Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's always fascinating to watch LSV playing an aggressive limited deck because you get the same level of four-layers-deep thinking that you get with his vintage videos, but in an environment where the decisions are much more nuanced and less binary than "should I Force or not?" or "do I cast Gush or Dig through Time here?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Insane splashes aside the GB-buttfight theme of the deck seemed pretty good, and pretty much entirely made up of stuff you can easily wheel.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
This is what I love and hate about MTG rules:

(from http://www.blackborder.com/q/node/18966)

Rules: Sidisi and Illusory Gains

I cast Sidisi, which has the exploit ability and a second ability that provides a “tutor effect” when the exploit ability is used.

My opponent controls Illusory Gains, which is an Aura that allows him to take control of the last creature that entered the battlefield under my control.

As soon as my Sidisi enters the battlefield, two abilities trigger: the exploit ability of Sidisi and the ability of Illusory Gains.

As it’s my turn, my opponent’s ability will resolve first, and he will gain control of my Sidisi before I sacrifice a creature for exploit.

Then, when the exploit ability resolves, I choose to sacrifice a second creature.

Does Sidisi’s second ability trigger? If yes, who gets the “tutor effect”?

Sidisi’s second ability says “When Sidisi, Undead Vizier exploits a creature, you may search your library for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library”. This ability doesn’t check if Sidisi’s controller sacrificed a creature; it checks if a creature was sacrificed for the exploit ability.

Even if Sidisi changed controllers, she will know that the exploit ability was used, and the second ability will trigger.

When it resolves, its effect will be applied to the person controlling her at the moment of the resolution: my opponent will get to tutor a card from his deck!

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Yeah I think some player at PT was caught by that bit of rule shenanigans. Dropped an exploit creature, had it switch to opponent's side, exploited one of his creatures, and about then was the time his opp called the judge in.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

En Fuego posted:

Rules: Sidisi and Illusory Gains

I cast Sidisi, which has the exploit ability and a second ability that provides a “tutor effect” when the exploit ability is used.

My opponent controls Illusory Gains, which is an Aura that allows him to take control of the last creature that entered the battlefield under my control.

As soon as my Sidisi enters the battlefield, two abilities trigger: the exploit ability of Sidisi and the ability of Illusory Gains.

As it’s my turn, my opponent’s ability will resolve first, and he will gain control of my Sidisi before I sacrifice a creature for exploit.

Then, when the exploit ability resolves, I choose to sacrifice a second creature.

Does Sidisi’s second ability trigger? If yes, who gets the “tutor effect”?

Sidisi’s second ability says “When Sidisi, Undead Vizier exploits a creature, you may search your library for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library”. This ability doesn’t check if Sidisi’s controller sacrificed a creature; it checks if a creature was sacrificed for the exploit ability.

Even if Sidisi changed controllers, she will know that the exploit ability was used, and the second ability will trigger.

When it resolves, its effect will be applied to the person controlling her at the moment of the resolution: my opponent will get to tutor a card from his deck!

I love them because the fact that this happens is deducible. You do not have to see it happen to figure out that, yes, it works like this.

I hate them because no one I know believes it works like this.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Lunsku posted:

Yeah I think some player at PT was caught by that bit of rule shenanigans. Dropped an exploit creature, had it switch to opponent's side, exploited one of his creatures, and about then was the time his opp called the judge in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkxPL8-V_no&t=875s

It was even more complicated because the sacrificed creature was a Sultai Emissary

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Gensuki posted:

I love them because the fact that this happens is deducible. You do not have to see it happen to figure out that, yes, it works like this.

I hate them because no one I know believes it works like this.

Completely agree. Of course, I am also the shithead who will use Possibility Storm/Teferi to hose everyone at the table.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

En Fuego posted:

^__^

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
smh if you didn't realize all that by prerelease time just smh

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

The online commentary:

I read some comments saying that the cameras should have been cut off and that this situation gave a bad image of the game.

Actually, I believe it’s the opposite.

I am happy that the audience at home was able to see the entire situation, as I am a huge fan of transparency and of diffusion of information.

All spectators could see that infractions exist (we are human and we make mistakes), that there are penalties associated to infractions (learning the connection between causes and effects is very useful in life), that there is good communication between players and judges (I believe that we are at a moment in time where the players have great trust in the judges and our relationship is excellent), that judges are professional and their decisions are based on huge experience and deep thoughts (much more than I will ever be able to explain to you in these articles), that in the interest of fairness, all players are treated equally, that there is an appeal process and, important to me, there is nothing to keep hidden.

Something about sausages and how they're made I guess.

To Ricardo's defense it is a good thing that players are made aware of how important judging is but like it's still bad for spectatorship.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
A lot of how Exploit worked was initially confusing to players because of the fact that Exploit is a keyword and every creature with Exploit has 2 distinct triggered abilities so everyone was treating it as a single ability word trigger.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

Something about sausages and how they're made I guess.

To Ricardo's defense it is a good thing that players are made aware of how important judging is but like it's still bad for spectatorship.

Not to mention the commentary team's uh, commentary. Yes, I'm sure that Patrick Chapin was trying to "wriggle his way out", just like in the nineties, with all the tricks he learned in the joint back then.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

re the coverage I think that the main problem people had was the things that the guys in the booth were saying about Chapin while it was going on. It would have been fairly uncomfortable to watch regardless but them talking about how he started playing back when it was easy to cheat and how he was trying to weasel his way our of the ruling was really unnecessary

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'm looking toward this Abzan aggro deck: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9504&d=254546

I'm trying to figure out when to sideboard what against what. Would you sideboard in thoughtseize against control decks? Rocs against green bigass creature decks? I'm not really sure about sideboarding in general. This piece of information seemed great: sideboard in all 15 and then take out 15 that didn't seem helpful for the first game, or in general.

What would you guys suggest with sideboarding and this deck in particular? Or types of cards to sideboard out or in in general in this standard atmosphere? Kind of a novice when it comes to sideboarding and when to do what.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

vandalism posted:

I'm looking toward this Abzan aggro deck: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9504&d=254546

I'm trying to figure out when to sideboard what against what. Would you sideboard in thoughtseize against control decks? Rocs against green bigass creature decks? I'm not really sure about sideboarding in general. This piece of information seemed great: sideboard in all 15 and then take out 15 that didn't seem helpful for the first game, or in general.

What would you guys suggest with sideboarding and this deck in particular? Or types of cards to sideboard out or in in general in this standard atmosphere? Kind of a novice when it comes to sideboarding and when to do what.

The only way to really learn how to sideboard well is to practice a lot with the deck and find out what are its good and bad matchups, as well as what the most popular decks seem to be at any given moment in the meta. It really requires you to have a general idea of the common decks being played at the moment so that you know which cards in your main are bad against those decks, and which in your sideboard are good.

I'm currently playing Abzan Aggro, so I'll try and give a general breakdown of Brad's sideboard:

Ultimate Price - R/G Decks, R/W, and Green Devotion decks. All their creatures are mono-colored so this kills everything.
Wingmate Roc - Any Abzan mirror, because they're weak to flyers and all their removal is one-for-one. Also any matchup where they play Elspeth or gaining life is important.
Elspeth - any Abzan mirror match or grindy midrange matchup. Also good against control decks that don't play Silumgar.
Glare of Heresy - Jeskai Ascendancy, Elspeth, U/W Heroic, and the mirror.
Drown in Sorrow - Mono-R aggro, Jeskai Tokens.
Thoughtseize - All Control decks, midrange matchups on the draw...this is more up to you depending on how attrition-based the matchup will be.
Sorin - Against any aggro deck, Control, where you think you might race...pretty flexible.

I think it's good advice to use a sideboard you find online as a template, but then change the cards according to what you expect from your local meta. The decks you see at your FNM are probably wildly different percentage-wise than what you would see at a Pro Tour, which is what Brad built that sideboard for. Also that sideboard was built well before anyone knew Esper Dragons would become a thing.

qbert fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 22, 2015

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Have a PPTQ for Milwaukee and GP Toronto coming up. Based on my collection I could potentially build Gruul Deck Wins, Bant Heroic or Jeskai Tokens. So far since I've started I've only run mono RDW and I've done fairly well, got top 4 at the two game days I attended. I'm wondering if I should try to switch decks or stick with what I know best.

Also if anyone was willing to give me a cribbed version of Tom Ross' Bant Heroic sideboard I'd be much obliged.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

RIP LSV in vintage league. 3 matches to 0 for efro, dropped two games. God drat was efro drawing hot tonight. LSV had pretty legit hands all three games in match 3 especailly. But T2 Jace for Efro game 1. And an opening hand of Voltaic Key+Demonic Tutor for time vault backed up by double force of will game 3. :homebrew:

Alaan fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 22, 2015

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Hope I can slide back in here to self-promote, because here's an interview I did with Sue Ann Harkey, Magic's art director from Alliances through Mirage block.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Alaan posted:

RIP LSV in vintage league. 3 matches to 0 for efro, dropped two games. God drat was efro drawing hot tonight. LSV had pretty legit hands all three games in match 3 especailly. But T2 Jace for Efro game 1. And an opening hand of Voltaic Key+Demonic Tutor for time vault backed up by double force of will game 3. :homebrew:

Those sure were games of Magic: the Gathering.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

kingcobweb posted:

Hope I can slide back in here to self-promote, because here's an interview I did with Sue Ann Harkey, Magic's art director from Alliances through Mirage block.

Thanks for this! I loved Mirage when I was in high school. It was the last block I played with before taking a long hiatus from Magic and to this day I still love the art from it.

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005
What's that site that shows you the top valued cards for a particular set in a nice way with pictures (left to right descending $ value)? I'm sorting through some cards and that would be nice to have.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Massdrop has all 5 2014 commander decks for $94.99 with $10 shipping so $105 shipped is that a bad deal? They also have the 2013 commander all 5 decks for $109.99 shipped or 99.99 if 20 people buy them are either of those worth it?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

kingcobweb posted:

You need to promote more. That was really really good.

Erdos posted:

What's that site that shows you the top valued cards for a particular set in a nice way with pictures (left to right descending $ value)? I'm sorting through some cards and that would be nice to have.

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

kingcobweb posted:

Please continue to self-promote. Your wring style and content is very agreeable to me and this is no exception.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

kingcobweb posted:

Shared this on the wall of my FLGS's Magic page. :dukedog:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

kingcobweb posted:

I'll never say no to self-promotion of that blog in particular. Keep up the good work. :)
One would think that re-reading your reviews would get old at some point, but it hasn't happened so far, for me at least. I'm not complaining.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
For some reason, I don't think I ever twigged that Ekundu Cyclops and the other, lesser dick arts were drawn by the same dude.

Great window into a bygone golden era. That woman deserves a lion's share of my gratitude for making Magic the game I fell in love with.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

JerryLee posted:

For some reason, I don't think I ever twigged that Ekundu Cyclops and the other, lesser dick arts were drawn by the same dude.

Great window into a bygone golden era. That woman deserves a lion's share of my gratitude for making Magic the game I fell in love with.

As someone who got into the game with AVR releasing, looking back on this makes me wish I'd gotten into it when I had the chance. I remember my uncle and his friends playing Magic as a kid, and that would have been in the mid90s. Then I played pokemon because that's what my handful of friends were playing :sigh:

Really great read, and vouching that kill self promotion is always welcome in my eyes.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

kingcobweb posted:

Goddamnit, man. What a great read.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Fallorn posted:

Massdrop has all 5 2014 commander decks for $94.99 with $10 shipping so $105 shipped is that a bad deal? They also have the 2013 commander all 5 decks for $109.99 shipped or 99.99 if 20 people buy them are either of those worth it?

Commander 2013 will get you $30 off just True-Name and Toxic Deluge, there's probably enough value in the other cards to make it not a terrible idea.

Tertiary Stresses
Jul 27, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

This was fantastic. I love hearing stories and opinions about Magic and it's past that isn't published by Wizards. Since the majority of the written history of the game comes from the game's maker, there are whole parts of the narrative that are just missing and stories like this fill in those gaps. If you ever did more of these interviews I would love to read them.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Fallorn posted:

Those are solid prices if you want them for yourself. I still have my sealed set of each, but I'd be in otherwise.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Speaking of Commander, are there any prebuilt decks that I should be looking for to play with the roommates? They picked up a few of the prebuilts so I need to snag one too I suppose.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Note that the Massdrop for the Commander 2013 ones isn't all five decks, it's two Mind Seize and three random other decks.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
http://www.channelfireball.com/home/mm15-preview-card-gp-vegas-side-event-playmat-and-supplies/

New Clique GP Vegas playmat.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I appreciate how the new Clique art is the old Clique art.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

it would be sweet if it was the old clique instead of the new clique! either way it's better than the other one.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

New art is superior in every way. Confirmed.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I had completely missed that there's cards with Geof Darrow art. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Don't like the horrible main playmat? Trade it in for the Clique! Fab.

• Locked thread