Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wolpertinger posted:

This sounds like a kinda dumb plot and I don't think the series would benefit by making Matt an irredeemable rear end in a top hat and terrible person.

The sad thing? I'm actually not sure WHICH girlfriend's being talked about there. I assume Heather, though? Whom Matt was such an manipulative, uncaring rear end in a top hat towards that she became an alcoholic and killed herself? Because pretty sure the MCU isn't gonna have one of it's heroes be a textbook abusive boyfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

This sounds like a kinda dumb plot and I don't think the series would benefit by making Matt an irredeemable rear end in a top hat and terrible person.

Yeah, Miller's Daredevil isn't really known for being good.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Unmature posted:

Yeah, Miller's Daredevil isn't really known for being good.

There's morally ambiguous and 'not good' and then there's abusive boyfriend who drives woman to suicide.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

There's morally ambiguous and 'not good' and then there's abusive boyfriend who drives woman to suicide.

I meant the quality of the comic you called "dumb" without reading it.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Unmature posted:

I meant the quality of the comic you called "dumb" without reading it.

Even good comics can have dumb bits. And making the main character of your superhero comic be a manipulative rear end in a top hat who drives his girlfriend to alcoholism and suicide sounds like a dumb bit to me. Daredevil has a lot of moral ambiguity, but that sort of crosses the line from 'ambiguity' into 'utterly terrible person'. Why kill all audience sympathy for the main character for some shock value? Look what the punch did for Hank Pym, and driving someone to suicide is considerably worse than that.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 14, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah Frank Miller's Daredevil is a almost a straight up Anti-Hero, but it's also incredibly well drawn and pretty good. It get's almost comically dark.

Antequek
May 30, 2014
So I started reading Frank miller's run and I am about 10 issues in. Once I finish reading all of Miller's work I think I will bite the bullet and read all of Volume 2 before checking out some side books like yellow (what other sidestories/graphic novels would you recomend?) then finally finishing with Waid's run.

However I was wondering is there really nothing worth while in Volume 1 outside of Stan Lee and Frank Miller's respective runs?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Antequek posted:

So I started reading Frank miller's run and I am about 10 issues in. Once I finish reading all of Miller's work I think I will bite the bullet and read all of Volume 2 before checking out some side books like yellow (what other sidestories/graphic novels would you recomend?) then finally finishing with Waid's run.

However I was wondering is there really nothing worth while in Volume 1 outside of Stan Lee and Frank Miller's respective runs?

Typhoid Marys first story is supposed to be pretty swish. I believe its being collected soon.

But other than that, its either terrible to try-hard Miller-ism.

Ghost Boner
Jul 6, 2009

Antequek posted:

Ann Nocenti's run is quite good, especially when John Romita Jr. is on art.

And I say that as someone who doesn't like JR JR.

Roy Thomas/Gene Colan's run isn't too bad either, if you want a more Silver Age "Classic" comic.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I really don't think Lee's Daredevil is all that good. A Poor Man's Spider-Man is exactly it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I have a friend who's interested in theology and who's curious in the religious/theological aspects of Daredevil, are there any specific trades I could recommend her which would contain issues that deal with such moral conflicts? Thanks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Benny the Snake posted:

I have a friend who's interested in theology and who's curious in the religious/theological aspects of Daredevil, are there any specific trades I could recommend her which would contain issues that deal with such moral conflicts? Thanks.

Frank Miller's run is the big one. Bendis run has some elements along with the Waid's Original Sin tie in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also, I'm guessing you're asking because of the Netflix series, but if you're not there's that as well and it plays a pretty big role in that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Benny the Snake posted:

He might like Decalogue.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kevin Smith's run also deals heavily with the religious aspect of the character. I remember liking it when I first read it, but I've soured on Kevin Smith a lot so I'm not sure if it will hold up. But at least it had some excellent Quesada art.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Codependent Poster posted:

Kevin Smith's run also deals heavily with the religious aspect of the character. I remember liking it when I first read it, but I've soured on Kevin Smith a lot so I'm not sure if it will hold up. But at least it had some excellent Quesada art.

Haha armor up, the wolves are coming...

The biggest thing i can say about Smiths run is that it got me into Daredevil, so I'm always a little partial to it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Smith's run was okay at best but elevated Daredevil back into the spotlight which is generally the best you can hope for with a celebrity guest writer.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i don't hate Smith's run, it's got its moments but it's definitely got its problems too.

his Green Arrow run is legitimately good, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

At some point DD seriously considers murdering a baby. gently caress that run.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So at what point does Foggy actually find out about Matt being Daredevil?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

notthegoatseguy posted:

So at what point does Foggy actually find out about Matt being Daredevil?

Mid 90's, Daredevil #347 is the exact issue.

Just after all the armour Daredevil nonsense.It was long overdue and had been pushed to ridiculous points throughout the years with the likes of Mike Murdock. Matt is basically crazy at the time and doing the "fighting under multiple personas" thing and Foggy ends up seeing him without his mask and puts everything together, finally.

It's all really terrible though and not really worth reading outside of curiosity really.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Is that part of the Fall from Grace storyline? I've always wondered if that was worth reading. While it feels like I don't miss too much by going from The Fall of the Kingpin storyline to Kevin Smith's run and the rest of Vol2 whenever I binge read DD in order there are the occasional moments that feel like there are gaps that need filling what with Foggy knowing Matt is Daredevil and Matt not being all that surprised to see Elektra is still alive during the Bendis run or Foggy suddenly having 2 different mothers

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Is that part of the Fall from Grace storyline? I've always wondered if that was worth reading. While it feels like I don't miss too much by going from The Fall of the Kingpin storyline to Kevin Smith's run and the rest of Vol2 whenever I binge read DD in order there are the occasional moments that feel like there are gaps that need filling what with Foggy knowing Matt is Daredevil and Matt not being all that surprised to see Elektra is still alive during the Bendis run or Foggy suddenly having 2 different mothers

The revealing identity stuff comes after the Fall from Grace event itself when they try to do another mini reboot to try and fix the book following the armor Daredevil and "killing off Matt". Fall From Grace is terrible that i could only suggest if someone has extreme 90's nostalgia or is a completionist that likes to suffer. The comics that follow are terrible too, kind of made worse since they try to retcon Elektra Assassin and some of the issues come out parallel to Miller returning with Man Without Fear.

And the Elektra stuff doesn't even get given a proper explanation in the Daredevil title so if you're looking for one the story doesn't give it. I can't remember if the early 00's book gave a proper explanation, it's been a few years since I read it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

The revealing identity stuff comes after the Fall from Grace event itself when they try to do another mini reboot to try and fix the book following the armor Daredevil and "killing off Matt". Fall From Grace is terrible that i could only suggest if someone has extreme 90's nostalgia or is a completionist that likes to suffer. The comics that follow are terrible too, kind of made worse since they try to retcon Elektra Assassin and some of the issues come out parallel to Miller returning with Man Without Fear.

And the Elektra stuff doesn't even get given a proper explanation in the Daredevil title so if you're looking for one the story doesn't give it. I can't remember if the early 00's book gave a proper explanation, it's been a few years since I read it.

I still think one of the stupidest recons is that Typhoid Mary is the prostitute that Matt knocked out of the window in Man without fear. I love that series, but not sure how I feel about that version of Elektra.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't the Typhoid Mary retcon lead to the pretty good Mary/Daredevil issues in Kelly's Deadpool. though?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

The comics that follow are terrible too, kind of made worse since they try to retcon Elektra Assassin and some of the issues come out parallel to Miller returning with Man Without Fear.

Elektra Assassin was never intended to be in line with regular comics (unlike Love and War, which was shifted to "graphic novel" line because editorial did not like the humpty dumpty Kingpin, bastards).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

fatherboxx posted:

Elektra Assassin was never intended to be in line with regular comics (unlike Love and War, which was shifted to "graphic novel" line because editorial did not like the humpty dumpty Kingpin, bastards).

Oh I know and different retcons or continuity is dumb anyway but it just irks me when people do it. The terrible Shadowland did the same with turning Matt into The Beast.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So I'm reading through the Miller run. I've read bits and pieces of it, mostly the first half before, but this second half is almost all new to me.

The Foggy issue was really good. I was surprised that Miller pulled off a fun issue.

My question is about Heather Glenn. There's lots of talk about Matt trying to trick Heather into marrying him. Did I skip an issue or something? I remember a last page of an issue with a marriage proposal, and then Heather only comes back an issue or two later and accepts.

Also, Matt is kind of a dick to her when he talks about her and her company. Really masochistic. It is almost like 1960s Reed Richards levels of "woman should be making food and babies" type stuff.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

At some point DD seriously considers murdering a baby. gently caress that run.

Well, just read the run, and spoilers sorta invalidate the "seriously" there: he's under heavy psychotropic drugs that activate whenever he thinks about that baby. But, of course, that's a stupid spoiler, and nah, I don't really recommend the run.

What I really can barely believe is that KEVIN SMITH is the guy who wrote Bullseye killing Karen Page, which seems like such a monumental thing in the Bendis and Waid runs. It did not get its due in Smith's.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

onefish posted:

What I really can barely believe is that KEVIN SMITH is the guy who wrote Bullseye killing Karen Page, which seems like such a monumental thing in the Bendis and Waid runs. It did not get its due in Smith's.

That comic is always the greatest example to me of the complete change of what comics became valuable. A comic with a major character death in the 70s and 80s quickly became high value - now, nearly worthless.

I was going to pay my college tuition with my 90s collection. :(

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
...I liked Foggy and Karen together and rather strongly assume that this will never happen. Do the comics corroborate this? Is it just me? Other people I've talked to just don't like Foggy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Soylentbits posted:

...I liked Foggy and Karen together and rather strongly assume that this will never happen. Do the comics corroborate this? Is it just me? Other people I've talked to just don't like Foggy.

i was practically ready to start fan shipping Karen and Foggy by like halfway through the season, those two had great chemistry together. Elden Henson's a funny dude.

i don't think they were ever a couple in the comics but i could be wrong

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The early issues have a lot of Karen trying to mother Matt because he's blind and Foggy being a grump because Karen's into Matt and not him. They have a much better dynamic in the show.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Inkspot posted:

The early issues have a lot of Karen trying to mother Matt because he's blind and Foggy being a grump because Karen's into Matt and not him. They have a much better dynamic in the show.

i probably said this already, but Karen is way better in the show, period. they went a long way towards making her an interesting character, pairing her and Ben Urich up was a good call too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Inkspot posted:

Also Karen wanting him to stop being blind as his life must suck as he is blind.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

bobkatt013 posted:

Also Karen wanting him to stop being blind as his life must suck as he is blind.

Thanks for this.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There's a part in early Miller's run where he first meets Elektra and he's totally mackin' on her and she's all "you seem cool but errr" - "I get it... I'm blind" and then he flips out and does ninja moves and spills everything about his superpowers at the drop of a hat, and what the gently caress is going on

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

There's a part in early Miller's run where he first meets Elektra and he's totally mackin' on her and she's all "you seem cool but errr" - "I get it... I'm blind" and then he flips out and does ninja moves and spills everything about his superpowers at the drop of a hat, and what the gently caress is going on

Matt Murdock is terrible at secret identities.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

One of Miller's things as well is that Matt usually acts...normal enough but Elektra is the one person that makes him act crazy around her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Netflix has announced that Daredevil is renewed for season 2 to air in 2016 with Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez taking over showrunners.

This is really interesting cause it means they aren't sticking to the initial 4 solo series leading to Defenders strategy. It looks like any of these shows could get a second season right away if they're successful.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/marvel-daredevil-renewed-season-2-netflix-1201413923/

• Locked thread