Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Siochain posted:

Hahah, so, yeah, happened to one of the other guys, but I think we're going for blood.
We hired a new sales rep a few months ago. He's an idiot, constantly does stupid things, etc. Its always seemed like general "dumbass" sales guy stuff. Until something that popped up yesterday.
As a small backstory, we're a SaaS CRM provider that also resells VoIP lines that integrate with our product. When clients order lines (which has to be done through sales), sales creates a ticket for us, we make the lines, send the customer the info, etc.
So a new client sends a CSV file of what area codes he wants phone numbers for to his rep - 30 lines, no biggie. Sales rep butchers a copy/paste job instead of just forwarding it to us, loses 3/4 of the area codes, etc. One of the other guys gets the ticket, looks at it, and gets the sales guy to confirm total number and which area codes. The sales rep then sends a spreadsheet he created for us to use - with specific instructions to make sure "every area code in the spreadsheet is acquired". Okay, 94 phone numbers now. We verify, he says "yep, everything in the file".

We create the lines. Send the info to the client. Here's fuckup #1 - the client doesn't notice anything amiss. Here's BIG fuckup #2 - clients bill comes in. Client flips out, calls us - we transfer to accounting, as we can't do squat about it. Accounting asks the sales rep, who says "I only asked for 30 lines, support obviously hosed up." Yep. Throws us under the bus. So we just went to the president and CEO with screenshots, email logs, tickets, etc. proving he's a goddamn liar. Nothing will happen, but, fuckit, no more favors for this dickhole.

Haha sales. I like the sales johnnies sell a mom n pop shop on high availability infrastructure. Oh you're gonna need high availability ASA 5525's and high availability Big-IP 2000's for your website. Dual octo-core 128GB ram web servers times 4. Yep yep.

Oh, they churned 6 months later. Huh. Doesn't matter though cause he sold his quota for the month on that one customer!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Something not pissing me off; village hopper airlines aren't on the main terminal, so I don't have to deal with the TSA, and can bring all of my tools on the flight.

Something that is pissing me off; I'm going to be MIA for two full days and poo poo is going to pile up.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Nothing makes me angrier than inconsistency from management.

A few weeks ago, I was told explicitly not to do a thing. That we have another team whose responsibility it is to handle that task, and that doing it for them would bruise some egos that are better left unbruised. So I kicked it off to them, got confirmation they were working on it, offered assistance if they needed it...and that was that.

So when the deadline hits (today), and they're not done, go bitch at the people who dropped the ball, because it sure isn't me. I didn't do it because you told me not to do it. I'll be damned if I take a chewing out for something I was ordered to do. Or not do, in this case.

This doesn't happen often, thankfully, but every time it does, I send out a handful of resumes. I usually get a few bites, although I've yet to get an offer attractive enough to jump ship. Maybe I will this time.

I hope you CYA every time somebody tells you to do or not do something.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I'm the one pissing myself off:

When using robocopy to copy data, for the love of all that is good and righteous, remember to use /E. Double double remember to spot check your destination for everything before you purge the source.

This and my cryptolocker gently caress up last month makes me wonder just where the hell my attention is.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ratbert90 posted:

I hope you CYA every time somebody tells you to do or not do something.

I have a CYA email folder, yes.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Agrikk posted:

When using robocopy to copy data, for the love of all that is good and righteous, remember to use /E. Double double remember to spot check your destination for everything before you purge the source.

This and my cryptolocker gently caress up last month makes me wonder just where the hell my attention is.
Also, use /L before you're ready to put your robocopy script into production.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

If you use robocopy on a regular basis, create a batch script for it.

Do:

code:

robocoby %1 . {Whatever flags you want}
pause

Put .bat file in destination directory, drag and drop source folder on top of .bat file.

Profit.

Disclaimer: I wrote this from memory on my phone while waiting for a plane, so excuse any mistakes, but the concept is sound.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

I have a CYA email folder, yes.

Good man, so do I, you can never be too careful. :unsmith:

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

0KB update. After pushing back on them when they tried to just "point me in the right direction", this was the response.

quote:

I studied the logs, involved my Tech Lead for review and as per the ULS logs it seems that the problem is happening from backend i.e. on SQL server some resource deadlock happened due to which insert, update or delete operations will not complete.

Come onnnn full RCA! :parrot:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

So uh is no one going to comment on the fact that DAF just popped up after a year of toxxed inactivity and poo poo out two comments? Because I thought he was supposed to be banned if he posted again.

<thatsapaddlin.gif>

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
New avatar threw me... it was anime so I had a involuntary revulsion and did not notice the name

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Running our regular audits, we found a piece of software that allowed users to pass their credentials in cleartext.

We opened a request with the software vendor to encrypt the passwords over TLS.

Response:

"The server is supposed to be on your network, not on the Internet. Focus on keeping people out of your network before asking us to enable features we don't support."

How... what in the... :psyduck:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Potato Alley posted:

So uh is no one going to comment on the fact that DAF just popped up after a year of toxxed inactivity and poo poo out two comments? Because I thought he was supposed to be banned if he posted again.

<thatsapaddlin.gif>

I noticed and thought the same thing; unfortunately he said that in the "Working in IT" thread, not this one. :eng99:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Running our regular audits, we found a piece of software that allowed users to pass their credentials in cleartext.

Response:

"The server is supposed to be on your network, not on the Internet. Focus on keeping people out of your network before asking us to enable features we don't support."

Haha wow. I don't even understand why anyone would program something that sends passwords in cleartext. What sort of program is this?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Potato Alley posted:

Wrong thread for toxx, otherwise it's best to just not engage people like him.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Response:

I can't help but think

quote:

The server is supposed to be on your network, not on the Internet. Focus on keeping people out of your network before asking us to enable features we don't support.
:goonsay:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Lord Dudeguy posted:

They sure told you.

That attitude might warrant a name and shame. I'd like to make sure I'm not running that software.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Response:

Name and shame.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
poo poo that's not pissing me off: terrible AS400 greybeard coworker is retiring

:toot:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is this Cisco Jabber? A client is telling me Cisco Jabber doesn't support TLS. My organization won't use Lync Federation with Cisco Jabber without TLS enabled.

Pissing me off:

:v: We're prepared to migrate <environment ABCx-XYZ> this Friday!
:confused: Um, you were supposed to migrate <environment ABCy-XYZ> this Friday.
:v: Oh, that's one letter different.
:confused: Exactly. The environment name we just stated is what we communicated via email, and what you communicated via email, for the past two weeks.
:v: Oh well. Also, any changes you've made since <some time in the past> won't get migrated.
:confused: You never told us that.
:v: Oh, well, we're sorry!

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

My girlfriend's company just instituted a new policy. If there are technical problems preventing you from doing your job then you must use PTO and go home. Not unpaid. She's looking elsewhere but that is such a comically bad policy.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

ijustam posted:

My girlfriend's company just instituted a new policy. If there are technical problems preventing you from doing your job then you must use PTO and go home. Not unpaid. She's looking elsewhere but that is such a comically bad policy.

That can't be legal.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

m.hache posted:

That can't be legal.
Yeah, that's way definitely illegal.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

That sounds like a great way to get to do business infrastructure upgrades mid-day without having to worry about outages, I guess.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

poo poo that's not pissing me off: terrible AS400 greybeard coworker is retiring

:toot:

Was this the one with the mystery DHCP server, or am I thinking of someone else AS/400 greybeard?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

flosofl posted:

Was this the one with the mystery DHCP server, or am I thinking of someone else AS/400 greybeard?

That was Bob Morales I think. Mine miiiight be able to tell you what DHCP is if his life depended on it, but no guarantees.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lol why on earth would anyone consider reading the vendors requirements documents before guessing at a hardware and software spec and then building a quotation of this guesswork? A particular virtual appliance is only supported on vSphere, which is only supported on hardware from the HCL. Which means no you can't run it on a desktop PC.

The knock-on effect of all this is that pulling facts out of the air has resulted in the customer not even having a space big enough for anything on the VMware HCL.

My plan is to sit back and :munch:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
There's 3 or 4 items just on this page alone that I can't believe happen, but I've experienced variations of them so I know they did.

PTO. Cleartext passwords. Undersized environments.

God I love this thread because it's nothing but laughs for me - never at the person because every single post is a laugh of "oh my god, me too man, me too"

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

anthonypants posted:

Yeah, that's way definitely illegal.

No, that's almost certainly legal if she's in the US. There are no laws governing PTO in most states (and the few that exist mostly deal with paying out PTO on termination), so companies are free to enact whatever PTO policies they want. Now if she runs out of PTO and they dock her pay for missing a partial day's work when she is salaried and exempt, that would be illegal.

While not illegal, though, it's still a ridiculous and terrible policy, and definitely a sign that she needs to :yotj: the hell out of there as soon as possible.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Why isn't my birthday a company holiday? *shuts down production systems* Now it is! :haw:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Just a friendly reminder to all you crazy kids...

RAID is not a backup.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Pretty sure that's still the subtitle of the Backup Megathread.

e: poo poo that makes me go "wait, what the gently caress?!": Disabling the PPAPI Flash Player allows Chrome to emit 5.1 surround sound from HTML5 sources magically.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Can anyone link me to the post where the company didn't use/trust DHCP for their 4000 hosts?
I need to relive it.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Swink posted:

Can anyone link me to the post where the company didn't use/trust DHCP for their 4000 hosts?
I need to relive it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571852&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=371#post443870548

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Swink posted:

I need to relive it.

This reminds me of a client I encountered a couple of months ago.

They are managed by adp, their entire private network is done in public ip space. None of the 50 or so hosts are directly connected to the internet. They are all behind nat. They don't actually own the class c that they use. When asked about it, they adp tech I was talking to basically said, " yup, that's weird, but it's been like that for 20 years, and wrere not going to change it."

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Oh yeah, that's the stuff. Fuckin' LOL.

Thanks, that'll get me through the day.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Fool posted:

They are managed by adp, their entire private network is done in public ip space. None of the 50 or so hosts are directly connected to the internet. They are all behind nat. They don't actually own the class c that they use. When asked about it, they adp tech I was talking to basically said, " yup, that's weird, but it's been like that for 20 years, and wrere not going to change it."

Ha. This is how my place was when I got there. Old DMZ was using public IPs we no longer owned....didn't take much work to fix.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

Just was with a customer today that does this.
Me: Uh, you know that 192.0.1.xxx is publicly routable, right? And you don't own the space?
Customer: Yeah, it was like that when it got here. Too much work to fix though.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ijustam posted:

Man, that would make desktop guys like me feel bad :(

Though my shop is fortunate enough to have tons of gear around for spares. I'm Red Bull Racing tier when it comes to swapping parts. As for the software problems... those can take a while to hash out.

What happens when someone fixes it like 10 minutes after that person leaves? Did they start doing that to prevent people from sabotaging equipment to malinger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Can I please buy a loving sign that reads:

"Just because I 'Work in IT' does not mean that I:
  • am an audio-visual technician;
  • am an electrician;
  • magically know that you don't know how to loving scroll on a touchscreen;
  • know how to use Facebook;
  • know how to use whatever other lovely website you're using.
Because I work in IT, I will be pissed when:
  • you bitch to me that Microsoft Windows requires a password, and that two common English words is "too hard";
  • you ask me to set something up, and then loving complain when you don't know how to use it (because you don't know how to loving scroll on a touchscreen)."
FFS Wednesdays are supposed to be better than Mondays.