Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

ilifinicus posted:

if you just do your complete challenge log weekly until the expansion without spending money you will be rich

i will also go insane, potentially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Minrad posted:

i will also go insane, potentially
that's what spiritbonding will do to you

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
What's the general, overall housing space situation these days? I'm thinking of returning to the game but it really depends on this. I'm willing to transfer to low pop servers. Even if everything is generally full, is there enough turnover of plots to give someone determined enough a shot at one?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think the dungeon grind is the part that's turning me off the most; low level dungeons are kind of snoozefests compared to the cool level 50 stuff, and there are some dungeons I just plain never want to see again, or at least never run with pubbies (lookin' at you, Aurum Vale).

Only two of the atma dungeons are <50. Although one of those IS AV (the other is DD).

All the others are level 50 dungeons

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

jerkstore77 posted:

What's the general, overall housing space situation these days?

Depends on where you are, but on a bigger server the situation is hosed and in dire need of new space that must come in the expansion.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jose Valasquez posted:

Only two of the atma dungeons are <50. Although one of those IS AV (the other is DD).

To be fair, Aurum Vale with pubs is the worst.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

That's good then; I thought I'd seen people asking to do low level dungeons for relic stuff, but it must have been something else.

Still, DD and AV are the two that I want to do the least so even that's making me re-think it.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Begemot posted:

To be fair, Aurum Vale with pubs is the worst.

Just do what I did and run it once with goons and get the drop

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's good then; I thought I'd seen people asking to do low level dungeons for relic stuff, but it must have been something else.

Still, DD and AV are the two that I want to do the least so even that's making me re-think it.

Books make you run some low level dungeons, but you only have to do them once instead of over and over

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Books make you run some low level dungeons, but you only have to do them once instead of over and over

You only have to do them once if you remember to put on your relic, don't get locked out, and are alive at the end of the fight.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

Except for when the books repeat them.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

kafziel posted:

Except for when the books repeat them.

Like 3 times at most, and depending on how you pick your books not even back to back.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Bauxite posted:

I feel like requiring 40 people is a thing that should never happen, but having a raid that's "up to 40 people" could be fun for a big guild that doesn't want to turn people away. It's why wow's flex technology is so great and hopefully the new thing for mmo raiding. Have it be a giant clusterfuck where you're on a respawn timer and people die a lot and make it a fun shitshow instead of serious time raiding.

Reminder that a goon in the AA thread owned Nekrage.com or whatever for a year and had it redirect to meatspin. Nekrage trademarked his own name and demanded ownership of the website a month after the goon quit paying for it, then put up some of that goon's personal information on the website once he got it.

Basically the guy is worth his weight in solid gold comedy.

Can confirm he doxxed me on his guilds website after I canceled the domain he threatened legal action to take against me for owning it. Guess he didn't like having his character name forwarded to meatspin for a year. :shrug:

I'm sure the person doing the video work in first person mode on nihilums world first kt kill was giving it his all.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Grondoth posted:

Depends on where you are, but on a bigger server the situation is hosed and in dire need of new space that must come in the expansion.

There are only 1440 plots (or something near that) so it's probably hosed everywhere. Small plots should be massively more available, to the degree that they only cost a few million or something.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

TooManyUzukis posted:

I

have

a serious

problem.

SCH or BRD next. Haven't decided

They need to have an achievement for when you get all 10 zetas. It just says "What the gently caress are you doing with your life." and then your character is auto-permabanned and the game deletes itself from your hard drive.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

nuru posted:

There are only 1440 plots (or something near that) so it's probably hosed everywhere. Small plots should be massively more available, to the degree that they only cost a few million or something.

I don't even want to consider what happens when they open up housing in Ishgard. Hopefully it's less of a clusterfuck. Didn't GW2 have a sane implementation of housing? I quit playing after they banned a bunch of people for "exploiting" crafting at launch, so my memory is fuzzy.

...we're not going to have to buy new housing in Ishgard to get our airship stuff, are we!?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't even want to consider what happens when they open up housing in Ishgard. Hopefully it's less of a clusterfuck. Didn't GW2 have a sane implementation of housing? I quit playing after they banned a bunch of people for "exploiting" crafting at launch, so my memory is fuzzy.

...we're not going to have to buy new housing in Ishgard to get our airship stuff, are we!?

They haven't got any plans for housing in 3.0 at all, so no.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

They need to have an achievement for when you get all 10 zetas. It just says "What the gently caress are you doing with your life." and then your character is auto-permabanned and the game deletes itself from your hard drive.

I think they need to do something different. My uncle once got a crystal trophy from US Airways for being one of the top ten flyers in the world one year. It was a beautiful/shameful reminder that he spent something like 5 cumulative months of his life one year sitting in a plane. They should send you an exquisite statue of Godbert with a disapproving look on his face.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Minrad posted:

Any good ways to earn money before expansion end, or is it the same old of "spiritbond poo poo" with turn 4 replacing northern thanalan?

My tried and true method has always been selling poo poo my retainers find. I'm not obscenely rich, but I can buy more or less anything I want if I get the urge to buy it. Fat cats and floss silk are my favorite things to see and I run my retainers ragged to get more.

Ixal quests to get sealant and sell it daily is still a decent, steady income, but not nearly as good as it was a few months ago. Gathering things like volcanic rock salt, darksteel ore, crawler cocoons, and elemental clusters can be too if you are diligent about it and the market on your server isn't totally flooded at the time.

If you have access to a garden you could always grow some glazenuts or thav onions, though don't expect the payout to come quickly. Only so much time left before the expansion to grow crops as well.

And dumb as it sounds, flipping stuff sold by NPC vendors at 10x to 100x your cost on the MB still works if you find the right thing to flip.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Iron Tusk posted:

I think they need to do something different. My uncle once got a crystal trophy from US Airways for being one of the top ten flyers in the world one year. It was a beautiful/shameful reminder that he spent something like 5 cumulative months of his life one year sitting in a plane. They should send you an exquisite statue of Godbert with a disapproving look on his face.

The problem is, if that happened I would then have to commit myself to getting all zetas.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

that's what spiritbonding will do to you

At least the lion will color coordinate with a strait jacket :mrgw:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also keep your eyes on items that can be purchased with excess seals/tomes and putting up reasonable stack sizes. I made a killing last week on coke because I caught it at around 6k per. I threw them up in stacks of 9 and they sold almost instantly. Last I checked the prices had dropped again but stuff like that is worth keeping your eyes on.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jerkstore77 posted:

What's the general, overall housing space situation these days? I'm thinking of returning to the game but it really depends on this. I'm willing to transfer to low pop servers. Even if everything is generally full, is there enough turnover of plots to give someone determined enough a shot at one?

Depends on server. I made a character on a random euro server and it even has small houses available. Plenty, too.

I think Excalibur has a grand total of one large though. Or maybe that sold recently, too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Splitting big stacks of cheap into smaller stacks of expensive, crafting items that everyone needs/wants regardless of level, or just watching the normal fluctuations of the market. (Yes, the markets fluctuate. Especially mid-to-high-end materia, sometimes around 2,000 gil over the course of a week.)

(Yes, Altruzine. I know. You think I have too much gil.)

Honestly though, my first six million were made by selling HQ brass rings, 20 or so a day, at 5,000 gil apiece. The beauty of it was that all the mats were buyable from the Goonhaus vendor, and a macro took care of HQing them 100% of the time. It's not sexy 4* crafting, still isn't, but the markets are there, you just have to look. (GSM leve turn-in, desynth, and levelling items. You could tell which was which by how many sold at once.) That market's tapped now, I only sell in there for some teleport money, but still. Do some looking.

(I have not yet begun to make money. I'm waiting for my AH plugins, once Yoshi-P gives us the freaking mod API we've been promised.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 22, 2015

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Splitting big stacks of cheap into smaller stacks of expensive, crafting items that everyone needs/wants regardless of level, or just watching the normal fluctuations of the market. (Yes, the markets fluctuate. Especially mid-to-high-end materia, sometimes around 2,000 gil over the course of a week.)

I've noticed that checking the ixal delivery daily for things that are only in stacks of 99 are a good way to make some money off people being lazy doing their daily.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Minrad posted:

I've noticed that checking the ixal delivery daily for things that are only in stacks of 99 are a good way to make some money off people being lazy doing their daily.

Yes, and sometimes, but this is incredibly rarely, you can hoover up a bajillion stacks of one, and repost as one big stack. Nobody likes having to go through and buy a hundred 1-stacks of ore, when they could just buy one stack of 99, for example.

Oh, and vendor-sold items. Do you know, most people aren't aware that you can buy the raw gems used in level 18 accessories? Even if they do know, I guarantee you, they'll still forget from time to time. I did, levelling up my ROG on the way to 50ing everything. Went and bought some Amethysts, only to realize after the fact that I'd done a stupid. Can make some money that way, too.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 22, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

all my gear broke in the middle of a wod, luckily no one noticed

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Thumbtacks posted:

all my gear broke in the middle of a wod, luckily no one noticed

You owe Gokai an apology.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

TooManyUzukis posted:

I

have

a serious

problem.

SCH or BRD next. Haven't decided

HOW?! I'm struggling to even finish one. Are you like using a hobo build for the materia section for each weapon?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
fenra IS a hobo

HelloPlatypus
Apr 2, 2010

GIRL
SHE'S A GIRL
OBVIOUSLY JUST LOOK AT HER

Doublestep posted:

fenra IS a hobo

My Hobo-potato.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

HelloPlatypus posted:

My Hobo-potato.

Your well-lubed hobo-potato.

You two are literally the kings of ERP on Excalibur.

[Edit] Zen you should post your Doctor Quinn erotic fan-fiction.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

You two are literally the kings of ERP on Excalibur.

No, that's the two naked catgirls who are always on the second floor of Hermit's Hovel.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
I bought a robe and instead of thinking "oh nice, good DPS increase", I'm instead thinking "oh god this teal sash clashes with the red brim of my hat, I just wasted 100k".

What did you do to me, Square?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Spent the afternoon pony farming. Anecdotally I'd say the drop rate now feels like about 1/3, give or take. Quite reasonable overall, especially if you can get a static to do it.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Pubs never change.

HelloPlatypus
Apr 2, 2010

GIRL
SHE'S A GIRL
OBVIOUSLY JUST LOOK AT HER

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Pubs never change.

Dear god, it's beautiful.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Pubs never change.

loving worthless healers

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You owe Gokai an apology.

He wasn't the only healer :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Televisio Frankus posted:

I bought a robe and instead of thinking "oh nice, good DPS increase", I'm instead thinking "oh god this teal sash clashes with the red brim of my hat, I just wasted 100k".

What did you do to me, Square?

This is the correct way to play the game.

• Locked thread