS is the obvious choice, but if you wanted to get fancy, maybe an M70?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

...Prevent a bad decision. I don't have the money, space, skill or tools to pull this off, but at the same time:

Fuuck
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
I know nothing about these things but fuuuuuuuuuuck that looks cool

I need to build a shop.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Personally, I'd want the first one, since it's rattier and you'd have to do some choppin' to make things fit. I'd feel bad about desecrating the second one; it's too nice. Also, what are emissions like in your area? Here in CA, both those Datsuns are too new to be smog exempt, so you'd have a lot more hassle with any engine swapping.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Raluek posted:

Personally, I'd want the first one, since it's rattier and you'd have to do some choppin' to make things fit. I'd feel bad about desecrating the second one; it's too nice. Also, what are emissions like in your area? Here in CA, both those Datsuns are too new to be smog exempt, so you'd have a lot more hassle with any engine swapping.

There is no smog system here.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MustardFacial posted:

poo poo I wonder if my old roommate ever finished her Datsun V8 swap. I think it was getting close before she moved back to California. She's DD'ing a 1960 AMC Rambler Super. drat she was an AI roommate.

Do a swap, destroy tires and your wallet.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

He'll be back.

But honestly, a Cayenne turbo is just about worth the pain and expense if you need that kind of space. They really are a hell of a lot of fun for something that size.

Are they really closely to the VW Touareg? The turbo V8 model looks like a shitload of fun.

Edit: I wish they stuffed the W12 with a turbo into the Cayenne. Balls to the wall stupid fun in a SUV that's pretty tidy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Comedy option SR20DET, more power and lighter than the stock lump. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

I have the same problem, hence the silly amount of money still owed for student loans to ATI. I'd love to learn more about the networking side (as opposed to the desktop support/computer janitoring I currently do), but I'd really need to hit up some junior college or continuing ed courses to make it happen.

Nice! I had to pay for A+ and Net+, so never took 'em.

Yeah, they're way to serious about a poo poo pizza job. Would this be the bitch manager influencing things, perhaps?

It looks like ATI and the place I'm at are roughly the same price (though does ATI even have a campus here anymore? I know they got into some deep poo poo awhile back), but thankfully Pell grants are covering a decent chunk, along with federal loans. Definitely going to have to consolidate my loans once I'm out though, since there's no interest cap (:ohdear:) on the private loan I have here.

I can't wait for Net+, like you said that's when things might start getting remotely interesting. I'm sitting in class now, 1 week ahead of my classwork/homework, and just had the instructor tell me "uh, yeah, you're not supposed to work ahead" when he saw me submit next week's work. :downs: I skipped a bunch of the video lessons online before the tests too, so I'm just letting them play on the 2nd monitor so that the time can get logged.

The bitch manager is gone. I contacted the GM about it, and he seems pretty pissed off about it and wants to know who it was. Unfortunately. it was all via texts from google voice numbers that go straight to voicemail, so no telling who it really was. I'm done with the place anyway, I'm just going to mail the uniforms back (GM did say he never asked for them back, but I have no use for them, and at the least I'm sure he can use the hats once I wash them).

CommieGIR posted:

Truth. The A+ is basically trash, I got it when I was 15. Thankfully, I found that out quickly and got m MCSE and CCNA

This much I know, but I don't qualify for career services until I have at least 2 certs under my belt - and they start off with A+, then Net+.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Is anyone playing The Long Dark at all? I just got loving screwed super early on after I had to start a new play-through <:mad:>

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
There are games outside of Kerbal Space program?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Is that some sort of Minecraft mod?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

Is that some sort of Minecraft mod?

Its a failure simulator.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh, so its a dwarf fortress mod!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

T-Square posted:

Is anyone playing The Long Dark at all? I just got loving screwed super early on after I had to start a new play-through <:mad:>

I've played it some. Don't stay in one spot too long unless you're somewhere central, as the resources aren't enough to keep you alive for long. The ranger hut in the first map is a pretty decent spot for a permanent base. Don't fight wolves unless you need to, and unless you have a rifle you probably shouldn't fight them at all. That said, hunting and trapping is pretty much the best way to get food in the game; I haven't messed around with fishing so I have no idea about that.

Oh yeah; don't get complacent, because that will kill you.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Scrambles posted:

it's never too late to stop loving your ears man :(. I'm seeing sleater-kinney tomorrow night and I'm excited but I'd abandon my wife and friends for either of those shows.

S-K was rad when I saw them a few months ago. I want go see them again when they come to SF, but I'm broke from working on my Outback.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Fucknag posted:

Comedy option SR20DET

any excuse to post this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47nouirt47U

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Three months before the new house is ready and the scale of our accumulated poo poo has finally registered with my wife. When she gets going she's a tidying demon, so I have been given an agenda for what we're sorting this weekend. Everything's finally starting to feel real and it's getting exciting!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Anyone on T-Mobile with an LG phone? If so, having issues sending texts?

Just got off the phone with T-Mo, they said there's a nationwide texting outage that only affects LG devices. :psyduck: I can receive them fine, just can't send them. It's happened in multiple cities today. I can't find anything about it anywhere.

e: think I got a lazy tech. Popped my SIM into stepdad's phone, couldn't send texts at all. As soon as I put his SIM back in, the texts went through.
e2: weird, GO SMS works fine, though I'm not a fan of it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 22, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm a member of a hackerspace. The board voted on, and passed, three policies today:

- No drinking between 2 AM and 9 AM (ostensibly due to laws or insurance)
- No animals that aren't service animals (ostensibly due to laws or insurance)
- No holding events that break laws, rules, invalidate our insurance, or hurt our potential 501(c)3 status.

Normal stuff, right? Nope. People are yelling about the board overstepping their bounds by creating invalid policies, etc. This is the kind of thing that will, doubtless, be dragged on for weeks. There will be bitter recriminations, people will get butthurt and leave, guaranteed. This is why we can't have nice things.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Safety Dance posted:

I'm a member of a hackerspace. The board voted on, and passed, three policies today:

- No animals that aren't service animals (ostensibly due to laws or insurance)
- No holding events that break laws, rules, invalidate our insurance, or hurt our potential 501(c)3 status.

Normal stuff, right? Nope. People are yelling about the board overstepping their bounds by creating invalid policies, etc. This is the kind of thing that will, doubtless, be dragged on for weeks. There will be bitter recriminations, people will get butthurt and leave, guaranteed. This is why we can't have nice things.

After reading the Noisebridge thread in YOSPOS, I'm pretty sure those are the people you want to leave anyway. gently caress 'em.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Raluek posted:

After reading the Noisebridge thread in YOSPOS, I'm pretty sure those are the people you want to leave anyway. gently caress 'em.

Yeah. The bitter recriminations are what get to me. They discourage the general public from actually getting involved and taking on any responsibility, so the only people who do are the ones likely to get angry about something like this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

That's undoubtedly due to blue laws. I know in TX, you can't drink in any place except your own home between 2am and 9am (and in many cities, you can't drink after midnight - glasses have to be off the tables 15 minutes after either midnight or 2am - you have to have a late night permit to allow drinking between 12-2, and many cities don't issue them). This includes "private clubs", for those parts of Texas where you have to join a "club" to even walk in the door (Texans will know these by the places that don't let anyone in without an ID, and run your ID through a credit card-looking terminal and sign a slip before you can walk in).

IIRC there's even laws on the books that require that you have to purchase a meal in order to be served alcohol before a certain hour, I want to say it only applies on Sunday mornings though (since you can't buy beer for off-premise consumption before noon here, and can't buy packaged liquor at all on Sundays).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 22, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I emailed my old boss about the poo poo I was getting over leaving. He wants to know who sent it, but it all came from random Google Voice numbers, and most of the texts arrived within a couple of hours of each other - so probably one person behind it. Pretty much impossible to trace without a warrant. It's been turned over to the local PD with screen shots, but I don't expect anything to happen. Boss also wants screen shots, but I think this is best left to the pros. I know the phone numbers of most of the people who work there, and these numbers don't belong to anyone I know.

He did say he doesn't care about the shirts and hats, even though I've offered to mail them back (one hat has been worn once). So free workout clothes, I guess. Wear the t-shirts inside out to cover up the logos, and since I have fairly long hair, I always need a hat when I'm working out to keep the sweat (and hair) out of my face. He just asked that I return any pizza bags or car signs I have (I don't have any), and offered to meet me somewhere if I happened to have any.

Crappy way to leave a job, but it's not a job I plan to ever list on a resume, and I've already taken it off of LinkedIn entirely, and I'll take it off Facebook eventually (my Facebook profile is mostly set to friends only).

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I swear you have terrible luck. hopefully there's some massive windfall coming your way to make up for it.

Today I tried to replace a light switch. One of the little pivot nub things was broken on the toggle. No big deal, right? I should mention this is in the caravan. Took the plate off and was greeted by wiring that was possibly Romulan in origin. I just stared. It's using DPDT light switches (which I didn't even know existed) and has the rest of the circuit either looped in or daisy chained. Taking the outside light switch off that was just next to it yielded no enlightenment. The 12v light wires were even worse.

Anyhow I ended up kludging together a functional switch out of the 12 and mains switches and used a normal mains switch to replace the 12V one. I also used a new raised square backing plate that I found when I was getting rid of the last load of rubbish. So now I'm left wondering where I can get a DPDT light switch from to replace my bodge job. I've never seen the things. Anyone know?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

General_Failure posted:

Today I tried to replace a light switch. One of the little pivot nub things was broken on the toggle. No big deal, right? I should mention this is in the caravan. Took the plate off and was greeted by wiring that was possibly Romulan in origin. I just stared.

I feel your pain, I've helped parents and in-laws repair and upgrade caravans and they are you the worst combination of idiotic design, outright dangerously stupid materials choice and terrible workmanship. I'm tempted to build my own from scratch one day.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I see DPDT switches fairly often here, but never in residential - generally they're used to shut off cooking equipment but keep the exhaust fan running, when the exhaust is tied into the equipment - also on pool equipment. They tend to be $$$.

I'm going to guess the caravan switched both 12V and mains? Which is illegal as all gently caress in the same switch/junction box here, but I don't know how your electrical laws work.

The short version is look to a commercial/industrial electrical supply, if Australia hasn't legislated them out of existence yet. Hell, someone stateside could send you one, the good ones are rated for 600VAC, while the cheap ones are rated for 277V. This one looks like what you're looking for, except in a US format, assuming you want a typical wall switch. If you're not after a traditional wall switch, something like this will work.

Just got off the phone with Verizon, got the most helpful person I've ever dealt with. He did offer to waive the ETF, but he went over my bill, my current discounts, and said "honestly, it would make no sense for you to switch - it would cost <X> to do so, and even with the 12 month promo period from Time Warner, you'll only save about $10/month.. and you'd be losing all of your premium channels and get stuck with an ETF". He was completely honest about everything, and said he'd have no problem waiving the ETF if that's what I wanted to do. Apparently the last person to touch my account dumped every discount possible on my account.

What sucks is I was told that if I ever wanted to downgrade, I could with no issue. He informed me that was only if I moved to an area where FiOS wasn't available. He also strongly hinted at watching my email and the Verizon website over the next few months, and said some steep discounts will be showing up just before Frontshit takes over.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

I feel your pain, I've helped parents and in-laws repair and upgrade caravans and they are you the worst combination of idiotic design, outright dangerously stupid materials choice and terrible workmanship. I'm tempted to build my own from scratch one day.

You're not kidding. A couple of days ago I overbalanced and put my knee through the low density lovely chipboard under the cushion of the lounge thing. Broke the lift up hatch in half and the surround for it too :( Also their choice to use a piece of pine or something around the edge of the bottom of the pop top to screw the canvas into and stop the water was pretty retarded.

I've been giving a little thought to the wiring. Still not sure how it works. Don't know if it's in a proper loop or some kind of bus with the lights hanging off it sort of like a hardwired lamp cord with inline switch.

some texas redneck posted:

I see DPDT switches fairly often here, but never in residential - generally they're used to shut off cooking equipment but keep the exhaust fan running, when the exhaust is tied into the equipment - also on pool equipment. They tend to be $$$.

I'm going to guess the caravan switched both 12V and mains? Which is illegal as all gently caress in the same switch/junction box here, but I don't know how your electrical laws work.

The short version is look to a commercial/industrial electrical supply, if Australia hasn't legislated them out of existence yet. Hell, someone stateside could send you one, the good ones are rated for 600VAC, while the cheap ones are rated for 277V. This one looks like what you're looking for, except in a US format, assuming you want a typical wall switch. If you're not after a traditional wall switch, something like this will work.

The caravan has both 12v and 240v yes. The systems never touch but there is a couple of shared faceplates. It probably is illegal. Caravans are never really good at the whole legality thing. Your switches are totally different. I took a photo of the weird switch but I'll have to upload it tomorrow.

I'm struggling to understand how the switches were DPDT but I guess technically they were. I've never seen anything like how they worked inside either. They used variations of normal parts to do something weird. Usually they have a little slider or rocker thing that's shifted by the switch via a small spring. This kind of did it too, only the moving parts were perpendicular to the switch instead of parallel. The switching bus pieces sat in two terminals shaped like a J. The busses were still moved by little springs on the switch, but the spring sat on the end of them. The other terminals completed the J into a U shape with an air gap. It reminded me of a weird kind of blade switch.
Essentially when they fell to pieces when I took the backing plate off I had no idea what the hell I was looking at or how it went back together for quite some time. Can I say I'm not fond of the idea of active and neutral hanging so close together in a switch of that design.

e: now with photorealistic drawing.

That bit at the top is meant to be the toggle with the spring under it.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 22, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Avengers : Age of Ulron - very good. Quite a number of decent surprises, it's pretty much Hawk-Eye's movie and that's pretty well done.

My major issue - Holy gently caress for a AI Ultron's plan was loving retarded. It's pure comic book stupid. Absolutly does not ruin the movie so dont get me wrong I'm watching it again but fuuuuuuuuck me Ultron is one dumb mother fucker.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

CommieGIR posted:

I spent about 4 hours building a hangar and a salvage ship in space engineers with some goons last night.

Then I accidently rammed the salvage ship with a respawn ship and it blew into fragments. That was about the point that I turned in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sandbagger SA posted:

I spent about 4 hours building a hangar and a salvage ship in space engineers with some goons last night.

Then I accidently rammed the salvage ship with a respawn ship and it blew into fragments. That was about the point that I turned in.

I finally got my SSTO program off the ground and successfully docked to their refueling station in orbit.

That large guy on the left is just the fuel transfer vehicle, it was undocked and de-orbited after transferring.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeahhhh mandatory raises. Not much but Ill take an extra $38.81 every two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I pretty much officially got the job with Performance Air. Higher pay than the other job I applied at and more of an opportunity to move up.

Plus its mostly refrigeration instead of ductwork. No hot house atttics. Yay!

• Locked thread