Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Who is Daredevil?

Daredevil is Matt Murdock, a swashbuckling blind lawyer from Hells Kitchen. The world's unluckiest superhero, he spends his days attempting to keep his superhero life from destroying his personal life while fighting for justice in the courts and his nights punching criminals on the streets of New York.

Where can I read about this Daredevil?
In his monthly series written by Mark Waid and illustrated by Marcos Martin and Paolo Rivera. As of now (September 2011) it is currently on its 4th issue of a relaunched series and still the perfect time to jump on. Here are some random images from the first few issues to whet your appetite.

How did Daredevil get his powers?
All of your Daredevil origin questions can be answer with Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.s Man Without Fear miniseries. The short story is below, blinded from toxic waste after saving an old man from being run down young angry Matt Murdock is left with enhanced senses and after the death of his father an overwhelming urge for vengeance and justice. The rest is history, featuring ninjas, a crazy girlfriend and a large (not fat) violent Kingpin of crime.

Give me the run down on what's been happening with Daredevil for the last few years!
The last decade of Daredevils life hinges on the death of his ex-girlfriend Karen Page at the hands of Bullseye. Combined with the public outing of his secret identity Matt Murdock suffered a nervous breakdown and become more violent and detached from reality as the list of villains and their tactics to defeat him increased in intensity. All of this cumulated in the (poorly written and illustrated) Shadowland event where his long time rivals The Hand used his unhinged state to possess him with a demon known as The Beast. During this period Matt attempted to murder his friends, turned a section of New York into a ninja warzone and successfully murdered his long time nemesis Bullseye. After being cleansed of The Beasts influence and a bit of soul searching Matt is now attempting to ignore his previous depressing angst filled life and the trouble he caused his friends.

Recommendations
With all that said if you've caught up with Mark Waid's run and are looking for more Daredevil action you're in luck because arguably more than any other Marvel character Daredevil tends to bring out the best in comic book creators so here's a short list of books below to delve into.

Daredevil, The Frank Miller Years
The most influential run on the character Frank Millers run brought in Elektra, ninjas, the tone and style which would be often imitated and cemented the Kingpin as Daredevils nemesis. The easiest way to catch up with this would be in the multiple Daredevil collections including the Visionaries series featuring issues Daredevil issues # 158-#161 and #163-167 (vol.1), #168-#182 (vol.2) and #183-#191 (vol.3). Even with that though there's still Daredevil: Born Again arguably the definitive Daredevil story in which the Kingpin learns of Daredevils true identity, his multitude of great Elektra work which would be worthy of a thread itself: Elektra: Assassin, Elektra Lives Again and his Daredevil: Love and War series with Bill Sienkiewicz. Again a very, very small taste below:

The Bendis Years
Encapsulating Daredevil vol. 2 #16-19, 26-50, 56-81 and as discussed earlier Bendis' run follows the outing of Matt Murdock and the nervous breakdown as a result of this. Combined with Alex Maleev it's by far Bendis' best work and alongside Miller the Daredevil run to read. It's straight up great comics.

The Brubaker Years
Taking the reigns from Bendis, Brubaker managed to successfully one up Bendis on the making Matt Murdock lifes the worst in existence scale and throws in a brilliant prison escape, some jet setting and turned Mr. Fear into a villain not to mess with. It lacks the lighter moments found throughout Bendis' run but is great if often depressing comics.

Battlin' Jack Murdoch
If all of that hasn't filled your Daredevil requirements there's also a lot of great mini series following the character and his supporting cast including Battlin' Jack Murdock by Zeb Wells and Carmine Di Giandomenico. Framed around the last four rounds of Jack Murdocks final fight it fleshes out Matts father from angry drunk to a broken man trying to do the best for his son. Plus it's Zeb Wells which everyone in BSS should know by now results in great books.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

quote:

Give me the run down on what's been happening with Daredevil for the last few years!
The last decade of Daredevils life hinges on the death of his ex-girlfriend Karen Page at the hands of Bullseye. Combined with the public outing of his secret identity Matt Murdock suffered a nervous breakdown and become more violent and detached from reality as the list of villains and their tactics to defeat him increased in intensity. All of this cumulated in the (poorly written and illustrated) Shadowland event where his long time rivals The Hand used his unhinged state to possess him with a demon known as The Beast. During this period Matt attempted to murder his friends, turned a section of New York into a ninja warzone and successfully murdered his long time nemesis Bullseye. After being cleansed of The Beasts influence and a bit of soul searching Matt is now attempting to ignore his previous depressing angst filled life and the trouble he caused his friends.

Awseome OP. I used to read Daredevil volume 2, can't remember why I stopped. I think it was right around the time Foggy Nelson came back from witness relocation or something, I definitely remember "Suddenly Ninjas, hundreds of them" from around this time. I'll give this new series a shot.

So, do the general public still know Matt is Daredevil? Seems like something Marvel would retcon.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

MrFlibble posted:

So, do the general public still know Matt is Daredevil? Seems like something Marvel would retcon.

The relaunched book has taken a new tact with this question. It's one of the central changes that Waid has made to allow for the tone to shift. It's not Silver Age nostalgia by any means, but it's certainly no longer anything like the Bendis/Brubaker run. People basically seem to think that Matt is Daredevil, but no one can prove it or do much with the knowledge.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
No "The Kevin Smith year" section?

I've been loving the current Waid DD, one of the best books Marvel has.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

E the Shaggy posted:

No "The Kevin Smith year" section?

I've been loving the current Waid DD, one of the best books Marvel has.

I tried to limit it to the good-great stuff. All anyone needs to know about the Kevin Smith arc is that Bullseye killed Karen Page and while I enjoy the Mack stuff in Volume 2 it really is more Echo focused than anything else.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
Daredevil's reboot is only two issues in and I'm already loving it. If you've ever read the original run from the 60s, it has that same fun sensibility: Dealing with real-world issues only semi-seriously and letting Daredevil be the swashbuckler he always wanted to be.

Dark, broody Daredevil had its moments but there's only so much struggle you can read about before you quit on it. I think that parallels real life: After a while you get your fill of misery and you it either envelops you or you say "I'm gonna try to be happy, even if it means lying to myself." That's exactly what DD is doing and we'll all be better off for it. I just hope sales are good.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

I tried to limit it to the good-great stuff. All anyone needs to know about the Kevin Smith arc is that Bullseye killed Karen Page and while I enjoy the Mack stuff in Volume 2 it really is more Echo focused than anything else.

I always wondered if Mack's Echo story was originally in development as a miniseries that got published in Daredevil due to a combination of timing of Bendis wanting to take a break from that book and the recognition that a story about Echo published in Daredevil will sell better than a mini-series about Echo.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Sprecherscrow posted:

I always wondered if Mack's Echo story was originally in development as a miniseries that got published in Daredevil due to a combination of timing of Bendis wanting to take a break from that book and the recognition that a story about Echo published in Daredevil will sell better than a mini-series about Echo.

This is actually exactly what happened. The Echo story was originally going to be a mini with hopes of branching off in to an ongoing which never happened. In the mean time Maleev needed a break and Bendis didn't want to do Daredevil without Maleev so the Echo stuff just took place in DD. It's a shame really because the Echo arc gets a lot of unfair slack because it's in a Daredevil book and doesn't really feature him outside guest appearances.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

This is actually exactly what happened. The Echo story was originally going to be a mini with hopes of branching off in to an ongoing which never happened. In the mean time Maleev needed a break and Bendis didn't want to do Daredevil without Maleev so the Echo stuff just took place in DD. It's a shame really because the Echo arc gets a lot of unfair slack because it's in a Daredevil book and doesn't really feature him outside guest appearances.

I'm a little surprised to hear that the break was necessitated due to Maleev because The Trial of the Century two parter had a fill-in artist (forget who). I guess two issues of no Maleev is a different beast then 6 issues of no Maleev. But yeah Echo was a really neat experimental piece that would be really off-putting if you were expecting the next part of Bendis' story.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Sprecherscrow posted:

I'm a little surprised to hear that the break was necessitated due to Maleev because The Trial of the Century two parter had a fill-in artist (forget who). I guess two issues of no Maleev is a different beast then 6 issues of no Maleev. But yeah Echo was a really neat experimental piece that would be really off-putting if you were expecting the next part of Bendis' story.

I want to say that it was an episode of Wordballon when Bendis was discussing what he did and didn't like about his Daredevil run that he addressed the whole Trial of the Century art change. Maleev was either sick/couldn't work due to personal issues so they had to bring in Manuel Gutierrez as a replacement to do that arc but for reasons I don't think Bendis disclosed the arrangement wasn't working out so Terry Dodson was brought in at the very last minute to do the final issue of the arc. Bendis said the entire thing was a mess and while he appreciates Dodsons help it's the one part of his run he dislikes because the art just doesn't end up fitting in with the rest of the run.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I actually really liked the first Echo story, the second was interesting in Mack's way but redundant as gently caress in terms of story telling.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

New Daredevil came out this week and it was pretty great so everyone should read it! On top of it having an interesting story and Waid adding on heavily of how Matt and the kid he's protecting are actually blind it had Marcos Martin doing cool poo poo with sound effects, like this:

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
It has also taught us about.....MEGACRIME!

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
I swear, this and X-Force are like, the only two comics I feel absolutely forced to buy these days. So goddamn good it hurts.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I picked up all four issues of Waid's Daredevil last month on a whim. I haven't been able to make it to the store this week yet, but I'm really looking forward to this issue.

I really like how it goes away from the normal Murdock doom and gloom that he's seemed to have slipped into in the past decade. The art is amazing. Everyone I've given it to has loved it. It's the only Marvel book that I'm picking up right now and it's so worth it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

The art is amazing but Marcos Martin is so wasted here it hurts. The guy can draw you the world and he is doing a standard crime story.

rgaitan
May 12, 2005

I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick.

^burtle posted:

The art is amazing but Marcos Martin is so wasted here it hurts. The guy can draw you the world and he is doing a standard crime story.

I'm afraid I have to disagree (about the standard part- Martin is a beast.)

This book is not at all like Miller or Bendis or Brubaker or Nocenti- it's very much in the spirit of the 60s book- hell, Murdock is smiling on the cover of #1!

And Marcos/ Paolo Rivera get to draw awesome poo poo like DD's senses and they get to have fun with how sounds works, like the previous poster showed- I'd really say it's far from standard crime fare.

I absolutely love the return to the MacKenzie "Man Without Fear" era where he's had a "villain-of-the-month" to deal with, but with the overarching story being Nelson and Murdock becoming a legal clinic. I'm a huge Mark Waid fan as well as DD, and when I heard he was doing it, I knew it was going to be pretty perfect.

I agree with Bitch Twinkles as well- this book is the only thing I really salivate for every month.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I'm in love with this book. I'm curious how Matt bottling up his past is going to play out. Foggy sees it and is obviously concerned. I love seeing the swash-buckling Daredevil that loves his work, but something is going to give eventually. I really hope Waid doesn't drag him back through the gutter though. That certainly doesn't seem to be the tone of the book, but Waid is building to something though, even if it's far down the line. I just hope that it's something therapeutic for Matt, and not a breakdown.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Small whine: could you fix the spelling of "Frank Miller" in the OP? (It's "Millar" in a couple of places.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I am a complete convert to the new Daredevil, I really stopped reading after Brubaker just cause it got so drat depressing. This new serious is just unbelievable. The art the story everything is amazing. I love how they do the new sounds the new radar, everything. Just unbelievable.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I've read Miller's run, Bendis' run and am currently working on Brubaker's.

I love all of the above. Anything else like it?

(And yes, I will give the new happy swashbuckling run a shot once it starts getting collected.)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Daredevil:Yellow is probably the most like the new series.

Guardian Devil by Kevin Smith is actually pretty good.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I remember Ann Nocenti having a good run as well. She created Typhoid Mary.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

^burtle posted:

I'd rather he be on a good, well-written book than some other drivel. Who cares what kind of story it is if the art fits? Both he and Rivera have done great art in this run so far. They're a huge component of what makes the book great.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Happy Hippo posted:

I've read Miller's run, Bendis' run and am currently working on Brubaker's.

I love all of the above. Anything else like it?

(And yes, I will give the new happy swashbuckling run a shot once it starts getting collected.)

Nocenti's run is good but nothing like the Miller/Bendis/Bru runs. As far as I'm aware It hasn't been collected. I'd suggest Wells Battlin' Jack Murdock from the OP and Daredevil: Redemption by Hine and Gaydos where Murdock tries to get some West-Memphis Three stand ins out of jail.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Waterhaul posted:

Nocenti's run is good but nothing like the Miller/Bendis/Bru runs. As far as I'm aware It hasn't been collected. I'd suggest Wells Battlin' Jack Murdock from the OP and Daredevil: Redemption by Hine and Gaydos where Murdock tries to get some West-Memphis Three stand ins out of jail.

There is a Typhoid Mary trade. Also the best way to describe Kevin Smiths Daredevil run is remember Born Again, Kraven's Last Hunt, and Miller's runs and how cool they are? Well here they are in one story.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I actually used to collect Daredevil during the Nocenti/JRJr years so I'm fairly well versed in that era, but thanks anyway.

I guess that I've avoided the Kevin Smith run because Kevin Smith but I've never read any of his comics work so that's pretty unfair now that I think about it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

I actually used to collect Daredevil during the Nocenti/JRJr years so I'm fairly well versed in that era, but thanks anyway.

I guess that I've avoided the Kevin Smith run because Kevin Smith but I've never read any of his comics work so that's pretty unfair now that I think about it.

Here is his latest comic work and no this is not Photoshopped

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Does anyone know if there are plans to reprint issue #3 of the new series? It's the only one I don't have and I'm pretty sure my LCS just got in reprints of issue #1 and #2.

Also: God drat every single cover for this series has been amazing.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I just read the Nocenti run and it was... something else. Daredevil went through the normal tropes every writer seems to put him through: he lost a girlfriend, he went insane for a little while, and he beat the crap out of Bullseye. Still, what was with the massive amounts of supporting cast that just came and went?

Brandy dies with her arc amounting to little. Brandy's dad (complete with rad mustache) is I guess left to go back to his pretty much evil underground genetics lab. Number Nine vanishes - yet she still has the head of Ultron. Matt and Typhoid make out in front of a blind kid who I guess wins a court case but Matt abandons trying to teach him to live without sight. A murderous criminal finds a baby during the Fall of the Mutants and raises it but I guess no one ever cries out about their missing baby and I guess it makes him turn over a new leaf? Bullet seems to have some sort of redemptive arc in him but never gets one, Darla, 8-Ball, and the rest of the DD Kids Street Team are just abandoned - ARGH.

Nothing ever finished!!!

Also, all the covers ruled back then, too.

Edit: Oh man, and the whole issue with the Human Torch showing up like he's a normal member of the supporting cast and then being a huge idiot. WHAA

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 6, 2011

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Here is his latest comic work and no this is not Photoshopped

While that is awful, it's not really fair in this instance. Guardian Devil is more akin to The Long Halloween (or 'insert other Jeph Loeb Batman story here'), in that it's like a really good band doing their greatest hits after the guitarist and drummer have died and been replaced by 20 year olds. It just doesn't hold up as well when you've seen the original line-up. Smith touches on nearly all of Daredevil's history and Quesada's art is pretty great.

One thing I am loving about this run is the way Waid's playing with Matt's womanising tendencies. Like Foggy having no luck getting the ADA to ask Matt out until he starts on the tortured past stuff and every reason why no woman should ever get involved with him, and boom, both she and Foggy's new squeeze are nearly drooling.

Though, as someone who drifted out partway through Brubaker's run, what's Milla's current status? Because if she's at all likely to recover, Matt dating that girl is pretty douchey.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

While that is awful, it's not really fair in this instance. Guardian Devil is more akin to The Long Halloween (or 'insert other Jeph Loeb Batman story here'), in that it's like a really good band doing their greatest hits after the guitarist and drummer have died and been replaced by 20 year olds. It just doesn't hold up as well when you've seen the original line-up. Smith touches on nearly all of Daredevil's history and Quesada's art is pretty great.

One thing I am loving about this run is the way Waid's playing with Matt's womanising tendencies. Like Foggy having no luck getting the ADA to ask Matt out until he starts on the tortured past stuff and every reason why no woman should ever get involved with him, and boom, both she and Foggy's new squeeze are nearly drooling.

Though, as someone who drifted out partway through Brubaker's run, what's Milla's current status? Because if she's at all likely to recover, Matt dating that girl is pretty douchey.

She is in an insane asylum and incurable. Ya but its also how Kevin Smith brings attention to the fact that he is ripping off other people, like having Mystero going I am going to be just like Kraven.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

She is in an insane asylum and incurable. Ya but its also how Kevin Smith brings attention to the fact that he is ripping off other people, like having Mystero going I am going to be just like Kraven.

During Diggle's arc, Lady Bullseye was her parents' lawyer and she blackmailed Matt into signing a divorce and granting her (Mila's not Bullseye's) parents custody of their daughter/his wife.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

During Diggle's arc, Lady Bullseye was her parents' lawyer and she blackmailed Matt into signing a divorce and granting her (Mila's not Bullseye's) parents custody of their daughter/his wife.

Blatant clearing the board, but honestly, the catatonia thing did feel like a bit of needless knife-twisting, even for gritty noir-Daredevil. If you want to kill her off, just do it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm not really seeing what you guys are loving about the art in the new issues. I don't think it fits Daredevil at all.

I agree that towards the end of the Brubaker run, poo poo got a bit ridiculous with the "let's really gently caress up Matt's life" themes. It not only got depressing, but downright redundant and monotonous. I stopped reading right after Matt took over leadership of The Hand because come the gently caress on, but the entire Bendis run and most of Brubaker's were some of the best comics I ever read. I think they're better than Miller's run and that's saying a lot for me.

Can anyone post examples from the new art that they think are exceptionally good? Maybe I'm missing something.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not really seeing what you guys are loving about the art in the new issues. I don't think it fits Daredevil at all.

I think the look fits the book perfectly: Very clean, bold panels that are pretty much dominated by one or two colors. Even if you don't think the generally brighter color scheme fits the character as he's been written the past few decades, I think it works really well with the direction Waid's taking everything.

Also, this issue was probably my favorite of the run so far. Both the way he beat Bruiser and the way he escaped were just plain classic Daredevil.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

BiggerBoat posted:

I agree that towards the end of the Brubaker run, poo poo got a bit ridiculous with the "let's really gently caress up Matt's life" themes. It not only got depressing, but downright redundant and monotonous. I stopped reading right after Matt took over leadership of The Hand because come the gently caress on, but the entire Bendis run and most of Brubaker's were some of the best comics I ever read. I think they're better than Miller's run and that's saying a lot for me.

Can anyone post examples from the new art that they think are exceptionally good? Maybe I'm missing something.

I think it's your perception of Daredevil that's coloring things. I'm sure a lot of people can't get over the contrast from the more recent runs on the character.

Daredevil is much more versatile a character than he's given credit for. Stan Lee originally had him as almost an adult Spider-Man.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Really glad that Martin is onto something else now. He is a fantastic artist but he really needs to be written for and have stories that let him do more with the pages. The story was okay but was very generic. Look at all the fun poo poo Rivera got to draw, come up with and indulge in and then look through this arc.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Monthly reminder that you should be reading this book if you aren't. Also Rivera should stay on the book for as long as physically possible.

It'll be interesting to see if the book can keep up the quality and tone now that it's leading in to crossover territory. Not to mention the final page of this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I liked how the party scene was portrayed as a hallucination.

Isn't that assistant DA lawyer dating Foggy? I know Matt Murdock is a womanizer, but I don't think he's ever tried to make a move on any of Foggy's girlfriends.

• Locked thread