Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Why... why are there capture points in a naval game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Madurai posted:

Why... why are there capture points in a naval game?

So people go and fight the enemy.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Theoretically, anyway.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Prav posted:

My favorite detail with the draw rates is that last patch reduced the rate that you capped and got points from domination points.

You'd think that the designers would consider players getting >10% draw rates on a 20 min timer to be something very very concerning but apparently getting a victory was actually too easy.
I'm in agreement with xthetenth in that the lowered point rate from points in domination makes it better. Blowouts happened really frequently pre-change. I've had quite a few games now come down to both teams being neck in neck with 2 or 3 ships on each team and that poo poo's pretty intense. Also it's pretty much impossible to draw a domination match, since if time runs out it gives the win to the team with the most points. I learned this the hard way.

2 cap is bad and dumb however

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I think it's much more a map, balance and playerbase issue than it was a dom rate issue. Fixing the first two should have been the priority.

Of course most of what's happening with the game is that the players are getting the game that they deserve. Generally I think people should get things that are better than what they deserve but hey I guess this works too.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Its fun. I didn't like Tanks all that much.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Prav posted:

I think it's much more a map, balance and playerbase issue than it was a dom rate issue. Fixing the first two should have been the priority.

Of course most of what's happening with the game is that the players are getting the game that they deserve. Generally I think people should get things that are better than what they deserve but hey I guess this works too.

Bigger teams take longer to kill each other, so the effective timer the game's on should take longer. Simple problem, simple fix, and it works. Endgame's pretty awesome and well worth having.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I don't get how changing parts of a game mode is "not balance" seeing as how balance is more than how ships interact with each other in a vacuum.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Insert name here posted:

I don't get how changing parts of a game mode is not "balance" seeing as how balance is more than how ships interact with each other in a vacuum.

The main thing is that current lethality means that moving onto a cap point in anything but a destroyer is very, very dangerous. So no one does it and a grabbed point often just ticks away uncontested after all the small ships kill each other or 80% of the other team is dead. Couple this with maps like Fault Line and, well, we've seen the result. Reducing the cap rate is a band-aid that hides the underlying issues.

Unless, of course, you actually like two-salvo kill model. I don't, and I hope the armor changes in the next patch address it.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, I think this is the best daily I've ever had. :stare:

Seriously, if you're not a BB or a Des Moines, don't gently caress with a Baltimore at 10km. They just kept trying and got their asses blown to hell for it.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
Do you guys have any tips or tricks on how to lead and aim shots? I feel like there has to be more to it than just guessing and going from there.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

MadWOPR posted:

Do you guys have any tips or tricks on how to lead and aim shots? I feel like there has to be more to it than just guessing and going from there.

Hit alt to see about how long you have to lead, otherwise you just have to get a feel for it. Or install that aim mod or whatever

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014

gwrtheyrn posted:

Hit alt to see about how long you have to lead, otherwise you just have to get a feel for it. Or install that aim mod or whatever

With that travel time indicator, is there a way to have your boat hold its gun on one spot to track how long a boat travels in that many seconds? Or is it more just intuition?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

MadWOPR posted:

Use alt to find range and time for your shots to land, gauge and/or learn what speeds each ship goes at, and learn roughly how far to lead the target. Follow your shots and see how badly off you were, using the right mouse button immediately after you shoot to check for ramming/terrain/destroyers running toward you.

Zoom back in by releasing the right mouse again, and keep an eye on how well you did. Try to see if they're zig zagging (cruisers are much more adept at this than battleships, and unless you can catch them unawares are very difficult to hit). It's honestly just practice. Your first few games with a battleship will likely be terribly painful.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Drone posted:

Have they mentioned anything about what the eventual "final" ship/country selection is going to look like? It's all but a given that they'll eventually add British ships and maybe German. Have they said anything in about adding other nation's ships, maybe as a subset of one of the larger nations? Like put some Regia Marina ships into the German tech tree, like how War Thunder has Italian planes under Germany. Or Dutch ships under the British tree.

Russian fleet is next, followed by Germans and then the Brits, unless they changed up the order again. Def Russians next though.

That will probably take them like 2-3 years to implement so who knows about how they'll handle france/italy etc.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Prav posted:

The main thing is that current lethality means that moving onto a cap point in anything but a destroyer is very, very dangerous. So no one does it and a grabbed point often just ticks away uncontested after all the small ships kill each other or 80% of the other team is dead. Couple this with maps like Fault Line and, well, we've seen the result. Reducing the cap rate is a band-aid that hides the underlying issues.

Unless, of course, you actually like two-salvo kill model. I don't, and I hope the armor changes in the next patch address it.
I never really have any trouble capping points in my cruiser. v:shobon:v Mind you I've played a poo poo ton of cruisers so I've gotten very adept at dodging shots in my Pensacola/New Orleans.

Also I'm looking forward to the new shell/armour model as well but I doubt it's going to change too much.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Insert name here posted:

I never really have any trouble capping points in my cruiser. v:shobon:v Mind you I've played a poo poo ton of cruisers so I've gotten very adept at dodging shots in my Pensacola/New Orleans.

Also I'm looking forward to the new shell/armour model as well but I doubt it's going to change too much.

Yeah, cruisers can often do it or chase destroyers off for theirs to cap it. Battleships can even do a good job of pushing enemies back if well supported, it's in large part about keeping good positioning awareness and knowing whether you're there to keep the enemy bottled up so you can grab the other points or you want to kill fast to cap or just to cap and fight to hold it.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

MadWOPR posted:

With that travel time indicator, is there a way to have your boat hold its gun on one spot to track how long a boat travels in that many seconds? Or is it more just intuition?

If you untarget a ship you, can do that. Mostly useful for faraway shots.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

How do you do this?

Baudin posted:

Your first few games with a battleship will likely be terribly painful.

Your first few games with a battleship will also be painful because you have a whole 8km range. Everything else you're going against will outrange you :v:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

How do you do this?

Press X to untarget/target someone else.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I could understand complaints about draws in standard battles, but domination? I do not think I have ever had a domination game end in a draw. I don't want to be the type of guy that says stuff like this, but if you honestly have a 10+% draw rate, you are not playing aggressively enough. Be the change you want to see and all that.

As someone said earlier in the thread, standard or encounter battle draws could be fixed by having the timer hold at zero if a base is being capped. That probably would reduce draws by 50% if not more.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Thanks to you and the other guy with the info, this will be massively helpful.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

For some reason unknown to me, the game feels like it should have more players on each side. Some of the maps can easily have 30 v 30, the problem is that all the individuals go toward one side, since this has become the norm. Gameplay and the meta will change once they introduce more features, but it is somewhat bland at the moment. Also, there is a visual mod that changes how you aim in, it gives you different modes of view while firing, to include a top down version. Definitely a worth looking at.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Put 30v30 on open ocean, maybe it will be a less terrible map

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The Mutsuki is... underwhelming. Though sometimes, you still get to be the most :ninja: rear end in a top hat imaginable.

Watching carrier drivers completely flip their poo poo when a DD suddenly appears just 6 klicks away and closing never gets old. After throwing everything and the kitchen sink at me didn't work, one of them actually tried to play a game of chicken with me. I just swerved at like 2 km and put three torps straight through his side while chasing for the other one already. :allears:

Magni fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 22, 2015

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.
So with the AP vs HE swing, has anyone found a new good rule of thumb for when to switch back and forth? I would think DDs might stay with HE mostly now? Cruisers should save the AP for close range against other cruisers and BBs? and BBs should just stay AP still?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Erm, the patch isn't implemented yet. It's probably going to hit by the end of the month, so you'll have to wait and see for now.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Magni posted:

The Mutsuki is... underwhelming. Though sometimes, you still get to be the most :ninja: rear end in a top hat imaginable.

Watching carrier drivers completely flip their poo poo when a DD suddenly appears just 6 klicks away and closing never gets old. After throwing everything and the kitchen sink at me didn't work, one of them actually tried to play a game of chicken with me. I just swerved at like 2 km and put three torps straight through his side while chasing for the other one already. :allears:

Carriers get secondary armaments eventually.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Saipans do already. Not like that's gonna save their asses when I'm rolling into town. This guy, though? He came straight at me and I guess he really wanted to ram me. Even turned further into me when I swerved.

Edit:

Oh yeah, got my first BB driver mad enough at torpedos to complain in the chat - I took the screenie a bit too late, but he was complaining about getting one-salvoed from full health in his Fuso. :allears:

He went a wee bit close to the magical realm of smoke and torpedos. So when I charged out, he couldn't swing the turrets fast enough. I risked the secondaries, went within 2.5km and shoved all six torps on narrow spread right into his side at the #2 turret. And then I did the same to a Myogi that bumbled around an island corner right next to me despite knowing that I was around.

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 21, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

grrarg posted:

I could understand complaints about draws in standard battles, but domination? I do not think I have ever had a domination game end in a draw.

Domination is the three cap points, first to 1k wins right? I've had maybe half a dozen of those finish in draws, and it happens because people get too aggressive - instead of going for the points win they try to sink everyone, get sunk themselves and the points just keep going down.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

NTRabbit posted:

Domination is the three cap points, first to 1k wins right? I've had maybe half a dozen of those finish in draws, and it happens because people get too aggressive - instead of going for the points win they try to sink everyone, get sunk themselves and the points just keep going down.

If nobody has won by the end of the timer, the team with more points wins. Those aren't draws. :eng101:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I must be thinking of the single cap point in the middle game type then.

I know I've lost a 3 cap point one 1000-998 before, that was irritating

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I don't think I ever seen this in tanks.

(We lost)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Montefarle posted:

Players on the main forums wanted lower cap rates, got lower cap rates.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/25332-torpedo-reload-time-should-change/#entry702616

I made a giant effortpost on Japanese destroyers on the WoWS forums. No one is going to change the game if we only bitch and moan on SA, while idiot pubbies ask for retarded poo poo like Austro-Hungarian ships and missile cruisers.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

You're gonna get the Minekaze nerfed. :wooper:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if progress will be wiped after beta? I would assume so but I can also apparently spend gold and am using premium time so there's a bit of doubt.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Pendent posted:

Does anyone know if progress will be wiped after beta? I would assume so but I can also apparently spend gold and am using premium time so there's a bit of doubt.

They're calling release "open beta" and there'll be a final wipe when they move from closed beta to open beta. The preorder packages will get reapplied then.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Prav posted:

You're gonna get the Minekaze nerfed. :wooper:

That's a real possibility, but I probably won't play this game if destroyers are useless.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I would be surprised if wargaming fixed the Mutsuki et al. by shortening their reload times instead of "fixing" it by giving dual torpedoes 90 second reloads. It would be very out of character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/25332-torpedo-reload-time-should-change/#entry702616

I made a giant effortpost on Japanese destroyers on the WoWS forums. No one is going to change the game if we only bitch and moan on SA, while idiot pubbies ask for retarded poo poo like Austro-Hungarian ships and missile cruisers.

The link doesn't go anywhere! Though I agree that some conversation should be started on the WoWS forums about IJN destroyers.

Edit: Excuse me, I was just not logged in.

OSad fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 22, 2015