Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Zypher posted:

As a fan that's completely removed from Austin now, I'm curious -- what's Patterson doing that's harming the gameday experience?

Season ticket renewal and attendance dipping in light of the losing product we have on the field doesn't surprise me. But Patterson gave the fanbase what they wanted by firing Mack Brown and hiring, by all indications so far, a very exciting replacement. Same with the basketball program (obviously much too early to tell if it's a good hire). There must be something else I'm not understanding, because I don't think his fantasies of games in Mexico and/or Dubai are the main source of discontent.

At least from what I hear, most people are pretty supportive of Strong. The absurd oversaturation of advertising didn't start under Patterson, but he has hardly curbed it, and he continues to champion a vision of having a "pro sports" atmosphere at UT. Apparently that means jet packs and DJs and dot races and constantly drowning out the band/killing the crowd energy with various intrusive nonsense, most of it with advertising shoehorned in. It's lame. People are mad partially because the bad results on the field make it much harder to see past the annoying poo poo that was already going on, but also because many had hoped that the end of the Deloss era would mean a step back from overt whorishness, and instead Patterson is running toward it as fast as he can while jacking up ticket prices and talking about how we need to expand our brand in to China or some poo poo.

If I had to guess, I'd say that this outreach to Dubai is a result of Patterson watching zillionaire oil sheiks stream in to town for the Formula One races and popping a giant misshapen money boner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thermos H Christ posted:

Chip Brown claims season ticket renewals are down over 20% from last year. Could be wrong but seems pretty believable. As it stands I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to a game at DKR when they could watch from home, which bums me out. It should feel like a cathedral erected to glorify all that is holy and good (i.e. Texas football), but it feels more like one of those lovely carnivals that's all ripoff midway games and vastly overpriced junk food.

Det alt account spotted.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Ugh. There's been some articles posted around the net talking about how Whit Babcock, thanks to having a pre-existing relationship with him, has definitely talked to Rich Rodriguez about the VT job in the recent past. Regardless of whether or not we ever end up hiring him, I just can't comprehend the sheer amount of bitching the VT fans on our fan sites are doing about the possibility.

It's absurd. I know VT hates offense, but because he's a WVU alum and former coach, lots of folks have been saying they'd rather we hire a less competent coach just because they don't want RR. Others have been saying they'd stop supporting the team entirely if we hired him. Idgi. But I'd be pretty excited about the hire at this point if only to drive off those specific fans.

And it's just a rumor about the two having talked!

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

As a Virginia fan I really hope VT does not hire Rich Rod, that's a home loving run of a hire

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thermos H Christ posted:

At least from what I hear, most people are pretty supportive of Strong. The absurd oversaturation of advertising didn't start under Patterson, but he has hardly curbed it, and he continues to champion a vision of having a "pro sports" atmosphere at UT. Apparently that means jet packs and DJs and dot races and constantly drowning out the band/killing the crowd energy with various intrusive nonsense, most of it with advertising shoehorned in. It's lame. People are mad partially because the bad results on the field make it much harder to see past the annoying poo poo that was already going on, but also because many had hoped that the end of the Deloss era would mean a step back from overt whorishness, and instead Patterson is running toward it as fast as he can while jacking up ticket prices and talking about how we need to expand our brand in to China or some poo poo.

If I had to guess, I'd say that this outreach to Dubai is a result of Patterson watching zillionaire oil sheiks stream in to town for the Formula One races and popping a giant misshapen money boner.

On top of all the things you said, word has it that he's also both an insufferable rear end, and a crazy paranoid gently caress who runs UT athletics like the Nixon administration. Which may or may not include wire-tapping his staff.

Things have gotten so bad that Augie Garrido (our baseball coach) is considering retiring after the 2016 season, partly because he's so tired of all the bullshit going on in the athletic department right now. And supposedly, he isn't the only one thinking about leaving soon.

Basically, things are a mess right now, and Patterson seems to be at the center of a lot of it. We might need to get his rear end gone fast.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Ungratek posted:

As a Virginia fan I really hope VT does not hire Rich Rod, that's a home loving run of a hire

Yeah, that's my take. I'm hopeful with Whit there, but there's also been a whole lot of talk about Beamer sticking around multiple more years, and it's not like he's shown anything in the last three years that justifies keeping him...

The thought is that they'd hire a coach like RichRod to run the team/offense and try to keep on Bud Foster. If we could get RR or a similarly competent offensive mind without having to adopt something stupid like his 3-3-5, I'd be all for it.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Augie is 76; he's been rumored to retire since I was in school.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Gotcha. Like you said, a lot of that started under Deloss (hello, taking all the excitement out of Godzillatron with ads) so I'm surprised anti-Patterson is already so high when he's doing a great job at hiring coaches.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Stanford Fullback Patrick Skov is taking a graduate transfer to Georgia Tech, where he'll play B-Back. He has a very good chance at being the starter. This comes as a relief to Tech fans as offseason injuries have devastated our depth at the position as of late.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Zypher posted:

Augie is 76; he's been rumored to retire since I was in school.

Gotcha. Like you said, a lot of that started under Deloss (hello, taking all the excitement out of Godzillatron with ads) so I'm surprised anti-Patterson is already so high when he's doing a great job at hiring coaches.

Announcing season ticket prices increasing while the product on the field is still bad and the program posts record profit has a little to do with it.

And yeah the game day experience inside DKR blows now. Loud rear end commercials basically all the time when plays aren't running.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Oh and Patterson had the nerve to declare that season ticket holders can no longer sell their tickets on the secondary market if they are only giving the required annual donation that was in effect when they first signed up for the tickets, instead of this year's jacked-up rate. We haven't sold out a game in years, nobody was even getting face value for their unused tickets. It screams of contempt for anyone who might be enough of a sucker to show some loyalty.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I don't know how to link this as a video but go watch it anyway. It's 29 seconds of Eric Legrand moving his upper body fully on his own. It's awesome and I'm sure my room is just dusty.

https://twitter.com/EricLeGrand52/status/590639686294642688

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thermos H Christ posted:

Oh and Patterson had the nerve to declare that season ticket holders can no longer sell their tickets on the secondary market if they are only giving the required annual donation that was in effect when they first signed up for the tickets, instead of this year's jacked-up rate. We haven't sold out a game in years, nobody was even getting face value for their unused tickets. It screams of contempt for anyone who might be enough of a sucker to show some loyalty.

How do they prevent someone from selling their tickets? Are they all electronic and tied to the main donors drivers license or something?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Thermos H Christ posted:

I hear Dave Brandon is still looking for a job...

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thoguh posted:

How do they prevent someone from selling their tickets? Are they all electronic and tied to the main donors drivers license or something?

As a practical matter I don't know how they could prevent you from selling at all, but StubHub is a partner with UT so it will no longer be possible to sell on there and the license on the ticket says you can't sell it.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Gross.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Thermos H Christ posted:

Chip Brown claims season ticket renewals are down over 20% from last year. Could be wrong but seems pretty believable. As it stands I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to a game at DKR when they could watch from home, which bums me out. It should feel like a cathedral erected to glorify all that is holy and good (i.e. Texas football), but it feels more like one of those lovely carnivals that's all ripoff midway games and vastly overpriced junk food.

Sounds like you need to get somebody that really knows what they are doing in terms of business and marketing the game day atmosphere. I am pretty sure David Brandon would come to UT and help you guys out.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Hey, we hate you, how's about you donate some money?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Now I'm wondering why sports stadiums don't have rip-off carny games under the stands...

I mean, that kind of crap seems like something that baseball stadiums would be full of for some vague "tradition" reason. But that marriage never happened in the late 19th/early 20th century, against all reason.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sash! posted:

Its my understanding that Penn State had its spring game on Saturday.

That's the extent of my knowledge and also about as much impact as it will have on the upcoming season

I was there! It was a real shitshow. Blue was the first string for both offense and defense which is okay I guess but it seems like a lot of the second stringers were on blue too so white was in many cases a bunch of nobodies. Said nobodies proceeded to sack Hackenberg multiple times and keep the score to 7-17. Our backup QB did not play at all despite the original plan being to use him for most of the game (on blue, with white's being some freshie) so who knows if he is injured, has grade problems or is on the coach's shitlist.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Speaking of stadiums in Texas, Kyle Field might be the only university sponsored construction project I've seen to actually finish on time.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

It's amazing what nearly unlimited money can do.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
How does an army cosplay club that keeps all their seed in jars manage to populate a stadium that big

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raku posted:

How does an army cosplay club that keeps all their seed in jars manage to populate a stadium that big

When they hear "pull out" they think it means to yell slightly differently.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Jet fuel can't melt wooden bonfioh way no it definitely can, it definitely definitely can

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
It's more like "it's amazing what can happen when you have an absolute deadline where failure to meet it would result in loss of revenue and fines in the millions if not tens of millions of dollars range".

If you're upgrading a stadium there's a due date and it doesn't matter if you need to fly in migrant slaves from Qatar to finish building it, it's for drat sure getting done.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

I was there! It was a real shitshow. Blue was the first string for both offense and defense which is okay I guess but it seems like a lot of the second stringers were on blue too so white was in many cases a bunch of nobodies. Said nobodies proceeded to sack Hackenberg multiple times and keep the score to 7-17. Our backup QB did not play at all despite the original plan being to use him for most of the game (on blue, with white's being some freshie) so who knows if he is injured, has grade problems or is on the coach's shitlist.

Hrm, so Morelli comes out and looks like the unholy genetic coupling of Montana, Marino, Elway, and Tecmo Montana and its an 8-4 season...so by this logic...15-0 here we come

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

quote:

"A week before was my buddy’s birthday and we went and got a cake. We met a dude inside Publix and he said, ‘Hey, anytime you come in, I got you.’ [With the crab legs] he just gave them to me and I walked out. Someone from inside the store had told security I didn’t pay for them and that’s how the whole thing started."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Does this count as impermissible benefits? FSU should get the death penalty IMO.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pakled posted:

Does this count as impermissible benefits? FSU should get the death penalty IMO.

Well, he did admit to getting them for free because he was recognized, so it really depends on how much of a boner you want to be with the rules.

Burn FSU to the ground and take their championship away, but don't give it to Auburn either.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You can't set Florida State on fire, that's how they get their power!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

You're supposed to have a buddy pick up your hookups for you >:|

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That would also prevent us from watching them lose a bunch. Keep them alive but give them a 30 scholarship penalty for the next three decades. Also make them play the previous year's FCS champion as their season opener every year.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VDay posted:

That would also prevent us from watching them lose a bunch. Keep them alive but give them a 30 scholarship penalty for the next three decades. Also make them play the previous year's FCS champion as their season opener every year.

Imagine a boot labeled NDSU, forever.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Nur_Neerg posted:

Yeah, that's my take. I'm hopeful with Whit there, but there's also been a whole lot of talk about Beamer sticking around multiple more years, and it's not like he's shown anything in the last three years that justifies keeping him...

The thought is that they'd hire a coach like RichRod to run the team/offense and try to keep on Bud Foster. If we could get RR or a similarly competent offensive mind without having to adopt something stupid like his 3-3-5, I'd be all for it.

Then you don't want Rich Rod.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

As soon as the story broke I assumed it was something like this where a manager or other higher up store employee was doing this kinda stuff for certain players. Tough to prove, too, since it's the player against the store.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

It's more like "it's amazing what can happen when you have an absolute deadline where failure to meet it would result in loss of revenue and fines in the millions if not tens of millions of dollars range".

If you're upgrading a stadium there's a due date and it doesn't matter if you need to fly in migrant slaves from Qatar to finish building it, it's for drat sure getting done.

You'd think that, but then you've got no Wrigley field bleachers for half the season and and people pissing in cups on opening day. Although you can probably chalk a lot of that up to being stupid enough to piss off the mayor of Chicago.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thermos H Christ posted:

Hey, we hate you, how's about you donate some money?

"Also Swoopes is gonna start again."

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Thermos H Christ posted:

many had hoped that the end of the Deloss era would mean a step back from overt whorishness, and instead Patterson is running toward it as fast as he can while jacking up ticket prices and talking about how we need to expand our brand in to China or some poo poo.

UT hired a professional sports GM and went public with the expectation said GM would run the Longhorns like a professional franchise; why do UT fans expect another outcome than "UT is even more like pro sports"?

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 22, 2015

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Korranus posted:

UT hired a professional sports GM and went public with the expectation said GM would run the Longhorns like a professional franchise; why do UT fans expect another outcome than "UT is even more like pro sports"?

Yeah, I'm a bit confused by this as well. Seems like he's doing exactly what he was hired to do. I don't think this was the best time to jack up prices -- gotta wait for a few good seasons to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

computer parts posted:

Speaking of stadiums in Texas, Kyle Field might be the only university sponsored construction project I've seen to actually finish on time.

$500 million or whatever ridiculous $Texas amount we're spending could've built a majestic new stadium, but let's just pour more money into the pre-WWI concrete pile with awful sight-lines and a bat colony living inside because TRADITION

• Locked thread