Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think that having both made of steel and one-piece or keywayed somehow works really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Except for all the valves it shitcanned upon its demise. Removing a head and Pistons is a shithouse job

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah. It's well and good to design a cheap but critical part as a "fuse" for the system, so when it fails the whole thing just stops working. But it's missing the point if when your "fuse" fails the rest of your house bursts into flames.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That sure looks like a 2000 split port induction in a Ford... ask Fart Pipe what he thinks of those worthless loving motors sometime :v:

Also, I like the eco friendly WJ LCA. Saw another pic of it a while ago I think, or a similar one, someone used a 2x4 as a control arm and two 4.0L head bolts to install it.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I had my driver's side sill repaired last April. The car was then taken off the road in October, and returned to the road this month. Check out said repaired sill!

Going over to the bodyshop today to demand a refund. This is a bodyshop I've been reccomended to use, and I'm so loving angry. That hole was put through with my finger.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kastein posted:

That sure looks like a 2000 split port induction in a Ford... ask Fart Pipe what he thinks of those worthless loving motors sometime :v:

I'm literally shaking right now just thinking about it, gently caress that stupid engine.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Falken posted:

I had my driver's side sill repaired last April. The car was then taken off the road in October, and returned to the road this month. Check out said repaired sill!

Going over to the bodyshop today to demand a refund. This is a bodyshop I've been reccomended to use, and I'm so loving angry. That hole was put through with my finger.

structural_paint.gif

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's a load-bearing poster!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Falken posted:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Falken posted:

Are the lovely cancer spots to the right of it part of the repair also?

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dropped his roach in the dog house did he?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Zoinks!

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Ruh-roh!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

drat MEDDLING KIDS

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I didn't know Iowa still had snow this time of year.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jinkies.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

smax
Nov 9, 2009

So my mom's 2011 X5 just committed suicide. I really need to get pictures of it - I'll see if my mom can get some out of the service guy at the dealership.

Apparently this past weekend over the course of a few minutes, a light vibration started up, which turned into a pretty bad vibration, which was followed by a big BANG followed by a whole bunch of noise, leaking oil, and a seized engine/transmission. It appears that the front driveshaft let go, taking out the transmission, transfer case, and the engine block in the process. It should all be covered under warranty (she's glad I convinced her to get the extended factory warranty now).

The car's been a mess ever since she got it. Her first transfer case went out in the first couple of years of owning it, and they've been chasing down intermittent problems over the ~4 years that she's had the car. Now they basically need to rip out the entire drivetrain and replace it all. Hopefully the next ~30,000 miles are pretty uneventful then she can dump the thing for something else.

Part of me thinks that a U joint or something wasn't installed correctly or lubricated properly when they replaced the transfer case a couple years back. That's pure speculation on my part since I haven't actually seen the car, but whatever. It wouldn't be the only thing they hosed up on that job.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know if it's the fault of their training system, or the fault of their recruiting strategy or something else entirely, but BMW dealers always seem to have terrible, clueless techs who rarely have any idea as to what they're doing and almost always solve things by shotgunning parts at the problem.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I don't understand this mentality. Would it have been so hard to find an appropriate length of square steel tubing? No! I understand needing to make something work now, but why does that translate to finding the shittiest possible solution and then ignoring it for years?

Says the guy who "fixed" his motorcycle's clutch lever with a length of iron pipe

Wait, this wasn't just a kludge to get to the shop? :stonk:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

smax posted:

So my mom's 2011 X5 just committed suicide. I really need to get pictures of it - I'll see if my mom can get some out of the service guy at the dealership.

Apparently this past weekend over the course of a few minutes, a light vibration started up, which turned into a pretty bad vibration, which was followed by a big BANG followed by a whole bunch of noise, leaking oil, and a seized engine/transmission. It appears that the front driveshaft let go, taking out the transmission, transfer case, and the engine block in the process. It should all be covered under warranty (she's glad I convinced her to get the extended factory warranty now).

The car's been a mess ever since she got it. Her first transfer case went out in the first couple of years of owning it, and they've been chasing down intermittent problems over the ~4 years that she's had the car. Now they basically need to rip out the entire drivetrain and replace it all. Hopefully the next ~30,000 miles are pretty uneventful then she can dump the thing for something else.

Part of me thinks that a U joint or something wasn't installed correctly or lubricated properly when they replaced the transfer case a couple years back. That's pure speculation on my part since I haven't actually seen the car, but whatever. It wouldn't be the only thing they hosed up on that job.

Honestly you should introduce her to the wonderful world of leasing. 60% of German lux cars in North America are leased for a reason.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Honestly you should introduce her to the wonderful world of leasing. 60% of German lux cars in North America are leased for a reason.

This is how I respond when people say something like should I buy a vw..
"No, i recommend that you lease the poo poo out of one if you want one."

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I don't know if it's the fault of their training system, or the fault of their recruiting strategy or something else entirely, but BMW dealers always seem to have terrible, clueless techs who rarely have any idea as to what they're doing and almost always solve things by shotgunning parts at the problem.

Fixed that for you. I was once one of those techs they had "Diagnosing" which was really just shotgunning parts at a car till it stayed away. Like the car they forced me to put a belt on even though it was a starter issue.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Slavvy posted:

naughty coolant.

I don't know why this phrase made me laugh so hard, but it really did.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

smax posted:

Pictures have been requested, and the service guy said they'd snap some when they pull everything apart. It might be a few weeks for them to get all of the parts in and tear the thing down though.

Apparently the drive shaft in some X5s was subject to a recall, but hers wasn't in the date range for it to be an issue (allegedly). They might need to expand that recall a bit...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

Because the people who want these cars new are the people who want to always be seen in a newish luxury sedan?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I remember seeing that poo poo in a Haynes manual (I think) and just wondering WTF.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's not the spring setup that worries me - it's the halfshafts running through the oilpan that I don't trust.

Jesus Christ

quite surprised Zee Germans didn't just add inboard brakes to the design, because unsprung weight is bad, and also gently caress you

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not far enough.
Inboard brakes right near the oil pan so you need special low temp pads and rotors so you dont get an oil fire. $450 for the set.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Darchangel posted:

I remember seeing that poo poo in a Haynes manual (I think) and just wondering WTF.

Colour? In a Haynes? Heresy!

AA Book of the Car, I think.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Came closer than I'd like to pulling this one off today. A fuel line was actually NOT tightened like I thought, and I accidentally knocked it off with a screwdriver while the engine was running. Cue gasoline skeet-skeeting all over the engine block, exhaust manifolds (quickly converting into ominous looking smoke), fender, and the goddamned wall 5 feet away. A minute later I loving slipped in the puddle and drat near fell on my rear end. Woulda served me right.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

BraveUlysses posted:

Because the people who want these cars new are the people who want to always be seen in a newish luxury sedan?

No because those cars are expensive as poo poo to maintain and they don't hold their value. Luxury sedans are meant to be leased and then they get returned and pimped out to the poser hood rich crowd. That's why I got to watch a neighbor get his 9 year old 7 series BMW repossessed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

buttcrackmenace posted:

Jesus Christ

quite surprised Zee Germans didn't just add inboard brakes to the design, because unsprung weight is bad, and also gently caress you

I think a few north-south engine oriented cars that have AWD have the front diff mounted on the sump like that. The Ford Sierra XRTi 4x4 and Nissan Skyline GTR come to mind.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

buttcrackmenace posted:

Jesus Christ

Is the driveshaft tunnel through the sump made of superior German plastic?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

You guys speak as though halfshafts going through the sump isn't a common occurrence these days. I can think of a pile of cars that do exactly that.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

There's always the less mechanically crazy option of placing the engine in front of the front axle and integrating the transmission, front diff, and center diff into a single, symmetrical unit.

Of course, that does screw with your weight distribution and gives you a rather long front overhang. Especially when you have a turbo I-5 in the front like that. :allears:

Subarus basically have the same setup but gets around some of the weight distribution and overhang issue by using a shorter engine with only 2 to 3 rows of cylinders.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 22, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Edward IV posted:

There's always the less mechanically crazy option of placing the engine in front of the front axle and integrating the transmission, front diff, and center diff into a single, symmetrical unit.

Of course, that does screw with your weight distribution and gives you a rather long front overhang. Especially when you have a turbo I-5 in the front like that. :allears:

Subarus basically have the same setup but gets around some of the weight distribution and overhang issue by using a shorter engine with only 2 to 3 rows of cylinders.

The Audi ran a ~65-35 weight split, with 65 over the front wheels and 35 over the rear, made up for by the 50/50 torque split thanks to the torsen differential.

Having two of these cars has really sold me however, the weight split isn't even noticeable, it became MORE of an issue on the shorter Sport Quattro, especially as they pushed more and more power from the 20v motor, up to 550 HP at the end of Group B

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 22, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

spog posted:

Colour? In a Haynes? Heresy!

AA Book of the Car, I think.

I think it was actually Chiltons. I probably still have the book, because I seem to hang on to them despite no longer having the car they were for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's like you guys just realized haynes and chiltons are full of omissions, inaccuracies, bullshit, outright lies, oversimplifications, and terrible ideas :allears: