Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

axelsoar posted:

It is pretty bad, you could maybe add some recipes to the fluid imposer, use liquifacted coal and something else maybe.
Fluid imposer or the fluid transposer? I couldn't see how I could get the fluid transposer to turn X into Y.

JerikTelorian posted:

What's the current pouplar modpack in the "Tekkit" style lately -- is this what Rocko has been talking about?

I rather liked Tekkit but as far as I can tell, that's pretty much been abandoned.

I never played Tekkit so I don't think I'd ever know. The Baby's First Space Race is supposed to be something like a soft introduction into all the technical mods, while also serving as laid-back therapy for advanced players who don't want to grind. I pretty much just threw together a bunch of mods for getting into space somewhat effectively, with a few quality-of-life improvements. Apparently that required 100 mods. I assembled a quest book as a guide for some super-beginners that I was going to be playing with. Since we were kind of constrained for game time, I tried to remove a bunch of grindy elements, which lead to a ridiculous ore generation rates and lots of lava pools for smeltery fuel.

My goal generally was once people were done with the quest book, they'd move on to one of the kitchen-sink packs, but everybody's hanging around and building houses and stuff now. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
What a bunch of freeloaders. Clearly you need to suddenly Gregtech it up in the next update. That'll get them off your drat lawn!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sage Grimm posted:

What a bunch of freeloaders. Clearly you need to suddenly Gregtech it up in the next update. That'll get them off your drat lawn!

Baby's First Space Race 1.4 release notes:

1. Replaced all ore with bedrock
2. Added Mo' Creatures because MY VISION
3. Made all bears infernal for BALANCE

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
And dont forget all the compressed nether star blocks needed to build basic machinery! :allears:

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Fluid imposer or the fluid transposer? I couldn't see how I could get the fluid transposer to turn X into Y.

You could make a recipe that gives fuel florbs as the final result is what I was thinking for the fluid transposer. Dunno how you add custom recipes for it though.

More needs to be done with florbs, Instead of fireworks the questbook should fire random florbs when you finish a quest.

edit: the transposer is the one that you use to fill stuff or make blaze powder, right?

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 21, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm trying to play with (mostly) only Botania and vanilla stuff on Progress. Anyone have recommendations for mana generation, since fountains and Thermalilies are out for me? Right now I've got two batteries of sixteen Htdroangeas each. It works,but afking for like an hour plus per terrasteel kinda stinks. Guess I could always make more water batteries...

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I don't know how committed you are to using Botania and absolutely nothing else, but if you're willing to dabble in an automatic tree farm of any sort (thaumcraft golems, enderIO, MFR, etc.), then you can have an open crate auto-drop charcoal onto a path with a daffomill at one end of it, and have it blow the charcoal down the path past a long line of endoflames. The endoflames will snag the charcoal as they need it as it blows past, and if you are having charcoal slip through you can catch it using a hopper, hopperhock, or just keep adding endoflames until no charcoal slips through anymore. Even if you don't want an automatic tree farm, you can generate loads and loads of mana by just dumping all your coal in there and using exoflames to power your furnaces instead.

Be warned, you'll need a TON of mana spreaders.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I'm trying to play with (mostly) only Botania and vanilla stuff on Progress. Anyone have recommendations for mana generation, since fountains and Thermalilies are out for me? Right now I've got two batteries of sixteen Htdroangeas each. It works,but afking for like an hour plus per terrasteel kinda stinks. Guess I could always make more water batteries...

If you want a load of mana fast, you'll want to look into the flowers that create mana in chunks with no cooldown aside from how fast they can shove mana into spreaders. Entropinnyums are good for this if you can get a constant flow of gunpowder from some source (like a creeper autospawner). Just be careful with where you drop the tnt. If all nearby entropinnyums are full, the explosion will destroy blocks as normal. The Kekimurus and Gourmaryllis can also be used this way. Cake factories are much safer than TNT factories, obviously. The Gourmaryllis will eat food even if it doesn't need to(at least according to this outdated wiki page I'm reading), so you'll need to drop it in a rhythm, not all at once.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I take it you can use the open crate / redstone / pressure plate stuff with the Gourmaryllis, the same way I use it with charcoal for my endoflames?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Datasmurf posted:

I take it you can use the open crate / redstone / pressure plate stuff with the Gourmaryllis, the same way I use it with charcoal for my endoflames?

No. Gourmaryllis flowers will eat all good available, regardless of if they're ready to produce more mana or not.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
As it happens, the Kekimurus is more well behaved, and will only eat cake when it has room for the mana.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mzbundifund posted:

I don't know how committed you are to using Botania and absolutely nothing else, but if you're willing to dabble in an automatic tree farm of any sort (thaumcraft golems, enderIO, MFR, etc.), then you can have an open crate auto-drop charcoal onto a path with a daffomill at one end of it, and have it blow the charcoal down the path past a long line of endoflames. The endoflames will snag the charcoal as they need it as it blows past, and if you are having charcoal slip through you can catch it using a hopper, hopperhock, or just keep adding endoflames until no charcoal slips through anymore. Even if you don't want an automatic tree farm, you can generate loads and loads of mana by just dumping all your coal in there and using exoflames to power your furnaces instead.

I may try this if I dig up a lot of coal, thanks. No automatic tree farm, though.

As far as commitment, I'm doing my best but I'm following the "Is poo poo" rules, including so far:

- Spawning Mechanics Are poo poo, so I have some Cursed Earth for an attempt at a Rosa Arcana farm (on hold)
- Waiting For Growth Ticks Is poo poo, so I have a watering can

I'm pondering extending that to "The Nether Is poo poo, So Fluid Transposer/Magma Crucible for Blaze Powder" :v:

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Mzbundifund posted:

I always use a vanilla dropper pumping out charcoal onto MFR conveyor belts that loop back around to a hopper going into the dropper.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Just how bad are Vanilla hoppers for servers?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

JerikTelorian posted:

What's the current pouplar modpack in the "Tekkit" style lately -- is this what Rocko has been talking about?

I rather liked Tekkit but as far as I can tell, that's pretty much been abandoned.

The 1.7.10 Pack (actual name) is pretty good. It has a couple of crappy mods in, but nothing as aggressively bad a Mo Creatures, and it's the most regularly updated modpack I've ever used. It has all the cool tech mods you could want too.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Something on the order of a base sized AE network, per hopper, iirc. They do something horrible like manually iterate through every single inventory slot of the block above them and their output inventory, every single tick. Taffer can probably give some a more concrete answer.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Are there any mods that have ways of slowing ticks down in an area? I know there's Torcherino if you want to speed things up, but was wondering if there was anything that could do the opposite.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Extremely

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ptroll posted:

Something on the order of a base sized AE network

it's much more than this

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
OMP-i server pack still a thing you need to get in contact for? Sent StealthArcher a steam invite to chat about it.

edit: got hooked up, thanks!

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 22, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I thought the problems with hoppers were fixed with Forge installed.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Ahh that's what I thought too. I remember there being some mention that there had been a common fix for it that was just a mod that in itself replaced the hopper mechanics (Hopper Ducts?)

Does anybody know the right metadata to create a wither skeleton spawner? I thought the representation was:
code:
{ "EntityId": "Skeleton", "SkeletonType": 1}

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

I may try this if I dig up a lot of coal, thanks. No automatic tree farm, though.

As far as commitment, I'm doing my best but I'm following the "Is poo poo" rules, including so far:

- Spawning Mechanics Are poo poo, so I have some Cursed Earth for an attempt at a Rosa Arcana farm (on hold)

If you're willing to accept a single non-botania recipe, you might pull something similar to the charcoal plan with sugar charcoal. You might be able to rig something up involving agricarnations, drums of the wild, sugar cane fields, hopperhocks, crafty crates, and exoflame-powered furnaces.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I'm pondering extending that to "The Nether Is poo poo, So Fluid Transposer/Magma Crucible for Blaze Powder" :v:

I plan on making a laser fence with my botania setup.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Well on ModSauce I have probably the fastest mob farm,

Last night i was getting 10k leather per 5 seconds.

a large rectangle,
1/3 of it at one end has diamond spikes, with a row of 5 chests with vacuum hoppers at the very end (pushing xp into openblock tanks and the items into the chests which are exported out into the ME system)
up either side fans blowing diagonally in to the middle and towards the spikes.

Soul cages with T5 shards at the moment i have 6 cages,
Endermen, blazes, cows, iron golems, wither skeletons, witches (I was doing zombie pigmen for gold but replaced them with the golems when i managed to make my T5 golems)

they spawn and within 2 seconds are dead on the spikes.

Can anyone think of a faster way (without using MFR grinders)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

I plan on making a laser fence with my botania setup.

That would be more viable if mana spreaders didn't take a percentage of the mana every time they fire a burst. I think it's 5%?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

Well on ModSauce I have probably the fastest mob farm,

Last night i was getting 10k leather per 5 seconds.

a large rectangle,
1/3 of it at one end has diamond spikes, with a row of 5 chests with vacuum hoppers at the very end (pushing xp into openblock tanks and the items into the chests which are exported out into the ME system)
up either side fans blowing diagonally in to the middle and towards the spikes.

Soul cages with T5 shards at the moment i have 6 cages,
Endermen, blazes, cows, iron golems, wither skeletons, witches (I was doing zombie pigmen for gold but replaced them with the golems when i managed to make my T5 golems)

they spawn and within 2 seconds are dead on the spikes.

Can anyone think of a faster way (without using MFR grinders)

I don't think MFR grinders can work that fast. It takes about a second for a grinder to kill a single mob. But the server admins might appreciate it if you switched to grinders so the server isn't spawning, tracking, and deleting 10,000 entities every 2 seconds.

Edit: You could have the vaccum hoppers dump directly into ME interfaces, since anything pushed into an ME interface gets put into the system immediately so it might be faster than whatever you have set up.
Edit2: Considering your spawning and murder setup, I don't think there is anything that can scale to meet your slaughter speed need.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 22, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

I don't think MFR grinders can work that fast. It takes about a second for a grinder to kill a single mob. But the server admins might appreciate it if you switched to grinders so the server isn't spawning, tracking, and deleting 10,000 entities every 2 seconds.

Edit: You could have the vaccum hoppers dump directly into ME interfaces, since anything pushed into an ME interface gets put into the system immediately so it might be faster than whatever you have set up.
Edit2: Considering your spawning and murder setup, I don't think there is anything that can scale to meet your slaughter speed need.

the problem i have is channels, I have usually one import and one export per area and the rest is all enderio conduits and speed upgrades

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

That would be more viable if mana spreaders didn't take a percentage of the mana every time they fire a burst. I think it's 5%?

That's only if you have a spreader fire to a spreader (which is 15%). As long as it's within range, and there's no other factors, spreaders can move mana to mana pools all day long without loss.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I figured I'd update on my dabbling with CoFH generators. I should thank skyboy for putting up with me. I thought he was kind of abrasive in IRC, but then somebody logged in and told everybody they needed "a coder" to implement their idea of adding a MMORPG to Minecraft. So I kind of understand the signal-to-noise ratio in popular modding culture now.

At least the dungeon and lake generators are just 1:1 copies of the vanilla generators, so any problems with them would theoretically be a problem in vanilla, except now there are adjustment nobs (pun intended) to go cause them to screw up spectacularly. In my case with lakes, I had compelled them to try to generate at a rate of one or more per chunk. With The Nether, I was looking at potentially multiple levels, so potentially multiple lakes. However, with these odds, I hit a runaway condition with an otherwise vanilla Minecraft instance. It would generate a lake on a new chunk's edge, which would cause a new chunk to load, which would trigger the generator to make another lake, and so on and so forth, until the call stack explodes 6 km away in freshly-generated chunks. I was able to clamp the coordinates so the generator wouldn't trigger any new chunk generator, but that would make a lot of lakes conspicuously stop at the edge of chunks. To do it right would mean divorcing from the vanilla lake generator and coming up with something that would know to finish off lakes from adjacent chunks when necessary.

In BFSR, I can't get lakes to generate at all. I assume it's because of all the ore generation, but I have added the ore blocks to valid blocks that can be blown away. Still no dice. So I guess I'll add debug statements to that generator, figure out how to reobfuscate it, and substitute it in a test BFSR instance.

The dungeon generator is particularly mind-boggling. It was pretty much impossible to get it to generate in The Nether due to all the air blocks. When I changed the logic to be more generous, it would not generate in any way correctly. This is apparently with the vanilla code with some adjustments for customization. So whatevers. I guess I'll see if what I did is any better by trying it out in the Overworld. If it works all right, I'll submit a pull request for that and a few other little fixes I had implemented where optional arguments were choking when they weren't defined.

Personally, I think a terrain generator should be able to handle some of this level of sadism, but not in good conscience if they're just exposing the vanilla generators for now. They become very difficult to write if a generator has to cut itself short at a chunk boundary while simultaneously being aware of prior elements in existing chunks that it might have to extend into the chunk it's currently generating.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

McFrugal posted:

I thought the problems with hoppers were fixed with Forge installed.

Forge fixes some things, and cauldron fixes even more, but even with both of those hoppers can still be server crushers in certain configurations

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Taffer posted:

Forge fixes some things, and cauldron fixes even more, but even with both of those hoppers can still be server crushers in certain configurations

Shouldn't cause problems in singleplayer, right?

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I figured I'd update on my dabbling with CoFH generators. I should thank skyboy for putting up with me. I thought he was kind of abrasive in IRC, but then somebody logged in and told everybody they needed "a coder" to implement their idea of adding a MMORPG to Minecraft. So I kind of understand the signal-to-noise ratio in popular modding culture now.

At least the dungeon and lake generators are just 1:1 copies of the vanilla generators, so any problems with them would theoretically be a problem in vanilla, except now there are adjustment nobs (pun intended) to go cause them to screw up spectacularly. In my case with lakes, I had compelled them to try to generate at a rate of one or more per chunk. With The Nether, I was looking at potentially multiple levels, so potentially multiple lakes. However, with these odds, I hit a runaway condition with an otherwise vanilla Minecraft instance. It would generate a lake on a new chunk's edge, which would cause a new chunk to load, which would trigger the generator to make another lake, and so on and so forth, until the call stack explodes 6 km away in freshly-generated chunks. I was able to clamp the coordinates so the generator wouldn't trigger any new chunk generator, but that would make a lot of lakes conspicuously stop at the edge of chunks. To do it right would mean divorcing from the vanilla lake generator and coming up with something that would know to finish off lakes from adjacent chunks when necessary.

In BFSR, I can't get lakes to generate at all. I assume it's because of all the ore generation, but I have added the ore blocks to valid blocks that can be blown away. Still no dice. So I guess I'll add debug statements to that generator, figure out how to reobfuscate it, and substitute it in a test BFSR instance.

The dungeon generator is particularly mind-boggling. It was pretty much impossible to get it to generate in The Nether due to all the air blocks. When I changed the logic to be more generous, it would not generate in any way correctly. This is apparently with the vanilla code with some adjustments for customization. So whatevers. I guess I'll see if what I did is any better by trying it out in the Overworld. If it works all right, I'll submit a pull request for that and a few other little fixes I had implemented where optional arguments were choking when they weren't defined.

Personally, I think a terrain generator should be able to handle some of this level of sadism, but not in good conscience if they're just exposing the vanilla generators for now. They become very difficult to write if a generator has to cut itself short at a chunk boundary while simultaneously being aware of prior elements in existing chunks that it might have to extend into the chunk it's currently generating.

Stop being such a smug shitlord about modded minecraft

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rocko, here are some things to maybe keep in mind for updates:

--The quest "I Pick You" still refers to the high oven.
--After updating the COFH mods, TiCon, and Thermal Smeltery, icons for TiCon tools disappear from the quest book.
----Most recent version of Thermal Smeltery fixes bug with travelers' armor crashing when you try to modify it.
--The graphite quest says you need to smelt charcoal to make graphite, but regular coal works just as well.
--Trying to use channels to get fluids into the smeltery always seems to end in a net loss for me (3 buckets of water input yielded 2500 mb of water in the smeltery), it's easier to just put a drain on the top level pointing downwards, then just tank with a faucet pouring in.
Picture for reference:

I'm also working on getting a soartex setup for the pack, some mods haven't been done in soartex and I might see if sphax versions of those ones are usable, but some are things just things coming from mods splitting into multiple packages, like the TE ores.

Not particularly related to Baby's First Space Race, what exactly are the thermal dynamics retrievers /for/? I get servos for pulling from an inventory, and I get filters for choosing what should go into an inventory. But I haven't come across any documentation on what the retrievers are used for.

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 22, 2015

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

taiyoko posted:

--After updating the COFH mods, TiCon, and Thermal Smeltery, icons for TiCon tools disappear from the quest book.

"After loving around with the pack, the pack broke"

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Maiden posted:

It still works, just the icons are invisible. And if he updates, he'll probably want to know that happens.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Maiden posted:

Stop being such a smug shitlord about modded minecraft

What the christ? I'm trying to just get some record down somewhere of all the stuff going on with editing CoFH generators, since there really isn't much of a trail about some of the intricacies of the new features. I'm trying to eventually contribute some code patches and documentation for it as a way of giving back.

Edit: Oh . . . I should qualify: I am the nob. The nob is me.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 22, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

taiyoko posted:

----Most recent version of Thermal Smeltery fixes bug with travelers' armor crashing when you try to modify it.
--The graphite quest says you need to smelt charcoal to make graphite, but regular coal works just as well.
--Trying to use channels to get fluids into the smeltery always seems to end in a net loss for me (3 buckets of water input yielded 2500 mb of water in the smeltery), it's easier to just put a drain on the top level pointing downwards, then just tank with a faucet pouring in.
Picture for reference:

You can also put the portable tank directly on the drain, and wrench it to set it to output mode. Much faster than a faucet.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Might try Rocko's pack at some point but for some reason I get an error message trying to install it on technic, saying it's offline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Maiden posted:

I just interpreted as "watch out for that when you update those mods." I had said I was going to be updating the entire CoFH stack before the next release, and probably TiCon while I was at it.

taiyoko posted:

Thanks for specifying which quest still mentions the high oven. I can't readily search the quest book. It's in a binary format, and although some of the text is exposed, finding a hit only gives me a clue where to look.

taiyoko posted:

It's probably some of the data values for the items moving around. This happened in a previous update, and I had to re-assign all of them in the quest book. It was good I had a back up because the first . . . four times I tried caused the quest book to completely corrupt itself. I still don't know entirely how that happened.

quote:

I did not know that. I wonder if that was not true in the 1.6.4 stuff I used to play.

quote:

Picture for reference:

... that works? I thought you needed the drain the other way.

I've seen fluid loss in channels before, and I think it always happens from a channel volunteering to connect to a little extra stuff that just the drain. What probably happened when you lost fluid was the channel connected to and adjacent block. I usually put the input drain above my controller. To the left or right is usually an output drain to a casting table. The channel, when placed, will form an L-intersection with that output drain. It looks like that will trap some fluid or something. I think it even prevented stuff from actually entering the smeltery before. I right-clicked on it on the offending size, and that disabled that it. There was peace in the world once more after that, and 784mB of odd lava in the smeltery from beforehand.

Not related to my stuff, but since your quote's already in my window:

quote:

Not particularly related to Baby's First Space Race, what exactly are the thermal dynamics retrievers /for/? I get servos for pulling from an inventory, and I get filters for choosing what should go into an inventory. But I haven't come across any documentation on what the retrievers are used for.
I never use them, but got the rundown on them in a Direwolf video one time while doing my shoulder exercises. Yeah, it has been hard to search for information on them since they are so recent. I believe you put them at destination in order to pull objects. My mind has kind of melted as to the significance of that over servo/filters; I felt enlightened when I first saw it, but have never felt compelled to use one since.

• Locked thread