Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Got to the Machina village and got the hit job to go kill Egil. Colony 6 is all level 3 and outside the Machina village my reputation is 4* everywhere and I have Monado Eater, and Shulk, Sharla, Reyn, Riki and Melia's 4th skill tree unlocked. I heard stuff starts becoming super missable around this point and not entirely sure what I should be doing as I don't want to miss out on cool things.

The only place that that really has missable things are in Alcamoth, because after you finally get to Egil the timed quests in Alcamoth will disappear for reasons. Apart from that, it sounds like you have basically every important/cool thing unless you're trying to 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ardryn posted:

The only place that that really has missable things are in Alcamoth, because after you finally get to Egil the timed quests in Alcamoth will disappear for reasons. Apart from that, it sounds like you have basically every important/cool thing unless you're trying to 100%.

Nah, I already screwed myself out of 100% if that's what I was going for. I did the first handful of refugee quests way back at the start of the game and didn't bother checking to see if any more opened up at the time so whOOPS. I just know some quests give arts and skill trees and stuff so wanted to make sure I could do that, though now my teams level 60 across the board so I'm pretty sure I'm super overleveled now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Eh, only a little.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Nah, level 60's high end for the next area, midrange for the one after that, and pretty low for the one after that. You'll want to be in the high 60s when you actually bump into Egil.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I hope this game doesn't slip too far back down the anime slope. The previews of gameplay look so busy, I can't easily tell what's going on on screen. The music is busy too, its really just all over the place and sounds like crap. It's hard to gently caress up giant robots though, and I hope the characters are just as strong as the last game

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't have a problem with the battles looking busy, they did in Xenoblade too when you were new but once the systems clicked it worked fine.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i really like a lot of the stuff they're saying about the gameplay, it looks super interesting and giant robots rule. the story stuff we've seen so far seems like good old giant robots versus aliens stuff, which sounds dope in my book. only thing i'm worried about is whether they built the game world to be huge but shallow, where after you get sick of tooling around in a giant dune buggy and loving up monsters there isn't much to do. guess we'll find out in a week or so

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Average Bear posted:

I hope this game doesn't slip too far back down the anime slope. The previews of gameplay look so busy, I can't easily tell what's going on on screen. The music is busy too, its really just all over the place and sounds like crap. It's hard to gently caress up giant robots though, and I hope the characters are just as strong as the last game

dude xenoblade literally started with a giant robot murdering your gf and ended with you killing god it's anime as gently caress

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Fungah! posted:

dude xenoblade literally started with a giant robot murdering your gf and ended with you killing god it's anime as gently caress

I know and its rad, but it took out bad anime things like horrible characters, dated gameplay and not constantly pandering to the worst of japanese nerds. Now if only they'd see the light and stop he boob armor

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

anime is blood

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I hope the story has some good momentum and an interesting cast. All the rep grinding and mats farming MMO stuff they've previewed so far looks insanely tedious so there better be a good long plot full of anime melodrama and crazy revelations to balance it all out

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boBSQXVo5lU

Speak of the devil, they just uploaded a story trailer, and it does look like there will be anime melodrama and crazy revelations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It comes out in some 10 days, right? Gonna be real hard to remain unspoiled until it comes out here :smith:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thank god they can actually show close-ups of peoples faces and not have them be blurred out messes.

Other than that, I get the distinct impression I don't want to see that translated. Japanese trailers are pretty notorious for spoiling twists you don't want spoiled. (see: pretty much every movie trailer they release)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It was pretty obvious there was gonna be anime melodrama after they released that guest artwork with the elf chick.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Thank god they can actually show close-ups of peoples faces and not have them be blurred out messes.

Other than that, I get the distinct impression I don't want to see that translated. Japanese trailers are pretty notorious for spoiling twists you don't want spoiled. (see: pretty much every movie trailer they release)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Xc6in86rs
Looking back, the original Xenoblade trailer spoiled A TON of things. Like Zanza, Mayneth, Egil and the Machina, etcetera
I mean the first piece of music they play is the last boss's.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Calaveron posted:

It comes out in some 10 days, right? Gonna be real hard to remain unspoiled until it comes out here :smith:

JP release date is the 29th, so eight days from now. Plus people here and there might get copies a day or two early like they do over here.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Calaveron posted:

Looking back, the original Xenoblade trailer spoiled A TON of things. Like Zanza, Mayneth, Egil and the Machina, etcetera

Without context, those are just random images. Like, even if you know all the story details, that shot of Mayneth won't make sense until the exact moment it happens. Japanese trailers, on the other hand, like to provide context. Though to be honest, I'm mostly thinking of movie trailers right now, so I might be worrying over nothing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Calaveron posted:

1:33 and Seven is shown in the party on the gem thingy menu. :stare:

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

1:33 and Seven is shown in the party on the gem thingy menu. :stare:

Well there's also the fact that Seven was in the short live action tv ad.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Calaveron posted:

This is a lovely trailer and would not have sold me on an excellent game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just a question but took the advice and got the Machina city Monado art, now I'm in the Field and friend told me I won't be able to come back here, are there any items I should farm? I got all the stuff I need for the village to hit level 4 in shopping and housing.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 22, 2015

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

I gotta say, I think I'm coming around on this character creator now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Default face seems to be where all the problems crop up.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Champeenship posted:

Speak of the devil, they just uploaded a story trailer, and it does look like there will be anime melodrama and crazy revelations.

I am ok with this.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

This game is gonna be so good.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

As long as I can make a good Waluigi, the character creator is good in my book.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Huh. I just saw Sharla actually use Cool Off during a fight. And now that I think about it, I don't think I've heard her say the "that's scorching hot!" line she does when her rifle overheats. On the Wii version I heard that all the time. Did they fix her dumb AI so that she isn't locking herself out of all her arts for half of every fight?

And if they fixed hers, did they fix Melia's?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is there an option to make blinking audible?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Champeenship posted:

gently caress yeah

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just a question but took the advice and got the Machina city Monado art, now I'm in the Field and friend told me I won't be able to come back here, are there any items I should farm? I got all the stuff I need for the village to hit level 4 in shopping and housing.

With as minimal spoilers as possible, here are the cutoffs to be aware of. No tags for the ones you're already past.

- You cannot re-enter the lower half of the Ether Mines once you've completed the plot stuff there. (You can't miss any of the locations/landmarks in that section, and there's no unique collectibles or whatever down there either, so don't sweat this.)

- You cannot do most refugee camp quests once you complete either of the quests to move them to Colony 6. (There's an earlier-game one and a later-game one. Depends on if Otharon has gone off elsewhere for plot yet. They're both basically the same thing though.)

- You cannot re-enter Sword Valley or Galahad Fortress once you've seen the cutscenes at the end of Mechonis Field.

- You cannot re-enter Mechonis Field once you've finished the events in Agniratha. Furthermore, you can no longer use fast travel to get around in Central Factory and Agniratha, although you can still hoof it around everywhere.

- You cannot re-enter Central Factory, Agniratha, and Mechonis Core once you've finished the events in Mechonis Core. Furthermore, this is the cutoff for most other timed quests in the game.

And here are the collectibles you want to get for Colony 6, before you lock yourself out of places. I'm pretty sure there are alternative locations (of varying reliability/convenience) for each of these, but it's safer to just collect them as collectibles. Add 1 to the numbers for collectopaedia purposes.

Sword Valley:
- 2 Red Frontier

Galahad Fortress:
- 2 Art Core Coil

Mechonis Field:
- 2 Retro Diode
- 2 Mossy Panel
- 2 Azure Hollyhock

Central Factory:
- 2 Black Styrene
- 2 Angel Engine

Agniratha:
- 1 Fortune Feather
- 2 Lewisia Silver
- 3 Blue Light Amp

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I believe some of those collectibles unlock either as blue orbs you can collect around Colony 6 once you expand it, or as something you can trade for when your affinity reaches a certain level (4 stars, 5 stars?) for people in Colony 6.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Oh definitely, you can trade for many of them and I think you can get the rest from Colony 6 Special collectibles after the Big Plot Cutoff Point. The former may require affinity grinding and the latter is widely inconsistent though (it depends on time of day, there are the usual collectible odds, and there are only 2 spawns to work with), so it's way less headache to just pick the things up as you go through the original areas.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For me the wait after the Japan release is only going to really hurt if Nintendo is quiet about the English release details after this month. I hope they quickly ramp up English details and work fast to get the game out over here.

Will feel better once I see that first English trailer.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The English trailer is taking so long because the British dubbing is being worked on now

Is what I hope Nintendo tells us.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I said come in! posted:

For me the wait after the Japan release is only going to really hurt if Nintendo is quiet about the English release details after this month. I hope they quickly ramp up English details and work fast to get the game out over here.

Will feel better once I see that first English trailer.

game's still ETA 2015 in america afaik. at this point i'm just waiting for japanese goons to play their copies and let us know if it's any good before i'm at hype overdrive

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Louisgod posted:

The English trailer is taking so long because the British dubbing is being worked on now

Is what I hope Nintendo tells us.
"New Los Angeles just sounded posher than New Milton Keynes, innit"

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm about 11 hours into Xenoblade 3d, and I'm burning out on sidequests. If I just gun through the game going to story parts, and just doing the timed ones that pop up will I have any issues? I think I'm way overleveled for where I am now (just beat the boss below colony 6). Game is freggin awesome but there's so much, I kinda just want to see the story. From what was posted, its like ~60 hours if I just do the story stuff?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

queeb posted:

I'm about 11 hours into Xenoblade 3d, and I'm burning out on sidequests. If I just gun through the game going to story parts, and just doing the timed ones that pop up will I have any issues? I think I'm way overleveled for where I am now (just beat the boss below colony 6). Game is freggin awesome but there's so much, I kinda just want to see the story. From what was posted, its like ~60 hours if I just do the story stuff?

If all you want is the story stuff and don't give half a rats rear end about sidequests, then don't do them. Though still collect them, since a bunch will auto-reward you even out in the field it's worth grabbing them all even if you have no intention of going out of your way to do them. If all you want to do are timed ones, know that there's an area later in the game that gives out nothing but timed quests, which is another common place to burnout on since there's just so many sidequests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treads
Mar 1, 2003

queeb posted:

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=11401

I would strongly suggest only doing quests that look interesting to you. Even then(after doing everything in the first few areas before gunning for the story) I was ready for the game to be over like 5 large areas before the end. Beat the game a few years ago, but I think I clocked in around 60ish hours, and felt underleveled at the end.

With the size of each area, there are many more than I really expected. The story/gameplay is really good though if you are not burnt out. I would almost say taking a break for a few weeks is a good idea if its really starting to get to you.

• Locked thread